• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Some Serious help with these matchups

dgalv7

Smash Rookie
Ok so I am having some really hard times with fast characters like fox, sonic, pichu, and shulk in some cases (his speed activation). I can't use my original strategy against them which is to build a wall, because their speed and agility allow them to outmaneuver me. Do any of you have the same trouble with these characters and how do you go about beating them? I don't think I've beaten one good fox in elite smash and its frustrating. No matter what I do I can't defend myself. Thanks.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Speedy characters, especially speedy and small do have a noticeable advantage over Robin, but there is a reason why one of Robin's infamous lines is "Tip the scales".

When against these fighters it is important to exploit openings. Pichu is the easiest for this because a skilled Pichu has to be committed due to its lack of range. When it misses, punish and if you fail to or are countered/too slow, try again with a different opening.

I have faced a good Fox before, and with a replay to boot, but I can't say I have enough experience to offer recommendations.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Speedy characters are some of the toughest for us to deal with. The best way I can describe what you need to do in these matchups is level up your "wall" into Robin's complete "Zone" by incorporating you Levin aerials. A complete circular area around you is much more effective at defending against smaller and more maneuverable characters, compared to the arcfires and elthunders that suffice for Ganondorf.

The second most important thing you need to do against these characters is move around. A lot. Fast characters can easily attack from advantageous positions and with setups; the best defense against that is to not be standing in one place.

CrimsonAvenger

Smash Rookie
stay away from spamming arc fire, the recovery is easy to punish for fast characters. instead use thunder. they will end up trying to short hop in. that's when you short hop attack up with fAir or nAir. Also fast characters usually run a pattern as they are so fast it can be hard to react into a combo. I find that infinite jab is great here. they tend to run right into it. especially those who rely heavily on combos starting with a grab.

Perfect patricia

Smash Apprentice
I can’t seem to beat the ones that dash dance a lot I can’t tell what their gonna do and one mistake and they get to punish across the screen. How do I beat this cheap strategy

CrimsonAvenger

Smash Rookie
I can’t seem to beat the ones that dash dance a lot I can’t tell what their gonna do and one mistake and they get to punish across the screen. How do I beat this cheap strategy
There is no easy solution here. You need to practice proper spacing. Work on staying just outside their attack reach. try to bait them into making a mistake. short hopping in and pulling back to land can help put pressure on them. If you block and get chance to strike back use a jab. And make sure to use the elwind jab. if they spot dodge or short hop, the elwind jabs usually still hit. short hopping around the stage will reduce the effectiveness of enemy dash dancing and probably lead to them short hopping to attack you. prepare for that and your Levin sword will give you the advantage. Also keep arc thunder as your main thunder attack until they hit ~60%. It does massive damage and has a good size hit box and keeps them in block long enough to grab them. After 60% switch to thoron for a fThrow into Thoron combo kill. Above all else, you need to capitalize on ledge guarding. If you send them off ledge, use your superior recovery to go after them and finish the kill. dArial and UpB Elwind spike very well, and nAir Levin knocks sideways and slighly down. Otherwise if they are near the ceiling, always use Arial uSmash.
If you are coming back, ALWAYS throw am arc fire at the ledge to protect your recovery.

Top Bottom