• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help against projectile absorbing characters...

PrinceOfTheNerds

Smash Rookie
To boil it down simply:

• I was fighting a lvl.9 :ultrosalina:
• The AI kept absorbed my projectiles (And no, I wasn’t spamming them)

I got curious if anyone had found a way to circumvent this problem against these kinds of characters. (and projectile reflecting ones too.)

(Also, any combos for used tomes, I.e. I use up the arcfire tome, and grab the book.)

CrimsonAvenger

Smash Rookie
Used tomes are nerfed from Smash 4. I dont find them worth the effort anymore.
What absorbing character are you talking about? Ness/Lucas?
I don't use many projectiles against them. try to short hop attack most of the time.
Only use projectiles as a counter measure, not to attack.
You can save a Thoron and use it when they put out a laggy move. But they probably wont do that often. Ness/Lucas are fast.
I find this to be my toughest match up though. they can span pk fire all day with no real lag, and the magic extended hit boxes on their moves tend to beat out most of Robin's, especially the dash attack.
Their absorbtion move can also hit you now. so be aware of that.

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
These matchups are definitely going to be primarily swordplay focused. You can condition the opponent to refrain from using the move if youre not throwing anything, opening up opportunities to pelt them when they least expect it. Rosa is the least threatening with her absorb as she gains nothing from using it other than merely stopping a projectile.

Reflectors can be more dangerous because reflected elthunder and onwards can kill you if your at higher percents, especially at the ledge. Basic thunder is much safer however, as the reflect damage and knockback is very minimal.

Against the PK kids, they can heal off our spells, but it's also minimal. Elthunder does heal 20+%, so refrain from challenging them with it unless you've conditioned them prior, all other spells are fair game though. Their fsmash can reflect though so be careful, like with any other reflect user.
Just because tomes can't kill anymore doesn't make them useless. They can still combo break in a pinch, and with their reduced knockback, they can set up some nice strings, tome throw to thoron being a good one off the top of my head.

PrinceOfTheNerds

Smash Rookie
What absorbing character are you talking about? Ness/Lucas?
I don't use many projectiles against them. try to short hop attack most of the time.
Only use projectiles as a counter measure, not to attack.
You can save a Thoron and use it when they put out a laggy move. But they probably wont do that often. Ness/Lucas are fast.
I find this to be my toughest match up though. they can span pk fire all day with no real lag, and the magic extended hit boxes on their moves tend to beat out most of Robin's, especially the dash attack.
Their absorbtion move can also hit you now. so be aware of that.
Sorry for not detailing properly, fairly new to this forum obviously. I was asking generally how to deal with them. Also thank you both for letting me know how robin should deal with the infamous PK kids ( And my brothers obnoxious main - :ultwolf: ).

Last edited:
Top Bottom