• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nair strings

Dadooh

Smash Rookie
I have a hard time learning nair strings, especially keeping momentum after a FF. So I have several questions for you.
1. Any tips to get them more easily?
2. How usefull are nair strings in competitive play as a Pit player?
3. How to use nair strings efficiently?

Firox

Smash Master
Ya know, I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. Pit's Nair strings aren't as reliable or a potent as Palutena's, and to be honest, I feel there are more damaging and consistent combos you can use instead. For example, Nair FF->Nair only seems to work reliably at around 0-15%, and even if you land both Nairs, the combo only does 16-18% damage anyway. In contrast, Down Throw->Up Smash is 100% true at the same percentages and does about 21% damage. Back Throw->Dash Attack is slightly less consistent than Dthrow->Up Smash but does about 25% damage. Bottom line: If you can Nair string reliably, especially out of shield, go for it. Otherwise, just focus on combos you CAN do, and as always, use whatever is most effective against a given opponent.

Phyras

Smash Rookie
As early Down Throw conversion, D.throw > Full Jump D.air > Air Jump N.air, is true from 0 to 40%.
It's one of the most reliable and easy combo to practice and add +23% to your down throw (30% without pummeling).
Pit's true combos are listed in this guide https://smashboards.com/threads/an-in-depth-guide-to-pit.473370/

Pit N.air hardly combo in itself. It will often be the last piece of a string to catch an option in which case an Auto cancel N.air can reset a string.
About strings mix up, none of the following are true combos.
D.tilt > F.air can be repeated few times. Characters with high falling speed or big characters can be stuck in.
D.air can sometimes position for another D.air, F.air or Up.air.
F.air to F.air out of stage can steal some jumps and the stock.

Above 50% most of your conversions will become 2 move true combos and tech chases.
The D.Throw > FJ D.air > AJ N.air will get you to these percentages in a blink of an eye and then all left is spacing, read and punish.

But remember one thing : Pit is not a character who likes mashing buttons.
Although he got decent disjoints F.air, N.air and Up.air are all low damage multi hits, any aerial trade with these will greatly reward whoever character plays your opponent.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
Actually nair strings are the core of your damage. Just because all of the followups aren't guaranteed that doesn't mean you shouldn't know how to frame trap out of landing a neutral air. If you watch my boy trela that is a big part of what we work on a lot is followups out of neutral area air. Landing a neutral air puts your opponent in an awkward position that you can capitalize on. If you fast fall it and you are on the ground and they are flying through the air their options are very limited and you can cover them all. When people air Dodge and land you will most likely be able to get a grab or a dash attack. If they stay in the air you can possibly get a forward area or another neutral air sometimes in a pair based on the angle that they went at. Since you are going to be landing neutral air more than any other of your moves probably it is important to know the ways to follow it up. There are plenty of followups that are hard for your opponent to avoid that put you in a favorable position to get more damage once you land this move. This is an example of an option select you get out of neutral air. You hit them at neutral air and they are out of percent where they are still in the air by the time we finish landing and auto canceling and they are about a short hops height off the ground. If you choose to dash attack here you are covering the air dodge landing and you are also covering them falling down with an aerial. It also sets up difficult situations for the opponent. If they land on a platform you can start platform pressuring them or if they missed a tech you can go up there and jab lock them and get an uptil into a neutral air or something. Watch trelas videos and try to mimic his combos and follow up game. If you really wanna know how to get the most out of your character anyway. Try to use followups that you feel are appropriate both for the character that you are up against as well as the player. How you follow up your best move is going to determine whether you are a good player or not with this character. Yes there are other things that go into it but this is a big part of it

Phyras

Smash Rookie
Actually nair strings are the core of your damage. Just because all of the followups aren't guaranteed that doesn't mean you shouldn't know how to frame trap out of landing a neutral air. If you watch my boy trela that is a big part of what we work on a lot is followups out of neutral area air.
In early percents Pit's almost as potent as Squirtel at covering everything.
Landing N.air is indeed a free pass to many followup at any percent but landing Nair is far to be a safe landing option. The fact that Pit isn't much played and that N.air have no shieldstun often leads people to release their shield too early but it won't work twice in a match. That's not something you want to spam.

But as percent go higher, I'm not sure you would call it "string" over jungling when all the "follow up" available to you are bait and tech chase.
Yes you'll use more N.air than any over moves because it catch most opponent options but good players (including your boy Trela) are those who know when it's not the good move. I re-watched the match you posted on other topics and most of the time his follow up is an arrow because it can grind some percent or push in disadvantage or add pressure or bait an air dodge or a jump or steal buffered moves. Because above mid percent N.air knockback's too high to actually connect with any move before the opponent get some time to think. You can either throw an arrow to force a reaction and/or close the distance to keep the pressure.

Pit N.air is important but I also think new Pit players must first get rid of the "Divin N.air hammer" habit.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
When I said landing a neutral error I didn't mean landing with neutral air I'm at like hitting them with it but yeah the stuff you said was definitely true

Dadooh

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the answers. I'll try not to use that Divin Nair hammer too often anyways.

Top Bottom