• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some Snake matchup help

7Dank

Smash Rookie
I've been having some problems with two particular matchups with Snake: Marth and Peach. I went to my first tourney the other day and got rocked by both, not only because they were good players but because I have next to no matchup experience with either character.

For Peach, I mostly need to know how to deal with FC aerials into her grounded moves. The Peach player I fought often went for FC fair into jab or dsmash, and that beat out upb oos every time. I generally was having a hard time adapting to the pressure, partially because I'm inexperienced. I know this is a matchup Snake should theoretically win since she's light and floaty and will die quickly to explosions, so any tips for winning neutral, not getting edgeguarded, and applying pressure?

Marth is also a big thorn in my side. I know this isn't supposed to be a good matchup for Snake, but I'm not even sure where to start in trying to manage it. What I would like to know is

- Tips for the neutral game. Should I be campy with grenades and try to make an opening? I know marth has a way better neutral than Snake but I can't think of many good ways to approach the scenario. It seems that once I get into his range there isn't any escape.

-How to recover against marth. I think I might know how to manage this after putting some thought into it, but I'm not sure. Would it be good to use C4 recovery with no DI just so I can recover high and cover my landing with C4, grenades, and b turnarounds? Every time I recovered low or went to the edge I ate a dair/dtilt/fsmash.

-Good stage picks against Marth, as well as bad stage picks. I was thinking Dreamland so I could live longer and still have platforms to maneuver and put mines on, but Snake doesn't have too many reliable horizontal kill options and the bigger ceiling means he won't die to my main kill option in uair/uthrow/utilt sticky.

Sorry if this post is rambly, I just wanted to know if any other, more accomplished Snake mains could give me a little advice.

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
For your Peach question: FC Fair is +4 on shield optimally, so you literally can't up b oos. you need to wait out whatever mixup she goes for and punish that. Jabs lose to shield grab, d-smash loses to WD oos or dair oos.

Marth I find you need to bait and punish a lot. Use aggressive grenade movement for pressure.

A lot of people feel more comfortable recovering high against marth so I encourage that, but know as well that you can ledgetech dair really easily and the other options only work if you misspace your ledgegrab.

Stages are up in the air imo. Try to stay away from GHZ. The rest seem alright to me.

Last edited:

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Marth is a tough one... Peach you just have to make sure you space everything well so you don't get d-smashed. Also (obviously) don't cc against Peach. You can camp marth out with nades, tranqs, etc. Marth is a rough matchup.. You just have to learn how adopt the fit playstyle against him. Hope I helped.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
As for stages pick Wario Land or PS2 against Peach as they have very low ceilings. Try to ban FD against Marth. That's about it.

Top Bottom