• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Name one thing you like & one thing you dislike in every Pokemon generation you experienced.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Just as the title suggests, name one thing you like and one thing you dislike from every generation of Pokemon you've experienced. Here's mine as an example:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generation 1:

Like: Learning your rival became the champion was a pretty cool concept at the time.

Dislike: Mostly forgettable Pokemon designs minus a few (IMO).

Generation 2:

Like: Awesome postgame where you get to explore an entire region after you beat the Elite Four.

Dislike: The wild Pokemon were too under leveled pretty often.

Generation 3:

Like: Hoenn has the best soundtrack in the series (IMO).

Dislike: WAY too much surfing.

Generation 4:

Like: The Underground was an incredibly fun feature, where you can build secret bases, play capture the flag with friends, and dig out items through the mining feature.

Dislike: Diamond and Pearl battle and surfing speeds were pretty slow (at least Platinum fixed that).

Generation 5:

Like: Really great story with memorable characters such as N and Cheren.

Dislike: Easily has the worst season of the anime by far. Ash was reverted back to his foolish self, most characters were annoying, and they poorly adapted Team Plasma.

Generation 6:

Like: XY/XY&Z was the best season of the anime. Ash was at his most mature to the point he felt like he aged, there were lots of likable characters, amazing animation, and it has the best villainous team arc (Team Flare, in general, was far better depicted in the anime than they were in the games).

Dislike: X/Y was really lacking in the postgame department.

Generation 7:

Like: S/M is up there with generation 5 for having one of the best stories of any main series Pokemon, with plenty of great characters such as Lillie, Guzma, Lusamine, Acerola, Nanu, etc.

Dislike: The fishing mechanic was ruined.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few additional notes to keep in mind when typing your answer:
  • If you're having a hard time thinking of something you like or dislike from a generation, try to think of a single or multiple Pokemon from that generation. I'm sure that you had at least one or a few Pokemon that you really liked in your least favorite generation. Likewise, I'm sure that you had at least one or a few Pokemon that you didn't like in your favorite generation.
  • You are not limited to thinking of only what happened in the main series games. You are also open to think about anything that happened in the generation. What I mean include a few examples:
    • Perhaps you really liked/dislike an anime season during that generation
    • Perhaps you played the TCG during that generation, and you thought the TCG competitive meta at that time was good/bad.
    • Perhaps you played some Pokemon spinoffs during that generation, and you thought the spinoff lineup at the time was good/bad.

Last edited:
Gen 1:
Like: Several of my favorite Pokemon were introduced during this gen.
Dislike: Some in-game sprites were really ugly.

Gen 2
Like: Introduced a lot of cool evolutions to existing Pokemon.
Dislike: Introduced Baby Pokemon, which was quite pointless, imo.

Gen 3
Like: Introduced Double Battles and Abilities.
Dislike: Too much surfing.

Gen 4
Like: Had probably the best Pokemon designs overall.
Dislike: Slow gameplay.

Gen 5
Like: It has so many... let's say infinite TMs.
Dislike: "Do you want me to explain this thing to you"
Yes or No
"No"
"Well, I explain it anyway"

Gen 6
Like: Mega Evolutions (although they could've given more of them to weaker Pokemon)
Dislike: Postgame was lacking.

Gen 7
Like: HMS ARE GONE!!! And the replacement was brilliant.
Dislike: Fishing is tedious and frustrating....

A Very Nice Dishwasher

Smash Apprentice
Gen 1
Like: Your rival becoming the champion was a nice twist.
Dislike: Basically everything else, but most of all the ridiculous amount of glitches.

Gen 2
Like: The overall length of the game was great. The amount of postgame content, especially in the remakes, was massive.
Dislike: The terrible level curve, especially in HGSS.

Gen 3
Like: The introduction of abilities and the fixes to the many glitches that plagued Red and Blue.
Dislike: The amount of surfing in Hoenn (insert IGN joke here).

Gen 4
Like: It was the generation that got me into Pokémon. The Physical/Special split was also great.
Dislike: Battles were very slow. It also introduced Lopunny, my least favorite Pokémon.

Gen 5
Like: The animated sprites which gave the Pokémon a lot more personality than before (and quite possibly more personality than the 3D models in Gen 6).
Dislike: It introduced Volt Switch, which made one certain Gym Leader a massive pain to beat.

Gen 6
Like: The transition to 3D was nice. Mega Evolution is also great.
Dislike: The Exp Share made the games way too easy.

Gen 7
Like: NO MORE HMS
Dislike: Festival Plaza is so stupid and gimmicky like just let me trade and battle with people without going into this dumb place that could easily have been separated from WHAT IS A BASIC FUNCTION OF POKÉMON GAMES IT'S SO STUPID

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Gen 1
Like: Pure nostalgia, I could play this even to this day. Other gens I couldn't say the same. Despite the issues, and actually especially with some of the issues.
Dislike: Lack of moves. This gen has a severe lack of moves. I don't even mind that this gen was before the attack/ special split as you can get diverse movepools for some pokemon. Some. Added with the fact there are no reliable moves that are super effective against psychic types, and special being a stat that determines special defense AND special attack. The only other gen I could play for nostalgia alone fixes these problems though, gen 2. If they released gen 1 again with the gen 2 improvements and pokemon, I'd actually play it. There are also some iffy designs in gen 1.

Gen 2
Like: Has that old school feel, but also fixes a lot of the problems I had with gen 1. Also, the pokemon have some unique designs that compliment gen 1. I wish this gen was available in the eshop. Added breeding and items that I still use to this day.
Dislike: Although the new pokemon compliment gen 1, there are a lot of lackluster pokemon that I don't use outside of gen 1. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as it gives the pokemon of this gen a unique place.

Gen 3
Like: It's got some pokemon I like
Dislike: I'm not really a fan of gen 3. I found it more of an awkward transitional period in pokemon history. Unlike the old school graphics of Gen 1 and 2, I don't really find gen 3 charming, it just looks outdated. Gen 3 also added natures, which I find one of the most frustrating parts of pokemon. Nothing like finally running into that rare pokemon only for it to have a bad nature. It's not like I hate natures altogether, it can add some unique strategy to pokemon. But I find it very frustrating, and combined with some other issues I had with gen 3 it just accentuates that. Also this is the gen that introduced the current IV system, which made it so that on a genetic level, certain pokemon WERE inferior to each other. Now, with breeding it's always fun to breed a perfect pokemon, but this process was extremely frustrating in past gens AND made it so you couldn't just capture and raise any old pokemon, even if happened to have the right nature. Nature + IV's are an extremely frustrating thing.

Gen 4
Like: I have a lot of nostalgia for this gen because it's when I "got back into pokemon". It came out shortly after I graduated from Highschool. I honestly didn't even know a new pokemon game was coming out, but I just happened to walk into a gamestop and they had displays up for Diamond and Pearl, so I bought Diamond. Turns out, that was the VERY FIRST DAY it was released, lol. Physical special split allowed certain pokemon to use moves that they wouldn't have been able to use otherwise thanks to natures. This should have been added with natures in the first place. In gen 1, for example, a Blastoise could use Earthquake in it's moveset because it's attack and special are the same. Starting from gen 3, Blastoise used a (recommended) nature that decreased its physical attack. Suddenly giving it physical moves was useless, and made it so half of the elements were useless to him. This fixed it! This generation also has my favorite game in the series, heartgold and soulsilver...which I continued to play into generation 5 and have additional fond memories of bringing that game on the bus to college, before I had a car. I also found many of the "apps" you could use with the touchscreen to be useful, if not primitive. I also liked how there was daily events and it gave me something to do this gen every day. I also have some good memories of taking this with me to Seattle and playing it in a bar while drinking with friends after going to an anime convention.
Dislike: I never really noticed the supposed "Slow combat" but until Platinum fixed it, moving around in diamond and pearl is SO SLOW, especially surfing. With all the changes after this generation, I don't see myself going back to play diamond, pearl or platinum. But I could probably go back and play Heartgold and Soulsilver.

Gen 5
Like: Has a massive amount of pokemon I like. Reintroduced me to my like of Ampharos. I was super excited when I found out that Black and White 2 had Mareep you could capture and that reminded me how much I liked the pokemon and has since remained as my second favorite pokemon (I also used an ampharos in heartgold and soulsilver but it was my excitement from using it in this gen too that really pushed it)
Dislike: I found this generation to be another example of an awkward transition. This game was on the same system as gen 4. But honestly, there isn't a lot I dislike from this gen. It's just the horrible experience I had with it picking Serperior and having no real love for any of the starters. It's the only gen where I eventually just dumped my starter and created a team from other pokemon. And only then did I start to enjoy it. However, I ended up just going back to gen 4 and playing Heartgold instead. I have no hate for this gen, but I also have no real love. Also, I was upset they dropped the "apps" from gen 4 as I found a lot of them useful. Also I liked competitive gen 4 better than competitive gen 5 because there was an obvious massive power gap between new and old pokemon at this point.

Gen 6
Like: Added a new typing and a lot of pokemon I really liked. Have fond memories of barely being able to buy this game the day before going on vacation in Hawaii and playing it on the airplane to calm my nerves and all throughout Hawaii. I set my location in my 3DS to Hawaii before I went and that's how I ended up with Vivillon from there instead of the boring ones that I would have gotten otherwise. Without realizing it would do that. TBH I can't really think of this gen without specifically focusing on events from that vacation. Adding trainer customization was a really good choice for pokemon and I hope it continues onto future gens. There are some awesome mega pokemon
Dislike: It wasn't a problem for me at the time, but comparing the graphics of gen 6 and gen 7, gen 6's graphics aged horribly. Even with just a couple years difference between the gens. Much closer than any other gen. Also, not very many pokemon added was disappointing.

Gen 7
Like: Has tons of pokemon I really like, definitely are going to be some of my favorites from this gen on. Araquanid, Buzzwole, Golisopod, Alolan Muk, etc. I really like the massive upgrade in graphics for this game compared to gen 6, to the point where I can't really go back to gen 6 without thinking the graphics are so dated.
Dislike: Not very many pokemon added. Alolan forms seems like a wasted idea as there aren't really that many. Didn't add new mega pokemon even though fans were really excited every time they had a new mega. Didn't add fossil pokemon.

It's easier to think of likes and dislikes in retrospect for gens 1-6 than gen 7 as it's the current gen. I'll probably have a better idea in the future, especially after gen 8

Edit: LOL, it was "Name ONE thing". I named EVERYTHING I could think of

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Gen 1

+ Nostalgia, Music, Simplicity, Starters,
- Kanto hasn't aged well, glitches, Pokemon Selection,

Gen 2

+ Nostalgia, Music, Length, Held Items, Shiny Pokemon, Dark/Steel Types,
- Kanto was kind of barren, Pokemon Selection, Roaming Pokemon,

Gen 3

+ Hoenn was diverse, Pokemon Selection, Music, Secret Bases, Running, Emerald Cloning,
- Kanto still hasn't aged well, lack of past Gen connectivity, Graphics haven't aged as well, Emerald killed R/S

Gen 4

+ HG/SS are arguably the best games in the series, Pokemon Selection, Wi-Fi, Music, PokeWalker, Series Lore, Difficulty, Cynthia,
- D/P are pointless now given Platinum, Loading Times & Overall Speed, Stealth Rocks,

Gen 5

+ Story & Characters, Amazing Sprite Work, Shiny Charm, Hidden Abilities, Hard Mode,
- Starters, Didn't do much in the grand scheme of things, Easy Mode unlocking nonsense,

Gen 6

+ OR/AS are arguably the best games in the series, ORAS's OST!, Mega Evolutions, Streamlined Raising Pokemon, Customization, 3D Graphics, Pokemon Selection, PokeBank, Fairy Types, Online Distributions,
- Mega Evolutions, Story & Characters, X/Y was too easy, Alternate Dimensions nonsense, Mega Rayquaza WTF,

Gen 7

+ Graphics upgrade, Pokemon Selection, Difficulty, HMs revamped, Lillie & Nebby,
- Removed Streamlined Features for the sake of "new," Alola not terribly interesting, Alolan forms are mostly miss, Zygarde sidequest, No new Mega Evolutions, More Alternate Dimensions nonsense, Story/Characters are hit/miss, Rotom Dex, No National Dex,

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Had trouble thinking of one thing for each Gen, so I just listed most of my overall complaints.

--------------------

Gen 1:

Like:
- Started the series.
Dislike:
- Glitches and had a lot of minor faults that were fixed later on.

Gen 2:
Like:
- Kanto region which offered a fair amount of post-game content.
Dislike:
- Kanto was sort of empty aside from the gym leaders.

Gen 3:
Like:
- Fixed most of the problems from the previous games.
- Contests, bases, etc.
Dislike:
- Too many HMs/surfing.
- Can't transfer Pokemon from past games.

Gen 4:
Like:
- Touch-screen and Wi-Fi support.
- HG/SS are easily the best games in the series.
- Underground bases.
- I really liked Sinnoh's layout and can't wait for Gen 4 remakes.
Dislike:
- Gameplay in general is incredibly slow.

Gen 5:
Like:
- Not being able to obtain non-Unovan Pokemon until after you beat the game. I know some people hated this, but I feel like it made players appreciate the new Pokemon.
- Best story in the series.
Dislike:
- The layout of Unova feels like you're following a straight path. B2/W2 sort of fixed this but not by a lot.
- Bests Wishes was just bad.

Gen 6:
Like:
- Great to see all of the Pokemon in 3D.
- Minor features like Pokemon amie and friend safaris.
- Mega evolution is cool, though I personally would have preferred if they just made them regular evolution. Still good to have since they can make some weaker Pokemon much stronger.
- Player Search System was great, wish they kept it in S/M.
- X/Y anime was pretty good.
Dislike:
- Too much Gen 1 pandering in X/Y (Kanto starters early in the game, first forest is a copy of Viridian forest).
- Most of the Kalos Pokemon are pretty forgettable.
- Non-existent post-game.
- Team Flare are the worst villains in the series.
- X/Y's soundtrack is probably the worst in the series (that gym leader theme... *shutters*). Thankfully ORAS's was much better.
- Overall X/Y's characters and areas are pretty forgettable. Only gym leaders I even remember are Korrina and Clemont (I only remember Clemont because of his anime appearance). The only city I can think of off the top of my head is Lumiose City. Also, WHY IS ROUTE 1 JUST A STRAIGHT PATH!?!?!?!?

Gen 7:
Like:
- Alolan forms.
- Refreshing new villains.
- Nice new twists to the series (trials, champion rematches).
- No more HMs.
Dislike:
- No national dex.
- Fishing is just terrible.
- Tons of handholding at the start of the game.

--------------------

My personal Gen ranking:

4 > 5 > 3 = 7 > 2 = 1 > 6

Last edited:

SS4E

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna steal ---'s format cause I'm a creativeless hack

Gen 1

+ It was literally the first game, spawned Pokemon to begin with. Gets extra points for being the kickstarter of all this amazingness. Also the anime theme is great.
- it..... really hasn't aged well

Gen 2

+ Had the best lineup of starters of any pokemon game ever imo. I still love each and every one of them X3
- IT TOOK ME SO LONG TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO REGISTER MY POKEMON TEAMS IN STADIUM. I WAS A LITTLE KID OK. *ded*

Gen 3

+ Hoenn was indeed incredibly diverse, still my favorite gen as far as pokemon designs go. It also gave me Latios & Latias, as well as the seasons of the anime that I first got hooked on and pulled me into being a pokenerd ;P Pokemon Colosseum & Mystery Dungeon Blue will forever be my favorite pokemon games. Also Miror B is legend.
- It was bloody hard to catch Latias. There WAS a lot of surfing.

Gen 4

+ First main series pokemon game I ever got (since apparently Colosseum & PMD don't count :p). Love the Underground, most pokemon designs are great, and the story is actually pretty darn interesting.
- No Miror B. This was the gen where I really started to notice how drawn out and long everything was, every command takes ages to get done. YES, I DON'T WANT TO LEARN BULLET SEED, STOP ASKING ME IF I'M SURE. It's really hard to come back to this game after playing the new ones, and that can apply to the other older games too :p

Gen 5

+ Had some really interesting ideas & characters. N is just great. A number of the pokemon from this Gen have also grown on me despite it being around the time I moved on from my obsession.
- No Miror B. Most of the new pokemon I never took that much of a liking to. The anime tried so hard to be bigger and more epic with team rocket, but HO BOY the writing for the three main characters was so bad, and the acting made it twice as annoying XP At least in the english dub =P Also no Team Rocket Wobbuffet = no passing score from me.

Gen 6

+ OR/AS are incredible. loved a good chunk of the new pokemon, Mega Evolution is pretty awesome, and OMAHGURSH 3D GRAPHICS. I loved how this game dared to change the formula up even a little bit. The Anime suddenly became spectacular again, and the music was so gooooood (loved that they brought back the old theme ;3). Also flying around on my Latios in OR is the greatest feeling. I always wanted something like that since I first used a Fly HM in Pearl. ouo
- No Miror B. Mega Evolution needed to have some kind of downside or risk to it, the strategy options aren't really that numerous when it's just a choice of "should I make my pokemon more powerful or not... HMMMMM". never played X&Y tho' so I can't speak on behalf of that.

Gen 7

+ Love the graphics, love the formula change-up, most of the pokemon in this region look absolutely great (POPPLIO MY DARLING), and the alolan forms were a nice addition =) The writing in-game seemed to have a level of self-awareness that I haven't seen in a Pokemon game before, and it was often hilarious fun. No more HMs, woot!
- Still no Miror B. The larger models made the world seem a LOT smaller. I never felt so much like I was going on a grand adventure as I felt like I was walking down the street to my friend's house to catch a pokemon. A lot of good stuff was changed just for the sake of change, those Z-moves or whatever are........ bleh. I never use them :p The anime art style change, while weird, never bothered me THAT much, but so far the season itself hasn't impressed me :p

Conclusion:
Miror B for Pokemon Stars & Smash 5.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Gen 1:
Like: the overall realism of it. It doesn't feel too different from actual society, just insert pokemon instead of animals.
Dislike: Need I even say it? The mechanics were pretty garbage this gen

Gen 2:
sorry never played gen 2 :p

Gen 3:
Like: the new pokemon this gen were awesome! They nailed designs out of the park!
Dislike: the amount of time it took to travel through routes (especially water routes) because of random encounters was way too high

Gen 4:
Like: I loved the region here. Sinnoh is the best designed region IMO.
Dislike: Other than the starters and route 1 pokemon, very few pokemon were really memorable to me, even the added evolutions. However they nailed the starters and route 1 pokemon.

Gen 5:
Like: best story. They really took a risk here, and it wasn't your typical pokemon plot line. This is the only gen where I was actually driven more by progressing the story than by my desire to become champion.
Dislike: This gen hasn't aged well. The graphics look kinda akward now and playing through it again isn't as fun. The fact that you could only catch new pokemon until the post game was great for the first playthrough, but not so great after that. I love this gen, but I don't see myself coming back to it often.

Gen 6:
Like: Music. Oh god the music this gen was ON POINT. Every track, fully orchestrated and engineered to perfection! Honestly KISEKI by itself gave this gen a huge music boost, but there is honestly no weak link in its soundtrack.
Dislike: This gen took away focus from the pokemon themselves. There were very few new pokemon, and many were forgettable and poorly designed for battle. Sure mega evolutions happened, but otherwise it seemed like the gen focused much more on the people rather than the creatures, and I didn't even like the people this gen that much! There is no substitute for pokemon in pokemon games.

Gen 7:
Like: Well, you know how I said Gen 6 focused too much on people I didn't like? Well this gen had great focus on pokemon, AND was still attentive enough to the human characters to make them super fleshed out, super memorable, super awesome, and super impactful. Almost every single named character was memorable, and that's a serious feat for a pokemon game!
Dislike: The addition of waypoints on your map kinda takes out the whole young kid on an adventure thing, in which you have one overarching goal but the path there is unclear, and makes it into a step by step recipe on how to beat the game.

Post Note:
- X/Y's soundtrack is probably the worst in the series
huh, well that's the beauty of pokemon. Two people can think literally the opposite things and neither is wrong. Funny though because I agree with almost everything else you pointed out in your post haha

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
huh, well that's the beauty of pokemon. Two people can think literally the opposite things and neither is wrong. Funny though because I agree with almost everything else you pointed out in your post haha
Do not get me wrong, X and Y has an amazing soundtrack with great tracks like route 15, Team Flare theme. I think all of the songs in the games are good, except for the gym leader theme which is easily the worst in the series (especially after we had one of the best gym themes in gen V). However, most of them aren't that memorable especially when compared to the the soundtrack from the previous games.

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Gen I

Liked: The Special Attack and Special Defence stats were one stat this gen, which actually made now weaker Pokémon have some offensive use in the generation, like Hypno and Chansey. Not to mention this is the first game in the series, so tons of nostalgia.
Disliked: Bad mechanics, glitches, and the Psychic-type being unbalanced as all hell. On top of all that, catching Legendaries was impossible if you didn't weaken them correctly.

Gen II

Liked: The introduction of Dark and Steel-types to balance out the typing strengths and weaknesses. The music was sweet and memorable, and the games probably had the best aftergame in the series; you get to revisit Kanto.
Disliked: How lower-than-average leveled the trainers and wild Pokémon were, and I kinda wished Team Rocket appeared more than just in three major points in the game.

Gen III

Liked: The fact that this gen got me hooked on the series! :awesome: Aside from that, some of my favorite legendaries come from this gen, such as Rayquaza, and they remade the original games and greatly improved on them.
Disliked: Too much water. The method of catching the Regis was rather cumbersome, and the Hoenn rival's starter never fully evolves.

Gen IV

Liked: The physical/special split got introduced, benefiting many Pokémon and helping them make use of their STAB moves even more. Some of my favorite tracks come from the games of this gen, and it also spawned HeartGold and SoulSilver, which to this day remain to be my favorite games in the main series.
Disliked: Some situations made me feel like I was trapped, for instance forcing to accept the offer of eggs handed to you before moving on in your journey and requiring to collect the Explorer Kit even though you don't really need it (unless you want to catch Spiritomb or fossil Pokémon, of course...), as well as the fact that Whitney's Miltank was a bit more of an annoyance in this gen.

Gen V

Liked: The games had the best story in my opinion. All the characters were well fleshed out, the Gym Leaders all had more roles in the games, plus the first games don't end the main story with you beating the champion!
Disliked: None of the old Pokémon are available in the main story of the first games, plus the ground-shaking method, while a cool way to get rare Pokémon and even fully-evolved ones, can get tedious at times when all you run into are Audino 90% of the time. Starting with this game, the Battle Frontier was omitted, which took away several fun game modes that I really enjoyed.

Gen VI

Liked: Mega Evolution and the introduction of the Fairy-type to help counterbalance some powerful Pokémon. The Hoenn remakes were the biggest plus to this generation due to the fleshed-out story of the games and having access to many legendaries.
Disliked: Mega Evolution pampered to Gen 1 a bit too much, and while they made previously unviable Pokémon much better (Mega Beedrill bois), it gave unnecessary boosts to already great Pokémon, like Tyranitar and Gengar. X and Y, sad to say, were laughably easy, especially with the Exp. Share turned on, and there was a huge lack of an aftergame in said games.

Gen VII

Liked: The games changed how Pokémon properly functioned. Instead of Gyms, we had fun Island Trials, and the soundtrack was on point in many cases. There was quite a bit of a challenge in these games as well, which was a great benefit coming in from Gen 6.
Disliked: No National Dex, all the Mega Stones aren't available for you aside from special events, and the method of SOS Chaining to get hidden abilities is way too tedious for my liking.

Last edited:

InsaneAlchemist

Smash Cadet
Gen IV
+The underground, Wi-Fi Plaza, and the Contest Hall were all absolutely fun.
-It was fairly slow-paced, even after Platinum fixed the speed issues with battling and surfing.

Gen V
+Good story, and some of the best OST I've ever heard.
-Throw this leveling system into a fire please. It's way too slow, and it gets where you're overleveled for the wild Pokemon and underleveled for the Gym Leaders, with little rematch opportunities.

Gen VI
+Intoduced all kinds of Shiny Hunting methods and brought a lot of changes to the competitive metagame.
-Not a big fan of the XY post-game.

Gen VII
+Awesome story, no HMs, and a large variety of Pokemon to catch though you have to transfer over the rest from another game.
-The fishing is awful, I didn't see a reason to need to change it. AND THE GEN V LEVELING SYSTEM RETURNS.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Generation I
Like: Simply put, it's the generation that started it all.
Dislike: I never cared much for the PC interface.

Generation II
Like: Access to two regions.
Dislike: How there was Gen II Pokemon that couldn't be found in Johto, only Kanto.

Generation III
Like: By far the best soundtrack in all of Pokemon.
Dislike: A bit overly dependent on HMs

Generation IV
Like: Lots of new evolutions for pre-existing Pokemon.
Dislike: The game felt kinda slow all-around.

Generation V
Like: How the available Pokemon in Black and White were exclusively from Gen V until you beat the game.
Dislike: Would've preferred a Pokemon Grey version, rather than Black & White 2.

Generation VI

Like: Added and improved a lot with the series in general.
Dislike: The game felt so short, and the end-game felt almost nonexistent.

Generation VII
Like: Changed up the formula in a way that not only suited the region, but worked.
Dislike: I felt that there were way too many tutorials and cutscenes, which interrupted gameplay way too much.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Gen 1:
Like: Nostalgia, I feel like there are a lot of good things in Gen 1, but admittedly the most important of all for me is the nostalgia surrounding it.
Dislike: All the small inefficient things, like the bag, the PC, or that you can't press A to use HMs. Menus basically.

Gen 2:

Like: Amazing post-game content with Kanto and Mt. Silver.
Dislike: Reusing Team Rocket didn't work very well, they didn't feel like a proper threat and the conclusion with some random admin was super anti-climatic.

Gen 3:

Like: Probably the best overall generation when it comes to Pokémon designs, there are so few Pokémon which I actually dislike.
Dislike: The path you have to take to get through Hoenn is poorly planned and doesn't flow at all, backtracking done wrong.

Gen 4:

Like: The physical and special split is by far the best thing to come out of it.
Dislike: There are so many problems I'm not even sure which one to pick out. Since everybody's already saying the slow gameplay I'm gonna go with the extreme over-reliance on HMs.

Gen 5:

Like: Follows through with its very strong narrative from beginning until the end, it's the first proper story in a Pokémon game imo.
Dislike: The sequels were far weaker than the first games imo, the only thing they did better was the post-game.

Gen 6:

Like: The amount of Pokémon you could catch during the main story was staggering, you could make almost any team you'd want to.
Dislike: It felt very tired as it followed the typical formular step by step, was afraid of taking any risks.

Gen 7:

Like: Very unconventional, tries a lot of new things to divert from the usual formular and most of them work very well.
Dislike: Only really gets interesting around the 3rd island, before that the game is a bit of a drag.

Last edited:
Top Bottom