• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Name entry glitch: Masterhand without AR!

AKARed

Smash Apprentice
Someone needs to try this on brawl too. I mean, it's not going to work (figuratively; the chances of this being in brawl as well are probably extremely low, but I really can't say anything for a fact), but someone should still try it.
I'll try when I get home tomorrow.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well, whenever I put the first controller for the Back option and had the second controller for the Name Entry, it'd take me to the stages. However, it'd just freeze. I decided to go ahead and put a third controller in. Well, I left out the second player and got it to work. However, I could not use Master Hand. :/ Lame. I mean this is a great find, but moo.

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
How about Masterhand only tournaments? lol

Very interesting glitch, it's interesting to see how they intended to program the game.
Is it possible to play multiple Masterhands in a team battle?

I'm already amazed at how the game doesn't freeze with multiple Masterhands although I don't really know about that. I once possessed an AR and I think it froze when there were more than 1 Masterhand at once.

I'd like to know how the game reacts when it has to assign colors to the Masterhands in a team battle.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I've decided that if I ever go crazy and decide to use MH in tourney (he's isn't banned yet!), I'm going to use Mute City as my counterpick. He's awesome there, lol.

Also, down L is hilarious on some of the moving stages.

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
plz guy find some texture hacks or at least some way to add custom color pallets to characters. You would be godly if you did that.(master hand glitch is pretty sweet)
stack smash did a melee texture hack with mewtwo

at the end of every melee final there should be a MH ditto between the winner and the runner up

Tamoo

Smash Master
I am actually amazed that this works!
I think everybody dreamed of finding glitches like this when we were younger
Unfortunately, he's not as broken as I thought he'd be lol

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me, or did this single find reignite the melee community almost instantaneously? I'm seeing 50+ viewing right now.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I've got version 1.2

And this really does change alot. Now there will be new **** to screw around with and there's ways to legitimately record single character vids with no AR. I wonder if there's other glitches like this that we haven't found, maybe a way to play as other normally unplayable characters.

Browny

Smash Hater
So master hand is a playable boss character unlockable via button presses.

Sounds like Akuma?

Does this mean he should qualify for a place on the melee tier list? I dont really see why not...

metaXzero

Smash Champion
So master hand is a playable boss character unlockable via button presses.

Sounds like Akuma?

Does this mean he should qualify for a place on the melee tier list? I dont really see why not...
He can only be defeated in Stamina. Unless we put some percentage where he is considered defeated, it won't make sense for him to be in tourneys.

Though it'd be lulzy to see Master Hand mains in action.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Has anybody tried this on one player mode? I need some tutorials on that. I can't seem to understand what the original poster is saying when he says that you need to press A + B, release A and then all that other stuff. That's too confusing. I got the second one down, but now I want to test him out in one player mode.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Some general Master Hand behavior stuff...

Master Hand is never put in your top 5 rankings even if he would qualify otherwise. I got him so he would be top 5 in damage taken and lost coins, and the game didn't care.

If multiple buttons are held before performing a move, this is the order of priority:

L > R > A > B > Z

Master Hand has no alternate colors ever. No matter if there's more than one of him or if he's on a team, he's always the exact same white glove.

Master Hand occasionally does a quick grab while idling. This is just an idle animation and is not an attack (think like how Peach stretches sometimes).

For the completely unaware, Master Hand cannot move other than while doing an attack which follows a preset targeting algorithm. If you don't attack, he just hovers on the right side of the stage.

Whether he performs a single shot or a triple shot with his gun move (B + dpad right) depends on the damage he has taken. I am pretty sure the cut-off point is taking 150% or more damage (not sure how 150% exactly behaves). The gun shot can be absorbed and reflected, unlike all of his other moves.

Master Hand can have a nametag if you select one before performing the name glitch. It is kinda out in space during his intro animation though, kinda odd.

You can move freely during his intro animation with the other players and fight other characters. Moving stages continue to move as well, which is extremely broken on Icicle Mountain. If you pause during this animation, however, the camera will be normal after you unpause even as the animation finishes.

His laser move has extremely poorly behaved hitboxes on stages other than Final Destination. Frequently, the other players simply pass right through them. On the plus side, they cannot be absorbed or reflected.

Always being in the air, he is unaffected by Jigglypuff's Sing and damaged by Mewtwo's Disable. He's obviously immune to all grab style moves.

He can be pushed back by the wind on Dreamland and Green Greens, but he'll simply teleport back to his normal position a bit later. Otherwise, no stage features, including solid ground, affect his movement. He automatically keeps up with moving stages. Yes, he has a reflection on Fountain of Dreams and seems to be flattened by Flat Zone (kinda hard to tell). The monitor on Pokemon Stadium reports his name as "Masterhand".

His drill (R + dpad up) and Charged Punch (R + dpad right) will always target the same spot on the left side of the stage on many stages (or varies a bit over a very small area like on FoD or Pokemon Stadium) and the lowest controller port surviving player (as in player 1) otherwise. His poke (R + dpad left) and grab (Z + dpad up or dpad right) will target the lowest controller port surviving player (as in player 1). I'm not sure if players being his teammates changes his targeting algorithms. The drill and charged punch target correctly (variable over a big area) on the following stages:

Battlefield, Final Destination, Jungle Japes (can only hit on main platform), Yoshi's Story (doesn't really aim very well, moves while doing drill very awesome), Yoshi's Island (Melee, targets over a very wide area), Venom (targets left side only), Mute City (over the moving platform's general area), Mushroom Kingdom I (only targets the part of the stage left of the leftmost pit), Mushroom Kingdom II (it's like Yoshi's Story with a million times suckier targeting, almost never hits)

Master Hand is unaffected by stale move damage decay.

On a few stages, he rests inside of the stage or otherwise in a really inaccessible position. These stages are Princess Peach's Castle in which he's inside the castle and Corneria in which he's ridiculously low. In both cases, he can still come up with some of his attacks.

In terms of being effective, his best stage is probably Mute City, and he's very bad on Brinstar Depths, Big Blue, and Temple (among other stages).

If anyone has good pictures of the stages, it would be pretty easy to demonstrate on each his position by default and where his various moves hit.

I'm using him on a NTSC 1.0, and I've simply never seen the game lock with him other than when winning a match (I must have loaded about 50 matches with him). Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe this version is more crashproof than later versions.

I want to repeat that no additional rules are needed for him to be used competitively other than something about how a ditto doesn't work. He can just lose to time, and if the other player is good at all, he always will.

This is all I have for now.

Tham

Smash Apprentice
anyone tried MH on rainbow cruise or icicle mountain - my PAL version crashes every time i try this :/
maybe MH will escape from the screen on these stages ... dunno^^
Amazing Ampharos - you could try plz C: ?

TerenceLau

Smash Ace
hey guys. i have followed method one from the original post and i only got the hand on p3 to jump a little above the name entry box, then the game was back to the game selection page. did any of you guys encounter similar problems?

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Playing with three hands is way to fun. They target themselves with alot of their attacks, but the gun shot always desyncs one of them, so if you time it right you can make on hand fly across the stage and have the other ones target him lol

REVOLUTION324

Smash Rookie
hey guys. i have followed method one from the original post and i only got the hand on p3 to jump a little above the name entry box, then the game was back to the game selection page. did any of you guys encounter similar problems?
Sry,but I can´t explain it better,my english is too bad -.-
Could anybody write a better description?
Then i will add it to my first post.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
This is a pretty good way to practicing pillaring with falco. Though the lag is hitlag and shieldstun.
edit: the insignia they use for master hand in the no contest screen is the triforce.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Lol, the Finger Walk spikes a little diagonally if you get hit by the upper part of the hand.

Also, the Grab move on Peach Castle is broken xD.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Also, for whoever asked; this glitch doesn't work in Brawl. The name entry doesn't actually bring you into a new screen in Brawl, it just pulls up a little cell phone text message-esque thing for entry. I tried it with the rules change button too, but no luck.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
anyone tried MH on rainbow cruise or icicle mountain - my PAL version crashes every time i try this :/
maybe MH will escape from the screen on these stages ... dunno^^
Amazing Ampharos - you could try plz C: ?
I've tried him on both stages (and every stage in fact). He loads correctly everywhere. Icicle Mountain is probably his best stage (too bad for him it's banned everywhere) since his intro animation makes it hard to avoid an early death and the blast zones are generally small and the movement might force people into his attacks. On Rainbow Cruise, he hangs out on the back of the ship, and he has the disadvantage that his drill etc. all target some place way off the left side of the screen (he does this on Poke Floats and Corneria too, note I haven't tested if he ever gets changed behavior throughout the duration of a moving stage though I strongly suspect the answer is "no"). Going off the side of the stage in general isn't a problem for him; he can't die and doesn't take off-screen damage.

I have done some experimenting with 1p modes...

He works in HRC but is super bad. His entry animation takes more than half of your time, and he has no real effective way to hit Sandbag to the right. I haven't explored it thoroughly yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were impossible for him to get a score at all.

He works in multi-man melee, but he can't get a record (it just says "complete" when you beat it with him). His drill move is really, really good in this mode. I was able to use him to unlock Falco; presumably he should be able to unlock DK64 as well (far and away the easiest method for that actually).

If you try this trick on Break the Targets, his intro laugh will play while still on the character select screen and then the game is frozen. It's hilarious.

He works fine in event mode in general (tested with All-Star Match 1), but timed events are tricky since he's so bad other than the not dying thing. Retrying an event with Z does cause his intro animation to repeat. He is capable of scoring records in this mode. The Goomba trophy stage works fine with him, and he can actually target the drill etc. over most of the stage. Likewise, the Entei stage is well behaved and lets him target a wide area with the drill. The Majora's Mask stage is well behaved too, but the drill and friends don't work well here and generally refuse to target anywhere but the left part of the stage. You do have a percent meter when fighting against Master Hand and Crazy Hand in event 50, and if it's possible to do team attack with Crazy Hand I sure can't figure out how (I suspect you have to be on the same team as him to do that though). As an aside, this would be a really easy way to earn the notice for finishing event 51 without any falls if you haven't yet.

Adventure mode is a bad idea. The game loads the first stage with you inside a large rock formation, and the game locked on me when I tried to do his punch the ground move (presumably for want of a target). Even if you avoid locking the game, there's no way you'll ever clear the first stage. Running out of time in this mode is the only way you can ever lose a stock with him though (other than share stock in teams!). I haven't managed to lose my last stock and see what happens since unfortunate items like to spawn on top of me and lock the game; it's not worth spending this much time just to see the game lock because there's no trophy for it to show (though that really is just me guessing at behavior).

The first match of All Star mode works though he has no one to target in the lobby so his moves lock the game, and he has no way of making it into the portal.

Classic locks up for me right away. I doubt it can work at all, and even if you manged to get it to start, there are obviously a lot of things that would prevent you from finishing it.

In short, Event mode and Multiman Melee are both generally worth it. HRC is technically playable but a waste of time. Don't even bother with anything else; it's not completable.

Also, about items, I notice that you're generally not able to use them but can interact with certain transforming items. The metal box and starman both work fine and as expected, but mushrooms seem to like to lock the game (once it didn't though).

About Princess Peach's Castle, a nifty trick on it is to use the grab move. He'll pull his opponent inside the stage and then throw them to instant death. No human would ever fall for it seeing as the grab is one of his easiest to avoid attacks, but it sure makes beating the AI on that stage a lot easier (important skill if you want to do event mode with him). I haven't tested it explicitly, but I bet it works on Corneria too.

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
Stamina mode vs. Master hand ftw
lol, on PS it shows Masterhand as a combatant even...

.Deep

Smash Rookie
When I heard from it on German Smash Boards I was like wtf o.o
How can it be that a glitch (or two) hasn't been discovered for seven years? And it was found on a german Website for gaming tips... LOL
What the ****?

Top Bottom