• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help against incentaroar

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
I've got a guy at my local scene who plays incentaroar (incenta for short) and i keep losing to this stupid characters jank. I've tried camping him and all i get is his revenge built up because he just eats the laser. I've tried just ou moving and dash dance camp and it doesn't work. I've tried out spacing him but his air moves seem huge ntm he builds revenge off of most of my air combos and I'm just at a loss because i don't understand what is going on. How should i play this match? Because i know its in favor of wolf, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Quick note, it's "Incineroar".

If he's using revenge a ton you can bait it and attack in its endlag. Instead of spamming lasers and feeding him revenge for free, mix it up a bit and go for grabs or other attacks after the counter portion of revenge ends. Incineroar is kind of combo food, but a lot of Incineroar players like to spam down B to escape combos and power up. If you're juggling him, and you feel one coming, wait it out and continue your string after the counter portion is over. If you're doing dthrow to dash attack on him, they also tend to revenge there as well. I like to test them out - try it once or twice and don't do an immediate reaction to the throw - and see if they try to revenge me on the dash attack. If they try it, you can mix up your options. Instead of constantly going for dash attack combos after throws, charge a smash attack once or twice to keep him on his toes. If he tries to tech your throws, just get used to tech chasing him to continue to build damage.

Like with a lot of other heavies, if you let them get in on you, you can eat loads of damage for no reason. I find it easier to stay patient and wait for them to whiff a laggy option, which every superheavy has a lot of, then capitalize on their endlag. The main difference with Incineroar is that he has an immediate option to deter you from shooting lasers by giving him new options to deal 50+% in one hit. He's strong, but also the slowest runner in the game, so it's not like you're not gonna see him coming for you. Make him whiff a few Revenges and Alolan Whips and you should be able to get him to a high enough percent where he'll be more afraid of you than you of him.

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
Ok. This makes quite a bit of sense. How do you deal with his air movement though? His aerials are ridiculously disjointed and strong. Along with I have no clue how to punish his recovery with wolf other than nair the Side B but that tends to put me in a disadvantageous position ntm can get me whipped.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Just don't give him the opportunity to use them to his advantage. He's at a huge disadvantage when he's above you. Whiff punish them. Try to get good at spacing your own aerials to avoid getting whiff punished yourself, because he can hurt you pretty badly if you mess up.

Think you can spike his side B with down air. His up B has armor frames 4-15, so be careful trying to challenge it. If he tries to recover low you should be able to 2-frame him if you catch it after the armor ends. If he tries to up B onto the stage its super punishable as long as you don't get hit by it. The whole move is 61 frames so that's a lot of time if they go for the full height.

IMO the hardest thing about him is his weight. If you don't finish the stock off at a decent percent he can live forever, beyond getting gimped.

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
Yea he's driving me nuts... I tried the bate and punish w/out laser approach and all I wind up doing is giving up space on stage. I've tried to force him to approach but it winds up with me getting alohan whipped.... -_- I know he's a good player (not like a top 10 by any means) but it's getting frustrating... I've dealt with this for years in every version and this is the one I'm just not grasping. I keep getting countered. then I try to play respectful because I know the next move he will throw out with be ridiculous with how much damage I will take. Honestly, I wish they would adjust the counter a bit.

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
And the big answer is I need to learn to play better is what I'm getting too. But I just don't understand the neutral is some of my problems

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I dunno man, if you can, post some gameplay footage of him beating you and critique can be given. Otherwise it’s super hard to gauge where you’re at and where he’s at exactly. I don’t find Incineroar to be a big hill to climb at all unless they’re miles better than me at the game in general. Making him whiff, building damage with grabs, and baiting the counter is my general game plan against most Incineroar players.

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
I did some research on other players and started messing around with it. I was taking games off of him last night and felt like I was getting somewhere. And as for gameplay footage I'll have to see what we can do.

Qualudes

Smash Cadet
Idk if this applies to you, but auto-piloting with wolf is a very easy habit to fall in to. Personally, I used to dash-back, b-reverse blaster when I was unsure what to do in any situation. This would usually net me some decent damage on the first stock in any given match, but would become blatantly obvious as the game went on. I would definitely recommend watching your replays from your opponents perspective and try to get into their head. Figuring out why opponents are picking options against you is the most important key to improving because I guarantee your opponent is not beating you on reaction alone.

Top Bottom