• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with a main

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Hey, guys. So I need some help. I have been playing Smash 4 since release, but I still can't find a character to stick with or even what playstyle I am. I have tried to main several characters since the game came out, but I always end up dropping whoever I try to play. I know some people have mained the same character(s) since the release of the game. How do you find a main and playstyle that you really enjoy? The other problem is that I want to main a character that I like from their original games, or a from a series that I like, if you know what I mean.

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
I chose my main based on the game I liked the most, that being pokemon. I then started playing pikachu, not because he was the best or the easiest character, and then started training with him to become better at the game, since I would rather use my time to concentrate on getting better with one character than just acceptable with every one. And from then on my playstyle evolved to centralize what Pikachu is good at.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I've decided on my mains in terms of my general playstyle which is zoning out my opponents. Now, this is the reason I :rosalina: and :4lucina: myself, so... yeah.

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
I chose my main based on the game I liked the most, that being pokemon. I then started playing pikachu, not because he was the best or the easiest character, and then started training with him to become better at the game, since I would rather use my time to concentrate on getting better with one character than just acceptable with every one. And from then on my playstyle evolved to centralize what Pikachu is good at.
Ah, okay, I see. Thanks! Yeah, I love Yoshi and have used him in every video game I can. I originally mained him in Sm4sh, so maybe I will go back to him.

I've decided on my mains in terms of my general playstyle which is zoning out my opponents. Now, this is the reason I :rosalina: and :4lucina: myself, so... yeah.
Oh cool. Thanks.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
For me I dropped Ness when Lucas came out. Then I had to decide between Shulk or Lucas. I made a list in my head that gave tallies of why I liked both characters and Lucas won my tally chart so I stuck with him.

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
For me I dropped Ness when Lucas came out. Then I had to decide between Shulk or Lucas. I made a list in my head that gave tallies of why I liked both characters and Lucas won my tally chart so I stuck with him.
Hm, interesting. Thanks for the help. I'll keep this in mind. :)

JagerCry

Smash Cadet
I'll give you the straight forward answer: main Yoshi. He's not a bad character, he's fun, he's your profile pic. Egg laying someone off stage may be the most gratifying way to KO someone in the game. I also think Mario might be a good choice. He's in some ways similar, very good all-around, fun, and not super difficult.

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
I'll give you the straight forward answer: main Yoshi. He's not a bad character, he's fun, he's your profile pic. Egg laying someone off stage may be the most gratifying way to KO someone in the game. I also think Mario might be a good choice. He's in some ways similar, very good all-around, fun, and not super difficult.
Thanks so much! Yeah, Yoshi is my profile picture, and yes, he is my favorite video game character. I enjoy using him in Sm4sh, so I think I will just main him. Plus I used to main him so I have lots of practice already. On that note, I don't even know why I dropped him in the first place! XD I probably just got bored over time lol. But I won't drop him this time if I get bored, I'll just mix things up or something to make the game more interesting. :)

And about Mario, maybe I'll try him out to be a possible secondary. Thanks so much for the help! :)

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
I change mains about every 1 - 4 months. It sounds crazy, but it keeps the people I play with consistently from figuring out my play style with any given character. I practice every day with the characters I think are viable, so whenever I feel like I need to (or want to) make a change, I'll be ready.

As far as actually deciding which ones you want to go for, you should just try to play as everyone until you find one that you can either play well, or just really like.

Top Bottom