• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Name choosing

Daer

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
0033 7210 7455
Been practicing on my own and with a friend for some time now. I want to attend a tournament, but the one thing I can't think of is choosing a name. Should I just choose the one I have in mind and hope nobody else has it?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Been practicing on my own and with a friend for some time now. I want to attend a tournament, but the one thing I can't think of is choosing a name. Should I just choose the one I have in mind and hope nobody else has it?
I recommend choosing something that makes you laugh or smile, like an inside joke type thing. If you're having fun you'll play better. Mindset is everything. If you want to be great you have to learn to enjoy playing from behind. Love the challenge and have fun. Don't get shook and don't take losses badly, just laugh them off. But pay attention to your mistakes.

Last edited:

JasonKaroshi

Smash Apprentice
Some general ideas

- one word (Armada, Ally)

- something that represents you in any way, whether it be your name, character, or even playstyle (Nairo = Nairoby, Ken = Ken Hoang)

- something that makes you laugh/inside joke (Dr. PeePee)

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I would suggest something that has personal meaning for you. I agree with the other posters that a funny G-rated nickname is also cool.

C.D.B

Smash Rookie
-ACE- got it entirely right. Your mindset changes everything and so, the name has something to do with it. Mine is Champ de Bataille (the french word of Battlefield), which is an inside joke with my community. Everyone starts somewhere, thus, your name can be this small root of nostalgia that keeps you enjoying the game.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Make sure it can be intuitively pronounced. My original tag JaiCho was a mix of bits of my first and last names. Obviously isn't a word, so idk why I assumed they would pronounce it like I wanted lmao. Got annoying af. Pick wisely, but don't spend too much time and let it become a bother

I got my current tag from a friend who mispronounced JaiCho (again lel), but in a weird way. Thought 'cho' was pronounced like it is in 'echo' or 'Jericho.' God knows why anyone would think that, but echo is sick. Speaking to finding a more preferable tag in due time - lots of people just enter brackets with their first name (and an initial, if it's a common first name), so that's always an option as a placeholder. Nobody really cares about tags or changed tags too much; until you get good, tags only serve the purpose of locating players and keeping scores

Last edited:

KrispyKabbage

Smash Cadet
:seuss:Wait for it to pop into your head, that's how I got "KrispyKabbage":seuss:.

Last edited:

bboss

Smash Journeyman
I would recommend yes. Also if you don't choose that name, try to use a 1-word tag, like JasonKaroshi JasonKaroshi stated. Something catchy.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I got my tag from my days of playing quake 2 around 2001-3. There was a well known good player that used to wallhack and aimbot under the alias "Ace". His cheating was obvious but he still kept denying it. He would get people SO MAD with stupid binds like "Aced." and "Aced idiot x|-<" and simply "x|-<". Lmao, my brother and I thought it was hilarious watching people rage. So i stole his alias for smash and it honestly helped me enjoy the game.

Top Bottom