• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help in Luigi MegaMan MU

Status
Not open for further replies.

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
Hi megaman players, I've encountered in my for glory travels a few mega-men who seem almost impossible to beat as my main luigi. I Fought one just a few minutes ago, his name was "Chillin" I think and then I fought a mega man earlier that had the tag "BestMegaMan" or something like that. Both of these players were amazing and created an inpenetrable wall of projectiles that for the life of me I couldnt get through. Perhaps if there wasn't any lag my time would have been easier, but I doubt it would improve that much. Anyways I would like some tips as a weegee player in this matchup. Some things I've noticed:

- Getting grabs is nigh impossible on a good Mega Man because of his pellets and projectile/grab game.
- Has good grab followups (am I DI'ing wrong?)
- Required for Weegee to maintain stage control because of how easily MM can gimp him.
- Aerial approach is hard but something I need to try more (luigi is just so slow in the air).

Thanks for the help.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
Try looking in the MU thread. We've discussed him a lot recentmy. And also, I'm pretty sure the luigi boards just went over the matchup themselves. Go take a look there.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
It's tough to get in so once (if) you do make it count and rack up the percents. I get combod a ton with grab to fair/u air strings.

Mix up your approacjv with power shields and the flying spin move. Rarely use side B to approach as it has bad lag.

Can be a very tough matchup for luigi but not impossible. I usually die from luigi by Usmash an aerial or upB/down b off the top.

Kel

Smash Master
Lemons are super punishable when called. Lemons also don't do that much damage- if you take 4 lemon hits and then jump in with a nair/ dair when you call one of our lemon shots, you will come out way ahead because of your combo game.

Go into training with MM and fire a lemon to see what I'm talking about. Hit A once and then hold shield and see how long it takes for the shield to come up. Now realize that we can shoot a max of three of them at a time and that we have all that lag after we do it.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Luigi in general suffers from good projectile zoning. He's incredibly powerful once he gets in but doesn't have great approach tools.
To win against Mega Man, you need to have a good punish game. Be aware of the ending lag on his projectiles. As Kel mentioned, the lemons can be punished, especially if Mega Man runs out of stage to work with. Since Mega Man still has free movement with walking and jumping even during the "endlag," try to cover where he might jump with an aerial. It isn't as easy as Kel makes it out to be, especially if he's moving away from you. In order to get him into a position where you can effectively punish it, try to pressure him towards the edge of the stage. You might not be able to directly approach but by running up and shielding or rolling, he may continue to do retreating lemons to keep you out. Just be aware of the possibility for a grab mix up on your shield. Metal Blade is unsafe on shield if used too close, as is the Crash Bomb.
Because of this, it is wise to take Mega Man to the smallest stage that he has not banned. Don't try to fight him on FD or Town and City.
Once you do have him on the edge, know his escape options. Low level or panicked players will often try to roll towards the stage. I do not know what Luigi likes to punish rolls with, but I'm certain you do.
A better Mega Man will vary the way he regains his space. Sometimes he will attack you with a down tilt (which you can shield to punish), sometimes he will try to shoot more projectiles, (which you can punish if you're close enough). He may try to jump over you, with or without an airdodge, or even simply run back to the stage. He might grab you once you get close and back throw you away to regain control, or run up to you and try to grab you. It's up to you to observe the situation + his previous patterns and decide what will allow you to keep control.
In my experience, the most common thing Mega Man will do is try to grab you and back throw you if he isn't the rolling kind. This gains him stage control and leaves him in a position where he can try to gimp you. Prepare for this the most. Shooting him with a fireball combos into grab, if I'm not mistaken?

All of this assumes that Mega Man is only trying to zone you out with projectiles. This is Mega Man's main goal in the MU as he wants to stay clear of your grab combos. However, be aware that it is not all that he will try to do. A good Mega Man will come in to grab you if he sees a hole in your defense, especially below kill percent.
Whatever you do, try not to get hit by the Metal Blade (buzz saw); It confirms into grab at mid and high percents thrown raw and almost any percent if tossed as an item.

Lastly, it's important to know that Mega Man's kill moves are more situational than some and very punishable if they miss. If you are at kill percent and trying to land, odds are he will try to up smash you. If he catches you rolling, you might be eating a down smash (do not roll behind him when you are at kill percent for down smash). F-smash can trap your landing well if you use your double jump, so try to conserve it if you can. U-tilt is generally only a threat on a hard read, but if you do a neutral air onto his shield, he can punish you with u-tilt out of it. U-tilt also true combos out of a diagonal Metal Blade, so watch out if he's at about a 45 degree angle from you in the air.

Last edited:

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
@Jhett

Thanks for that reply you obviously took a long time to make it and there were some great tips in there, so much appreciated.

Edit: Also I added you, my in game name is Calculus, hit me up if you want to play some friendlies. I go on Anther's ladder alot.

Last edited:

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Most recent Luigi matches I have. Nair can be hard for me to beat and LS eats fireballs :p

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Most recent Luigi matches I have. Nair can be hard for me to beat and LS eats fireballs :p

Couldnt see them all but great matches! I have a question: Do stale moves apply for each stock or for thr whole matcj because I saw that after u took a stock from Luigi u did a bthrow at the beggining of the stock so that would be my question

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Couldnt see them all but great matches! I have a question: Do stale moves apply for each stock or for thr whole matcj because I saw that after u took a stock from Luigi u did a bthrow at the beggining of the stock so that would be my question
Stale moves refresh after you lose a stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom