• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with Ike

probablydrugs

Smash Rookie
NNID
thealmightysul
3DS FC
2809-9728-4432
As the title says, I am having trouble playing against my friends Ike, it seems like I cant edge guard him because ^b is so strong (maybe I just am not doing it right) or I jump out for a knee/^air/ect and get countered, and when I go to apply any pressure the counter comes out to mess it all up. The counter in general messes me up moreso on him than against marth/roy and Im confused as to why but it seems he can get it out before a vThrow -> knee or stomp -> knee or pretty much any time i can get the knee out. Im sure I am just doing it wrong so any advice I can get would be appreciated.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ike player here. CF is our easiest matchup. There's really no advice I can give you that will help you other than if your strategy isn't working chill out and don't play aggressively. Just get really grabby.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Uthrow to Knee doesn't work as early as before. You might need to have Ike past 50% or something. Uair should work at 20-30% if I had to guess, same with Nair. If you are not confident on getting follow ups after Uthrow, Dthrow instead

Venom_909

Smash Apprentice
i play fracture a lot. Hes convinced Falcon is one of ikes worst mus. Which confuses me cuz i keep telling him its at worst even.

Ill get some footage of us playing.

I think im like 15-0 vs him or something redic like that.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think it heavily depends on stage. Ike could win on a couple of his CP's, Falcon probably wins on the majority of stages tho

Spralwers

Smash Ace
From my experiences playing it on both sides, it's insanely volatile. One stray hit from either side leads to death so easily. Ike has huge disjoints (even bigger than Marth) he can throw out fairly quickly, like nair and bair, which lead to crazy punishes. Falcon on the other hand can invade Ike's space before Ike can react appropriately, and once Falcon gets in, Ike is even worse than the other swordies at getting him out.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to drop my two cents:

The MU is more than likely either 55-45 for Falcon, or dead even. This is due to the fact that both of these characters have above average mobility, have near if not completely guaranteed follow ups off of throws, and tilts on each other. and they can both either gimp, or send each other so far off stage that it results in a stock, or they're just plain sent to the blast zone.

Now, as far as ive been able to observe of the regular Falcon main that places like 4th or better in PM tourneys out here, when he deals with Ike, it is definitely a grab, and dash dance based MU. Ike is still a Fire Emblem character, so you have to respect the reach he has, but this also means that he is subject to the mid percent up throw to knee combos. all of his aerials except back are are exceptionally slow or mid speed start ups, so falcon typically shouldn't have much opposition when following up after a grab.

Now keep in mind, even though its a pretty grab based MU, that doesn't mean you can stand still. Ike can rush in with quickdraw jump cancel shenanigans, and go to work as fast as you can. You have to be patient and respect his reach in the neutral, and also be aware of his 3 string jabs. it hits a lot harder than average, and can put you in really bad situations. That's not even mentioning his grab and tech chase game on fast fallers. you just want to be aware of when ike is either on the ground, short hopping, and also familiarizing with your opponents quick draw habits. if he is on the ground dash dancing, he'll have to commit to either waiting to CC a nair approach you are doing, stop the DD and wait in shield, or he may just flatout try to get away from you, and dash back in to punish you.

Also, don't try to sit on the ledge when he is recovering. if you are going to intercept or attempt a gimp, do it while he is charging quick draw, or try to intercept him before he hops off the wall. because there is no real way to gimp ike with falcon after he activates his up-b. so its really a combo to death kind of MU, which is relatively easy with falcon if you are comfortable with landing follow ups to knee, bair, or even an up air if you are off stage.

Top Bottom