• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Nintendo Of America 2014 National Open Tournament Gameplay Rules

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
In an effort to organize the rules, I sorted everything by category, and outlined what is done between the qualifier and national tournaments. Feel free to discuss the rules here. Note that, as these are rules laid down by Nintendo itself, complaining here is not likely to get them changed, and complaining without reasoning is even less likely to get anything done. This thread is strictly for discussion of what already is and perhaps should or shouldn't be in the future, not insisting on what could've or should've been.

Time Limit
Qualifier: 6 minutes
National: 6 minutes; no time limit for grand finals

Stock Count
Qualifier: No stocks
National: 4 stocks

Characters
Qualifier
- Default characters only
National
- All characters allowed
- Mii characters may only represent tournament player
- Players may not switch characters during tournament

Character Customization
Qualifier
- No customization
National
- Two customization sets allowed per character, must be determined before tournament and not changed during
- Players may not change customization except after a loss, in the finals (since the rest of the tournament is bo1, this basically means you can't counterpick on game 1)
- Certain equipment effects are not allowed:
-- Vampire: Life Stealing
-- Shield Healer: Shield restores health
-- Escape Artist: Shield Counter
-- Equipment that gives players an item when entering a battle: Star Rod, Lip’s Stick, Nintendo Scope, Ray Gun, Fire Flower, Beam Sword, Home Run Bat, Bomb-Omb, Mr. Saturn
-- Auto-Healer: Auto-Heal
-- Pity Final Smasher: Final Smash After Respawning
-- Final Smash Healer: Healing Smash Ball
-- Double Final Smasher: Double Final Smash
-- Sudden Death Gambler: Lucky Sudden Death

Items
Qualifier: All items on
National: Smash Balls only until top 4; all items off in top 4 and finals

Stages
Qualifier: Arena Ferox, Battlefield, Final Destination, Tomodachi Life, Yoshi's Island
National: All stages on until finals; Random Omega Form in finals

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The question we're all wondering: What are the standardized customization options on the "official" Nintendo save data they will be using?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Maybe a safe bet would be all the character/stage unlocks and special move customizations, but no equipment?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Maybe a safe bet would be all the character/stage unlocks and special move customizations, but no equipment?
This is what the community has almost unanimously expected to be the standard in competitive tourneys.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
This may be a dumb question...but are all the matches 1v1? Or is it going to be like the E3 Invitational where early matches are free for alls?

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
I'm not too sure about that. From the way it was worded, it sounds like only CERTAIN types of equipment will be banned, but otherwise, it'll be encouraged. It honestly sounds kind of dangerous, and I think forcing the other player to always use the Nintendo copy will be important for fairness, considering the fact that equipment values can differ, even between the same piece of equipment.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
This may be a dumb question...but are all the matches 1v1? Or is it going to be like the E3 Invitational where early matches are free for alls?
1v1.
It's been established for quite a while now that FFA isn't as good of a competitive option as 1v1.

Edit: I'm wrong. I thought I was replying in another thread.
Read posts below.

Last edited:

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
I'm impressed about this ruling, but why are items on in qualifying rounds? Is it to balance out the playing field between professional smashers and newbies, or are they just put in for a reason to eliminate players?

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
I'm impressed about this ruling, but why are items on in qualifying rounds? Is it to balance out the playing field between professional smashers and newbies, or are they just put in for a reason to eliminate players?
Probably to appeal to the casual crowd in addition to the competitive crowd, this game is supposed to cater to both crowds.

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
Probably to appeal to the casual crowd in addition to the competitive crowd, this game is supposed to cater to both crowds.
Well in all fairness, casual crowds are one of the main focus of smash bros and I can see why they put items on.

However, I really hope I don't see a casual make his way up to the 16 man bracket in NY and lose.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Well in all fairness, casual crowds are one of the main focus of smash bros and I can see why they put items on.

However, I really hope I don't see a casual make his way up to the 16 man bracket in NY and lose.
That probably won't happen, even with items on there's always a distinction between scrubs and genuinely good players. My question however is are items going to be on High? That would get me worried.

TheKazin

Smash Rookie
Are there any rules regarding stalling out the clock or sudden death? For instance, flying back and forth under the stage as villager.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, no rules on mechanics abuse within the game.

And yes, all qualifiers are FFA.

trilok

Smash Apprentice
That probably won't happen, even with items on there's always a distinction between scrubs and genuinely good players. My question however is are items going to be on High? That would get me worried.
theres only off and on item selections. items arent too much of a hindrance imo, like, its low enough that the best player would probably still win given enough a skill gap

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
theres only off and on item selections. items arent too much of a hindrance imo, like, its low enough that the best player would probably still win given enough a skill gap
There's no High, medium, low setting of item spawning like in previous games? Thats what I'm asking, if it's on medium or low then it shouldn't change anything, cuz west coast rules in early melee years had items on for the longest time, and ken was still undefeated

smashmachine

Smash Lord
items make it so that the chances of any one top-level player getting through drops, but put enough of them there and one of them will inevitably find themselves on top (see SDCC)

trilok

Smash Apprentice
There's no High, medium, low setting of item spawning like in previous games? Thats what I'm asking, if it's on medium or low then it shouldn't change anything, cuz west coast rules in early melee years had items on for the longest time, and ken was still undefeated
theres no setting of item frequency in the game, only off and on. Imo, though i dont have much experience with items, it seems to be around medium or low, closer to medium of past games. theres also restrictions on what can be out at the same time.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
It's awesome they are doing this, definitely a step in the right direction.

But with FFA and items I'll pass :)

Good luck to all who are participating!

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I like this ruleset. It's the right blend of what everyone likes. You have to be really well rounded and adaptable to get anywhere.

theta64

Smash Cadet
btw. is there any rules regarding japanese 3ds? thats all i have at the moment with the game

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
For the qualifier, I would be fine with: FFA, 2-3 Stocks, 6 minutes, no items.

I don't like score matches because someone can get "your" kill that you have been working on and someone else just comes up and steals it.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
For the qualifier, I would be fine with: FFA, 2-3 Stocks, 6 minutes, no items.

I don't like score matches because someone can get "your" kill that you have been working on and someone else just comes up and steals it.
The reasoning behind Score matches is that in FFA, you have to play a little cat & mouse. It's not as simple as "everyone gang up on the best player" because that puts all but one player behind. Instead, and in addition to greatly increased stage awareness, you need score awareness. Sometimes you might need to save someone from the score leader to prevent them from pulling away. Sometimes you might want to make it easier for a certain player to KO you. You have to THINK. That's what makes it interesting and better than stock for FFA.

Edit: and shame on you for have no tolerance for items. They are part of the game. "Adapt", as people around here like to say.

Last edited:

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
The reasoning behind Score matches is that in FFA, you have to play a little cat & mouse. It's not as simple as "everyone gang up on the best player" because that puts all but one player behind. Instead, and in addition to greatly increased stage awareness, you need score awareness. Sometimes you might need to save someone from the score leader to prevent them from pulling away. Sometimes you might want to make it easier for a certain player to KO you. You have to THINK. That's what makes it interesting and better than stock for FFA.

Edit: and shame on you for have no tolerance for items. They are part of the game. "Adapt", as people around here like to say.
"Shame on [me]"??????? I would say 99% of people on smash boards would say that items have no place in tourneys. And no I will not adapt to something that only this one tourney will have. lol

Top Bottom