• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nature's Calling - Nakoruru for Smash! (Maybe next season?)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I recall this post, but do you know if it appeared before or after the post I quoted? If this came after, I would guess Sabi just decided to go neutral going forward rather than saying anything further, as she is on rocky ground with Nintendo's previous thread of legal action.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I recall this post, but do you know if it appeared before or after the post I quoted? If this came after, I would guess Sabi just decided to go neutral going forward rather than saying anything further, as she is on rocky ground with Nintendo's previous thread of legal action.
it was before I think? it just is so weird to keep flip floping like that.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
it was before I think? it just is so weird to keep flip floping like that.
It's weird. I imagine it could make sense if we got a better look at when all of these took place and which are 100% true, but there is a lot to sift through.

zferolie

Smash Hero
It's weird. I imagine it could make sense if we got a better look at when all of these took place and which are 100% true, but there is a lot to sift through.
Right now I'm beleiving all these other leaks, the Milk Leak, and the Japanese Sakura leak, that are pointing towards Nakoruru, female fighter with a flying weapon, a japanese girl in a shrine maiden outfit. things seem to be pointing there.

Plus, no offense... terry Bores me. I wouldn't be angry but man so many SNK characters with unique fighting styles and you go for Terry?

amageish

Smash Master
Based on the timestamps in both, this was after. That said, she also explicitly says not to trust fake DMs in this, when the other post is literally DMs. I don’t know if she’d tell people something that big in DMs and then say “Don’t trust DMs!” 15 minutes later? I don’t want to accuse anyone of faking, but it strikes me as odd.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Based on the timestamps in both, this was after. That said, she also explicitly says not to trust fake DMs in this, when the other post is literally DMs. I don’t know if she’d tell people something that big in DMs and then say “Don’t trust DMs!” 15 minutes later? I don’t want to accuse anyone of faking, but it strikes me as odd.
Ok so that does help me feel a lot better haha. This clash of information was driving me nuts

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Right now I'm beleiving all these other leaks, the Milk Leak, and the Japanese Sakura leak, that are pointing towards Nakoruru, female fighter with a flying weapon, a japanese girl in a shrine maiden outfit. things seem to be pointing there.
Yeah, there is a lot of leaks that popped up recently that fit in rather well with Nakoruru.
Well, she did specify fake DM's. I doubt the user I quoted is faking, as that seems like a rather major risk at a time where everyone is suspicious of possible fake posts.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, there is a lot of leaks that popped up recently that fit in rather well with Nakoruru.

Well, she did specify fake DM's. I doubt the user I quoted is faking, as that seems like a rather major risk at a time where everyone is suspicious of possible fake posts.
But why would she say that publically, then say in a DM something different? it just smells off to me. all this Sabi stuff is off to me. I'm just going with my gut with these other leaks/rumors right now.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
But why would she say that publically, then say in a DM something different? it just smells off to me. all this Sabi stuff is off to me. I'm just going with my gut with these other leaks/rumors right now.
Wasn't it the other way around(Or am I misreading amageish amageish 's post)? I do trust what Sabi has to say on this topic, but I have been following her and several of her connections in the Geno thread for a good while now, so this stuff doesn't really phase me too much.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Wasn't it the other way around(Or am I misreading amageish amageish 's post)? I do trust what Sabi has to say on this topic, but I have been following her and several of her connections in the Geno thread for a good while now, so this stuff doesn't really phase me too much.
yeah should have said that the other way around. Say that in a DM then say something else publically.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
yeah should have said that the other way around. Say that in a DM then say something else publically.
Well, as long as the two things weren't exactly on top of each other, it could still her just getting more vague as time goes on and cutting possible commotion. It has been a rather fast day leak wise, so developments like that could happen. If it was the other way around, then it would be weird.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, as long as the two things weren't exactly on top of each other, it could still her just getting more vague as time goes on and cutting possible commotion. It has been a rather fast day leak wise, so developments like that could happen. If it was the other way around, then it would be weird.
True true. Well, we shall see most likely this week

amageish

Smash Master
That is very fair. It just is a very big thing to reveal via DM when refusing to comment publicly. It may just be to cover for her legally though, as you mentioned.

Now, watch as it’s a random King of Fighters character nobody expects.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That is very fair. It just is a very big thing to reveal via DM when refusing to comment publicly. It may just be to cover for her legally though, as you mentioned.

Now, watch as it’s a random King of Fighters character nobody expects.
Maybe she figured it was fine to DM since ForsakenM ForsakenM was very explicate about sharing it with everyone?

Considering my lack of knowledge of KoF, that is most of the roster for me.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Out of all the potential SNK characters debated about recently. Nakoruru is the one that shines to me the most. Her design pops the most, she has the most obvious potential, and I'm especially loving the bird dive attacks and swishy scarf? moves. Definitely the one I'm rooting for.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm not a massive fan of any SNK fighters but, if it has to be someone, Nakoruru is one of the more interesting potential inclusions. I'd be a lot happier with her than with most of what I see predicted.

Last edited:

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
The recent trademark craziness made me look into the commonly speculated SNK characters, and now I'm 100% rooting for Nakoruru.
Her moveset would be super cool and unlike anything we have in the game now.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
until terry punches the **** out of everything on wednesday/thursday, i'm fully on board for bird gang

though i think the milk bosatsu leak is the only thing going for her right now (and also that sabi's DMs are real and she's just covering her ass legally), she just looks like she'd be so much more interesting than SNK's other offerings

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday, I did not even know SNK that much.
I only knew Terry beforehand
But now.....HERE COMES A NEW SUPPORTER
I'm REALLY hoping Nakoruru is the one Sakurai chose to be in Smash Ultimate
I already love her despite never having played any KoF or SamSho game in my life
She looks way more unique than Terry or Kyo, and on top of that she could be our female dlc fighter :D

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
Please add me to the list of supporters. Nakoruru would be ideal to kill three birds with one stone: KoF rep, SamSho rep, female DLC character.

(Personally I find it imperative that the character is from SamSho so that they can advertise the Switch release.)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Out of curiosity, what do you guys think she would have as a final smash?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
After doing research on the character, I’m definitely for Nakoruru being the SNK rep if this turns out to be true. She definitely looks like she could have a fun and unique playstyle and we have some precedent of Japanese popularity being a factor with Hero.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
You guys mind if I join in on the support? I used to play a lot of SamuraiShodown 5 with my dad when I was younger, and I remembered I always played as either Nakoruru or Enja.
I didn’t even realize Nakoruru had a chance to get in the game and a decent amount of supporters until the SNK copyright stuff that came about recently. So I thought, “hell yeah, that sounds really cool!”
Nakoruru getting in Smash would mean a lot to me, mostly for nostalgic purposes. Plus it would give me and my dad something to freak out over lol

amageish

Smash Master
Afterthoughts on Sabi’s DMs: What was the conversation like on the Geno thread that the person messaging her wanted to shut up? Was it people predicting Nakoruru or people predicting Metal Slug and other non-fighter characters?

As far as I can tell, the main speculation for SNK fighting games characters are all characters who are in King of Fighters, but not “from” it. The only expdctions are Kyo and Iori.

So, depending on the context, I don’t think Nakoruru has had her hopes broken completely by this. She’s not primarily a KOF character, but most famous people in that series aren’t.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Afterthoughts on Sabi’s DMs: What was the conversation like on the Geno thread that the person messaging her wanted to shut up? Was it people predicting Nakoruru or people predicting Metal Slug and other non-fighter characters?

As far as I can tell, the main speculation for SNK fighting games characters are all characters who are in King of Fighters, but not “from” it. The only expdctions are Kyo and Iori.

So, depending on the context, I don’t think Nakoruru has had her hopes broken completely by this. She’s not primarily a KOF character, but most famous people in that series aren’t.
The Geno thread was just in a bit of chaos overall(Seriously, the thread moves scary fast when things like this happen), so any and all clarification from Sabi was seen as a good thing.

Thay reminds me, it was suggested in the Geno thread that they could pull a Pokemon trainer with a KoF character, as teams are a thing there. I found it a rather neat idea. Here is a quote.
Good day everyone. I'd like to share this here article from last year in which Sakurai talks about his days playing at the arcade, and the lesson he learned then of being mindful of all types of players. A little something to note is him mentioning that back then he was playing King of Fighters 95. What's to note from this title is that, aside from the obvious of it being the direct sequel to KoF 94 (which has the intro scene that would be FITTING for a Smash reveal), KoF 95 also has the inclusion of a sealed invitation within the intro .

In addition to the former article, there's another in which Sakurai touches upon character choices. This article is from back in 2015, and one of the things Sakurai seeks in a potential character for the roster is uniqueness. Taking into account that Sakurai is knowledgeable of the KoF series, thus knowing the mechanics of the source material (the team fights), and him having worked on Pokémon Trainer's design (three-in-one character), I could see it possible for him incorporating the SNK/KoF rep as a trio of characters which would include Kyo, Benimaru, and Goro, which formed Team Japan back in the early KoFs. True that in the games you could not tag out and switch to other team members, but the mechanic could be worked around somehow. However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that instead of going full-on source material, the character trio would consists of the most popular KoF characters, and not a specific Team from the series (i.e. Kyo, Terry, Mai; or Kyo, Terry, Nakoruru; etc.).

Also, let us remember that in EVO 2019, SNK teased King of Fighters XV (currently in development) so, that could go along with plans of promoting the series with the inclusion of KoF characters in Smash prior to KoF XVs release.
You guys think they would actually try that out? I think it could be cool.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
The Geno thread was just in a bit of chaos overall(Seriously, the thread moves scary fast when things like this happen), so any and all clarification from Sabi was seen as a good thing.

Thay reminds me, it was suggested in the Geno thread that they could pull a Pokemon trainer with a KoF character, as teams are a thing there. I found it a rather neat idea. Here is a quote.
a kyo/terry/nakoruru fighter would be an absolutely insane reveal and bring all the different rumours together in a way that actually makes sense

also would fit very nicely into SNK's penchant for team-based fights and KoF's basis as a crossover game that predates even smash

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
a kyo/terry/nakoruru fighter would be an absolutely insane reveal and bring all the different rumours together in a way that actually makes sense

also would fit very nicely into SNK's penchant for team-based fights and KoF's basis as a crossover game that predates even smash
Out of curiosity, what leaks are you talking about specifically?

With that combination, we would get Fatal Fury, King of Fighters and Samurai Showdown representation all in one. Would be a rather nice showcase of the classic SNK fighting games and kinda feels like a Sakurai move. As someone unfamiliar with SNK, though, how would they go about having each character fulfil certain roles and niches for the team as a whole?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Out of curiosity, what leaks are you talking about specifically?
nakoruru for milk bosatsu, kyo for sabi saying KoF, terry for being terry

i'm honestly more inclined to believe milk than sabi at the moment given how weird sabi is acting lately (lying about talking to vergeben, deleting her KoF in smash claim then saying she never made it), but we'll see how it all pans out

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
nakoruru for milk bosatsu, kyo for sabi saying KoF, terry for being terry

i'm honestly more inclined to believe milk than sabi at the moment given how weird sabi is acting lately (lying about talking to vergeben, deleting her KoF in smash claim then saying she never made it), but we'll see how it all pans out
Makes sense.

Never really heard those things before. Sabi has certainly changed gears a bit, but I mainly see it as her trying to be more neutral. Another persona in contact with Sabi's source in the Geno thread(And who is the one who informed everyone about the Starling) is also getting much more secretive about stuff because to all the commotion. He even said he made a promise when it comes to no more sharing on certain topics and developments. It seems like that leaking circle is going into lock down mode.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wow! That “three fighters team” idea sounds awesome!

It would satisfy a lot of SNK fans.

Nakoruru for Samurai Shodown fans.
Terry Bogard for Fatal Fury fans.
Kyo Kusanagi for King of Fighters fans.

And all three are actually SNK mascots in their own rights. And this “three fighters team” idea would pay homage to King of Fighters gameplay.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I find it hard to believe that any Fighter Pass would include a Pokémon Trainer situation; that’s essentially three separate characters for the same price as one normal character, and three separate movesets for the Smash team to work on, on top of everything else they’ve been doing with the DLC.

Oh, btw, I’m definitely on the Nakoruru hype train. I’m pessimistic on her chances with Terry being the company mascot and all, but she’s definitely the most interesting character of the recently speculated bunch (imo).

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I find it hard to believe that any Fighter Pass would include a Pokémon Trainer situation; that’s essentially three separate characters for the same price as one normal character, and three separate movesets for the Smash team to work on, on top of everything else they’ve been doing with the DLC.

Oh, btw, I’m definitely on the Nakoruru hype train. I’m pessimistic on her chances with Terry being the company mascot and all, but she’s definitely the most interesting character of the recently speculated bunch (imo).
I guess that is the natural problem with the idea, but I could still see it happen. It would just mean the individual characters wouldn't get any individual in-depth mechanics like Arsene or the spell list. Plus, I imagine KoF characters would be a bit easier to translate over to Smash than most, moveset wise at least.

amageish

Smash Master

I love this idea. My main question is: What series would that character be listed as from?

In fact, what series would any character be listed as from? I almost wonder if they'll just have SNK get its own universe, as it'd be kind of odd if Terry got in without both Fatal Fury music and King of Fighters music...

Top Bottom