• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help countering robin

hypertive

Smash Rookie
I play with my friend who happens to be a robin main, I am a dedede main. I dont know how to deal with him constantly staying in the back and charging as I am too slow to catch up. Everytime I try to use an aerial on him i get punished with a grab and if I try attacking from the ground he would either do side b into up smash or side b jump side b up air. It gets really annoying. I also play ness, I can sometimes beat his robin with my ness but he counterpicks with lucina.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
It's probably not the best matchup for Dedede (I don't really know) but here are a couple of quick tips for dealing with your friend.

Counter the enemy Robin's camping with Gordo pressure, if he knows what he's doing he'll probably try to Elthunder your Gordos back at you so be ready for that, but it's a good way of maintaining a little battlefield control.

If he keeps shieldgrabbing you, you're going to have to stop attacking his shield as often. You could try empty hopping toward the enemy to bait the shield, and land with a dash grab. Or use an aerial like nair or bair and end up behind your enemy rather than in front of them.

hypertive

Smash Rookie
I have tried using gordos to keep stage control and pressuring him but anything can reflect it back and he is always on the ground and shields it. I literally cannot approach him. I can try baiting out his shield but I am not fast enough to land and do a dash grab without him doing something about it.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
It sounds like you might just need more practice working on your speed and maneuverability honestly, there's only so much tactics can do for you. The best advice I can give is to fight against him for like 10 hours straight until you start to find ways to break through. And focus on your spacing.

It also sounds like from your original post you're getting hit by a lot of side b, Arcfire. Arcfire is a terribly slow move and if you focus on dodging it specifically, it will be much harder to hit you with it. The first step for anyone new to the Robin matchup is to learn how to not get hit by Arcfire very often. Once again focusing on maintaining the correct distance from the enemy Robin with correct spacing will make that task much easier.

hypertive

Smash Rookie
It sounds like you might just need more practice working on your speed and maneuverability honestly, there's only so much tactics can do for you. The best advice I can give is to fight against him for like 10 hours straight until you start to find ways to break through. And focus on your spacing.

It also sounds like from your original post you're getting hit by a lot of side b, Arcfire. Arcfire is a terribly slow move and if you focus on dodging it specifically, it will be much harder to hit you with it. The first step for anyone new to the Robin matchup is to learn how to not get hit by Arcfire very often. Once again focusing on maintaining the correct distance from the enemy Robin with correct spacing will make that task much easier.
Alright thanks, I will try working on my movement

Anasolian

Smash Rookie
Up-tilt, Up-smash, Down-smash, Down-tilt, and Neutral-Air all have relatively good frame data, close the distance, then use those to quickly attack and launch.

(Dedede)

Last edited:
Top Bottom