• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need helping find a main or mains

CursedKaiju

Smash Apprentice
Let me start off by saying that I have been playing pm since late 3.5, so I have been playing for a while. I didn't really take pm seriously until 3.6. When I started playing I had a couple of friends who would also play with me but didn't take it seriously. I played sonic in 3.5 and started to in 3.6 until my friends started to complain that I was too good with him and it was taking the fun out of the game for them. To keep my friends playing I decided to main the random button which ****ed me over in a sense. I started learning all the characters and began to enjoy most of them. Fast forward about 3 1/2 - 4 years and no longer play with those friends, but made new one that take pm seriously. Anyways because of how long I have played random I have the hardest time sticking to a main because I enjoy so much of the cast. Playing random has slowed down my progress and I want to stick with 1 or 2 characters, but have no idea who. Can I get some help picking a main?

TLDR: I enjoy playing more than half the cast, but need to widdle that down to 1 or 2 characters.

I guess you took a look at your stats? If not, could be a good start.

At least it could help narrowing it down to a quarter of the cast or so.

Last edited:

CursedKaiju

Smash Apprentice
Im not the most consistent player, so stats don't really help that much.

CursedKaiju

Smash Apprentice
When it comes to comboing there are 3 characters that come to mind. Mario has been a character who has always felt comfortable to me, even after months of not playing him or pm. My friends also say that my mario is like a top 4 character for me and can be pretty scary once I get going. Pit is someone who I have pulled off some of the sickest combos and have had the most fun playing, granted may be one of my least consistent characters. I've pulled of some of most crazy and Armada like combos which has always impressed everyone who has played against it. Last is sonic, who is fun but I also feel really grimey whenever I play him. While I can pull some sick combos with him because I am one of the few in my group who can actually moonwalk I have cheezed people with spamming homing attack, killing of the top and feel like an ass afterwords.

Nice. So Mario, Pit and Sonic (for combos). You feel you can KO easily with these three?* Is there other characters with whom you feel you can secure KOs easily with?

Also what's your opinion on Doc Mario? I have a friend, very good with Mario since Smash 64 but god he hates the Flood thing so he always plays the Doc now.

*just asking because combo speaking, Pit and Sonic are known for sick combos but not much players can get KOs easily while playing them. Therefore, it sometimes backfires because they just give their opponents rage and then gets their butt kicked to the blast zone (you probably know what i mean).

CursedKaiju

Smash Apprentice
pm doesnt have rage or doc as a seperate character nor mario having flood. Anyways all of the characters I feel like I can ko well enough with

Damn! I didn't noticed you were playing Project M, sorry mate. No rage, no Doc and no flood then.

I'm pretty sure Mario would be the best choice then, he's just so good (especially without flood imo). He's the kind of character that have no real weakness (and plenty of strong points).

You could have Pit as your secondary? and Sonic when you're angry at players and want to cheese the hell out of them :p ? (not too often)

Does it make any sense?

Last edited:

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
Considering your character history, I would recommend that you main Sonic. It seems like you have gotten the furthest with him, and he has the most potential as a character in terms of neutral, punish, and edgeguard game (there are crazy amount of options from spin charge and somersault). It also seems like you are serious about PM, so Sonic will always be a more meta-relevant threat and can realistically be solo-mained. I would recommend watching Aion or Jfyst for learning more about the character.

Mario is great but he has seriously limited neutral options and cannot contest characters with better zoning ability or better speed. Things like Wolf's lasers and DK and GnW's big hitboxes shut him down. He also has rather limited edgeguarding ability. His combo is really good AND really fun, but you will probably reach a limit with him at some point. If you want to keep him as a secondary, that's fine, but I would probably not main him. Watch Gallo for learning more about the character.

Pit is actually garbage, just don't.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about what other people think of your play-style or your "cheese." There will always be salty players, and even more salty johners, like your previous friend group. If you find Sonic fun, satisfying, and deep (and he is), then go ahead and play him like a champ. Also, I would recommend laughing whenever you do your Sonic "cheese"; just laughing about it can make you feel much less grimy, lighten up the atmosphere, and dissipate the salt and make the moment feel funny instead. Don't be socially pressured into not playing a character you are clearly good with, because at the end of the day PM is a video game and you should do whatever the **** you want and enjoy it your own way.

I hope this helped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom