• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nature's Calling - Nakoruru for Smash! (Maybe next season?)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So there's a F2P Basketball game on Steam called Freestyle 2: Street Basketball. Haven't played it myself though it seems like an alright game.

Guess who just got added to it...

[Full announcement]

This really drives home that SNK is trying to spread their brand as much as they can.

Last edited:

Predictabo

Smash Cadet
KoF All-Star 1st anniversary artwork.

Predictabo

Smash Cadet

SNK at it again
Also Rimururu is playable at EVO and she has a retro costume

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So EVO starts today. Are you guys excited for SamSho and if so are there any players you guys are looking out for?

Admittedly I haven't been keeping too much track of SamSho 2019 as I still don't have the game yet, though I'll definitely be watching the grand finals.

Predictabo

Smash Cadet
Finals were awesome, especially the Kazunoko deflect into SSM.
Winner ruffled some feathers with a segment of twitter tho

Last edited:

CboyC95

Smash Apprentice
What do you thing her ring title is going to be? I predict: "The Vengeful Maiden".

Predictabo

Smash Cadet
Well, Nakoruru's nickname is "Mother Nature's Guardian" so I can imagine something similar

BTW, another collab but this time with a Sega mobile game, playable characters are Iroha, Galford, Nakoruru, Mina, Yashamaru and Haohmaru
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
nakoring.png

Nakoruru's Boxing Ring title.

Quite happy with how this turned out. It was originally going to just a regular mock-screenshot of how Nak would look in-game with Mamahaha in Battlefield. Saw the small chatter about what her title in the Boxing Ring stage would called and well, one thing led to another.

Predictabo

Smash Cadet
Looks incredible

One interesting thing I found while looking for older material was this:
https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/10/15223966/the-making-of-samurai-shodown

YA: There are three people in the industry who have influenced me. Nishiyama is one of them. Another is [Capcom veteran and, later, Game Republic founder] Yoshiki Okamoto, who I worked for at Capcom. The third is Masahiro Sakurai, who created Smash Bros. and Kirby. Nishiyama is one of the three people who had a strong influence on me as a creator. I don’t think Nishiyama feels that way at all, but he's had a huge influence on me. [Laughs]
Searching through the game databases, Samurai Shodown's creator worked with Sakurai in some of the later Kirby games.

Also, patch 1.11 was deployed, Genjurilla's reign of terror is over

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
Huh, so Nako got some buffs in the patch. Quite curious to see what she's now like in acti-oh my goodness...

One interesting thing I found while looking for older material was this:
https://www.polygon.com/2017/4/10/15223966/the-making-of-samurai-shodown

YA: There are three people in the industry who have influenced me. Nishiyama is one of them. Another is [Capcom veteran and, later, Game Republic founder] Yoshiki Okamoto, who I worked for at Capcom. The third is Masahiro Sakurai, who created Smash Bros. and Kirby. Nishiyama is one of the three people who had a strong influence on me as a creator. I don’t think Nishiyama feels that way at all, but he's had a huge influence on me. [Laughs]
Searching through the game databases, Samurai Shodown's creator worked with Sakurai in some of the later Kirby games.
That's a cool find! I wonder what Yasushi Adachi thought of SNK's work on the new SamSho.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Can you add me to the support list? I've never played Samurai Shodown, but Nakoruru looks awesome and I would love to see her get in as DLC. I might even get the new Samurai Shodown game

Predictabo

Smash Cadet
Just a heads up that while looking at the Nakoruru japanese tag on twitter for new art, there are several posts telling about a recent leak that says character 4 is a kimono wearing female character and a handful of people been naming her alongside Reimu and Pocky. Trying to find the actual source for this supposed leak.

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
Just a heads up that while looking at the Nakoruru japanese tag on twitter for new art, there are several posts telling about a recent leak that says character 4 is a kimono wearing female character and a handful of people been naming her alongside Reimu and Pocky. Trying to find the actual source for this supposed leak.
Between that and the 4chan female fighter "leak" (which now an anon claiming to be the same guy saying that the fighter has a mecha), I'd rather hear from someone like Vergben at this point. Everything is getting too chaotic right now.
nakoshake.gif

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
But is there any reason to believe this 4chan female fighter "leak"? It just seems like another random piece of text on the internet

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
But is there any reason to believe this 4chan female fighter "leak"? It just seems like another random piece of text on the internet
I don't know why it blew up all of a sudden. A lot has to do with that Overwatch Switch case and then people jumping into conclusions as always by tying the two things together. IMO, Sabi's tweet here describes the whole ordeal perfectly:

People simply have learned nothing from the Grinch Leak.​

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I mean, in response to MrBaconJam, I believe we're gonna get a female this DLC cycle, but I don't believe either of the 4chan posts. The character may be disappointing to a lot of people, but every DLC character has disappointed at least some people in some way. The mecha part is probably completely made up though. I think Milk Bosatu's leak is more believable than this random guy

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
Well guys, we finally got news about the Switch version of SamSho 2019! The release date is 12th December 2019 (Japan only for now, however a worldwide release is very likely to be close to that date) and will run at 60fps.
All there is left now is new info on the NeoGeo Collection. We haven't heard much about that since March.

Edit: Speak of the devil and he shall appear. Kind of...

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well guys, we finally got news about the Switch version of SamSho 2019! The release date is 12th December 2019 (Japan only for now, however a worldwide release is very likely to be close to that date) and will run at 60fps.
All there is left now is new info on the NeoGeo Collection. We haven't heard much about that since March.​
Sweet that's great to hear! Hopefully they optimize the port well so it doesn't take up so much space; I have the physical cartridge version of SNK Heroines on Switch and for some reason it takes up a whopping 3.5 GB. For reference Smash Ultimate is roughly 2 GB in extra memory.

Also it seems that they've also announced that the Neo Geo collection will be releasing in Japan around the same time in December.

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902

Predictabo

Smash Cadet
Nintendo's official account posted it too

Predictabo

Smash Cadet
Nakoruru would also line up with the things people are posting in japanese twitter that's the codename of the next character is "Sakura", Nakoruru exploded into cherry blossoms in SS1 when cut in half when in the air

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902
Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This may be of interest to you all:
https://www.nintendo.es/Contenido-descargable/Pack-del-aspirante-4-1519368.html

The copyright at the bottom says SNK. This is probably the next character: either Nakoruru, Terry, Iori, or Kyo. I’ll be crossposting this in those other threads.
Oh! This certainly would fit with that rumor about a female character who looks like she is from a fighting game and that she would have a flying weapon.

Terry Bogard is my number one choice for SNK rep. Nakoruru is still a pretty good choice. At least Nakoruru is actually one of SNK mascots.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What might lean more in Nakoruru's favor is Partner Theory.

:ultjoker:: Morgana
:ulthero:: Slime
:ultbanjokazooie:: Kazooie

Something to think about.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Nakoruru has a lot of things going for her. She's one of the most popular SNK characters period, having crossed over in both SNK Heroines and KoF, is currently the leading female in SamSho. She was recently ranked third in a popularity poll, below only Terry and Geese.

While Smash usually goes with "leading character" reps, SNK's characters are usually spread so far and wide, only for them to congregate under a single banner in KoF, that the amount of characters they have which constitute leads can be pretty wide. There's also the fact that in recent history, all of SNK's cameo appearances have been different characters. DOA6 got Mai and Kula, FELX got Terry, Tekken 7 got Geese, Million Arthur Arcana Blood got Iori, etc.

Right now, Nakoruru is one of the only "iconic" SNK character who hasn't crossed over with a non-SNK game yet. Kyo, who is KoF's "poster boy" if anyone, is also another candidate. That said, the former also represents SamSho which is currently active as well, and the pass is lacking female characters, so who knows. If SNK got to be selective of who to include, it's possible they would want her to set apart from other cameo characters.

Either way, whoever it is, is most likely someone who's been in a KoF game, given that it's SNK's premiere series and also a franchise that was very formative for Sakurai.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
This may be of interest to you all:
https://www.nintendo.es/Contenido-descargable/Pack-del-aspirante-4-1519368.html

The copyright at the bottom says SNK. This is probably the next character: either Nakoruru, Terry, Iori, or Kyo. I’ll be crossposting this in those other threads.
This is curious, but if this does truly lead to an SNK rep being in Smash, they really do deserve representation. For who it might be, my guesses would be between Nakoruru, Terry Bogard or Kyo Kusanagi.

Here is what I believe is the translated version which still has that SNK trademark at the bottom:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Challenger-Pack-4-1519368.html

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
If the SNK copyright thing pans out, I'm hoping for Nakoruru. I'm not an expert on Samurai Shodown by any means, but, like, she is an environmentalist who fights via falcon. This is good.

Also, there is that image of a bird that was casually dropped in Sabi's discord by an alleged leaker. It wasn't a falcon, but birds are birds.

MrBaconJam

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrBaconJam64
Switch FC
SW-0527-7451-6902

The SNK character is not confirmed (yet) and already fanart is just starting up now.​

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know what, screw it. Sign me up for support, she would be unique, and potentially pave the way for one of my dream picks (KOS-MOS or Elma) if she is explicitly linked to the Milk Bosatu rumor and she is confirmed

amageish

Smash Master

PapaGenos speculates its Nakoruru, for whatever that's worth. Obviously he's just speculating with the rest of us, but it's nice to see someone high-profile saying someone who isn't Terry.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nakoruru would also line up with the things people are posting in japanese twitter that's the codename of the next character is "Sakura", Nakoruru exploded into cherry blossoms in SS1 when cut in half when in the air
Bit late but where are you seeing this? Official datamining by JP users or something?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I had literally never heard of this character before today. And you know what? Sign me up. I'm in.

I've always liked the idea of a new franchise getting in with a character who is not the protagonist or otherwise the one you'd expect to get in first. She looks like she'd have a pretty interesting playstyle. And hey, she cute, and I prefer playing female characters.

Top Bottom