• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nature's Calling - Nakoruru for Smash! (Maybe next season?)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Webp.net-resizeimage.png

Nakoruru's artwork from SNK Heroines (2018)

First Appearance: Samurai Shodown (1993)
Latest Appearance: Samurai Shodown [Reboot] (2019)

Who is Nakoruru?

1553888226240.png

Nakoruru in Samurai Shodown 5, You Are The Hero, and Samurai Shodown 2019 respectively
Nakoruru is one of the main characters in SNK's long-running Samurai Shodown series. She is a shrine maiden known for her love of nature and defender of the weak. In the Samurai Shodown titles she fights using her hawk as well as her fast knife attacks. Outsude of Samurai Shodown, she has appeared in various SNK related titles such as Capcom vs SNK as well as The King of Fighters XIV. Nakoruru is often considered to be one of the mascots of SNK as a whole alongside Fatal Fury protagonist Terry Bogard and is easily one of the company's most popular characters.

What does she have going for her?

• Nakoruru is easily one of SNK's most popular characters, even more popular than Samurai Shodown protagonist Haohmaru. She has placed highly in many SNK popularity polls such as one in 1997 and another in 2018. She is even featured alongside Terry Bogard as part of SNK's Nakoruru and Terry club which was meant to help educate children about nature, further showing how significant she is to the company.
  • SNK is a company that has a fair amount of things going for the inclusion of one of their characters in Smash. Here is a giant writeup I made that talks about what SNK in general has going for them. In short, the chances of us getting an SNK rep are far from impossible considering their history, their ever-increasing friendliness towards Nintendo, their and gigantic popularity in China and Latin America.
  • Samurai Shodown is getting a reboot this year which will even be featured at EVO, meaning that Nakoruru won't be too far back in people's minds.

The main thing holding her back is the tons of third party competition she has to face. Plus even if we were to get an SNK rep, chances are someone like Terry or Kyo would have higher priority.

How would she play?
Nakoruru's playstyle would revolve around two things: her fast attacks with her small sword and the use of her hawk Mamahaha. She can send out Mamahaha for an attack or use Mamahaha to fly around. Alternatively, Nakoruru could even hand onto her bird and then unleash a knife-based aerial attack.

Her final smash could be either her knife stab super in Samurai Shodown 5 or her climax in KoF XIV. Given the violent nature of the first one, the climax super would probably be a better choice for Smash.

Detailed moveset by Nemuresu Nemuresu

Works like Link's where the second hit will happen if the user presses the attack button after the first hit

While being carried by Mamahaha, Nakoruru can still attack, but she can't block.

Rage Gauge concept by MrBaconJam MrBaconJam

For those who are wondering how it works, the Rage Gauge fills up each time Nakoruru takes damage from an opponent's attack. The harder she gets hit, the faster it fills up. When the gauge is completely filled, Nakoruru will enter into a state known as "Rage Explosion". During this state, Nakoruru is awarded with more damage power for most of her moves, as well as her specials having multi-hit proprieties. However, while this was not the case for her in SamSho, this will not affect the knockback on all of her attacks in Smash. After 16 seconds has passed (or after preforming a Final Smash), the gauge will return back to its original state. Unlike in SamSho where after losing a round, the status of a player's gauge remain unchanged from the last round, when Nakoruru is KO'd in Smash, the gauge will reset back.
Alt costumes by MrBaconJam MrBaconJam

Kirby hat by MrBaconJam MrBaconJam

Stage and Music

Nakoruru's stage would be Northern Country, Nakoruru's stage from Samurai Shodown 2.

1554073983071.png

The music from her stage would include:
--------------------

Want to support Nakoruru's inclusion in Smash? Feel free to join the support group by commenting below!

Nakoruru's Nature Fan Club (Supporters):
Sari Sari
Orlando BCN Orlando BCN
toonito toonito
MrBaconJam MrBaconJam
Pizza Robo Pizza Robo
Idon Idon
Strider_Bond00J Strider_Bond00J
dezeray112 dezeray112
smash puffle smash puffle
MacDaddyNook MacDaddyNook
[Maple] [Maple]
Kirbeh Kirbeh
Dannio Dannio
@liquidmetalslime
Russell_SSB Russell_SSB
CallMeKnux CallMeKnux
Crap-Zapper Crap-Zapper
Arcadenik Arcadenik
Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester
S SSBCandidates
cj. cj.
L LancerJayden
Adelto Adelto
Predictabo Predictabo
Kuon Kuon
Graizen Graizen
Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura
Parallel_Falchion Parallel_Falchion
OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos
JoltSmash13 JoltSmash13
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku
Hadokeyblade Hadokeyblade
zferolie zferolie
EarlTamm EarlTamm
King Sonnn DeDeDoo King Sonnn DeDeDoo
AreJay25 AreJay25
SneakyLink SneakyLink
Luminario Luminario
ryuu seika ryuu seika
Vycoul Vycoul
Gentlepanda Gentlepanda
AmphabulouSnake AmphabulouSnake
slambros slambros
@Lesley Black Velvet
P Pippin (Peregrin Took)
TooManyToastahs TooManyToastahs
amageish amageish
-crump- -crump-
Teeb147 Teeb147
Bobthealligator Bobthealligator
Himiko Himiko
The Rhythm Theif The Rhythm Theif

Show your support with these Nakoruru icons made by MrBaconJam MrBaconJam :

Also check out these other SNK support threads:

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I support. Love to see some SamSho representation, especially after all the bashing the community has received from Smash fans since the Evo ‘19 game reveal.

Side comment: let’s add Ukyo as an Assist Trophy so he can spam Tsubame Gaeshi everywhere, lol.

Last edited:

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
Count me in. Would be nice to see some SNK/Neo Geo representation.

*Crosses fingers for a remix of Banquet of Nature if she gets in*

Last edited:

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I support Nakoruru to be Playable in Super Smash Bros Ultimate plus support Samurai Showdown Characters and SNK :D
Also Nakoruru was in SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy for the Nintendo Switch

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902

A new SamSho Collection is coming this Fall to Switch (as well as PS4, XBone & PC). All 6 Neo Geo era SamSho games are in with online play.

2019 really is sharping up to be SamSho's year, ain't it?

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408

A new SamSho Collection is coming this Fall to Switch (as well as PS4, XBone & PC). All 6 Neo Geo era SamSho games are in with online play.

Aren’t all the games already on the eShop as part of the Arcade Archives series?

At least online play is a bonus. Bet that everyone’s gonna ignore every other game for II and V Special.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Damn, this year is amazing for Samurai Shodown! SNK has been really stepping it up their collections and games in general. Here's hoping we get a King of Fighters Switch collection someday.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yo I used to play Samsho. I'll probably get back in with the new 3D game. Sign me up.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I've been thinking about the possibility of an SNK character in Smash for a while too - be it Terry, Mai or Geese from Fatal Fury, but Nakoruru would be my go-to for a SamSho character in Smash. Feel free to put me in the supporter's list!

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
Got a bit bored and made some stock icons for Nako. One with her hawk (Mamahaha) and one without.

(TBH, the second icon gives me the impression that anyone would mistaken her for a certain Touhou character.)

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Got a bit bored and made some stock icons for Nako. One with her hawk (Mamahaha) and one without.

(TBH, the second icon gives me the impression that anyone would mistaken her for a certain Touhou character.)
Looks great! I'll add both of them to the OP if that's ok with you.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Battering foes with the birb would be pretty fun, so I'll trow my hat in for support.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Just in: the launch roster for Samurai Shodown has been revealed tonight, along with a trailer showcasing the three newcomers.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Damn I'm really liking this lineup. I think Darli Dagger might be my favorite newcomer design-wise.

Also lol at this official SamSho twitter response to someone wanting Melee at EVO.
Wu Ruixiang is my favourite out of the three newcomers in my opinion.

Maybe someone (if they have twitter) could ask them to see whether they would support the idea of Nakoruru as Smash Ultimate DLC?

I've been thinking about the possibility of an SNK character in Smash for a while too - be it Terry, Mai or Geese from Fatal Fury, but Nakoruru would be my go-to for a SamSho character in Smash. Feel free to put me in the supporter's list!
Those and Kyo Kusanagi would also be my other candidates as SNK representatives too.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Maybe someone (if they have twitter) could ask them to see whether they would support the idea of Nakoruru as Smash Ultimate DLC?
I think that would be cool. Someone could also ask SNK's general twitter account about their thoughts of having any SNK character in Smash.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I think that would be cool. Someone could also ask SNK's general twitter account about their thoughts of having any SNK character in Smash.
I could try, but PR accounts usually don’t reply to questions like those often, either to not give away some sort of confidential info or they just don’t want to make people suspicious about something that doesn’t really exist. There’s very few people out there that will give you straight up answers, but I can guarantee that SNK isn’t one of them.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I could try, but PR accounts usually don’t reply to questions like those often, either to not give away some sort of confidential info or they just don’t want to make people suspicious about something that doesn’t really exist. There’s very few people out there that will give you straight up answers, but I can guarantee that SNK isn’t one of them.
Good point. Now that I think about it, they probably wouldn't hint at Smash info if it were to happen and regardless the English twitter account probably wouldn't know of any Smash dealings either way.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I support! An SNK rep would be nice, especially a Smasho fighter since its my favorite fighting serie alongside Smash. Nakoruru is a really nice choice and her moveset potentiel is more original than Terry in my honest opinion.

So yeah add me to the support list even if I prefer Tam Tam

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
A character with some falconry moves would be interesting, and I've been meaning to get into Samsho, especially with the new one on the horizon. I support.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I do remember that there was a rumor about Nakoruru's inclusion a few weeks ago even though I would personally take it with a grain of salt for now:

https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-140#post-23131358

Sari Sari - A very interesting writup on your thoughts on the possibility of an SNK rep.
As much as I would love to believe in that leak I'm mainly leaning towards it being fake since it seems to just be text and that's it. I would love to be wrong though and actually have Nakoruru be in Smash. SNK representation in Smash isn't too farfetched and I think people are really sleeping on the company's chances in general though.

Also the main theme of the new Samurai Shodown was recently uploaded which includes English vocals. It's a bit corny but still cool at the same time.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Not sure about the lyrics, but the instrumental is really cool.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
As much as I would love to believe in that leak I'm mainly leaning towards it being fake since it seems to just be text and that's it. I would love to be wrong though and actually have Nakoruru be in Smash. SNK representation in Smash isn't too farfetched and I think people are really sleeping on the company's chances in general though.

Also the main theme of the new Samurai Shodown was recently uploaded which includes English vocals. It's a bit corny but still cool at the same time.
Well I do agree that there is a possibility that the leak could very well be fake, but I think its usually best to wait and see since the last 4 DLC characters is still up in the air at the moment, but we will find out eventually who they are.

It is also like you said, SNK does deserve representation in Smash and with the likes of Geese, Terry and Mai crossing over to other titles, I think there could still be a chance that Nintendo/Sakurai could consider someone from SNK. Other than that, I didn't realise Nakoruru as one of the popular female characters out of SNK.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see who will be the 4 DLC characters that are part of the Samurai Shodown season pass.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
This thread has grown really fast. Here's hoping we get even more supporters as the Samurai Shodown hype grows!

I'll be working on her moveset and other updates to the OP at the end of this week since I'm going to be extremely busy from Monday to Wednesday.

Dannio

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dannio0426
3DS FC
3239-8498-1348
Switch FC
SW 5897 9391 2885
Nakoruru is really interesting, and she would make a great SNK rep. I support.

D

Deleted member

I've said before that I find it weird how little discussion there is around a potential SNK character. I've never played a Samsho game, but the reboot has me very interested, and Nakoruru looks like she could have a really interesting moveset in Smash. I support.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Jolly good, is it possible to have it in a smaller size.

I've said before that I find it weird how little discussion there is around a potential SNK character. I've never played a Samsho game, but the reboot has me very interested, and Nakoruru looks like she could have a really interesting moveset in Smash. I support.
I hear you on that, neither the fans nor SNK itself have made any noise in regards to wanting one of those in Smash.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I hear you on that, neither the fans nor SNK itself have made any noise in regards to wanting one of those in Smash.
The replies in this tweet help to show that SNK Smash support is at least kind of present in the West. The original tweet also talks about similarities between Smash and KoF since Sakurai played KoF 95 back in the day which is pretty interesting. But yeah, for the most part support for an SNK character in Smash is nowhere near as big as some other characters out there. SNK is pretty popular in Latin America and China though so there could always be some major vocal support that we're all unaware of. As for why SNK isn't vocal about Smash support, they may not be allowed to talk about things like that due to being under an NDA.

In my opinion I think the three most likely SNK characters are Terry, Kyo, and Nakoruru.
  • Terry because he's basically the mascot of SNK as a whole and is a KoF regular.
  • Kyo because he's the main protagonist of one of SNK's longest running and most popular series. Also KoF XV is reportedly in development.
  • Nakoruru because she's one of SNK's most popular characters and can be considered a mascot along Terry. She also has SamSho 2019 to help boost her publicity a bit.
These three are the ones I see brought up the most whenever SNK in Smash is mentioned (Athena and Geese are honorable mentions). They have advantages over most other SNK characters due to their popularity, relevance, and other important reasons; Mai Shiranui for example probably can't be in Smash since her outfit/jiggle physics are way too NSFW.

I think the best way for SNK support to grow even further is to get the word out about the company's characters, specifically of the three I just mentioned since they have the most going for them. My main issue is figuring out exactly how we'd go about doing that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Mai Shiranui for example probably can't be in Smash since her outfit/jiggle physics are way too NSFW.
This is why I doubt that list that says Mai had the most ballot entries: There are plenty of popular characters among SNK fans, and you choose the one whose clothes have to be censored more than those of a character from a series with a higher ESRB rating?

Last edited:
Top Bottom