• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nata Otoshi Geri, the awkward yet godlike special (Ken)

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
To start, I absolutely love how much attention to detail Ken got in Ultimate, I mean they gave him his friggin Crazy Kicks. Never played much SSF2, but I'm glad they're here. However, this does mean that NOG is a Quater Circle Down input, which I absolutely hate since it overlaps with DP. Anyways, NOG seems to be an extremely good combo filler, and it's a special, meaning it can be cancelled from an assortment of his grounded moves(Jab 1, Jab 2, light S Tilt, Either U Tilt, and either D Tilt). In certain situations, you can link hard D Tilt(6f startup) and even D Smash (5f startup). Take into account that Ken's Jab is 3f startup, and you have a pretty good way to rack up 30-40% quickly. So far, I've been doing Jab xx Jab xx NOG -> hD Tilt xx H Tatsu which does 28.1%, can lead to a throw reset, and be started until they're around 35%, but if you want more damage and horizontal knockback, you can trade everything after NOG for an uncharged D Smash, which does 34.8% and works till around 60%. Just keep in mind that you D Smash timing will become more strict at higher percents. From what I've tested so far, NOG stops linking to D Smash at 65%, but still leaves Ken with good frame advantage, so it doesn't become useless. When you need to start killing, you can always go for Jab xx Jab xx H Shoryu.

Haven't made a post in awhile and figured it'd be fun to dump some lab work here, so have fun with this confirm out of a mashed jab. And if you find any more uses for the NOG, feel free to leave em here.

Last edited:

BigPony

Smash Rookie
I seem to have a problem linking anything out of "jab XX jab XX. Whenever I throw in the input after jab Jab and press A I just throw out a third jab sending them flying horizontally. Is there something I'm doing wrong ?

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Normally, after the second jab, I pause to do the input and then press the button once its fully completed. You absolutely sure you're doing the input right? It's Forwards -> Downforwards -> Down. Alot of people using fighting game motions for the first time tend to press the button to early, so my only guess is you're pressing A at Downforwards instead of Down.

BigPony

Smash Rookie
Yeah. i think my issue is here is that I'm trying to mash the input out too quick. If leave a little pause (like you said) THEN the input. it works much better. Thanks !

Top Bottom