• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

_{Deleted}

Cruzybecks

Smash Rookie
when it comes to marth, pikmin toss helps a lot. If you happen to get 2 purples as opposed to one, it helps out soooo much. but a lot of the time you want to aim to have 1-2 purples with you so can get in. otherwise you have to bait stuff out of marth and then punish accordingly. It's a hard matchup just because you think you can go even but then you realise that marth just has that little bit more range than you which just sucks.

Olimar plays similarly to marth in the sense that you have disjoints and are looking for that grab in neutral. Try not to over extend any combos too much or he'll just fair you away. If you manage to get the grab, look for a way to then combo him into the air with utilt / usmash / dtilt and then try to juggle with uair. at early percents, a good portion of marth's moveset can be crouch cancelled, so that can lead into a cc downtilt.

edgeguarding marth is pretty easy. bair can go below the ledge, or you can just fsmash your pikmin off the ledge and throw any purples at him.

when it comes to ness, I have no idea sorry o.o I have a lot of trouble fighting against ness myself.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
The moment Ness jumps at a range you can reach him, run up shield beats nearly everything he can do bar a tomahawk grab (which takes a while due Ness's floatiness). Avoid tossing Pikmin when he's thrown out a PK Fire, it'll burst and cause you to be unable to pass a part of the stage (I mean, you can try and pass it with dual stick SDI, but risking getting grabbed by Ness is generally not worth it) unless platforms are in play. Once you get a juggle started, stick under him like glue. He has bad options to get down with, of which I'd imagine only Dair and b-reversed/wavebounced Magnet to hinder juggles. Dair only works if you don't space your Up Airs, though, and Magnet is just for momentum shenanigans in this scenario. Unless they're a literal living god, edgeguarding Ness is fairly easy. Clip his double jump (while respecting rising aerials from him), it forces him to use his horrendous up b. You can try to "eat" the PK Thunder, but if you mess up, you either die or get in a reverse edgeguarding scenario. Just wait for him to get to you and Bair him repeatedly. If he's trying to aim for a sweetspot, it takes half a century for him to grab the ledge while spinning at it, so you can Down Smash it pretty easily, which will probably kill him because of the terrifying angle it sends you at. Ringing @steelguttey since he plays Boiko every now and then and can probably provide better insight.

Against Marth, DD right around his tipper range (specifically his Dtilt and Fsmash) and force him to swing early. If he jumps, beware of double Fair out of his SH as the second Fair beats anything you try to do OoS, wait out the second Fair and punish it. Either character can get juggled pretty hard, so if you're caught in one, aiming for a platform (with a good tech) or attempting to b-reverse whistle to mess the Marth up are about the only things you can do if the Marth is on point. Pikmin Toss is fairly useless in this MU, since he can do just about anything and ignore them. Purples are godlike as usual when tossed, even more so in this MU, though. Smart use of F-smash to make sure he respect your space and doesn't just dash in > grab you is also kind of needed, as getting grabbed tends to lead to juggles. Edgeguarding is brutal on both ends. Poor sweetspots can be CC Down Smashed. If you're covering the ledge as you should and force him to recover on stage, you can ledgedash to grab and throw him back off or ledge drop > DJ > Fair to knock him off stage at the other side hopefully. For off stage edgeguards, you can try them, but respect rising Fair, as it beats any poorly timed attempt to gimp him. Fair is generally the safer option (as it comes out earlier), but Bair can gimp him at early percentages as it's another move that sends at at bad recovery angle.

Oh yeah, F-smash does a great job at edgeguarding both of them, or at least cut off a low recovery. F-smashed Pikmin can even "eat" PK Thunder, which is pretty great if you can manage it. Don't get too predictable with it though.

Tobb99

Smash Apprentice
Ness: I played a guy on netplay who had a solid Ness, here's some stuff:

Avoid throwing pikmins as if they hit PK Fire, the PK Fire will trigger and create a flame pillar on the stage, and it doesn't matter if it's close to him or to you, both cases are bad for you. Be on point with your DI/SDI and techs. Ness got some great combos, but they can all be DI/SDI out of, and if he goes for D-airs, be sure to hit your techs. After a while I started using platforms more. I feel like Olimar got an advantage from diagonally above with F-airs, and also F-smashes. While Ness can't use his PK Fire so well, and doesn't have that good options reaching platforms, his best being his F-air probably, also worth mentioning is that the Ness I played was a quite defensive Ness as well, so kind of countering his defensive tactics. Lastly, be on point with your SDI on PK Fires if you get caught in one. SDI > roll away save me from many grabs, he later went for Dash-attacks as I was rolling away, I think you can spot dodge or roll the other way to avoid this, or probably even jump or CC or shield the Dash-attack. Be careful with his Dash-attack, it has good reach and will pop you up for a combo. I think you can CC it, but it'll only work to a certain percent.

Tobb99

Smash Apprentice
Y that MU is hard. I feel like it's a MU you need to get close to fight Fox with airials, since laser completely shuts down side-b camp. You can side-b over lasers if you full jump but it isn't really worth it since he can just remove every pikmin with shine. Try to get the most out of your punish game: tech-chases, knockdowns and combo/juggles and should be able to put up a fight. Gimping Fox shouldn't be that difficult either. I've beaten some foxes, with hard punishes, but most didn't know the mu and I also was better than them.

Top Bottom