• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need an argument for banning items.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
My school is holding video game tournaments, one of them being Brawl. They decided to put in items on Low. Me and a couple others wanted them off, so we went to the guy who was heading it. He said we needed something that says items are generally off. We gave him a list of general rules, but just in case, I might need some sort of valid argument. I've asked this question before and tried looking for threads on this (maybe I'm not looking hard enough?). So far, all I've gotten was that items do show a players true skill. Anything else to add? Examples would help. If needed, direct me to a thread that I might have missed about this and lock/close/delete this topic. Thanks.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
if you're playing brawl you might as well have items on

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
seriously, though, items come through luck and chance. deciding factors of a game shouldn't come through luck and chance if both players can't help it.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
if u seriously cant think of ur own reason then u might as well play with it on.

items just make the game more random and based on luck rather than skill. if this tourney is based on skill moreover casual party fun then its obvious that items should be turned off.

example: u pick up a pokeball and so does the enemy, he spawns a goldeen and u spawn a lugia or w/e broken pokemon there are. hes better than u as a player but u win just cause u're lucky ur pokemon *****.

not very fair is it.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Finally some reasonable responses. I guess I can also say the same thing he did for the Modern Warfare 2 tourney. He turned off killstreaks and perks because he wanted fair games to be based on skill. Thanks. If anyone else has something to add, post it.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
reach for the middle-items are on, but only competitive items. Brawl is balanced enough that they had a competitive item ruleset now. an Item match ain't gonna kill ya, son.

Stev

Smash Ace
If you need to argue the randomness thing, they spawn randomly, meaning that there's a chance that all the good items could spawn in front of one player, giving him a distinct advantage over the other player.

Lucario1337

Smash Journeyman
Items mess up your recovery and make a unfair advantage for fast charaters. Example sonic would be the one most likely to finish dragoon. And a smart bomb could appear right in the spot your trying to recover on.

holypho

Smash Apprentice
Items mess up your recovery and make a unfair advantage for fast charaters. Example sonic would be the one most likely to finish dragoon. And a smart bomb could appear right in the spot your trying to recover on.

whats wrong with making sonic better in matches?!?!? I like items.... so im kinda biased
when it comes to this lol....

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I gotta be honest...I generally enjoy Brawl more when items are on.

To validate your case, though, you should definitely go with the "keeping it based upon skill" line of reasoning. You have the right idea. Also show him videos of Ally vs. M2K in finals or NL vs. M2K. You get the point. Show him that when money is on the line...they don't mess around with items. Show him the Pound 4 AND Genesis ruleset. As well as the Apex ruleset and the upcoming Apex 2010 ruleset.

He needs to see that you're not bsing him and that from SSB onward, the items conclusively remain off.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Thanks everyone. And to be honest, items on/off depend on how I'm playing. Since this is a tournament which is basically all skill-based, I generally want items off. But for fun (or what like to cal Super Happy Awesome Fun) I do all items on, Random, and random stage. But right now I'm more focused on the competitive with this tourney. Keep this stuff coming (tourney's tomorrow >_>, and I should have posted this sooner...).

S l o X

Smash Champion
because Smash isn't pokemon.

Oh and if there is no money on the line you should definitely do items on. It's Brawl . . . there is no competitive aspect to it. (Plank with MK all day baby)

(just kidding guys, don't flame me)

Top Bottom