• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need a few tips on Fighting DeDeDe

EarthBound18

Smash Cadet
I Generally do very poor againts this Character, Even sub par ones on FG beat me. Here's how most of my D3 matches go.

I get him to around 150% and I try KO him but a few hits from him gets me to 50 or 60%, (I am at KO percent) If he lands one down smash chance are I get KO'd. I generally do well at the beginning against him, but once he manages to get a few hits on me I panic because of how dangerous he is at rage percents, PLUS he's heavy and he has multiple jumps. Online he's a real pain because his Forward smash which I see coming always ends up hitting me I can't react with a counter or shield without it breaking, or me getting hit anyway because of lag.

Any advice on dealing with DeDeDe would be cool.

I mainly use Bowser/Charizard (Which are horrible MUs) and MK,Roy,Ness,Lucas,Mewtwo,Kirby

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Generally, the best strategy against Dedede is to camp him, force him to approach. You don't want to approach Dedede unless you have to. You're gonna have trouble against good dedede's with those 2 mains. Those 2 mains are some of Dedede's best matchups. You're gonna have to outplay the opponent. Take advantage of any laggy moves he puts out. Powershield gordos. Just do your best to catch Dedede in lag basically. Going to have to approach carefully.

Fsmash you shouldn't be getting hit by. Just approach more cautiously. It does not break a full shield, so you can shield it if you don't have shield damage. You can also just get out of the way, it's incredibly slow. I wouldn't try to counter or spot dodge it, it's too risky.

Also if you're playing online lag tends to help Dedede much more than other characters because of the precision required to shield/reflect gordos and how hard he hits. So don't sweat it if you're getting hit by his smashes due to input lag online.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Bowser/Charizard are some of D3's better matchups, so I can see the problem.

But yeah, I second camping him. D3 doesn't like being the one who has to approach. Bait him into taking the initiative

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Of the character you have mentioned, I'd most recommend Roy (I presume :4feroy: is who you mean and not :4roy:, even though both Roys are preferable to your 2 mains), Ness, Lucas, and Meta Knight. Not sure about Mewtwo, whose A button moves have great range, but is very light.
I recommend those 5 (including Roy Koopa), because they either have the speed to either outrun and/or outbox Triple D (Both Roys & Meta Knight), or the zoning abilites to make Triple D approach you (Ness & Lucas). They all can juggle him pretty well if you can get in on him on your terms.
If you're okay with picking up a new character just for this MU, I'd highly recommend either :4roy: (his A button moves are great for warding off Gordos, Mechakoopas can threaten him into the air, where his slow horizontal air speed is ripe for UAir sharking, and Side B Jump Cancels do SO much for Jr, including Side B --> JC --> UAir x? at seemingly any percent after 0%, which is when Side B --> JC --> DAir --> ShortHop FAir --> Jab string (juggle ends here) / DTilt (juggle ends here) / UTilt x? --> UAir x? works well) or especially :4duckhunt:, whose MU discussion against Triple D had been covered last month, including a big post from me.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Considering your two mains, bowser is a horrible choice against DDD. However, as a charizard secondary, I think you actually can defeat DDD with zard if you know how to play against him. The normal zard strats aren't that good against DDD, since he hits too hard for you to hang on at high percents. Charizard can hit back gordos pretty easily with either neutral air or forward air, although if you are on the ground you are somewhat vulnerable. I know flamethrower can knock them back, but its risky and finicky, so you should just shield those, and if DDD hits a slow moving gordo, just don't approach. Flamethrower is a valuable tool against DDD, since he is super slow on both air and land, so the start and end lag are not much of a problem. Also, if you can predict when DDD will throw a gordo, use flare blitz. It will not only connect for sure if you use it early enough, but it will also send the gordo flying back at DDD. Otherwise, keep blitzing to a minimum. Otherwise, you are much faster than him on the ground, and still have the speed advantage in the air, but DDD outranges zard. You must play zard differently in that normally, zard is the one that must approach so that he is not walled out, but DDD is forced to approach even against zard! Remember that, and remember that you don't need to approach DDD unlike pretty much every other character. It's still a losing matchup, but if you have enough experience with zard you should defeat the average DDD. Good luck!

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Pretty sure Charizard's safest option for reflecting Gordo is Rock Smash, and you can even jump cancel that move.

Texfone

Smash Cadet
NNID
Texfone
When people hit back my gordos, it's pretty annoying, so if you aren't doing that, try it.

MrNasty

Smash Rookie
NNID
User was warned for this post
I Generally do very poor againts this Character, Even sub par ones on FG beat me. Here's how most of my D3 matches go.

I get him to around 150% and I try KO him but a few hits from him gets me to 50 or 60%, (I am at KO percent) If he lands one down smash chance are I get KO'd. I generally do well at the beginning against him, but once he manages to get a few hits on me I panic because of how dangerous he is at rage percents, PLUS he's heavy and he has multiple jumps. Online he's a real pain because his Forward smash which I see coming always ends up hitting me I can't react with a counter or shield without it breaking, or me getting hit anyway because of lag.

Any advice on dealing with DeDeDe would be cool.

I mainly use Bowser/Charizard (Which are horrible MUs) and MK,Roy,Ness,Lucas,Mewtwo,Kirby
You can't beat the king. You might as well kill yourself when you fight him, it would be quicker that way

Top Bottom