• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mystical Ninja/Ganbare Goemon - Goemon Team - (Goemon Mii costume. "ONLY $0.75")

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Yes it is that bad. In fact it is a hundred times worse.

I really dont think you're comprehending this. Steve. *ing STEVE. The most atrociously designed dog * meme character for the most smooth brained 8 year olds. Is now playable in Smash Brothers. And he got in before a million other characters that people legitimately wanted more. They KNEW that Steve would negatively received and they put him in anyways. They put a significant amount of work into reworking every stage to be able to work with his gimmick. For this ridiculous meme character. A placeholder developer graphic that never got replaced because its developer was too lazy. He now has veteranship in Smash. Over any other character. So no matter what happens, from now until the end of time, Steve has seniority in Smash over ANYONE that comes after him.

Maybe you guys would be okay with that, but I am not. I will not be beholden to the insult of having any of my favorite characters be upstaged by this worthless, atrociously designed rectangle man. I am seriously never playing a Smash game again in my life and the only reason I'm still posting here is to say my farewells as I am also leaving Smashboards.
I am sorry to hear that. I dont think steve is upstaging anyone. He is an icon. Has been for a few years. Even last year it was steve vs banjo. I wish you good luck though.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I am sorry to hear that. I dont think steve is upstaging anyone. He is an icon. Has been for a few years. Even last year it was steve vs banjo. I wish you good luck though.
Thank you. I wish you the best too.

I wish it didn't have to be this way. But it does. Smash is a poison to my soul that I am culling from my life.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Yes it is that bad. In fact it is a hundred times worse.

I really dont think you're comprehending this. Steve. *ing STEVE. The most atrociously designed dog * meme character for the most smooth brained 8 year olds. Is now playable in Smash Brothers. And he got in before a million other characters that people legitimately wanted more. They KNEW that Steve would negatively received and they put him in anyways. They put a significant amount of work into reworking every stage to be able to work with his gimmick. For this ridiculous meme character that they KNEW would create a great divide. A placeholder developer graphic that never got replaced because its developer was too lazy. He now has veteranship in Smash. Over any other character. So no matter what happens, from now until the end of time itself, Steve has seniority in Smash over ANYONE that comes after him. Steve, a character with less than two seconds of thought put into him, whose name was just made up on the spot when somebody asked Notch about it on twitter, got in Smash.

Maybe you guys would be okay with an insult like that, but I am not. I will not be beholden to the insult of having any of my favorite characters be upstaged by this worthless, atrociously designed rectangle man. I am not going to live with the idea that characters with actual thought and care and professionalism and passion put into their designs, made by people who actually KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING, are now going to forever play second fiddle to a universally abysmal "character" that is nothing more than a placeholder graphic. I am seriously never playing a Smash game again in my life and the only reason I'm still posting here is to say my farewells as I am also leaving Smashboards.
As much as I agree on every single word you wrote.. two things..
I'm not a fan of this place either, except this sole thread.. for the good peeps in it. I though would miss a genuine sound.. one that says it the way it is. Point, can't you not stay until maybe the end of the Pass?
Second, the ultimate goal for old IPs to join is a chance of revival... and now, a snap shot session I guess.
I'll add a third, do you really think it was just blown? sure it what broke the camels back.. but wasn't the ridiculous amount of Fire Emblem characters a sign?

PsychoJosh

As much as I agree on every single word you wrote.. two things..
I'm not a fan of this place either, except this sole thread.. for the good peeps in it. I though would miss a genuine sound.. one that says it the way it is. Point, can't you not stay until maybe the end of the Pass?
What would be the point? I don't enjoy reveals anymore. As a matter of fact I dread them now. Each one is so much worse than the last. Of course I can't see how ANY character could possibly be worse than Steve, and I think we are currently at rock bottom as far as characters go. But I'm worried about tempting fate with that statement, and we may just find out who would be worse if I'm not careful about my words.

It's funny because since Ultimate came out, I've gone from having a wishlist and hopes for the game, to being ambivalent and not caring once the DLC started rolling in, to actively hating the game, and now I'm at the point where I'm actually SCARED of characters I like getting in because I don't want them subjected to the sheer awfulness of this game and its fanbase.

Second, the ultimate goal for old IPs to join is a chance of revival... and now, a snap shot session I guess.
They don't need Smash to be revived. This is a trap several of my friends fall into as well. I have a friend who really likes Panel de Pon and sees Smash as the only way it'll come back. But it doesn't have to be that way. Over the past few years, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Doom got revived. So it's not out of the realm of possibility for a franchise to come back on its own. None of those franchises had even a wisp of breath from Smash.

I'll add a third, do you really think it was just blown? sure it what broke the camels back.. but wasn't the ridiculous amount of Fire Emblem characters a sign?
Yes, to be honest, this has been a long time coming. I had many criticisms of the game before this but the inclusion of Steve really is beyond the pale.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
What would be the point? I don't enjoy reveals anymore. As a matter of fact I dread them now. Each one is so much worse than the last. Of course I can't see how ANY character could possibly be worse than Steve, and I think we are currently at rock bottom as far as characters go. But I'm worried about tempting fate with that statement, and we may just find out who would be worse if I'm not careful about my words.

It's funny because since Ultimate came out, I've gone from having a wishlist and hopes for the game, to being ambivalent and not caring once the DLC started rolling in, to actively hating the game, and now I'm at the point where I'm actually SCARED of characters I like getting in because I don't want them subjected to the sheer awfulness of this game and its fanbase.

They don't need Smash to be revived. This is a trap several of my friends fall into as well. I have a friend who really likes Panel de Pon and sees Smash as the only way it'll come back. But it doesn't have to be that way. Over the past few years, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Doom got revived. So it's not out of the realm of possibility for a franchise to come back on its own. None of those franchises had even a wisp of breath from Smash.

Yes, to be honest, this has been a long time coming. I had many criticisms of the game before this but the inclusion of Steve really is beyond the pale.
Man, you're like psychically connected to my thoughts.. that I don't know what else to say.
That particular train of feelings is what I went through, albeit my friend went faster that he despise the whole company now.
Hmm, I never thought of it as a trap.. still, no denying it does help. But I get what you're saying and I've been thinking about it plenty, so there's a ton lot to say here but I'm not going to.
Speaking of rock bottom btw.. there's one more :)
Well, I don't want what upsets you, we're here mostly talking Goemon, missing a fan is loss..
If something good came out of those DLCs, do like I would, simply don't DL steve. I made the mistake of buying the whole first pass and got Byleth. Not putting a penny until the whole set is revealed... Unless of course it's Goemon.

YuriVolteHyuga

Smash Rookie

Hey, long time reader, longer time Goemon fan, first time poster and probably soon to be banned. Also I'm not from a english speaking area so so so don't hate me for my spelling and grammar but for my opinions.
So yeah, I do not expect a single person here to actually care what I write but your recent posts here are my single reaeson for creating an account here.

For context, I never played Minecraft, never owned it. I know myself well enough to know that I could never enjoy this. When I saw Steves reveal my thoughts were "Man, he looks frickin creepy. I waited months for this? That's a disappointment.". To be frank, Steve is by far the worst DLC choice for me so far.

But your posts are like the epidomy of everything I hate about fandoms. The utter pettyness how belittle people who like Minecraft, a unique game that has brought joy to millions of people of all ages for years, as stupid children. And while I am not one of these people and never will be, some of them are dear to my heart. People I have known for years that are more compassioned, mature and intelligent then anything I will ever see from you. The arrogance how you present your opinions. The absurd riduculousness how you descripe how this recent reveals stressed you like any person in their right mind would pitty you because a gaming character you don't like got into Smash.

Smash is ruined now because it regognizes something you don't like. Not because it's developers are bead people, not because any negative effect it had on people but because it is enjoyed by people that are not you. By people who like other things then you and are therfore wrong and intellectually inferior to you because they don't like the objectively good things, the things you like. There is no point to this anymore, no need for characters you like to be included because Nintendo went against your tastes, and that can't stand. Better no one gets anything they like then someone besides you getting what they want first, I get it (not).

I'm not sticking around here and this post is probably going to be deleated very soon but I just had to vent how seriously disgusted I am by you. You and I are seemingly both Goemon fans but atleast you're no Smash fan anymore cause honestly the leass I have in common with you the better.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Hey, long time reader, longer time Goemon fan, first time poster and probably soon to be banned. Also I'm not from a english speaking area so so so don't hate me for my spelling and grammar but for my opinions.
So yeah, I do not expect a single person here to actually care what I write but your recent posts here are my single reaeson for creating an account here.

For context, I never played Minecraft, never owned it. I know myself well enough to know that I could never enjoy this. When I saw Steves reveal my thoughts were "Man, he looks frickin creepy. I waited months for this? That's a disappointment.". To be frank, Steve is by far the worst DLC choice for me so far.

But your posts are like the epidomy of everything I hate about fandoms. The utter pettyness how belittle people who like Minecraft, a unique game that has brought joy to millions of people of all ages for years, as stupid children. And while I am not one of these people and never will be, some of them are dear to my heart. People I have known for years that are more compassioned, mature and intelligent then anything I will ever see from you. The arrogance how you present your opinions. The absurd riduculousness how you descripe how this recent reveals stressed you like any person in their right mind would pitty you because a gaming character you don't like got into Smash.

Smash is ruined now because it regognizes something you don't like. Not because it's developers are bead people, not because any negative effect it had on people but because it is enjoyed by people that are not you. By people who like other things then you and are therfore wrong and intellectually inferior to you because they don't like the objectively good things, the things you like. There is no point to this anymore, no need for characters you like to be included because Nintendo went against your tastes, and that can't stand. Better no one gets anything they like then someone besides you getting what they want first, I get it (not).

I'm not sticking around here and this post is probably going to be deleated very soon but I just had to vent how seriously disgusted I am by you. You and I are seemingly both Goemon fans but atleast you're no Smash fan anymore cause honestly the leass I have in common with you the better.
We try to be chill in the goemon thread. Well, I try to be chill. I think your message could use a rephrasing, but you have a point. Smash is a celebration of all of gaming at this point. Ultimate specifically made a note of that. One thing people need to remember is that smash has been around for 20 years now. If not longer. When Smash64 was released, people were content with the original 12, not knowing who Samus or Ness or even captain Falcon were. The game has had 20 years of fans to jump in. Let me try to break it down.

When Smash Melee came out, we have people that were say in their 13/15s commenting online about it. I say that age because most of the gamers leading up to 2001 would have been born in 1988 ish. Fast forward to Brawl in 2007 and we have now 6 years of new people enetering the 13/15 range. Why do I bring this up. Because if we look at Smash4, which was released in 2014. That is y years from brawl, 13 years from melee. The people that will be invested (the age demographic Nintendo is shooting for) has changed. It has shifted. The original 13/15 are now in their 30s and the 12/15 demographic is now 15 or so years younger.

Why do I go into that. I grew up with PSX/N64 being my primarily driving generation. It is the one I remember most fondly and best. That means experimental RPGs, bad platformers and wonky 3D. But 15 years later, my nephew (yes. I am old. This account is from 2007.) he was playing Minecraaft. I actually played it mainly with him. And I know many kids that are smash fans that also grew up on Minecraft.

We have many generations of gamers who play smash at this point. People as old as 35 to people as young as 15. Think about that. That is definitely two generations playing one game. Lets look at FP1.

Hero, Banjo and Terry are definitely boomer reps. They are from old games/series and represent the old guard.
Joker, Byleth, Min Min and Steve are zoomer reps. Whilst FE is an old series, Byleth them-self is a very new character from FEs second wave. These reps appeal to the younger group.

I know people hate the Mii costumes, but I think it is a smart thing given limited resources.

My main point in all of this. Smash is just a game. and it targets many, many many demographics. I know younger crowds hated the idea of Banjo because he was from a forgotten platformer series. And he is. That is a fact. I take all the announcements in strides. Mainly because at the end of the day, it is truly just a game. If you are not finding enjoyment out of it, then please stop and find something that gives you happiness. Steve was not a rep I cared for, but I understand his inclusion and why he is here. I accept that and am hopeful for fun gameplay.

Last note is, I understand the disappointment of not getting a character you really want. In Brawl and Smash4, I REALLY wanted Ridley. I was very disappointed with him being a boss, both times But I looked at the roster and found something to enjoy because I just had fun playing smash. In smash 4, I mained Dr. Mario and Wii Fit Trainer. Both were odd balls and I found enjoyment out of people hating them. I then also mained cloud because I liked his kit. I found happiness where I could. If you cannot, again. please stop and find what makes you happy. But I dont think Steve is the end of smash or its integrity, especially when we have many generations playing smash and we have to focus on all of them.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
PsychoJosh PsychoJosh I understand why you want to leave the Smash community and Smash in general and I respect that. But while I still love Smash and enjoy the games for the few wanted characters I get, I plan to probably leave the speculation scene during the middle of Fighter's Pass 2 or at the end of DLC speculation for Ultimate as this community can be toxic at times and the extended waiting for the characters because of COVID can be tiresome.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
drag0nscythe drag0nscythe the point of PsychoJosh PsychoJosh is really simple, and he framed it whole in one word.. "seniority".
That's all to it really. The wait spent, the emotions invested, the hope hanged is way overpaid than any of the new gen. entries requested. Simply think of it as, one that has paid 30 and got nothing, the other paid 9 and got everything. I still however don't know his ultimate wish, but regardless, it is frustrating.

In a similar situation, if Fortnite was represented in Smash and not MC, MC fans would get mad about it. (Honestly I'm not sure why that didn't happen when it's has overcome MC in every way). Point is, it not fans, so let's not blame any, it's Nintendo.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
drag0nscythe drag0nscythe the point of PsychoJosh PsychoJosh is really simple, and he framed it whole in one word.. "seniority".
That's all to it really. The wait spent, the emotions invested, the hope hanged is way overpaid than any of the new gen. entries requested. Simply think of it as, one that has paid 30 and got nothing, the other paid 9 and got everything. I still however don't know his ultimate wish, but regardless, it is frustrating.

In a similar situation, if Fortnite was represented in Smash and not MC, MC fans would get mad about it. (Honestly I'm not sure why that didn't happen when it's has overcome MC in every way). Point is, it not fans, so let's not blame any, it's Nintendo.
Seniority can play a role, but the best example I can think of is some of the more niche series I really like. Lets take Legacy of Kain. I love that series of games. It ended around 2010 with that weird FTP multiplayer game called nosgoth. It was a rather big EDIOS series back in the day. Not as large as Tomb Raider, but large. It is a senior series at this point. If I put it next to Minecraft and said "Ok gaming public. Pick one." I know who would win that battle.

And I think that is important to remember and consider. If Fortnite got in, it would not bother me. I don't play it, I dont really care. The base smash game had 70+ characters and DLC added in 10 more. There is a lot to like about the game. 1/2/even 10 characters I hate out of 80+ is not going to make me hate the game any more or less.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think more than anything, it's noteworthy to include certain characters off of legacy and Minecraft certainly has one despite only being around 11 years. It's the best selling game of all time and it's a cultural phenomenon in the gaming industry whether you agree with that or not. Minecraft merchandise and sells of the game shows it is worthy of having a character in Smash. But personally, I whether have characters who either I want or who I think would be really fun to play. Steve I'm at least happy about being in because of TheCJBrine TheCJBrine getting his wish.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I think more than anything, it's noteworthy to include certain characters off of legacy and Minecraft certainly has one despite only being around 11 years. It's the best selling game of all time and it's a cultural phenomenon in the gaming industry whether you agree with that or not. Minecraft merchandise and sells of the game shows it is worthy of having a character in Smash. But personally, I whether have characters who either I want or who I think would be really fun to play. Steve I'm at least happy about being in because of TheCJBrine TheCJBrine getting his wish.
I think that is where the main issue falls. People dont think Steve is worthy. But I want to ask why? Why is he not a worthy addition? Steve is not from a series that has used predatory practices to force people to spend money. Minecraft started 11 years ago and took over the gaming landscape. It is a house hold name. It is a game that the younger generation knows and enjoys. And Smash is for everyone.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think that is where the main issue falls. People dont think Steve is worthy. But I want to ask why? Why is he not a worthy addition? Steve is not from a series that has used predatory practices to force people to spend money. Minecraft started 11 years ago and took over the gaming landscape. It is a house hold name. It is a game that the younger generation knows and enjoys. And Smash is for everyone.
Because to certain people Steve and Minecraft are boring and uninspiring amd they prefer their most wanted over Steve or pretty much anyone else.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Because to certain people Steve and Minecraft are boring and uninspiring amd they prefer their most wanted over Steve or pretty much anyone else.
Not going to lie. He is boring. and he is uninspiring. but you know who else is that. Ryu from Ninja Gaiden. He is a ninja. with a sword. He looks so similar to Joe from Shinobi that it hurts sometimes. That is not an excuse to me. It is the mechanics and the package the character can bring with him.

And Sakurai made plant. And plant works. So I trust him when he makes a character.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not going to lie. He is boring. and he is uninspiring. but you know who else is that. Ryu from Ninja Gaiden. He is a ninja. with a sword. He looks so similar to Joe from Shinobi that it hurts sometimes. That is not an excuse to me. It is the mechanics and the package the character can bring with him.

And Sakurai made plant. And plant works. So I trust him when he makes a character.
Well regardless, Steve is a icon as well as Hayabusa. Goemon in my opinion is much of a icon or more than Hayabusa since the Ganbare Goemon games have been aroumd since the NES era as well and have span over 30 games in the series despite most of those games being Japan exclusive.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Well regardless, Steve is a icon as well as Hayabusa. Goemon in my opinion is much of a icon or more than Hayabusa since the Ganbare Goemon games have been aroumd since the NES era as well and have span over 30 games in the series despite most of those games being Japan exclusive.
I agree. Goemon is an icon. I just wish Konami had not done him dirty and published more games westward. The SNES series is all good and even the PS2 game could have done a splash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I agree. Goemon is an icon. I just wish Konami had not done him dirty and published more games westward. The SNES series is all good and even the PS2 game could have done a splash.
Me too. Goemon should had more of his games release over here specifically the Super Famicom games and to me, Goemon is just as much of a icon as Snake and Simon. Goemon is Konami's Mario in my heart.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Me too. Goemon should had more of his games release over here specifically the Super Famicom games and to me, Goemon is just as much of a icon as Snake and Simon. Goemon is Konami's Mario in my heart.
He is. His series is as long running. What needs to happen now for his survival is simple. We need the SNES goemon games to be released in a translated box. If Konami did that, making a collection of 8 games. (being MR. Goemon [Arcade], Goemon 1-1 [MSX], Gabare Goemon 1-4, Ebisumaru), we would get the series beginning into peoples hands. I am certain it would be a cult seller.

Then they also need to make a brand new game on the switch.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
He is. His series is as long running. What needs to happen now for his survival is simple. We need the SNES goemon games to be released in a translated box. If Konami did that, making a collection of 8 games. (being MR. Goemon [Arcade], Goemon 1-1 [MSX], Gabare Goemon 1-4, Ebisumaru), we would get the series beginning into peoples hands. I am certain it would be a cult seller.

Then they also need to make a brand new game on the switch.
That would be the dream. I honestly want this more than Goemon in Smash. I just want Goemon to become more well known in the west.

PsychoJosh

I really couldn't care less what you think. I'm not sorry for anything I said and I stand by every single word. I'm disgusted by people like you who enable Nintendo to keep up their mental/emotional abuse and enslavement, you might think I'm being dramatic but that is literally what it is. It is emotional manipulation to the highest degree. Smash fans have what is undoubtedly a form of stockholm syndrome, where through repeated blows to the face, black eyes and choking back on their blood, they still tell themselves that Nintendo loves them and that the next character will prove it. I hate to break it to you but Nintendo just sees you as a wallet with legs and they don't care about having any sort of standards of quality control or even appeasing you in the slightest. Smash doesn't exist to make you happy it exists to bleed characters dry of all their monetary worth. You realize that if Smash didn't exist we would've had a new F-Zero by now? A new Wario Land? All these series go to Smash to die because they realize they can save money and still appease a broader audience by just taking Captain Falcon and updating his model/animation a little bit every few years, much easier than spending money developing a brand new F-Zero game that would only appeal to a subset of the same audience. They don't care. Always chase the money. Don't waste time on small people and the things they actually want because all money is the same, and anything that would cost them more for less is a waste of time. You actually apologize for this mentality because you've confused corporate interest for your own interest and fallen into the same trap as any Smash fanboy.

There's no pettiness in any of my words, Steve being included in Smash is the absolute worst thing that could have happened and we are now in uncharted waters. I don't care how it brings "joy to millions of people for all ages for years", the same could be said about eating boogers. That doesn't make it any less repulsive and vile. And the truth is all the signs were there that Nintendo doesn't care and just sees you as wallets, the idea that a worthless character like Steve is on the same level of quality and deserves the same recognition as Terry or Banjo is absolutely disgusting in every way and just shows that it sees all people's opinions as equally disposable walking money envelopes young or old, they don't have any standards, in fact they keep constantly insulting the audience and know that they can get away with it because of people like you. You and I both saw the Byleth trailer, that encapsulates everything about how they regard their fans, they made fun of the idea of "too many swordsmen" being in Smash (a common complaint) and they hung a lampshade on it by adding another swordsman anyways. It's a slap in the face, it's basically telling people "we've heard your complaints, we just don't care", which is the same reasoning they used to put Steve into the game. So you have it wrong from the start, its developers ARE bad and malicious people because they KNEW that Steve would receive a huge negative backlash, and theystill put the effort in to reprogram EVERY SINGLE STAGE IN THE GAME to work with his gimmick, nothing like that comes out of a pure desire to make people happy but a desire to actively sow more seeds of disgust and loathing in the community.

What's it going to take to get you to realize they have nothing but contempt and mockery for you? Steve's inclusion is a sign announcing this to the heavens, it's like they're holding a big neon sign saying "I ****ed your mom" yet here you are still apologizing for their behavior. How much more blood can they draw from the stone? The arrogance and contempt you've displayed for me just because I go against the status quo of blindly swallowing every piece of bull**** that Nintendo craps out just because they put the effort in isn't really bothersome to me because it says everything I need to know about you.

This has never been about what I want. I haven't ever gotten a SINGLE THING I've wanted out of any of the DLC characters and I probably never will, and I've accepted that a long time ago. This is about the death of standards and the relentless trolling that comes from the top. Smash's community will never be anything but a toxic one and the reason is because Nintendo does most of the trolling themselves - as I said, they insult and berate their audience with their character choices while we scream into the wind. They don't care. First insult was Piranha Plant. Then Byleth with the "haha too many swordsmen" troll. And now Steve, the absolute worst character choice, the rock bottom metric by which all other scenarios could be judged, has now come to pass. Tell me how can Smash be anything BUT a toxic community when the toxicity comes from the VERY TOP? Nintendo does the trolling themselves so how can their community be expected to be anything but trolls? Nintendo has basically said that it's all okay to be angry and at each other's throats all the time. It's not like they don't know what they're doing because they're one of the biggest companies in the world. Yet they turn a blind eye to the constant trolling and infighting and even the problem of child grooming within the community because as I've said countless times they do not care in the slightest. If you do not see how Smash is a poison upon the earth then I pity you.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
There is alot to unpack there. So lets see.
It is emotional manipulation to the highest degree. Smash fans have what is undoubtedly a form of stockholm syndrome, where through repeated blows to the face, black eyes and choking back on their blood, they still tell themselves that Nintendo loves them and that the next character will prove it. I hate to break it to you but Nintendo just sees you as a wallet with legs and they don't care about having any sort of standards of quality control or even appeasing you in the slightest. Smash doesn't exist to make you happy it exists to bleed characters dry of all their monetary worth. You realize that if Smash didn't exist we would've had a new F-Zero by now? A new Wario Land? All these series go to Smash to die because they realize they can save money and still appease a broader audience by just taking Captain Falcon and updating his model/animation a little bit every few years, much easier than spending money developing a brand new F-Zero game that would only appeal to a subset of the same audience. They don't care. Always chase the money. Don't waste time on small people and the things they actually want because all money is the same, and anything that would cost them more for less is a waste of time. You actually apologize for this mentality because you've confused corporate interest for your own interest and fallen into the same trap as any Smash fanboy.
This is a fallacy. Nintendo has no real interest in making a new starfox game unless there is a gimmick. Smash is not a resting ground for old franchises. Nintendo has gone on record of not caring out its weaker series. Case in point. Metriod: Samus Retruns and Metroid Prime 4 are in the works and Samus has been in smash since N64. We dont have new games for those series because Nintendo does not think they will sell. And how does this relate to emotional manipulation?

There's no pettiness in any of my words, Steve being included in Smash is the absolute worst thing that could have happened and we are now in uncharted waters. I don't care how it brings "joy to millions of people for all ages for years", the same could be said about eating boogers.
Going to stop you there. You are equating peoples tastes to eating boogers? The street goes both ways. Anyone can see Goemon and go.. "Man that blue haired freak looks boring. And his game is just a weaker version of Yokai Watch."

That doesn't make it any less repulsive and vile. And the truth is all the signs were there that Nintendo doesn't care and just sees you as wallets, the idea that a worthless character like Steve is on the same level of quality and deserves the same recognition as Terry or Banjo is absolutely disgusting in every way and just shows that it sees all people's opinions as equally disposable walking money envelopes young or old, they don't have any standards, in fact they keep constantly insulting the audience and know that they can get away with it because of people like you.
But Steve is not worthless. He is selling millions to billions. I tell you, some of my favorite games of ALL time were sold to a company employee for 5 dollars. I love Fur Fighters. That game is boss. But I tell you. People will not look at Minecraft and call it worthless.

You and I both saw the Byleth trailer, that encapsulates everything about how they regard their fans, they made fun of the idea of "too many swordsmen" being in Smash (a common complaint) and they hung a lampshade on it by adding another swordsman anyways. It's a slap in the face, it's basically telling people "we've heard your complaints, we just don't care", which is the same reasoning they used to put Steve into the game. So you have it wrong from the start, its developers ARE bad and malicious people because they KNEW that Steve would receive a huge negative backlash, and theystill put the effort in to reprogram EVERY SINGLE STAGE IN THE GAME to work with his gimmick, nothing like that comes out of a pure desire to make people happy but a desire to actively sow more seeds of disgust and loathing in the community.
It honestly depends on who they are listening to. Steve was a popular vote on the ballet. I can tell you. 1 million kids age 10-18 voting steve will be heard much more then most other characters. There was a market for him.

What's it going to take to get you to realize they have nothing but contempt and mockery for you? Steve's inclusion is a sign announcing this to the heavens, it's like they're holding a big neon sign saying "I ed your mom" yet here you are still apologizing for their behavior. How much more blood can they draw from the stone? The arrogance and contempt you've displayed for me just because I go against the status quo of blindly swallowing every piece of bull that Nintendo craps out just because they put the effort in isn't really bothersome to me because it says everything I need to know about you.
Now. If there was no effort put into the character, I would agree. But given what we saw on Oct 3rd, I cannot. There was lots of thought and work put into translating Steve into Smash. More then they ever had to put in.

This has never been about what I want. I haven't ever gotten a SINGLE THING I've wanted out of any of the DLC characters and I probably never will, and I've accepted that a long time ago. This is about the death of standards and the relentless trolling that comes from the top. Smash's community will never be anything but a toxic one and the reason is because Nintendo does most of the trolling themselves - as I said, they insult and berate their audience with their character choices while we scream into the wind. They don't care. First insult was Piranha Plant. Then Byleth with the "haha too many swordsmen" troll. And now Steve, the absolute worst character choice, the rock bottom metric by which all other scenarios could be judged, has now come to pass. Tell me how can Smash be anything BUT a toxic community when the toxicity comes from the VERY TOP? Nintendo does the trolling themselves so how can their community be expected to be anything but trolls? Nintendo has basically said that it's all okay to be angry and at each other's throats all the time. It's not like they don't know what they're doing because they're one of the biggest companies in the world. Yet they turn a blind eye to the constant trolling and infighting and even the problem of child grooming within the community because as I've said countless times they do not care in the slightest. If you do not see how Smash is a poison upon the earth then I pity you.
I think you are looking at it all wrong. And the thing is, it is about what you want. This type of reaction stems from disappointment. I love plant. I think he was a great addition because it was so weird. Sakurai always puts in the weirdo character. and plant was perfect for that. He also is super fun to play. But lets look at another fighting game series. Check out Tekken. It is weird. Like really weird on characters and how they treat everything. They turned Ganryu into a joke. Well, many characters into jokes. But it is all in good fun.

I see Byleth as a shill pick by nintendo. That I agree with, but they are adding characters based on gaming and what can be fun. I seriously doubt they are trolling anyone. If they were, we would not of had Ridley, K Rool, Simon, Richter, Isabelle, Hero, Banjo, Terry.

Again I ask. This is an intense hatred for something as innocuous as Steve from Minecraft.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Seniority can play a role, but the best example I can think of is some of the more niche series I really like. Lets take Legacy of Kain. I love that series of games. It ended around 2010 with that weird FTP multiplayer game called nosgoth. It was a rather big EDIOS series back in the day. Not as large as Tomb Raider, but large. It is a senior series at this point. If I put it next to Minecraft and said "Ok gaming public. Pick one." I know who would win that battle.

And I think that is important to remember and consider. If Fortnite got in, it would not bother me. I don't play it, I dont really care. The base smash game had 70+ characters and DLC added in 10 more. There is a lot to like about the game. 1/2/even 10 characters I hate out of 80+ is not going to make me hate the game any more or less.
No no, you're not getting my point.
Now despite those being Playstation figures (I know, not the point). The thing is, the choice wasn't up for public. And even if it was, it wouldn't be fair.
It's simply that Steve skipped the queue. That's it.
Imagine you're waiting in a queue for 10 hours to get something, and when you're just about to reach the end of the queue, someone skips the whole queue, jumps in front of you, get the thing you we've spent those hours waiting for and not only that, but when it's your turn they tell you it's sold-out and that was the last piece!?
Would you also be OK if that person, that skipped you and the whole queue, was given that special treatment purely and solely because he was rich/richer than you? mind you, and he didn't pay a single dime for it.
(That's what the whole Steve situation is about, I hope it's clear enough now)

Fortnite wouldn't bother you, but it's certainly bother MC fans if it was included before Steve.

Yeah, you're totally right. And that's what I hope PsychoJosh PsychoJosh can look beyond. Certainly, with 70+ characters, you can surely have some you like. I for example don't bother with the new FE ones. What happened is frustrating for sure, but as you say, for that amount, it can be looked over.
R RetrogamerMax why keep calling it the best selling game of all times? it is not. Tetris, Fortnite, CoD and I don't know if there're others have outdone MC in sales, and Fortnite did it in a fraction of the time it took Minecraft.
and honestly, that doesn't show any worth of inclusion. If so, then it would've been one of those three.

Because he skipped the queue, that's all. Let Steve come back in 10 years more time then ask for joining, that's the issue.
No, it's just that he skipped the queue, that's all.
I'll say though, to me personally, yeah he does look uninspiring. He is in fact a place holder. But that's just my opinion.

The rest of what you said, guys. Is gold.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Now despite those being Playstation figures (I know, not the point). The thing is, the choice wasn't up for public. And even if it was, it wouldn't be fair.
Imagine you're waiting in a queue for 10 hours to get something, and when you're just about to reach the end of the queue, someone skips the whole queue, jumps in front of you, get the thing you we've spent those hours waiting for and not only that, but when it's your turn they tell you it's sold-out and that was the last piece!?
Would you also be OK if that person, that skipped you and the whole queue, was given that special treatment purely and solely because he was rich/richer than you? mind you, and he didn't pay a single dime for it.

Fortnite wouldn't bother you, but it's certainly bother MC fans if it was included before Steve.

Yeah, you're totally right. And that's what I hope PsychoJosh PsychoJosh can look beyond. Certainly, with 70+ characters, you can surely have some you like. I for example don't bother with the new FE ones. What happened is frustrating for sure, but as you say, for that amount, it can be looked over.

R RetrogamerMax why keep calling it the best selling game of all times? it is not. Tetris, Fortnite, CoD and I don't know if there're others have outdone MC in sales, and Fortnite did it in a fraction of the time it took Minecraft.
and honestly, that doesn't show any worth of inclusion. If so, then it would've been one of those three.

Because he skipped the queue, that's all. Let Steve come back in 10 years more time then ask for joining, that's the issue.

No, it's just that he skipped the queue, that's all.
I'll say though, to me personally, yeah he does look uninspiring. He is in fact a place holder. But that's just my opinion.

The rest of what you said, guys. Is gold.
I somewhat agree. But a lot of people would beg to differ. While this isn't Wiki isn't the best source, here it is:

Oops, wrong link. Here it is:

Minecraft has sold over 200 million in sales.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

I understand your queue analogy. But I ask, who did he jump ahead of? When I think of it, I look to choosing for the baseball/soccer/cricket team. They look at the entire field and choose who they like. Was always that way. The ballot was the exception to character choices. If we had unlimited resource, I know we could have as many characters as possible. And Trust me, I have many I want. But at the end of the day, it is limited resources. And Nintendo does call all the shots (trust me. If it was fans, we never would of had Hero, Joker or Terry.) It is this weird place. But I also see it as buying a product. We are buying a product from Nintendo. Technically we can say "nah. no thank you."

I am fine with the FE selection. I have a soft sport for generic anime swords-women. So I am good there.

I somewhat agree. But a lot of people would beg to differ. While this isn't Wiki isn't the best source, here it is:

Lemmings

Ok. I want Lemmings now.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

This is a fallacy. Nintendo has no real interest in making a new starfox game unless there is a gimmick. Smash is not a resting ground for old franchises. Nintendo has gone on record of not caring out its weaker series. Case in point. Metriod: Samus Retruns and Metroid Prime 4 are in the works and Samus has been in smash since N64. We dont have new games for those series because Nintendo does not think they will sell. And how does this relate to emotional manipulation?
This is not a fallacy. If Smash didn't exist they would have reason to go on with their franchises. The reason they don't feel they sell is because they have cannibalized their own sales potential with Smash. It is very much a place where franchises go to die. And I don't know if you've ever played F-Zero GX but it was very much a product they believed in. You don't understand the amount of quality and care that went into that game. The series is now abandoned because it doesn't fit with their bottom line, the height of cynical, soulless corporate reasoning - "it doesn't make enough money to justify it". To this day I am still perplexed how there are people on the CONSUMER side who defend this line of reasoning because it is the same reasoning that got a supremely abysmal character like Steve into Smash. Tell me how it benefits YOU in any way to care about Nintendo's bottom line of "if it doesn't sell, it's not worth our time"? Do you get a cut of that money? Do you get any new games out of it? Do you get ANYTHING quality out of caring about this reasoning? No, all you have is an 'understanding' of why they do it, which I hope you can be happy with instead of receiving anything you'd actually want. Again this is the Nintendo stockholm syndrome speaking for you. You're out starving in the street and Nintendo walks by, fat as a pig with money falling out of their wallets and they can't be offered to throw you a chicken leg. And you justify it by saying "well, it's not in their bottom line to care about me, I understand it costs too much money to feed everyone". So they feed no one except their kids who are already fat.

Going to stop you there. You are equating peoples tastes to eating boogers? The street goes both ways. Anyone can see Goemon and go.. "Man that blue haired freak looks boring. And his game is just a weaker version of Yokai Watch."
And?

But Steve is not worthless. He is selling millions to billions. I tell you, some of my favorite games of ALL time were sold to a company employee for 5 dollars. I love Fur Fighters. That game is boss. But I tell you. People will not look at Minecraft and call it worthless.

Steve is worthless. Minecraft is not. This is the false equivalence you're making. People don't play Minecraft because of Steve, because Steve is not a character. He is a replaceable player skin. Minecraft's gameplay is not tied to the "character". Steve is a skinnable model that can be any character you want. By himself he has no real pull. People don't care about Steve the way they care about Mario, Sonic or even Villager.

It honestly depends on who they are listening to. Steve was a popular vote on the ballet. I can tell you. 1 million kids age 10-18 voting steve will be heard much more then most other characters. There was a market for him.
So what? There were many popular votes on the ballot that got discarded for less. Steve was popular? Big deal, so were Shrek, Goku, Baldi, Freddy Fazbear and a billion other meme picks. The reason they never picked those characters, and something they can no longer claim, is because they had standards. And now that Steve is in, those standards are completely gone.

Now. If there was no effort put into the character, I would agree. But given what we saw on Oct 3rd, I cannot. There was lots of thought and work put into translating Steve into Smash. More then they ever had to put in.
Yes. That's what I said. It's a wasted effort, or more specifically a misguided one. As I've said before they knew the backlash would be huge and they did it anyways. That shows contempt and cynicism.

I think you are looking at it all wrong. And the thing is, it is about what you want. This type of reaction stems from disappointment. I love plant. I think he was a great addition because it was so weird. Sakurai always puts in the weirdo character. and plant was perfect for that. He also is super fun to play. But lets look at another fighting game series. Check out Tekken. It is weird. Like really weird on characters and how they treat everything. They turned Ganryu into a joke. Well, many characters into jokes. But it is all in good fun.
I'm not looking at it wrong at all. Smash has many problems not the least of which is the trolling that comes from the top. But it has many gameplay issues, too many issues to count and that I have counted before. Steve is just the cherry on the mountain of BS.

Again I ask. This is an intense hatred for something as innocuous as Steve from Minecraft.
It is not, in ANY WAY, "innocuous". It is the most toxic and deplorable thing possible coming from a place of PURE cynicism, contempt, and mockery. Steve is paramount disrespect to anyone who cared about this franchise in any way, of course, I haven't for a long time so I don't really let it bother me, this is just the final nail in the coffin.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord

Call of Duty, 250 Million ($15 Billion), Fortnite is a freak.. 350 million, revenue in whatever billions and record breaker of 8.3 million concurrent players. That monster is just way above the rest. Tetris seems out done though. So yeah, it's not Minecraft for sure.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
This is not a fallacy. If Smash didn't exist they would have reason to go on with their franchises. The reason they don't feel they sell is because they have cannibalized their own sales potential with Smash. It is very much a place where franchises go to die. And I don't know if you've ever played F-Zero GX but it was very much a product they believed in. You don't understand the amount of quality and care that went into that game. The series is now abandoned because it doesn't fit with their bottom line, the height of cynical, soulless corporate reasoning - "it doesn't make enough money to justify it". To this day I am still perplexed how there are people on the CONSUMER side who defend this line of reasoning because it is the same reasoning that got a supremely abysmal character like Steve into Smash. Tell me how it benefits YOU in any way to care about Nintendo's bottom line of "if it doesn't sell, it's not worth our time"? Do you get a cut of that money? Do you get any new games out of it? Do you get ANYTHING quality out of caring about this reasoning? No, all you have is an 'understanding' of why they do it, which I hope you can be happy with instead of receiving anything you'd actually want. Again this is the Nintendo stockholm syndrome speaking for you. You're out starving in the street and Nintendo walks by, fat as a pig with money falling out of their wallets and they can't be offered to throw you a chicken leg. And you justify it by saying "well, it's not in their bottom line to care about me, I understand it costs too much money to feed everyone". So they feed no one except their kids who are already fat.
It is a fallacy. Lets look at Nintendo's staple of characters. In and out of smash. Mike Jones from star tropics, Advanced Wars, Chibi-Robo, Box Boy, Captain Rainbow, Rythem Heaven. All not really represented in Smash as an AT or a fighter. No new games. This has everything to do with what Nintendo thinks is profitable. We have been seeing this all over the industry. Sega only makes Mario. EA only makes Call of Duty or Madden. Why was Squares new IP treated like a big deal? because it is a gamble and companies constantly make fewer and fewer. It is the nature of business.

Just remember that when people think the same of your likes and interests.

Steve is worthless. Minecraft is not. This is the false equivalence you're making. People don't play Minecraft because of Steve, because Steve is not a character. He is a replaceable player skin. Minecraft's gameplay is not tied to the "character". Steve is a skinnable model that can be any character you want. By himself he has no real pull. People don't care about Steve the way they care about Mario, Sonic or even Villager.
Trust me. People do not play FE because of the protag or AC because of the villager. They self insert. Which is what Steve is

So what? There were many popular votes on the ballot that got discarded for less. Steve was popular? Big deal, so were Shrek, Goku, Baldi, Freddy Fazbear and a billion other meme picks. The reason they never picked those characters, and something they can no longer claim, is because they had standards. And now that Steve is in, those standards are completely gone.
Steve is a video game character for one. And being owned by Microsoft, not really indie now.

I'm not looking at it wrong at all. Smash has many problems not the least of which is the trolling that comes from the top. But it has many gameplay issues, too many issues to count and that I have counted before. Steve is just the cherry on the mountain of BS.
But we are discussing the characters. And Steve is not really adding to those gameplay issues. If he is low teir, people wont use him. If he is upper, then they might. I see him being great for taunt parties.

It is not, in ANY WAY, "innocuous". It is the most toxic and deplorable thing possible coming from a place of PURE cynicism, contempt, and mockery. Steve is paramount disrespect to anyone who cared about this franchise in any way, of course, I haven't for a long time so I don't really let it bother me, this is just the final nail in the coffin.
How is it mockery? How is it cynicism? It is Steve. From a game called Minecraft. that sold **** tons of money. There is more to this then just hating steve.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
There's a lot to say here, and I agree with PsychoJosh PsychoJosh in many points but the main one is..
The toxicity did come solely from Nintendo's own decisions.
So I hope, by acknowledging that, that we don't put our force between us..
A Goemon fan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nintendo.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
There's a lot to say here, and I agree with PsychoJosh PsychoJosh in many points but the main one is..
The toxicity did come solely from Nintendo's own decisions.
So I hope, by acknowledging that, that we don't put our force between us..
A Goemon fan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nintendo.
I have no qualms or hate for anyone in this thread. I mostly want to understand. The reactions seems way to severe for something as small as a character. There could be many things that are wrong with smash. But I seriously doubt Steve is the main problem. It was just another for the pile. But given the effort put into the character and everything else, I dont see it as a cash grab. Nintendo is the richest company in japan at the moment.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Call of Duty, 250 Million ($15 Billion), Fortnite is a freak.. 350 million, revenue in whatever billions and record breaker of 8.3 million concurrent players. That monster is just way above the rest. Tetris seems out done though. So yeah, it's not Minecraft for sure.
I believe you. But I've heard people constantly bring up that Minecraft is the best selling video game of all time. I should have done deeper research. But no biggie.

PsychoJosh

As you guys can probably tell I am extremely irritated and exhausted right now. So I may say things that sound like they have more animosity than I mean. But I truly genuinely believe this thing terrible in every sense of the word. It is the biggest catastrophe that could ever have befallen this game and in a way it's kind of a godsend as I can now cull it from my life with no regrets. Nintendo chose this tangent and they can rot for all I care.

The time when I might've cared about Smash is over. So is my time speaking about it. It's time to move on.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As you guys can probably tell I am extremely irritated and exhausted right now. So I may say things that sound like they have more animosity than I mean. But I truly genuinely believe this thing terrible in every sense of the word. It is the biggest catastrophe that could ever have befallen this game and in a way it's kind of a godsend as I can now cull it from my life with no regrets. Nintendo chose this tangent and they can rot for all I care.

The time when I might've cared about Smash is over. So is my time speaking about it. It's time to move on.
Well, I wish you farewell and good luck in your future endeavors Josh. I'll probably be leaving the speculation scene very soon as well.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I have no qualms or hate for anyone in this thread. I mostly want to understand. The reactions seems way to severe for something as small as a character. There could be many things that are wrong with smash. But I seriously doubt Steve is the main problem. It was just another for the pile. But given the effort put into the character and everything else, I dont see it as a cash grab. Nintendo is the richest company in japan at the moment.
Great, love to know that..
Well, If you want understand you have to get PsychoJosh PsychoJosh feelings. It's not too severe, he wouldn't be that upset if it wasn't truly upsetting.
Steve is a problem because he quantifies all the wrongs of Nintendo in one hit. Like the absolute worst of Nintendo was summed by that inclusion.. notice, the "inclusion" itself, more than Steve.
The fact is many invest their feelings and emotions with these companies, it's human nature, getting attached. However, and unfortunately, many of these companies don't care about those emotions, and some do use them as a stepping stones. Nintendo lately is kinda being that.
Tampering with people's emotions is an awful disgusting thing, and definitely wrong. Nintendo's been using that to the extreme. That's PsychoJosh PsychoJosh 's point.

I believe you. But I've heard people constantly bring up that Minecraft is the best selling video game of all time. I should have done deeper research. But no biggie.
I did get my numbers searching the net :)

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord

It's all fine we (or I) get you, nothing to it.
You know, I was thinking, would Waluigi be a worse choice.. but I guess accepting a 1st party is much easier.
Well, I say do like what me and my friend do.. we stopped caring about Smash a looong time ago. He stopped fully and just plays the game to experience his character (the easy way out as you put it). I, still want my Goemon to be acknowledged. He is form the gaming world, so wherever he is now in that world, he must've met those somewhere in there.. even Steve.
We sure are brewing a discussion today are we gang.
Hey, we made it till page 30. Who would ever thought that was possible :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom