• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with Up+B Cancel

Marshall

Smash Rookie
I've seen it happen, i just wanna know, how do i do this exactly?

I just can't pick up the right technique, thanks in advance.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
use the search function the site has... It will give you all the advice you need.

After that it is all finger memory

alcheato

Smash Ace
Just practice and you'll get it eventually. When I was first learning this I found it helped to try it at 2/3 speed in training mode and to look at my finger placement on the controller until I had it down. Hope that helps.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
me too, I think it just requires better timing...or quickly jerking the control stick back...not sure

SmashMac

Smash Lord
It's just the timing. Once you get used to the timing, it's not that hard. In reality, there's no need to "slam" or "jerk" the control stick. At first you may need to in order to learn the timing but once the timing is learned, you'll only have to flick the control stick the other direction (without that much pressure). Actually, the way I do the Up+B cancel is just by flicking it in the opposite direction with really no pressure.

Marshall

Smash Rookie
So, basically, if you do the Up+B up+right diagonally, you need to move the control stick up+left?

SmashMac

Smash Lord
So, basically, if you do the Up+B up+right diagonally, you need to move the control stick up+left?
If you did the Up+B cancel up and to the right, the cancel would be down and to the left. If you did the Up+B cancel up and to the left, the cancel would be down and to the right. The cancel has to take place 1/15th seconds after the Up+B, which is 4 frames. The cancel, in other words, is the exact opposite of your Up+B's direction, in 4 frames (1/15th seconds).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Try to master it. If you can, Doc suddnely has Falco's shine o_O

drummer_kid

Smash Cadet
i dont even see the real point of it if you cant do it all the time so i dont even try to do it in combat

ive done it a couple times but only after endless failing:laugh:

alcheato

Smash Ace
i dont even see the real point of it if you cant do it all the time so i dont even try to do it in combat

ive done it a couple times but only after endless failing:laugh:
It's useful out of shield to throw off your opponents shffls and throw off a Fox or Falco's shine game.

sweetooth

Smash Ace
I did it!!! i started off in 1/2 speed. but then moved up to regular spedd . its cool looking, but has tons of lag.

p.s. sorry for double post

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
i have to wait till later today and see it, but i imagine that you could maybe use it as

1) and interrupt (kinda like zelgadis started with the shine)
or

2) adding insult to injury.

--shrug-- i dunno, i still have to see the **** thing myself D:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
There is a low enough amount of lag that it allows you to follow up with shuffled u-airs or a grab against fast fallers.

I generally use it only as an interrupt, but you don't really need to cancel it for that. The only reason you would want to cancel it is if you wanted to try to get some u-airs going.

Jeyt

Smash Apprentice
Sooooo the only REASONABLE time to use this is to interrupt someone? With the possibility of shffl'd Uairs and grabs?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Sooooo the only REASONABLE time to use this is to interrupt someone? With the possibility of shffl'd Uairs and grabs?
Using it out of d-throw's against fast-fallers can be good, and wavelanding from the edge to an up+b cancel can be really deadly, but interrupting is the best.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
It works pretty well on Peach... or so I've heard, I kinda gave up on trying to upb cancel a while back. Does Doc's upb go through Falco's dair/trade hits..? ..probably not?

Top Bottom