• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Help Getting Better with Robin

Toodenbelch

Smash Rookie
I am practicing for a tournament that is coming up in August and I want to use Robin primarily. I am having a very hard time getting good at matchups or just knowing how to use the character. I know some ideas on how to play Robin, but I genuinely have a very hard time figuring out how to counter a player's play style when I figure it out, edge guarding, landing and stuff like that. I was wondering if any fellow Robin mains could give tips on how to use Robin more effectively in matchups, stages etc. Any tips would be appreciated because I'm trying to get as much information as I can and trying to apply it in my game. If you could ditto me too that would be nice to get replays of better Robins and see what they do. Thanks!

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
To use Robin effectively, you HAVE to be patient, observant, and devious.

There are some easy match-ups for Robin, and not-so-easy match-ups. Robin's biggest weakness is his sluggishness and lack of horizontal mobility. He can't handle rush-down. That said, Robin's best defense is to not get hit. Also, getting into the habit of catching Robin's discarded weapons will help tremendously. I have seen some Robin players trap opponents in Arcthunder upon shielding, then throw their tome at them, breaking their shield.

Personally, I'm usually good at dealing with characters whom rely primarily on close range combat; I just keep them out of arm's reach and keep hitting them with projectiles. If the opponent has a reflector or any other anti-projectile move, that doesn't mean you shouldn't use your projectiles at all--you just don't want to be predictable with your projectiles. If I'm dealing with a camper, I simply camp them back. Right now, I'm experimenting on what projectiles Robin's swords can stop. For instance, I have found that a well-timed jab, forward-tilt, or neutral air will stop Samus's missiles.

Speaking from personal experience, the characters I struggle the most against are Zero Suit, Sheik, Diddy Kong, Little Mac, and the other really fast characters. That said, however, it is not impossible to win Robin's most difficult match-ups, for I have before.

If you're interested, see mine below playlists. I'm not the best Robin player, but I'm certainly not the worse, for I have been using Robin since the game came out.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5X3JQ8ayLWkQksu77V8WYUpKu7ImSRy1
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5X3JQ8ayLWk7GgbRU9-sK_67QSj9-ewZ

Nah

Smash Champion
Zareidriel has a guide that may be of some use to you. It's....very long and colorful, but it's one of the better guides around.

For matchups one of the better ways is just to get some more experience in them. Should be able to find someone on the character boards of the characters you want to learn the MU for that'll help you out.

Adamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
BackupAdamas
I am practicing for a tournament that is coming up in August and I want to use Robin primarily. I am having a very hard time getting good at matchups or just knowing how to use the character. I know some ideas on how to play Robin, but I genuinely have a very hard time figuring out how to counter a player's play style when I figure it out, edge guarding, landing and stuff like that. I was wondering if any fellow Robin mains could give tips on how to use Robin more effectively in matchups, stages etc. Any tips would be appreciated because I'm trying to get as much information as I can and trying to apply it in my game. If you could ditto me too that would be nice to get replays of better Robins and see what they do. Thanks!
What matchups do you struggle with? And I would be more than happy to do a couple of Robing dittos with you (please keep in mind that I am not a Robin main, so my Robin may be slightly "lacking" in some areas)

Toodenbelch

Smash Rookie
What matchups do you struggle with? And I would be more than happy to do a couple of Robing dittos with you (please keep in mind that I am not a Robin main, so my Robin may be slightly "lacking" in some areas)
I'm sorry it took so long to respond xP The only real matchup I'm struggling right now is shulk. The range of his fair is ridiculous for robin. Shulks usually approach with shorthop fair and robin can't do anything to stop it from happening other than shielding. Even then I have the hardest time in the world even hitting a shulk (Bayonetta is 100 times easier for me to fight compared to shulk to give you a comparison on how difficult it is for me.)

Adamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
BackupAdamas
it's fine. Although I do not play Shulk, I do have a fairly solid Ike (there are somewhat similar characters; Ike has better frame data, while Shulk has Monado Arts and a slightly longer reach than Ike) If it would help you, I wouldn't mind sparring with you.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Robin's kit encourages the player's wit. However, you cannot get that wit let alone use it if you fall under pressure from an unknown opponent. It is especially if the opponent easily takes advantage of Robin's weaknesses, which are meta game character traits and often popular choices.

I struggle against characters I have limited experience with and know how to keep pressure on me: Yoshi, Lucario, Rosalina, Mario...Hm, more so with other projectile fighters with better frames and range like Samus. The longer I draw out a match without anxiety, the more stubborn I become. Little Mac, by design, is to destroy us if we camp. But if you put pressure on him before he does you, he will go on the defensive and you can create fake outs the more you keep him in the air and avoid his insane speed and ground damage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom