• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help setting up Melee on a CRT.

Darkhunter

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I recently purchased an Sylvania crt tv for the purpose of playing melee on it. I dont have a gamecube but I do have a wii so I have been trying to hook my wii up to it and it doesnt seem to be working and from browsing google I cant find any useful information so I figured some one on here might know how to help.

Here is a picture of the setup http://imgur.com/8oUdLSd .

Zepy

Smash Rookie
Besides trying to put all the red white yellow (AVI) in the TV there isn't much I can recommend

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, I recently purchased an Sylvania crt tv for the purpose of playing melee on it. I dont have a gamecube but I do have a wii so I have been trying to hook my wii up to it and it doesnt seem to be working and from browsing google I cant find any useful information so I figured some one on here might know how to help.

Here is a picture of the setup http://imgur.com/8oUdLSd .
Try switching channels and make sure that red cable is plugged in as well.

Darkhunter

Smash Rookie
There is no "red" port there is only a yellow video port and a white audio port and I've used a feature on the tv that goes through all the channels and all I saw was static on every channel.

Pauer

The Pauerful
Have you specifically tried switching to an AV channel? They usually aren't static but plain black if there's no input and that's where the video gets output on all TVs I've ever seen. The feature you used probably only goes through regular channels. Try to find an AV button on the TV and if there's no such button, use the remote. You might have to click on it multiple times to browse through all the AV channels.

D

Deleted member

As Pauer said, you need to get a remote with a "Input" button, or find one on the TV that let's you change to an AV connection. It should be be labelled something like "TV / Video".

If that still does not work, you will need to change the Wii from 480p to 480i resolution. However, being that you're on static, it is 99.9% certain you just need to switch to an AV channel via the "TV / Video" button on the TV, or an "Input" button via a TV remote.

Darkhunter

Smash Rookie
As Pauer said, you need to get a remote with a "Input" button, or find one on the TV that let's you change to an AV connection. It should be be labelled something like "TV / Video".

If that still does not work, you will need to change the Wii from 480p to 480i resolution. However, being that you're on static, it is 99.9% certain you just need to switch to an AV channel via the "TV / Video" button on the TV, or an "Input" button via a TV remote.
I have searched the tv on all sides and I cannot find a input button on the tv, here are the only buttons I can find http://imgur.com/SfJXn4X , and I should have mentioned that I do not have the remote for this tv since I bought it from a thrift store. Also here is the menu if its of any use, I've tried all the options that I can think of on it but someone might think of something that I have not tried http://imgur.com/LJAUCw9.

D

Deleted member

I have searched the tv on all sides and I cannot find a input button on the tv, here are the only buttons I can find http://imgur.com/SfJXn4X , and I should have mentioned that I do not have the remote for this tv since I bought it from a thrift store. Also here is the menu if its of any use, I've tried all the options that I can think of on it but someone might think of something that I have not tried http://imgur.com/LJAUCw9.
This kind of TV seems like a real budget based CRT from the past and kinda dated. So I'll give you two solutions since there is no way to modify the source on your current TV given what you have currently.

1. Go to Goodwill and purchase a CRT that does have a Source, Input, or TV / Video button.
2. Purchase a cheap universal remote that'll be like 5-10$ at Walmart or Target.

Bonus
If you have a Wii U, the Wii U Game Pad has a built in universal TV remote control that you can use for this.

Go into System Settings on your Wii U and navigate to the remote control settings.
Look for "Sylvania" the brand name of your TV.
If it's there, it should calibrate automatically without any codes and you can use the TV remote button on the bottom right of the Game Pad's screen to select "Input" which will change said input to AV.

Hope this helps.

Darkhunter

Smash Rookie
This kind of TV seems like a real budget based CRT from the past and kinda dated. So I'll give you two solutions since there is no way to modify the source on your current TV given what you have currently.

1. Go to Goodwill and purchase a CRT that does have a Source, Input, or TV / Video button.
2. Purchase a cheap universal remote that'll be like 5-10$ at Walmart or Target.

Bonus
If you have a Wii U, the Wii U Game Pad has a built in universal TV remote control that you can use for this.

Go into System Settings on your Wii U and navigate to the remote control settings.
Look for "Sylvania" the brand name of your TV.
If it's there, it should calibrate automatically without any codes and you can use the TV remote button on the bottom right of the Game Pad's screen to select "Input" which will change said input to AV.

Hope this helps.
Wow the wii u universal remote actually worked! Thanks bro I really appreciate it, I had no idea the wii u could do that.

Top Bottom