• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
By D-pad I assume you mean control stick, and smash boosting is kinda tricky to get constantly. The best way to practice it is to use Snake, as his is the easiest(as well as most useful) to do. The other characters require stricter timing so your imputing the commands within about a fraction of a second, so it can be hard. Hitting your opponent with your dash attack increases the window you have to input up-Z.

Don't worry if you can't get if off 100% of time. I still have trouble doing it consistently with Falco :ohwell:.
Yea sorry I meant control stick, d-pad always comes to my mind when I think of it for some reason.

I use it with wolf and it comes in handy, I'll try practicing with snake, thanks.

Umpadumpalump

Smash Apprentice
I need advice for a tactic I call Infinite Dodging which is a tactic my friend frequently. He dodges about the stage. Dodging towards me, away from me, etc. Usually when he gets close he uses a down smash which is really annoying when he uses ROB. when he gets far away he spams projectiles to the fullest. I've tried SGing, but it doesn't seem to work well enough. Does anyone have advice?

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Thats rolling dude

I need help. Since I learned about choosing stages in tourneys, I've had a dilemma, this may sound stupid but, when you lose and its your turn to pick, can you pick a neutral stage, or does it have to be a counterpick stage, also can you pick a stage more than once?

RedfishX

Smash Cadet
I have two questions:

1) *not ENTIRELY tactic related* Is there a place where the dead threads go? I mean, if something is gone, never to come back, and some people don't know about it...well, that's kind of a shame, right?

2) *now this is tactic related* Can you do ISJR after a "Footstool Jump" if time allows?

EDIT:

Forget Number 1, I googled up http://smashboards.com/archive/

Still need number two.

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
Thats rolling dude

I need help. Since I learned about choosing stages in tourneys, I've had a dilemma, this may sound stupid but, when you lose and its your turn to pick, can you pick a neutral stage, or does it have to be a counterpick stage, also can you pick a stage more than once?
It can be either Neutral or Counterpick as long as it's not banned from the set(generally one neutral and one counterpick are agreed to be banned by both players in the set). I believe you can only play a stage once per set, but don't quote me on that.

Cyan_

Smash Lord
Is having a Gamecube controller with a busted C-stick really bad? My GC controller's C-Stick does not work at all, but the rest of the controller works perfectly fine. Should I buy a new one or should I just keep this one?

I don't really use the C-stick (well cause I can't), but is it really "faster" than using the control stick + A? In tournamet play, do people use C-stick a lot? Does it just come down to preference?

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
Is having a Gamecube controller with a busted C-stick really bad? My GC controller's C-Stick does not work at all, but the rest of the controller works perfectly fine. Should I buy a new one or should I just keep this one?

I don't really use the C-stick (well cause I can't), but is it really "faster" than using the control stick + A? In tournamet play, do people use C-stick a lot? Does it just come down to preference?
It would be wise to invest in a new controller. The C-stick makes doing things like smash boosting much easier. Plus it also allows you to space your aerials better. There is also B-sticking which can do some interesting things with specials.

In short, the C-stick can really help your game and you should defiantly try and get a new controller.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Even if you, personally, don't make use of techs that the C-stick makes easier, your friends might. If not for yourself, get the new controller for your buds - they'll appreciate it when they come over.

Also, have you tried just opening up the controller? I've fixed three "busted" C-sticks by cleaning the area on/under/around the joysticks. No idea why it worked - it simply did. You need a Tri-Wing screwdriver ($3 on eBay), but it's well worth the investment, especially since you can use long-gone controllers as spare parts for repairing semi-working ones.

Heavenly Cloud

Smash Apprentice
Was gonna post this on the TLink forums, but i found this; What are the mechanics/limitations of ledgeguarding with the hookshot? I've seen people do it repeatly to ledgeguard and keep invincibilty frames and I've been wondering how it works.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
you can only grab a ledge three times wiht it before it ceases to work. Just press away from the edge, hit z, hit a. Repeat up to 3 times.

Heavenly Cloud

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thanks for the info. Love the Wu-Tang reference btw... whats the N stand for though?

Here comes the Nizzah

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
What does QAC mean? I see this everywhere and I want to know!

Also, how is it done and which characters can use it?
It's Quick Attack Cancel.

It's a Pika tech used by Quick Attacking into the ground at an angle that lets you move around quickly and (I think) use aerials with little to no landing lag.

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
what does gimp mean everyone always says it i know there gimpyfish but what gimp
A gimp is when someone is trying to recover and the opponent does something to prevent them from coming back. Things that people often refer to as "gimping" include knocking them further out from the stage, using something like Sonic's spring to waste their second jump, footstooling, and stage spiking. Gimping is not limited to just your opponents actions though; stages can gimp you too. Generally it has to do with the stage's ledges like Final Destination's lip, Lylat Cruise's tilting, and Pokemon Stadium's awful ledges.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I have seen people mention that for the IC's fair, only Nana's attack spikes, but my friend who mains IC tells me that both can spike. Does anyone know with certainty which is true?
That would be Nana only.
Your friend is a lie.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm getting to the point where practicing my game with Olimar(spikes, throwing practice, SH-ff, gimping with purples, combos, etc.) doesn't feel like it's doing anything for me. It's easy to jump off and spike, the pikmin seem to go faster and straighter now(easy to aim), and SHs and ffs are becoming more instinctive now. It feels like if i do anything besides play with real people, I'm just hurting my game now. It's not too easy to spike people like I can the cpus and aiming the pikmin is harder in real matches b/c real people jump around when pikmin are thrown at them. Is there something I'm missing here? I know y'all can't immediately read my mind right now, but has anyone else gone through this stage in brawl yet?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
it's a complicated way to mention a pivot into a jump, meaning you run>pivot>jump.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I just wanna know, what does RAR mean?
Reverse Aerial Rush: Running, pivoting in the opposite direction by tapping in the opposite direction on the analog stick, and jumping while resuming your original momentum by pressing the analog stick in the original direction. i.e. Running right, jam left, jump and hold right again.

This is used to approach with your Bairs without having to be previously facing away from your opponent. This can also be done by setting you C Stick to Specials and tapping the C Stick in the opposite direction you are running in.

MECH

Smash Rookie
I'm getting to the point where practicing my game with Olimar(spikes, throwing practice, SH-ff, gimping with purples, combos, etc.) doesn't feel like it's doing anything for me. It's easy to jump off and spike, the pikmin seem to go faster and straighter now(easy to aim), and SHs and ffs are becoming more instinctive now. It feels like if i do anything besides play with real people, I'm just hurting my game now. It's not too easy to spike people like I can the cpus and aiming the pikmin is harder in real matches b/c real people jump around when pikmin are thrown at them. Is there something I'm missing here? I know y'all can't immediately read my mind right now, but has anyone else gone through this stage in brawl yet?
Yea, I've been at that stage for a little while and I think the only thing you can do, provided you don't have anyone to play against, is try to mix up your own gamestyle. Try and fight different CPU's if you aren't and try to throw in moves that you wouldn't normally do so you can ajdust to different situations. i.e. let the CPU knock you off the stage and if he edge guards you, try using different tactics of getting back or even pretend someone is ledgehogging you.

Just some random tips :)

MECH

Smash Rookie
I have a question concerning boost smashing and I know it's been covered on how to do it, but I was wondering if every character can do it, or just a select few?

So far, I know:
Snake
Falco
Sheik (I think)

but beyond that, I'm clueless. This would be very helpful to know if Marth, Fox, or C. Falcon can.
Thx in advance.

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
^^ If your talking about Hyphen Smashing, every character can do it. Only Snake, Falco, Link (I think), and Shiek can do the dash attack>> up-smash that make them slide across the stage, and only Snake and maybe Falco can do it without hitting your opponent first. I can't recall if Falco can or not..

I have a question myself, so Ill ask it.

I know that somewhere I've seen a tactic with Lucas that if your edge-guarding, you can PKThunder your opponent, pull them into you, and hit them with the whole PKT2. Can anyone find a video with this, or tell me what direction the PK thunder has to go to pull the opponent into you? I thought it was just simply "drawing" a figure 8 and when the PK thunder returns it pulls your opponent, but I can't do it or figure out how the person did it....
:ohwell:

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
I have a question concerning boost smashing and I know it's been covered on how to do it, but I was wondering if every character can do it, or just a select few?

So far, I know:
Snake
Falco
Sheik (I think)

but beyond that, I'm clueless. This would be very helpful to know if Marth, Fox, or C. Falcon can.
Thx in advance.
The characters that can do it are Snake, Link, Falco, Wario, Jiggs, and Sheik. Other characters may be able to do it but only those characters get a significant boost from it.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
How do you do utilts and ftilts? Every time I try, they turn into smash attacks. It's probably just a matter of timing, but is there really any trick to it?

FEJunkie

Smash Apprentice
How do you do utilts and ftilts? Every time I try, they turn into smash attacks. It's probably just a matter of timing, but is there really any trick to it?
Your probably smashing the control stick when you try to tilt. The trick is to only lightly tap it. You could also try holding that direction and press the attack button to tilt. Up tilts are also slightly easier to do with tap jump off.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Well I know that DI is direction influence but I people always say, nice DI, so my question is, how do you use DI?
To use DI, you basically tilt the joystick in a alternative direction from the one your traveling in.
like for example, you get hit to right side in the air, You can then either hold the stick up or down.
Or if your traveling upward, hold the stick left or right.
DI is all about controlling your momentum and where your traveling.
-t2

chckn

Smash Ace
Ater playing a GW ditto, I became very confused on the mechanics of stage teching. I was at 54% on pokemon stadium 1 n my oponent hit me with a dsmash, I guess i accidently teched b/c i didnt move anywhere and went straight into my "get up" animation. I know that cc is no longer existent so this really confusted me. may be a n00b question but idk lol. help anyone?

I have this recorded but youtube has been ghey and wont let me upload anything -_-

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea, I've been at that stage for a little while and I think the only thing you can do, provided you don't have anyone to play against, is try to mix up your own gamestyle. Try and fight different CPU's if you aren't and try to throw in moves that you wouldn't normally do so you can ajdust to different situations. i.e. let the CPU knock you off the stage and if he edge guards you, try using different tactics of getting back or even pretend someone is ledgehogging you.

Just some random tips :)
thanks, I guess I could try out some different things, but I'm pretty comfortable with my playstyle.

1) Is there a thread somewhere where I can report spam threads? If so, could somoene link it?

Anyways, I'm reporting a thread:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4699231#post4699231

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
wow, I feel kinda dumb^. Your whole signature isn't showing terios.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
No biggie. At least you know the search function is there. Right?

Yeah. I know. I wanted those userbars.

I think I'm going to remove them.

... You have almost as many posts as I have. I've been here for 2 years....

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, I know where the search functions are. I'm not really new to smashboards though. I just started to get competitive in melee about a month before the announcement of brawl. I decided I wouldn't make an account until brawl came out though.

You must have really liked sonic to make that account that long ago eh? Is there a sight where you can get the userbars from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom