• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nature's Calling - Nakoruru for Smash! (Maybe next season?)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Hey guys, just wanted to come in and give my condolences. I never really cared for Nakoruru either way, but I thought intentionally showing her reaching for the Smash invitation and failing was a little mean spirited.

If it's any consolation, I do think that Nakoruru is next on the list in terms of SNK characters. Samurai Showdown is one of SNK's biggest properties and I know SNK often considers Terry and Nakoruru their defacto mascots. Plus, SNK is officially in the door, which will be good in the long run. Hell, I could even see her joining the battle down the road if they choose to look back to SNK for further choices.

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
Well... Maybe another day...
There was a problem fetching the tweet

amageish

Smash Master
I will say: the fact that we got a trailer full of "Maybe they'll get their chance another day"-level teases right before the confirmation of more DLC does raise my hopes slightly for another SNK character in the DLC... They're not super high hopes, but I definitely think it is possible.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, just wanted to come in and give my condolences. I never really cared for Nakoruru either way, but I thought intentionally showing her reaching for the Smash invitation and failing was a little mean spirited.

If it's any consolation, I do think that Nakoruru is next on the list in terms of SNK characters. Samurai Showdown is one of SNK's biggest properties and I know SNK often considers Terry and Nakoruru their defacto mascots. Plus, SNK is officially in the door, which will be good in the long run. Hell, I could even see her joining the battle down the road if they choose to look back to SNK for further choices.
That trailer was beyond mean and actually really upsets me. And we don’t know how likely SNK will get another crossover, so I have the habit of thinking “if she didn’t make it in now, she missed her chance.” Yes, I’m a ****ing pessimist but I can’t really help it right now.
Well... Maybe another day...
I’m still super salty and that fanart made it even worse.

Honestly guys, Nakoruru getting robbed of her spot and the trailer actually rubbing it in our faces is affecting me more than what is probably healthy and I should probably refrain from posting for awhile.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That trailer was beyond mean and actually really upsets me. And we don’t know how likely SNK will get another crossover, so I have the habit of thinking “if she didn’t make it in now, she missed her chance.” Yes, I’m a ****ing pessimist but I can’t really help it right now.

I’m still super salty and that fanart made it even worse.

Honestly guys, Nakoruru getting robbed of her spot and the trailer actually rubbing it in our faces is affecting me more than what is probably healthy and I should probably refrain from posting for awhile.
The shot of hope from the website leak to the leaks that it was terry was so short that I didn't have time to get attached to the idea of having nakoruru, but if I'd been hoping for her for longer I think I could understand the harshness of it. I like to think of it that she at least was acknowledged, and if ever there's a chance for another snk character, it'll be cool to think that she has a chance..

Something they could've done in the trailer instead of showing those characters (because of people who like them) is to just show a bunch of gameplay from that era on the neogeo, to kind of give a feel of the nostalgia instead of teasing, but in any case it does suck, and I've tried banjo and it doesn't quite do much for me, and then the next character (terry) most likely won't either, so I feel like it's a long waiting game to see what comes next.

If I were even more impatient, I'd feel it even more, but it's still something to know that there's more characters coming along.

Anyway, hope you feel better. Sorry it didn't feel good to you. here's to hoping for something cool coming up at some point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sorry to hear about Nakoruru not happening everyone but hey at least there's still more DLC on the way right? Just like how Geno could happen and he's from Square Nakoruru could also potentially happen and she's from SNK. It's the wild west out there everyone so don't feel down even if now seems to be a horrible spot cause plenty of other characters went through that and got in anyways.

And hey even if she may not get in she was at least a contender as the Trailer suggested they even played her de facto theme so she may have been a contender if not one of the front liners so if that's anything to go by in Smash 6 if not Additional DLC I wouldn't be surprised to see her get in.

And potentially we could get a Mii Costume + Song for the mean time? Either way this may be a loss right now but the future never looked brighter past all this Terry stuff. It's alright everyone eventually I'm sure you'll make your glorious debut it's just a matter of when not if. You got this even if it may or may not be Additional DLC it could be Smash 6. You got this.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sorry everyone. I guess that the "main characters first" rule is still in place.

At least SNK is finally in, so chances went from "freaking impossible" to "somewhat decent", so they'll be bound to get additional characters at some point in the future.

Last edited:

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
(had a busy week, so couldn't respond to the reveal.)
As a fan of SNK games, seeing so many characters almost get the letter really toyed with my heart strings. especially when Nakoruru showed up. dang it Mamahaha! why'd you have to miss?!

still though, i can't say i'm entirely disappointed. Nakoruru appearing in the trailer at all at least is a testament to her popularity, and it could even mean she was considered for the spot at some point. Terry absolutely has priority being the poster boy of SNK, however. it's not a huge surprise they decided on him. he looks really good too! i'm still excited for him being in the game.

Here's hoping if we get a second SNK character after the first fighter pass, Mamahaha won't miss again!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
My heart broke seeing Nakoruru fail to reach the letter on Terry's trailer, and after his gameplay was shown, I guess hoping he'd involve some sort of tag team mechanic where he swaps with other SNK reps would be acting delusional at this point, eh? I guess I'll have to comfort myself with the Steam version of the new SamSho later down the road this year, maybe KoFXIV.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
I will continue to support her, you never know if we will have a second SNK rep!

Last edited:

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
If a future season adds someone else from snk I can see a trailer that redoes the first one except it stops at either Nakoruru or Iori, would be a nice segaway

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If a future season adds someone else from snk I can see a trailer that redoes the first one except it stops at either Nakoruru or Iori, would be a nice segaway
Or better yet...

She's not able to get it but then as it seems Terry is about to she and her hawk appears knocking him aside similar to:ultkrool:with:ultkingdedede:

The satiation that'd bring.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Or better yet...

She's not able to get it but then as it seems Terry is about to she and her hawk appears knocking him aside similar to:ultkrool:with:ultkingdedede:

The satiation that'd bring.
Terry already had his invite though, Dedede was just trolling the wildlife. Unless Terry was getting it to his son or something, I imagine the trolling would have to be against someone who wanted an invite...

Maybe Geese? He's a villain anyway so you wont feel to sorry for him and you can make it so the Hawk is the one that drops him off his building to his death

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Terry already had his invite though, Dedede was just trolling the wildlife. Unless Terry was getting it to his son or something, I imagine the trolling would have to be against someone who wanted an invite...

Maybe Geese? He's a villain anyway so you wont feel to sorry for him and you can make it so the Hawk is the one that drops him off his building to his death
Just thought it'd be an "apology" to those that wanted Nakoruru and who says it can't be redone?

But I'm down for the son idea. That'd be satisfying enough.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Just thought it'd be an "apology" to those that wanted Nakoruru and who says it can't be redone?

But I'm down for the son idea. That'd be satisfying enough.
That would be mean to Terry though and doesnt make much sense since hes already in the roster so he doesnt need a letter, I tried to think on some possibilities and chose the 3 I liked the most, my ideas would be one of the following:

1- She steals it from Geese and the bird drops him off the building

2- the order is inverted of the original trailer so her part is the last one

3- Terry does get the letter but then he turns around and gives it to her

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'd say Nako is the likeliest rep for SNK after Terry, but I'm not counting on them getting anything else, and that feeling will only get worse if she appears as a stage cameo/spirit/mii costume (which I fully expect tbh). In a theoretic reveal, I don't see why things would get vitriolic between her and Terry though, I think it's likelier we'd see him extend his arm and invite her to join in some aftermath scenario from his reveal or something.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why things would get vitriolic between her and Terry though, I think it's likelier we'd see him extend his arm and invite her to join in some aftermath scenario from his reveal or something.
Agree 100%, that would go with my scenario 3: Terry grabs an extra letter and gives it to her (also works in other hypothetical snk reps)

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Soooooooo...

Who do you want to see in season 2 of Samurai Shodown? For now we have Mina. The season 2 will mostly have 4 characters but lets pretend an other will be free.

For me:
Gen-An
Nicotine
Kusaregedo
Cham-Cham

Last edited:

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
Soooooooo...

Who do you want to see in season 2 of Samurai Shodown? For now we have Mina. The season 2 will mostly have 4 characters but lets pretend an other will be free.

For me:
Gen-An
Nicotine
Kusaregedo
Cham-Cham
Hoping for Gen-An to come back. He's the last of the OG SamSho characters left to come back. I'm also expecting Sogetsu to be in since his brother Kazuki is in season 1.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
I have to say that even though i`m happy that more DLC fighters are coming i`m still very disappointed in this fighter pass. Terry`s inclusion didn`t hype me one bit and the way they showed Nakoruru failing to get the smash invitation really hurted me for awhile. If the 5th character is not female then this literally a sausage fest fighter pass. They need to make the next pass all female fighters.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Chrom got teased to hell and back and he got in.

Let's just hope that we don't have to wait for Super Smash Bros Omega or Nintendo X SNK.

D

Deleted member

I have to say that even though i`m happy that more DLC fighters are coming i`m still very disappointed in this fighter pass. Terry`s inclusion didn`t hype me one bit and the way they showed Nakoruru failing to get the smash invitation really hurted me for awhile. If the 5th character is not female then this literally a sausage fest fighter pass. They need to make the next pass all female fighters.
YO WE HAVE A FORUM FOR THAT! https://smashboards.com/threads/ultimatedlcsomale-the-female-dlc-character-discussion.489865/

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I see this complain a lot, and like...Smash has always kind of been a sausage fest? While there's criticism to be made, I think it highlights more the problem with the game industry in how often males get the spotlight than Smash in itself being obsessed with males. Don't get me wrong, I'm a bigger fan of Nako and SamSho as a whole over Fatal Fury and Terry, but when you're competing with what's often considered the mascot of the company...it's a steep battle to have, just like hoping someone other than the protagonists gets in Smash over them.
I dunno if they'll go with a female character through DLC, we have yet to see how they'll handle post fighters pass picks, but I doubt we'll see 5 new girls added to the roster, I'd even doubt 3 are remotely likely.
Well Chrom got teased to hell and back and he got in.

Let's just hope that we don't have to wait for Super Smash Bros Omega or Nintendo X SNK.
Much as I'd like to be hopeful, Chrom also didn't have 3-4 more character laying in the ground with him waiting for their chance. It's not just Nako that failed to reach the letter, but algo Geese, Iori, etc. I'd like to believe Nako would be next in line from all of those, but I just can't find myself being optimistic over the idea of another SNK rep, but Ultimate in particular has pulled what was previously seen as super unlikely, so who knows.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Much as I'd like to be hopeful, Chrom also didn't have 3-4 more character laying in the ground with him waiting for their chance. It's not just Nako that failed to reach the letter, but algo Geese, Iori, etc. I'd like to believe Nako would be next in line from all of those, but I just can't find myself being optimistic over the idea of another SNK rep, but Ultimate in particular has pulled what was previously seen as super unlikely, so who knows.
Well Nakaruru does have the advantage of her individual series getting a new game whereas near all of SNK's other characters rely on KoF for their appearances these days. But modern relevance is only a tangential thing when it comes to Smash characters.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Relevancy is a fickle matter, I think it only matters in franchises already represented that might be getting another newcomer. Like, you'd push for a Gen 8 Pokemon or a lord from the new FE, not someone from Gen 3-5 or Hector/Micaiah. I'd give an example with Zelda as well but it seems the only way that franchise is getting any new characters is through Link clones that have very minimal differences :046:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Relevancy is a fickle matter, I think it only matters in franchises already represented that might be getting another newcomer. Like, you'd push for a Gen 8 Pokemon or a lord from the new FE, not someone from Gen 3-5 or Hector/Micaiah. I'd give an example with Zelda as well but it seems the only way that franchise is getting any new characters is through Link clones that have very minimal differences :046:
Zelda's a strange series plotwise as it's mostly the same central cast rebooted each time with only Ganondorf being a constant. Even then there's three alternate timeline variants, one reincarnation and whatever Calamity Ganon is. (Only thing it's not is what it sounds like, a western musical.)

Still Hyrule Warriors did a much better job of giving the different Links and Zeldas their own moveset.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Zelda's a strange series plotwise as it's mostly the same central cast rebooted each time with only Ganondorf being a constant. Even then there's three alternate timeline variants, one reincarnation and whatever Calamity Ganon is. (Only thing it's not is what it sounds like, a western musical.)

Still Hyrule Warriors did a much better job of giving the different Links and Zeldas their own moveset.
It's in the same corner as Kirby (although this one didn't have the major antagonist made a clone for reasons I'll never understand, and no, don't tell me time constrains), the bases are well covered and every new potential fighter loses their chances as soon as the next mainline game releases: Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim. Vaati is the only one that can boast not being a one off, but he was in two of the more obscure entries of the franchise so kind of a moot point.
I wouldn't mind the Links sharing similar normals, but at least the specials should all differ between each other, and Yinks FS not being fierce deity is a crime.

But back to Nakoruru, would you guys still feel hopeful on her being possible if she appeared as a stage cameo, spirit and/or mii costume? I know we've seen situations where cameos are adjusted according to the fighters currently present and mii costumes later becoming fighters (although no one seems to bring up this only happened a game later from when the mii costumes were created), but I dunno, I feel when this is done through DLC that's kind of a nail in the coffin for the character chances.

Troykv

Smash Master
Technically older characters can benefit they get fancy remakes; after all that is one of the reasons why Pokemon Trainer it's in Smash (along with their gimmick and the overall popularity of Red and Charizard).

But yeah, relevancy is mostly a thing for franchises that cycling characters. For characters of the more static casts it's extremely unlikely to join unless you belong to the Mario's franchise, and that still has a lot to do with recognition and fame.

It's weird how I ended up in this place, but this looks like a nice thread

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Technically older characters can benefit they get fancy remakes; after that is one of the reasons why Pokemon Trainer it's in Smash (along with their gimmick and the overall popularity of Red and Charizard).
I wish Pkmn Trainer could have been a Hoenn representation instead, I'm not a fan of Pokemon to care much about them getting more characters or a specific critter, but at least the variety between regions would be nice.
It's weird how I ended up in this place, but this looks like a nice thread
It's because birb ladies.

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
SamSho 2019 is going to get it's first proper set of DLC costumes, starting with a collaboration with Puzzle & Dragons.
(With a vice versa collab happening with P&D.)
Not what I was expecting, but I'm happy that this game is getting more new stuff outside of just new characters.

Also, posting a Nak.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
SamSho 2019 is going to get it's first proper set of DLC costumes, starting with a collaboration with Puzzle & Dragons.
(With a vice versa collab happening with P&D.)
Not what I was expecting, but I'm happy that this game is getting more new stuff outside of just new characters.

Also, posting a Nak.
I suppose Puzzle and Dragons getting SamSho characters isn't entirely surprising, given how they collaborate with so many companies, but the collaboration being reciprocal is kind of shocking to me... Glad we're getting more updates though!

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
A new trailer for the Switch version of SamSho 2019 is out, showing off the gameplay at 60fps.
As well as footage of SamSho 2 (Neo Geo Pocket) on the Switch.

While I'm happy that the port looks to be very good (probably looking to be one of the better fighting game ports to the Switch), the lack of a western release date is honestly worrisome. Especially now that we're nearing to December. Just hoping that SNK doesn't leave it too late.

That being said, here's a (cosplay) Nak for today:

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nakoruru deconfirmed into a mii costume :/

Well at least she's in <3

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
An DLC Spirit and Mii costume AND being trolled in Terry's reveal.

Damn as if we didn't get it hard enough.

Nakoruru's out of the running.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
welp, can't say I'm surprised, not seeing her as a stage cameo felt a little weird given her appeareance in KoFXIV though. At least it's neat her theme got in and spirits weren't restrticted to just FF? Although that further pushes that she's disconfirmed alongside the mii costume. Ah well, can't win them all.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Nakoruru deconfirmed into a mii costume :/

Well at least she's in <3
I'm glad to see she was represented in some dynamic, and that the team recognized her popularity! Perhaps she'll become playable next game.

Top Bottom