• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mystical Ninja/Ganbare Goemon - Goemon Team - (Goemon Mii costume. "ONLY $0.75")

GoeGoe

Smash Lord

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I do sometimes think of how Goemon would interact with other characters in Smash outside of fighting (if they ever did an actual story to the game).

The way I picture it he would initially be distrustful of foreigners but at one point he becomes a guiding beacon of bravery for some characters who really need the emotional support, As an example, Lucas is often seen as a crybaby and kind of a coward, so I think he'd be a good character to pair up with Goemon in a story to create an interesting dynamic. Goemon's admirable trait is his courage and the fact that he always plunges forward with his head held high, so he would help someone like Lucas overcome his fear against terrifying odds.

Goemon would jokingly call Lucas something like "aniki" and try to boost his courage when he sees that he's visibly frightened, saying things like "you can do it, Ryuka-no-Aniki! Tame your emptiness and become a hero!", melting his own prejudice against foreigners to help out Lucas. That sort of interaction would be really cool, it's something I always push for in Smash games, but I doubt it'd ever happen.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Umm.. you got some points right but that's not the way Goemon handle stuff, or his character. Goemon just doesn't care who he's dealing with, and he never bothered hiding to be distrustful (which's against his character). I mean have you seen a thief as flashy as Goemon? you can spot him a mile away.
He is courageous indeed, but his main trait is actually justice. And.. Lucas is too young to be called aniki, and too timid to be his companion, even a Belmont couldn't keep up. I'd rather him sticking with Mega Man, Mario and Simon. Nice story but honestly, it's selling our hero cheap.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Did you guys see the results of the Smash Mega Poll from Source Gaming?

Our boi wasn't anywhere near the top 50. But interesting enough Reimu made to 11th place and if such a big mainly exclusive Japanese character like Reimu could score that high than I think Goemon could too if we rally the troops together and push the Goemon brand harder and make more awareness for the franchise. Goemon will never get in unless we push hard for him.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Before getting discouraged.. this asks about fighter's pass 2.
The costume as good as it is, definitely hit Goemon fans hard (around the world). Many got discouraged thinking Goemon had his chance already, which I'm totally against. I for one did not vote in that poll, didn't know about it (or maybe forgot) and none of the Goemon fans I know brought it up.. so really, it shows nothing to our base. And honestly, the choices are filled and mixed with entries that what you'd call.. scooping the bottom.
We however are focusing on bringing him in. Rallying Goemon fans is a great idea.. if you have anything in mind please, let's know about it.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Umm.. you got some points right but that's not the way Goemon handle stuff, or his character. Goemon just doesn't care who he's dealing with, and he never bothered hiding to be distrustful (which's against his character). I mean have you seen a thief as flashy as Goemon? you can spot him a mile away.
I disagree. The main villain in Ganbare Goemon 2 is General McGuinness who is an obvious Hulk Hogan parody trying to take over Japan. The whole theme of the game's story is making fun of foreigners trying to meddle in Japan's affairs, so for that reason, I think Goemon would have a slight folksy xenophobic bent, but don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying that's terrible and he should change, I'm more of the mindset that this is an interesting character flaw of his. It could be something to explore, and with Smash I'm all about exploring all the myriad character interactions that could happen and trying to pick the most interesting ones. I'd write it in a way that undermines it and he learns to grow out of it. It's not supposed to be a big deal, it's just that's the way the character is portrayed. I think characters are more interesting when they have flaws.

He is courageous indeed, but his main trait is actually justice. And.. Lucas is too young to be called aniki, and too timid to be his companion, even a Belmont couldn't keep up.
That's the whole point. Goemon calling him "aniki" is supposed to be ironic, because it's supposed to boost his courage. Goemon's sense of justice, from what I've played in the games, is always about standing up for people who can't stand up for themselves, offering a helping hand to those who need it. This is a theme they tackle multiple times in the N64 games. I think Lucas would make a good counterpart simply because he is timid and kind of cowardly, as opposed to Goemon's courageous and hot-blooded nature. If Goemon's just paired up with characters who share his courage then there's no real interactive character dynamic since they're all motivated and agreed on the same thing.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Before getting discouraged.. this asks about fighter's pass 2.
The costume as good as it is, definitely hit Goemon fans hard (around the world). Many got discouraged thinking Goemon had his chance already, which I'm totally against. I for one did not vote in that poll, didn't know about it (or maybe forgot) and none of the Goemon fans I know brought it up.. so really, it shows nothing to our base. And honestly, the choices are filled and mixed with entries that what you'd call.. scooping the bottom.
We however are focusing on bringing him in. Rallying Goemon fans is a great idea.. if you have anything in mind please, let's know about it.
There were quite a good amout of great picks on that poll though. But I agree this doesn't effect Goemon's chances.

I disagree. The main villain in Ganbare Goemon 2 is General McGuinness who is an obvious Hulk Hogan parody trying to take over Japan. The whole theme of the game's story is making fun of foreigners trying to meddle in Japan's affairs, so for that reason, I think Goemon would have a slight folksy xenophobic bent, but don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying that's terrible and he should change, I'm more of the mindset that this is an interesting character flaw of his. It could be something to explore, and with Smash I'm all about exploring all the myriad character interactions that could happen and trying to pick the most interesting ones. I'd write it in a way that undermines it and he learns to grow out of it. It's not supposed to be a big deal, it's just that's the way the character is portrayed. I think characters are more interesting when they have flaws.

That's the whole point. Goemon calling him "aniki" is supposed to be ironic, because it's supposed to boost his courage. Goemon's sense of justice, from what I've played in the games, is always about standing up for people who can't stand up for themselves, offering a helping hand to those who need it. This is a theme they tackle multiple times in the N64 games. I think Lucas would make a good counterpart simply because he is timid and kind of cowardly, as opposed to Goemon's courageous and hot-blooded nature. If Goemon's just paired up with characters who share his courage then there's no real interactive character dynamic since they're all motivated and agreed on the same thing.
I picture McGuinness being a mix of Hulk Hogan and Matthew Perry. Matthew Perry because he seems to wanting to sell or give western technology to the Japanese at the beginning of the game in the game's intro.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
What does McGuinness being a Hulk Hogan parody has to do with Goemon being folksy xenophobic? The game didn't even imply that. If you've finished the game, Goemon says it at the end. He is clearly not a folksy xenophobic! Goemon games had these parodies by the ton, but that's not in Goemon's character. None of the gang actually.
Goemon is a leader and a tutor, he has no flaws to grow out of. That's how the character is meant to be.

That's just not the way you use the word aniki, it doesn't make sense. I'll give an irrational example here, say you wanted to encourage a kid, then you tell him "I'm your slave"! That'd be more confusing than encouraging.
Sure Goemon offer a helping hand to as many, but I don't think I've come across a time when he took someone in a personality improvement journey. Goemon's partner should be as agile, quick witted and fearless.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
There were quite a good amout of great picks on that poll though. But I agree this doesn't effect Goemon's chances.
Wasn't Goku there?

I picture McGuinness being a mix of Hulk Hogan and Matthew Perry. Matthew Perry because he seems to wanting to sell or give western technology to the Japanese at the beginning of the game in the game's intro.
He was selling lottery tickets.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
If he was he wasn't in the top 50.
Well, if ever, just says a lot about that poll.
There's a lot of factors that plays a role on who get selected, some are decent.. and some are plain pure marketing, which honestly the factors I detest most and of course not Goemon's strongest suit

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, if ever, just says a lot about that poll.
There's a lot of factors that plays a role on who get selected, some are decent.. and some are plain pure marketing, which honestly the factors I detest most and of course not Goemon's strongest suit
Still though, I think Goemon has the legacy and importance in Konami to make it into Smash. I think Goemon is just as important as Snake and Simon are to Konami.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Still though, I think Goemon has the legacy and importance in Konami to make it into Smash. I think Goemon is just as important as Snake and Simon are to Konami.
I have no question in my mind that he's more important. It's just that they're putting their weight on the western market more, that' all.

PsychoJosh

What does McGuinness being a Hulk Hogan parody has to do with Goemon being folksy xenophobic? The game didn't even imply that. If you've finished the game, Goemon says it at the end. He is clearly not a folksy xenophobic! Goemon games had these parodies by the ton, but that's not in Goemon's character. None of the gang actually.
Goemon is a leader and a tutor, he has no flaws to grow out of. That's how the character is meant to be.
A recurring theme in Goemon is the interference of foreign powers and their encroachment on Oedo, plus with the prevailing culture of Japan being xenophobic it would make sense for the character to be such as well, especially after McGuinness tried to take over which sowed his distrust. I really don't think we're going to agree on this. I think characters are more interesting when they have flaws and this would be an interesting character dynamic to explore.

That's just not the way you use the word aniki, it doesn't make sense. I'll give an irrational example here, say you wanted to encourage a kid, then you tell him "I'm your slave"! That'd be more confusing than encouraging.
Again, this is wrong. I know it because I once heard the Japanese comedian "Hard Gay" refer to a child as "aniki" ironically in one of his shows. I forget which show it was though.

I am aware that rhetorical irony doesn't really get used much in Japanese comedy, but I still think it could be used here. In any case, giving Goemon a counterpart who is his opposite is more interesting than just getting him to go along with all the other heroes and be lost in the crowd.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
A recurring theme in Goemon is the interference of foreign powers and their encroachment on Oedo, plus with the prevailing culture of Japan being xenophobic it would make sense for the character to be such as well, especially after McGuinness tried to take over which sowed his distrust. I really don't think we're going to agree on this. I think characters are more interesting when they have flaws and this would be an interesting character dynamic to explore.
Why a country behavior is tied to a personality?
The reason Goemon went after McG is because he kidnapped Omitsu.

Again, this is wrong. I know it because I once heard the Japanese comedian "Hard Gay" refer to a child as "aniki" ironically in one of his shows. I forget which show it was though.

I am aware that rhetorical irony doesn't really get used much in Japanese comedy, but I still think it could be used here. In any case, giving Goemon a counterpart who is his opposite is more interesting than just getting him to go along with all the other heroes and be lost in the crowd.
Well, as you say, a comedy from a comedian. If Goemon's aim is to make fun of Lucas, then yeah. I don't see how that's his character though.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
and they remembered it's been 15 years since the last Goemon game..
not in the place I'd like it to be though. Not interested in a Mahjong Goemon game.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Yes, yes and double yes.. and that's not even the Goemon one they've promised
Get yours now gang

This one is limited to Europe

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have no question in my mind that he's more important. It's just that they're putting their weight on the western market more, that' all.
I wish Nintendo would focus more on the eastern market as well than maybe Goemon would have a great chance of getting into Smash as well as Ayumi Tachibana.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I wish Nintendo would focus more on the eastern market as well than maybe Goemon would have a great chance of getting into Smash as well as Ayumi Tachibana.
The forgotten detective? Well ask yourself, what happened to Trace Memory.

STS are promising an even better cover art for the Goemon LP, stay tuned guys :)

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Yes, yes and double yes.. and that's not even the Goemon one they've promised
Get yours now gang

This one is limited to Europe
I bought it. should not have. money is getting low. but it has goemon on it. had to buy it.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I bought it. should not have. money is getting low. but it has goemon on it. had to buy it.
One of my reasons too .. though I hope I was clear enough that this is NOT the Goemon vinyl they promised, that one is coming soon. And they said it'll have a better cover art than this one, which I'm eagerly waiting for. If that was a mistake, you still have time to cancel your order and save your money for the better option.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
One of my reasons too .. though I hope I was clear enough that this is NOT the Goemon vinyl they promised, that one is coming soon. And they said it'll have a better cover art than this one, which I'm eagerly waiting for. If that was a mistake, you still have time to cancel your order and save your money for the better option.
I will buy that one also.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So with Min Min breaking the Spirit fan rule, how do you think that suits our boi's chances? I know he is a Mii costume, but I believe Mii costumes could get promoted too.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
So with Min Min breaking the Spirit fan rule, how do you think that suits our boi's chances? I know he is a Mii costume, but I believe Mii costumes could get promoted too.
I think there are no rules. If he wants to make a mii costume a fighter, he will. And given it was fp1 goemon was a mii costume, i think he is on the list. Mii costumes on fp2, less likely, but i still dont see it as a deconfirm given minmin.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Costumes to character is a proven transition by now. the thing is, we want it now, in Ultimate. We don't want to wait for another Smash, as the possibilities of that to happen gets slimmer.

I think there are no rules. If he wants to make a mii costume a fighter, he will. And given it was fp1 goemon was a mii costume, i think he is on the list. Mii costumes on fp2, less likely, but i still dont see it as a deconfirm given minmin.
I don't know if it's because I'm a fan or not, but honestly, the remaining 5 can't be filled with a better option than Goemon imo.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know if it's because I'm a fan or not, but honestly, the remaining 5 can't be filled with a better option than Goemon imo.
My predictions on who the remaining 5 are:

Geno
Crash
Lloyd
Dante or Phoenix Wright
Master Chief

Who I want:

Goemon
Krystal
Dixie Kong
Porky Minch
Shantae

Personally though if I was Sakurai, I would put Goemon, Ebisumaru, Sasuke, and Yae in 4 of the 5 slots. :)

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
My predictions on who the remaining 5 are:

Geno
Crash
Lloyd
Dante or Phoenix Wright
Master Chief

Who I want:

Goemon
Krystal
Dixie Kong
Porky Minch
Shantae

Personally though if I was Sakurai, I would put Goemon, Ebisumaru, Sasuke, and Yae in 4 of the 5 slots. :)
I'd put all 4 in one slot as I suggested way back.
If I to put a wish list? I have nothing beyond Goemon but.. if not in order, I'd say..
Goemon (all 4 as one character), Sparkster, Klonoa, Marina, Mater Higgins/Wonder Boy, Bonk/PC-Kid, Momotaru.. oh the list is long.
I'm all for classics, and totally not interested in any realistic characters.

Mentioning Crash. I'm not a series fan but the new looks didn't look right to me, at all. He's just not Crash. Not as crazy looking.. and I'm not sure what's the deal with the long ears. He looks tamed.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
GREAT NEWS! (in its own way)
A French furniture figure studio by the name "Neamedia Icons" (https://neamedia-icons.com/shop/) is considering making their next gaming IP in production.. yup, Goemon figures :) You might want to show your interest on their twitter feed (They speak English too). Glossy resin figures that either mono colored or fully, with prices starting at 25 Euros.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Fun!!? this look like the dream. Woah that was great. Needs a little bit more work but all in all great. You should lend a helping hand drag0nscythe drag0nscythe , you both might have what it takes to convince Konami. This has great potential for Goemon's chances
My models are nowhere near as good. But let me PM him.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Outstanding! Now if only the rest of the core cast like Ebisumaru, Sasuke, Yae, Impact, Wiseman, Omitsu, and main boss enemies could be implemented into this.

DO IT!!! JUST... DO IT!!!
I contacted him if needs aid with models. Also sent him all the environments I ripped thus far. going to work on ripping more once I get some more free time.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I contacted him if needs aid with models. Also sent him all the environments I ripped thus far. going to work on ripping more once I get some more free time.
Best wishes :)
I think this really shows the desire of a new Goemon game. Once you get something more polished, please pitch it to Konami (after removing their logo.. just in case). If I have something to add, I wish he'd push the head into the neck. Goemon's neck doesn't show that much.. even when used with a Mii. Other than that, I'll gladly help in any art stuff.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
More awesomeness.. I'll say, one of Goemon's 3 high moments (if you still haven't played it... what are you waiting for?)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
More awesomeness.. I'll say, one of Goemon's 3 high moments (if you still haven't played it... what are you waiting for?)
Ganbare Goemon 3 is probably my 2nd favorite Goemon game just behind Goemon's Great Adventure. It sucks Jurokubei didn't return alongside Bismaru in GGA. But than again. he punched her in the face and Team Rocket Bismaru's *** to the Lylat System.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Don’t know much about Goemon and Mystical Ninja, but dropping by to show my support. Hopefully Konami will make a new Mytical Ninja game and we get the old games on the Nintendo Switch!

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Don’t know much about Goemon and Mystical Ninja, but dropping by to show my support. Hopefully Konami will make a new Mytical Ninja game and we get the old games on the Nintendo Switch!
Woah hoo! Hello A.G.L. A.G.L. eons no see.. where you've been? How are you doing? Hopefully all fine and well :)
Thanks for the supporting words. We're working on it.. we're hoping that would be the case. Two important games in the series got fan translated, namely Goemon 2 and 3 for SFC/SNES. 4 is on the way.. if you'd like and have the time, might you consider any or both.

Oh and thanks for the ton of Likes :)

Last edited:

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Woah hoo! Hello A.G.L. A.G.L. eons no see.. where you've been? How are you doing? Hopefully all fine and well :)
Thanks for the supporting words. We're working on it.. we're hoping that would be the case. Two important games in the series got fan translated, namely Goemon 2 and 3 for SFC/SNES. 4 is on the way.. if you'd like and have the time, might you consider any or both.

Oh and thanks for the ton of Likes :)
Hello my friend sorry its been awhile, iv been ok. I usually hang out on Twitter, but recently its gotten too crazy to want to stay on there so I popped over to Smashboards to see how everyone is doing. How about you my friend how have you been?

Ooooh nice, of course whatever I can help in. Sounds interesting so im down. And hehe you're welcome buddy always here to support!

Top Bottom