• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with some stuff

AirFair

Marth tho
2 things I need help with. I have 20XX and starting to try
  • Powershielding Falco lasers
  • ledge teching Fox/Falco dsmashes
I use Marth for both. I need help powershielding because it almost never comes out correctly, and I know you are supposed to shield like, right when the attack hits. I have no idea

For ledge teching, I need help, because I keep trying to hit L or SDI into the ledge of FD when I get hit, but I just don't know, because it never works.

Do you guys know what I'm doing wrong?

Massive

Smash Champion
2 things I need help with. I have 20XX and starting to try
  • Powershielding Falco lasers
  • ledge teching Fox/Falco dsmashes
I use Marth for both. I need help powershielding because it almost never comes out correctly, and I know you are supposed to shield like, right when the attack hits. I have no idea

For ledge teching, I need help, because I keep trying to hit L or SDI into the ledge of FD when I get hit, but I just don't know, because it never works.

Do you guys know what I'm doing wrong?
  • There is a ring around your shield when you fully press it, that's your power shield indicator. You want to shield the laser with that. Just grind it out with 20xx's move spamming option or falco's pre-programmed laser thing.
  • The way we always did it in the KC crew was to try and hit L when you anticipate the hit to occur, not when you see it happen. Our reasoning is that it takes some time for your finger to hit the button, even when you're ready for something to happen. This seems to be the best cue to go by since there may not be enough time for you to visually react to tech.

Last edited:

Deg

Smash Cadet
For powershielding you need to understand where the powershield actually is. I made an image specific for marth for that:

Marth is special in the way that his shield does not move along with his body when he ducks and runs. Therefore, powershielding high or medium high lasers (or missiles or whatever) is very easy if you duck or run.

Your shield goes through 3 phases when you press L or R. Projectile powershield (first 2 frames) Powershield (frames 3 and 4) and normal shield (the rest of the time). Even if a projectile has travelled through your entire shieldarea you can still bounce it back if it so much as touches the farther end of your shield when raised.

Last tip: Don´t look at where the laser is, look at where it is going to be, the height of the projectile is extremly important when powershielding.

Hope this helped.

AirFair

Marth tho
Cool. Gotta change the reaction. I practice with Falco's SHL command.

What about ledge teching? I can't seem to get it very well.

Zimmy

Smash Rookie
You already know how to ledge tech, but pretty much you just SDI into the ledge you are trying to tech and press L ~20 frames before you get hit (to tech of course).

Marth's up B takes 39 frames, but you will get hit in probably the first half of the move, so you should be pressing L almost immediately after pressing up B, then smash left or right (depending on ledge) on the control stick when you get hit.

A good way to practice would be freezing fox or falco in their d-smash, so every time you recover you get hit by it (since you are using the 20XX pack)

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
You already know how to ledge tech, but pretty much you just SDI into the ledge you are trying to tech and press L ~20 frames before you get hit (to tech of course).

Marth's up B takes 39 frames, but you will get hit in probably the first half of the move, so you should be pressing L almost immediately after pressing up B, then smash left or right (depending on ledge) on the control stick when you get hit.

A good way to practice would be freezing fox or falco in their d-smash, so every time you recover you get hit by it (since you are using the 20XX pack)
Lemme break this down in steps.

1. UpB
2. Hit L
3. Get hit
4. SDI

Is this correct?

btw I noticed you are from Houston. What tournaments do you go to? I'm gonna be at S@TD2.

And Thanks @ Deg Deg I finally hit a powershield, and started noticing the ring when I paused.

Last edited:

Zimmy

Smash Rookie
Lemme break this down in steps.

1. UpB
2. Hit L
3. Get hit
4. SDI

Is this correct?

btw I noticed you are from Houston. What tournaments do you go to? I'm gonna be at S@TD2.

And Thanks @ Deg Deg I finally hit a powershield, and started noticing the ring when I paused.
Yes, try hitting L about in the middle of the dolphin slash or right as you get hit, but I'm fairly sure hitting it right after the dolphin slash should be fine (I haven't played Marth in a while. just played with my friend and it was...worse than it could've been. though he is 3 years older than me). And SDI is during hitstun which is only a few frames so you will only get one hit on the control stick to change your direction. Since Marth's up B is so fast it will be one fluid motion, whereas with fox or falco you can time it better.

(couldn't post the video lol. just look up how to ledge tech, first result)

This video shows it with fox/falco, and that's how I learned how to do it.

And I'm not attending an tourneys ATM, but I should probably get on that soon. Been holding off as Fox is much harder to learn than Marth, but I find him more fun to play. Almost everything about the characters are different so it was hard switch.

EDIT: I'd make it to S@TD2 but alas, I will be on a plane coming back from Seattle.

Last edited:
Another thing to add to the Fox/Falco Dsmash thing. I think it is useful to know when you should even bother trying to tech it or not. Strong Bad had a formula somewhere (I think orignally from Magus) about the hit lag duration. That is when you can SDI and it increases with percentage. Anyway, Falco/Fox is moderate percentage and I think should have 7-10 frames of hitlag. In which case, you have less time to SDI very far if enough at all to go into a wall. In which case if you are trying to space your UpB far from the ledge wall, then trying to SDI will not be very helpful. If you are trying to get the right height by riding the wall, then you have more reason to try SDI.

Top Bottom