• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice

Sleazybadass

Smash Rookie
Hey guys and gals,

I've been watching melee tournaments for a long time now, and I've played smash games casually since I was a kid, but recently I've gotten the urge to try and learn the melee and take it seriously.
I've been playing LoL for 10 years and just don't have the ability to commit to such long matches anymore (single father of a year old) and I've always been interested in melee.

So basically, I'm wondering what you guys think I should do to start learning. I've never been able to consistently do any thing technical with a controller but with slippi and the ability to use a keyboard I actually can wavedash and lag cancel things (wow player when I was a young'n and like I said league from my teens into my late 20s so keyboards are second nature to me controllers are like reading Japanese lol) so do you guys think I should stick with the keyboard or should I just nut up and really start from scratch with a controller(I have a GameCube controller and adapter I use to play other GameCube games on dolphin)

Also, when I try to play online I just get ****ing trashed by like some flaco 4 stocking me and I have no chance to do **** to him. I don't think I can just grind uncle punch for months without ever playing a match and enjoying the game basically. So if you were a total noob ....like below bronze like cardboard level player how would you learn the game would you grind it out in uncle punch or grind it out against gods online lol?

Sorry for the long post just excited and I only talk to a 1 year old so nice to use words other than ba ba and no haha

Sleazybadass

Smash Rookie
Also what character should I main I tend to stick to one character for years at a time (I've played jax since beta in league have well over 1000 games on him) so not scared to just play one character ..but fox and Falco seem so far outta my skill level I like marth but also seems a little advanced so who would be a nice easy character to learn the game on and be viable enough to win matches

Vlade

Social Outcast
Not sure how viable keyboards are but if it doesn't work out maybe you could try a hitbox-style controller? It's more similar to a keyboard than a traditional controller at least.

You do need to grind a base level of tech skill to be able to 'play' melee. Everyone who plays melee has put in this baseline level of work which you can't really just learn through matchplay, it's kind of like learning an instrument, a lot of focused repetition. If you want to get straight into matches you could maybe start learning the game with Jigglypuff, get a grasp of the basics first and then transition to another character (that's how I first learnt melee in 2007). But you're absolutely right, whoever you end up picking, you need to stick with them for best improvement.

Top Bottom