• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nair to F-Smash or Dragon Lunge on Battlefield and Dreamland

DMan64

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately I don't have video to provide an example, nor do I know if anyone else knows about this, but I'll try to explain as best as I can.

I was playing around on training mode and did a nair on the side platform of Battlefield, with Bayonetta as my opponent and it connected. From there I thought of ways I could follow up, and to my suprise, F-Smash and Tipper Dragon Lunge both worked and could KO at the right percent.

I'm not sure if people already knew about this but it is possible to link Nair to Side B or F-Smash on Battlefield, and to a lesser extent Dreamland, and net a KO from about 65%-80% depending on the character, rage, and possibly DI, though it can happen so fast that the opponent doesn't expect it.

How it works is that you do a short hop Nair on the side platforms on Battlefield and Dreamland, and time it so that when the sword goes below or slightly below Corrin the hit connects with the opponent. By that time the landing lag from the nair with be up and Corrin will have enough time to do a foward smash angle up-ward and at tipper range, or jump and get a tipper Dragon Lunge, and thus it is possible to get a KO.

Their are however limits to this.

For starters it only works on taller, or bigger characters.
Second, it may not be as effective on Dreamland because the platforms are slightly higher, thus it won't be able to hit characters that it could on Battlefield, or at least not as easily.

This is some of who I got it to work on so far on Battlefield:

Bayonetta
Cloud
Mewtwo
Marth
Roy
Ryu
Sheik
Lucina
Cpt Falcon
Shulk

I'm not sure how practical this could be in competitive play, but it is something to take note of and it could be something that helps Corrin's meta-game progress.

Edit: I've experimented more with platform combo's you can do with nair, and found that at lower percents, you can connect d-tilt and f-tilt, and other attacks as well, but those were the most notable. I found that it happens more around mid percents, about 30-50 depending on character, and rage.

Edit: After experimentation on Lylat, I found this combo can work better and worse depending on the area of the stage. In the side platforms if you are facing the upward angle and your opponent is below you, it can connect better, is a bit less strict, and works on more characters, but towards the lower angle or center platform, timing,spacing, and the characters it can work on are way more strict. As for stages like Smashville and Town and City, I find it is much more situational and isn't very reliable at all, given that the platforms move.

Last edited:

ViceC

Smash Rookie
Hmm... platform combos are definitely an under-explored aspect in corrin's meta. We should also test for possible combos on lylat's, smashville's, and town's platforms. But otherwise this could be a useful mixup in certain matchups. It does seem like to get it you'd need to condition the opponent to not shield on the platform, or get the opponent into a tech chase situation on the platform. Further labbing would be required to find the set ups, but this could be nice, because several meta relevant characters were in that list you provided. All in all cool discovery!

DMan64

Smash Cadet
It is definitively better as a mix up, since Nair has very little shield damage/stun, and opponents can act out of shield quicker as a result. I'm going to be testing again shortly to see how it works on other tourney legal stages.

Nah

Smash Champion
This is kind of one of those highly situational things. Nice of know if you just happen to find yourself in the perfect position to make use of it, but probably not really the most practical thing either. Gave it a try for a few minutes yesterday and it seems like the timing and positioning for Nair is pretty strict.

If you can get it on those characters in your list, you probably should be able to get it on :4corrin::4corrinf::4dedede::4dk::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4link::4palutena::4robinm::4robinf::4rob::rosalina::4samus::4zelda::4zss: at least too, since none of those are shorter or smaller than the ones you listed iirc.

Last edited:

DMan64

Smash Cadet
It's definitely strict, but on bigger/taller characters it works better. As for other stages like Lylat, it works best at the side platforms when facing the upward angle and your opponent is below you, since it can connect better, but else where it is very strict and sometimes doesn't work. It isn't practical really, but it's something that should be taken note of. I still think there is a lot that Corrin can do with the use of platforms though(such as the tech with Dragon Lunge, and even potential use with footstool combos), so I think experimentation on these stages with a variety of Corrin's other moves is well worth it, since it can at least present new options and ideas that can advance Corrin's meta, even if it is something as situational as this combo.

Top Bottom