• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help short hopping

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So, I'm trying to get good at short hopping with kirby to lead into some combos, but i'm having trouble short hopping, i just keep jumping, any advice?

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I don't typically have issues with it even with tap jump, all I can say is just make sure you just tap up to jump, not tap and hold. Basically reset the control stick as soon as possible. (Although TBH depending on how much you play, you could just wait until Smash Ultimate comes out, it should make short hop attacks easier).

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
As soon as Smash 4 dropped, I abandoned tap jump and opted to use X instead. If you wanna keep using tap jump though, just practice how much you flick the stick to short hop and get it into your muscle memory.

And yeah, like MarioManTAW MarioManTAW said, in Ultimate you'll be able to do it much easier anyway.

twoody

Smash Rookie
since no one mentioned it, i use a shoulder button to jump with tap jump off, there is a tech called "double sticking" where if you input Jump + up on control stick+ aerial with c stick it will automatically produce a short hop aerial move. not good for empty shorthops but i use it all the time and its made me 10x better. i feel like after getting good with it, empty short hops became easier to perform aswell

miniyodadude

Smash Rookie
since no one mentioned it, i use a shoulder button to jump with tap jump off, there is a tech called "double sticking" where if you input Jump + up on control stick+ aerial with c stick it will automatically produce a short hop aerial move. not good for empty shorthops but i use it all the time and its made me 10x better. i feel like after getting good with it, empty short hops became easier to perform aswell
You're highly restricting yourself that way. Short hopping is very easy to become consistent with in sm4sh, you should just work on that.

twoody

Smash Rookie
You're highly restricting yourself that way. Short hopping is very easy to become consistent with in sm4sh, you should just work on that.
I disagree, I can empty short hop perfectly with the trigger now, and I truly believe it was by practicing the double stick method, it made my button pressing and timing much more precise. Maybe the way I worded it was confusing, but for someone having trouble shorthopping I think the method I outlined above will give them instant improvement and will teach them to short hop by itself since the timimg on a lot of characters jump squats is under 5 frame. I would practice with sheik or fox since theirs is 3 frames which is the fastest in the game

Last edited:

miniyodadude

Smash Rookie
I disagree, I can empty short hop perfectly with the trigger now, and I truly believe it was by practicing the double stick method, it made my button pressing and timing much more precise. Maybe the way I worded it was confusing, but for someone having trouble shorthopping I think the method I outlined above will give them instant improvement and will teach them to short hop by itself since the timimg on a lot of characters jump squats is under 5 frame. I would practice with sheik or fox since theirs is 3 frames which is the fastest in the game
weird, it feels way harder to sh with fox in melee than sm4sh

twoody

Smash Rookie
weird, it feels way harder to sh with fox in melee than sm4sh
Yea I agree, maybe the way it’s coded in smash4 is different, but I am 100% that fox’s and sheiks jump squat animations are 3 frames. Since all characters jumosquats have been reduced to 3 frames in ultimate this will probably be good practice for that game too!

Top Bottom