• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nana's throws occasionally have more freedom (like Brawl)

Drugfreechu

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry if this has already been posted. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody knows about this, due to the lack of ICs mains.

When grabbing with Ice Climbers in Brawl, the player could choose which way they wanted Nana to throw. In PM, they made it more like Melee, where Nana throws based on where she is. When by the ledge, she throws toward the ledge. When not close to the ledge, she up throws. Anyways, the about the glitch...

Sometimes, when Nana grabs out of Popo's grab (ledge handoffs), she will not throw automatically. Instead, she will wait for you to make an input before throwing. You can only make her up throw or down throw, though. If you don't tell her to do anything for a few seconds, she will either let go, or sometimes still throw based on where she is. The part that makes this a glitch is the part with having more "freedom" for Nana's throws, which wasn't intended. In my opinion, this can actually be useful (I have made use of this glitch several times).

About replicating this glitch, it seems to only happen during ledge handoffs, which are sort of difficult. Since it only happens sometimes, and I don't know exactly what makes it happen, it would be even harder for non-IC mains to replicate. I can't use my capture card now, so sorry. :ohwell: If you really want to try, do it against Pikachu (Pika is the easiest to handoff imo). If not, we need Hylian or someone to try replicating this.

Like I said before, this glitch can be useful, so I wouldn't mind keeping it in, being an Ice Climbers main. Non-IC mains probably are against keeping it in, though, especially since it's a glitch...

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
I can add some insight. I was finding this as well and tried replicating it.

It seems like there's a small window where you can control Nana. If you input a direction as you regrab with her, she'll throw that way regardless of where you are on stage. I'm pretty sure it's a 1-frame window and handoffs are already hard with the tough throw release points but they'll be fixed in 3.5.

As far as causing her to stand still, it's happened to be a few times but there's actually a way to force it. If you crouch as she regrabs and hold the crouch, she'll stand there. You can then move forward or up and she'll throw, but I've yet to figure out how to get her to Dthrow because when you let go of crouch she'll do her normal direction throw, and Cstick causes Popo to Dsmash and opponent flies out of grab.

I'm not sure what exactly causes Nana to hold on when you're not crouching. I've got an idea or two involving holding the shield button but I'm leaving ICs for 3.5 when they have their new release points to work on grab timing stuff.

Hope I help you out a bit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom