• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with mixups

Papasmurf645

Smash Rookie
so after a couple years only playing smash with friends I've developed really bad habits. Always doing the same move, always being predictable, always dash attacking. I wanna get into the competitive scene in melee here in bama with my sheik but I need to break these habits. Any tips for me? Since I'm still a newbie with this game all I do for practice is play a lvl 1 fox over and over just to practice my options with sheik and get sharper with them. So if anyone can give me advice that would be great on breaking my habits. Maybe when I practice against fox don't use any dash attacks or the same move?

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
I'm not that great at Smash but I can give you a few tips. I main Dedede so the playstyle is a bit different but that's okay.

I don't know much about Shiek either...

Firstly for practice, play against level 7 CPUs on random (you can 1v1 as well), this will help when playing against tougher opponents and different characters you may encounter. Secondly, don't dash attack as much, you shouldn't have to do it very often (for Dedede, the only good time to dash is for a kill since he doesn't have any good kill moves), to compensate, try and teach yourself some good aerial combos. Instead of using the same move over and over (which makes you predictable), use a variety of different moves and combos (which you can find plenty online, maybe watch some tournament matches!).

For example, you could perform some ground attacks, use a grab attack that launches your opponent in the air and then use an aerial of some sort, it's worked for me.

I hope it helped! :4dedede:

P.S. Good luck with competitive Smash!

Last edited:

Papasmurf645

Smash Rookie
I'm not that great at Smash but I can give you a few tips. I main Dedede so the playstyle is a bit different but that's okay.

I don't know much about Shiek either...

Firstly for practice, play against level 7 CPUs on random (you can 1v1 as well), this will help when playing against tougher opponents and different characters you may encounter. Secondly, don't dash attack as much, you shouldn't have to do it very often (for Dedede, the only good time to dash is for a kill since he doesn't have any good kill moves), to compensate, try and teach yourself some good aerial combos. Instead of using the same move over and over (which makes you predictable), use a variety of different moves and combos (which you can find plenty online, maybe watch some tournament matches!).

For example, you could perform some ground attacks, use a grab attack that launches your opponent in the air and then use an aerial of some sort, it's worked for me.

I hope it helped! :4dedede:

P.S. Good luck with competitive Smash!
Haha thanks man for the feedback. But I'm talking about melee, and with the higher the level the computer, the more cancer they are lol. Plus everyone plays fox so I have to know the matchup inside and out. Thanks anyways tho! And mad props that you main Dedede that dude is hard to play to me lol

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
Haha thanks man for the feedback. But I'm talking about melee, and with the higher the level the computer, the more cancer they are lol. Plus everyone plays fox so I have to know the matchup inside and out. Thanks anyways tho! And mad props that you main Dedede that dude is hard to play to me lol
Ach, sorry about that! I don't play Melee unfortunately so I can't really help you with that but I hope that some of my tips can apply to Melee as well as Smash 4.

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I was really impressed by Shroomed for his performance at Smash and Splash.
I know I am gonna take a look at his matches against Armada's peach specifically.
His mixup game and control leads me to belive he was cheating.

I'd say do that same as me. Look at that match. Obviously his reaction times is godlike and most of us mortals can't compete, but the tools he chose to use are sound and you can study and steal them.
Watch the match in slow motion and disect what "tools" he uses and from which distances he uses them.

I have mained Sheik since day one and for the most part I couldn't guess what Shroomed was gonna do.
I hope I can change that

Top Bottom