• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help playing against Donkey Kong as Diddy

Apx

Smash Rookie
I've been playing smash for a couple months and I'm trying to learn all the matchups but I just can't seem to beat my practice partners Donkey Kong, and I can't find anything about the matchup online. I can beat people that can beat him, but when I play his DK I usually get 2 or 3 stocked. It seems like my defensive play won't work he is always able to grab me and combo me out of his grabs. I haven't really been able to practice against other DK's, but any tips would be appreciated.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
The matchup is cringe worthy. If he has enough space to running nair, he literally cancels to jab jab grab. The stages I have had the most success on are final destination, all the small stages except warioware, and sky loft. His grabs are auto confirm up air strings at early percent, and can be devastating leads to kill at late percent.

As for how to approach, double banana rush down with peanut zoning in between seemed to work pretty well, and up throw j side b and up smash chains into side b felt like they were a necessity. Sorry not much help, still learning matchup myself.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Throw **** at him. He dies. Diddy definitely wins the matchup, you just can't think DK is huge/does nothing to you because of those huge limbs, chaingrabs/throw combos and invulnarms on nair. Respect him a little and frustrate him for having 0 projectiles/movement and he'll open up for you.

Last edited:

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
I am so sorry after watching that, I focus a lot more on punish game vs the heavies, and the dk I play against is pretty brutal. :) (Not me smiling that is his tag), that being said the matches from the twitch page should be done loading later on tonight and I will post it here. One of the top Georgia diddys , so I shouldn't be too bad, minus a few dumb sd's here or there for the lols.
http://www.twitch.tv/eaglesmash
thrasher event first one on past broadcast at the 5 h 26 minute mark or something like that if you wanted to see it before I can finish uploading.

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=86MrzTUTyCE&feature=youtu.be
Its up should be relatively better. Grabbing the one from the twitch page later. Found a lot of what works and what don't do pretty even
You really need to stop using Up B alot using it for edgeguards and for an attack in general (like when you used up b in front of DK's shield) you can easily be punished and you should almost never use Up B for a off the ledge option do a Ledge Attack,Roll Ledge Jump, or Regular get up instead and mix it up too and when you side B try to mix things up by pressing the jump button to get them in a tech chase situation and when you press the A button when you side b try to mix things up by getting a grab after the side b besides that you are ok dude.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
I said this was friendlies, lol I needed to learn the timing of his up b before tourney Friday, which is on twitch page. And noted good advice. I found that you need to d.I his throws based on percent and small stages or really big are good vs dk. Ban PS2 ps1 definite then maybe lylat

Would like your advice on the twitch page matches, had a really dumb moment where I died at 33% bit aside from that I use side b too much and use up b as an attack waaayy too much without platforms and am prone to getting gimped. Weakest part of my game is ledge play, and trying to practice that now. Punish game though, is really high relatively, but bananas I use more as traps than projectiles and setups for resets

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I said this was friendlies, lol I needed to learn the timing of his up b before tourney Friday, which is on twitch page. And noted good advice. I found that you need to d.I his throws based on percent and small stages or really big are good vs dk.

Would like your advice on the twitch page matches, had a really dumb moment where I died at 33% bit aside from that I use side b too much and use up b as an attack waaayy too much without platforms and am prone to getting gimped. Weakest part of my game is ledge play, and trying to practice that now. Punish game though, is really high relatively, but bananas I use more as traps than projectiles and setups for resets
Oh ok sorry

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Oh ok sorry
No sorries lol great advice and diddy forum is too inactive anyway if you got good advice and videos they are greatly appreciated. Wish I had my tipped off video, need more link advice myself but falcon I finally figured out.
Just wanted to post some videos cause not too many places have good diddys and dks in the same region, much less neighbors. Start at match 3 for how to play against it.

And yea taking up b off ledge out of my game unless I read a jump for now on. Waveland is such a better option as well as invincible fair and virtually every other move lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom