• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mystical Ninja/Ganbare Goemon - Goemon Team - (Goemon Mii costume. "ONLY $0.75")

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Just to note, this thread has been more or less about Goemon more then smash. So if you abandon smash, just dont abandon us. We are about Goemon mainly in here.
Exactly! Here is where the Goemon gang come to chat to share their passion.
Don't get me wrong here. I'm not leaving this place because of anything you've done. You guys are great, and I do truly love Goemon and I'm glad to speak about it with you. But for me the separation of Smash from my life has to be total, or at least, as total as I can possibly make it. I just find it too upsetting to have in my life anymore.

Don't worry though, I'll be around. Particularly if any of you follow indie gaming or fighting games, you'll probably see me again. I have game projects in the works that I've mentioned before, one is a fighting game called GigaMaidens and one is a platformer about a catgirl named Kasha.

How is it mockery? How is it cynicism? It is Steve. From a game called Minecraft. that sold **** tons of money. There is more to this then just hating steve.
I will touch on this point a bit though. You see that PRECISELY is cynicism. It's using sales, or the amount of "gold harvested", to measure the quality of a thing, conflating quality with popularity/sales. Yes I acknowledge that Minecraft is one of the biggest selling games of all time. That is an objective truth and not in dispute in any way. But it doesn't make Steve a quality character, or even a character at all. The cynicism comes from the idea that, simply because of SALES, and nothing else, he is on par with stars like Mario and Sonic. Yes, Minecraft is very famous and made a lot of money. But that's not the only thing that matters. That fact alone does not make Steve a good character in of himself deserving of recognition. His game, perhaps. But not him. Steve himself doesn't deserve anything more than a Mii Costume, yet here he is fully playable. Again, remember the details of Steve's creation:

-The reason he looks the way he does is because his 3D model is developer placeholder graphics that never got replaced.
-He was once going to have an art style, done by an actual artist, with thought put into his design. But for whatever reason, Notch cut ties with this artist.
-Even his name is an afterthought, as Notch was once asked what the name of the character was on twitter, and he just picked the most generic name possible off the top of his head because he didn't really care.

So it is not in dispute that Steve is very famous and his game sold quite well. But that alone does not make a good character or a worthy addition. He is not and never will be on the levels of truly great iconic character designs like the rest of the ones we see in Smash. Sales do not make him a high quality character design, and the idea that they do, is PURE cynicism. There is no other way to describe it.

All the other characters have thought, care, artistry and passion put into their designs, done by professionals, by people who knew what they were doing, by people who truly had a vision. Steve does not have any of those things. He is not a quality character. Sales and quality are not directly correlated.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

YuriVolteHyuga

Smash Rookie
I really couldn't care less what you think. I'm not sorry for anything I said and I stand by every single word. I'm disgusted by people like you who enable Nintendo to keep up their mental/emotional abuse and enslavement, you might think I'm being dramatic but that is literally what it is. It is emotional manipulation to the highest degree. Smash fans have what is undoubtedly a form of stockholm syndrome, where through repeated blows to the face, black eyes and choking back on their blood, they still tell themselves that Nintendo loves them and that the next character will prove it. I hate to break it to you but Nintendo just sees you as a wallet with legs and they don't care about having any sort of standards of quality control or even appeasing you in the slightest. Smash doesn't exist to make you happy it exists to bleed characters dry of all their monetary worth. You realize that if Smash didn't exist we would've had a new F-Zero by now? A new Wario Land? All these series go to Smash to die because they realize they can save money and still appease a broader audience by just taking Captain Falcon and updating his model/animation a little bit every few years, much easier than spending money developing a brand new F-Zero game that would only appeal to a subset of the same audience. They don't care. Always chase the money. Don't waste time on small people and the things they actually want because all money is the same, and anything that would cost them more for less is a waste of time. You actually apologize for this mentality because you've confused corporate interest for your own interest and fallen into the same trap as any Smash fanboy.

There's no pettiness in any of my words, Steve being included in Smash is the absolute worst thing that could have happened and we are now in uncharted waters. I don't care how it brings "joy to millions of people for all ages for years", the same could be said about eating boogers. That doesn't make it any less repulsive and vile. And the truth is all the signs were there that Nintendo doesn't care and just sees you as wallets, the idea that a worthless character like Steve is on the same level of quality and deserves the same recognition as Terry or Banjo is absolutely disgusting in every way and just shows that it sees all people's opinions as equally disposable walking money envelopes young or old, they don't have any standards, in fact they keep constantly insulting the audience and know that they can get away with it because of people like you. You and I both saw the Byleth trailer, that encapsulates everything about how they regard their fans, they made fun of the idea of "too many swordsmen" being in Smash (a common complaint) and they hung a lampshade on it by adding another swordsman anyways. It's a slap in the face, it's basically telling people "we've heard your complaints, we just don't care", which is the same reasoning they used to put Steve into the game. So you have it wrong from the start, its developers ARE bad and malicious people because they KNEW that Steve would receive a huge negative backlash, and theystill put the effort in to reprogram EVERY SINGLE STAGE IN THE GAME to work with his gimmick, nothing like that comes out of a pure desire to make people happy but a desire to actively sow more seeds of disgust and loathing in the community.

What's it going to take to get you to realize they have nothing but contempt and mockery for you? Steve's inclusion is a sign announcing this to the heavens, it's like they're holding a big neon sign saying "I ed your mom" yet here you are still apologizing for their behavior. How much more blood can they draw from the stone? The arrogance and contempt you've displayed for me just because I go against the status quo of blindly swallowing every piece of bull that Nintendo craps out just because they put the effort in isn't really bothersome to me because it says everything I need to know about you.

This has never been about what I want. I haven't ever gotten a SINGLE THING I've wanted out of any of the DLC characters and I probably never will, and I've accepted that a long time ago. This is about the death of standards and the relentless trolling that comes from the top. Smash's community will never be anything but a toxic one and the reason is because Nintendo does most of the trolling themselves - as I said, they insult and berate their audience with their character choices while we scream into the wind. They don't care. First insult was Piranha Plant. Then Byleth with the "haha too many swordsmen" troll. And now Steve, the absolute worst character choice, the rock bottom metric by which all other scenarios could be judged, has now come to pass. Tell me how can Smash be anything BUT a toxic community when the toxicity comes from the VERY TOP? Nintendo does the trolling themselves so how can their community be expected to be anything but trolls? Nintendo has basically said that it's all okay to be angry and at each other's throats all the time. It's not like they don't know what they're doing because they're one of the biggest companies in the world. Yet they turn a blind eye to the constant trolling and infighting and even the problem of child grooming within the community because as I've said countless times they do not care in the slightest. If you do not see how Smash is a poison upon the earth then I pity you.
What emotional abuse and enslavement? What does Nintendo do to manipulate you? Adding content you don't like?
And I'm under no illusion that Nintendo cares about me at all and I do not love them either. I don't get attached to companies that way. They make games I'm interested in and I buy them. For Nintendo I'm just a wallet with legs and for me Nintendo is just a company making videogames That's all there is to it.
And Nintendo could literaly put Hitler, Trump or you in the game and none of these horrible choises would be "a punch in my face" because I wouldn't care that much. Videogames are a hobby not my emotional core.
So far I like their choices. Joker, Hero, Banjo, Byleth and Min Min were great, didn't care for Terry and care less for Steve but they can't all be winners I guess. And even if Smash doesn't exist to make me happy is serves that function adequately.

Believe me I would love a new F-Zero or Wario Land but what do you want me to do?
***** on Smashboards? Nintendo ain't reading.
Boycott Nintendo? That won't make a difference.
Not buy Steve? Ok, I won't.

Btw would you please eplain to my what is so repulsive and vhile about playing Minecraft?
Also selling DLC you don't like is not insulting anyone, while we're at it you've thrown more insults out then Nintendo ever will. You might feel insulted by swordman and Minecraft, but I have to break it to you. Feeling insulted does not mean being insulted! They made fun about to many swordsman because that is a stupid complaint that deserves to be made fun off.
Steve's inclusion pissed alot of people off but it made alot more people happy. So why do you think their is malice involved from Nintendo? Just because it makes you unhappy? Because you're the one that matters, no one else? Nintendo has it out for you. Sure, they made this whole game and all it's DLC to make you suffer. That is how important you are. I just want to know why they hate you so much. What do you think? What's their motivation and what do they get out of it? I thought they just care about your money, now the despise you? What is it?
Or just maybe you think that way because that's how you are. You are so filled with hate and contempt for people who enjoy different things then you, for people that get what they want while you don't that maybe you just think everyone is so hatefull as you are.

And you can crap on Nintendo all day long. Let's talk about their low quality analog sticks causing drifting, how they deny Switch ownsers a proper way to play retro games on their systems, how everything about Mario 3D All-Stars is even below utter lazyness or how they let many of their franshises just die. Hate on that all you want. I'll agree.
And yes, I have extreme contempt for you (Arrogace? Not more then you have displayed here.) but not because you are challenging the status quo or because you speak out against the Big N. I dislike you because you are disrespectful to people who enjoy Minecraft for no reason, because you talk like you are a victim that has been wronged and mistreated when no such thing has happened, because you tastlessly equate enjoying Smash Bros. with domestic abuse, and the arrogance you display towards eveeryone who disagrees with you.
And yes, I am disrespectful towards you because but when don't have any decency you don't get any from me.

PsychoJosh

What emotional abuse and enslavement? What does Nintendo do to manipulate you? Adding content you don't like?
And I'm under no illusion that Nintendo cares about me at all and I do not love them either. I don't get attached to companies that way. They make games I'm interested in and I buy them. For Nintendo I'm just a wallet with legs and for me Nintendo is just a company making videogames That's all there is to it.
And Nintendo could literaly put Hitler, Trump or you in the game and none of these horrible choises would be "a punch in my face" because I wouldn't care that much. Videogames are a hobby not my emotional core.
So far I like their choices. Joker, Hero, Banjo, Byleth and Min Min were great, didn't care for Terry and care less for Steve but they can't all be winners I guess. And even if Smash doesn't exist to make me happy is serves that function adequately.

Believe me I would love a new F-Zero or Wario Land but what do you want me to do?
***** on Smashboards? Nintendo ain't reading.
Boycott Nintendo? That won't make a difference.
Not buy Steve? Ok, I won't.

Btw would you please eplain to my what is so repulsive and vhile about playing Minecraft?
Also selling DLC you don't like is not insulting anyone, while we're at it you've thrown more insults out then Nintendo ever will. You might feel insulted by swordman and Minecraft, but I have to break it to you. Feeling insulted does not mean being insulted! They made fun about to many swordsman because that is a stupid complaint that deserves to be made fun off.
Steve's inclusion pissed alot of people off but it made alot more people happy. So why do you think their is malice involved from Nintendo? Just because it makes you unhappy? Because you're the one that matters, no one else? Nintendo has it out for you. Sure, they made this whole game and all it's DLC to make you suffer. That is how important you are. I just want to know why they hate you so much. What do you think? What's their motivation and what do they get out of it? I thought they just care about your money, now the despise you? What is it?
Or just maybe you think that way because that's how you are. You are so filled with hate and contempt for people who enjoy different things then you, for people that get what they want while you don't that maybe you just think everyone is so hatefull as you are.

And you can crap on Nintendo all day long. Let's talk about their low quality analog sticks causing drifting, how they deny Switch ownsers a proper way to play retro games on their systems, how everything about Mario 3D All-Stars is even below utter lazyness or how they let many of their franshises just die. Hate on that all you want. I'll agree.
And yes, I have extreme contempt for you (Arrogace? Not more then you have displayed here.) but not because you are challenging the status quo or because you speak out against the Big N. I dislike you because you are disrespectful to people who enjoy Minecraft for no reason, because you talk like you are a victim that has been wronged and mistreated when no such thing has happened, because you tastlessly equate enjoying Smash Bros. with domestic abuse, and the arrogance you display towards eveeryone who disagrees with you.
And yes, I am disrespectful towards you because but when don't have any decency you don't get any from me.
I have no interest in continuing this discussion with a brick wall any further. It's clear by you creating this account just to flame someone whose opinion you don't like, then bringing up Hitler and Trump apropos of nothing, that I am not replying to a person who is sane or rational in any way, shape, or form, and can't even be bothered to compose himself as such. I can't begin to count how many nitwits like yourself have come along with your self-aggrandizing BS attitude. You and people like you seem to believe that because you're too much of a smoothbrain to feel any strong emotions towards some repulsive practices in a video game that you are somehow better than or "above" anyone who does and only show up to act like a smug idiot at anyone who dares to show any emotion while criticizing your beloved Nintendo, which underscores that you're a generally ****ty person with a bad personality who doesn't understand how humans convey emotion. Kinda like a robot except really lame and more one-track minded. It's like clockwork - every time Nintendo does something really crappy, people inevitably get angry, and then self-important fanboy clowns like you start showing up, for no other reason than to act smug and mock people for getting angry. What's funny is that you still have the nerve to call anyone else hateful even though the whole reason you're here is because you have nothing better to do than to give people grief for speaking an opinion that differs from yours.

I've already explained my position numerous times, including answering what an atrocious character Steve is and how supremely unworthy he is. I don't care how many unthinking and unfeeling people "enjoy" his inclusion, just as many if not more people hate his inclusion and rightfully so. The harm caused by this cannot and will not ever be erased and I will not enable Nintendo to perform their emotional manipulation and cynical, soulless and idiotic cash grabbing attempts no matter how much brainless hyperconsumers like you speak to the contrary. I said it because it is what I know to be true. I don't need to justify it to you any further because you're not at all worth my time.

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord

Sort of off topic, but if only you knew what Nintendo did to me... nothing to do with the Steve thing as it is something personal. One day maybe I will mention it or if my lawyer allows me.

Also, everyone stop using the word "toxic," it is starting to lose meaning and sounds very "lefty."

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
GoeGoe GoeGoe , R RetrogamerMax

I made a Goemon discord server if you are interested. This is supposed to be an endless link. Pass it around to goemon fans if you know of any.
I don't know if I'll join as I never joined a discord and I'm not sure if I want too. But I will make awareness of this discord to Goemon fans around the Internet. I'll tell you if I want to join, but let me think about it.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Can you guys list convincing hard to argue points as why Goemon deserves to join Smash?
Give me your best shot, the more the better.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Can you guys list convincing hard to argue points as why Goemon deserves to join Smash?
1. Goemon is from a 35+ series of games that range from 1986 to 2012.
2. He is one of the many konami mascots as seen in all Konami's crossovers. Being waiwai world, bomberman r and konami cart racers.
3. While he is only relevant in japan , terry was only really big in latin america, hero in japan and steve minecraft with younger demographics.
4. When looking at konami art, he is always present usually near the front or in clear view.
5. Konami renewed the domain in 2018.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
1. He's been around since the NES days which practically makes him a NES icon.

2. The Ganbare Goemon series is one of Konami's oldest franchises being as old as Castlevania and Metal Gear practically making him as iconic as Simon and Snake in my opinion.

3. The Ganbare Goemon franchise has over 30 games in the series which are all really good games except for a couple of titles.

4. The Ganbare Goemon franchise would bring amazing music to Smash.

5. Goemon or all of the Goemon Gang would all be fun characters to play as in Smash as they not only have interesting tools and weapons that normal ninjas don't have, but also would have amazing Final Smash with Impact.

6. Ganbare Goemon has such a wide variety of colorful and unique characters to choose from to put in Goemon's Spirit board and to make as Mii costumes.

7. Goemon's inclusion would make more interested in checking out and playing the Ganbare Goemon series.

8. The Ganbare Goemon franchise has a wide variety of colorful and unique locations to choose from for a stage for Goemon.

9. We would have our first legit ninja in Smash.

10. He's my most wanted character.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Here is a list of all Konami own franchises I found through the Wiki. I went though each and counted the released games. This includes updated version of games as well as notable ports.

DDR
140​
Beatmania IIDX
112​
Jikkyō Powerful Pro Yakyū
88​
Bomberman
70​
Pro Evolution Soccer
69​
Tokimeki Memorial
56​
Yu0gi0oh
56​
Pop'n Music
50​
Momotaro Dentetsu
43​
Metal Gear
40​
Castlevania
37​
Goemon
34​
Frogger
32​
GuitarFreaks and DrumMania
32​
Puzzle Series
25​
Taisen Puzzle-Dama
22​
Silent Hill
21​
Twinbee
21​
Contra
19​
International Superstar Soccer
19​
Tengai Makyo
18​
Gradius
17​
MLP Power Pros
17​
Karaokie Revolution
16​
Parodius
16​
power pro kun
16​
Track and Field
16​
Shaman King
15​
Bashi Bashi
14​
Jubeat
14​
Bonk
12​
Suikoden
12​
Nectaris
11​
Time Pilot
10​
Anartic Adventure
9​
Refkec Beat
8​
WaiWaiWorld
7​
Momotaro Densetsu
7​
Bloody Roar
6​
Deca Soirts
6​
Rave Master
6​
Scramble
6​
Dungeon Explorer
5​
Road Fighter
5​
Silent Scope
5​
Adventure Island
4​
Airforce Delta
4​
Double Dribble
4​
F-1 Spirit
4​
Gameboy Wars
4​
GTI Club
4​
In the Groove
4​
Jigsawpuzzle
4​
Love Plus
4​
MAR
4​
NBA in the zone
4​
Otomedius
4​
Robopon
4​
Rocket Knight Adventures
4​
Zone of the Enders
4​
Cybotf Kuro-chan
3​
Death Jr
3​
Elebits
3​
Keyboard Mania
3​
Leathal Enforcers
3​
Vandal Hearts
3​
Boktai
2​
Coded Arms
2​
Dungeon Collection
2​
Kings Valley
2​
Kororinpa
2​
Milons Secret Castle
2​
Police 911
2​
Rumble Roses
2​
Salamander
2​
Sound Vortex
2​
Wii Puzzle
2​
Yie Ar Kung-Fu
2​
Cave Noire
1​
Crime Fighters
1​
Knightmare
1​
Meine Liebe
1​
Motocros Maniacs
1​
Neutopia
1​
Para Para paradise
1​
Poy Roy
1​
Thunder Cross
1​

This list shows the franchises owned by Konami as found on the Wiki page. These are franchises. so individual games may not be present. But the point is this. A company that has some value in a franchise will make more games in said series. If they find the property to be underperforming or useless, less games. I bring this up for two reasons. 1. To figure out which series Konami prioritizes and to see what can be considered "Konami" brand characters.

Break down. In the top 10, the number of gamers per series, 3 are dancing games. 1 is a dating sim, 1is Yu-gi-oh (which is a card game series), 2 are sports, 1 is a board game and then we have 2 actual "game" franchises. I am going to say for this top 10 that Jikkyō Powerful Pro Yakyū is very important to this discussion. The last two series are Metal Gear and Bomberman. (I do not count the dating sim. It will never happen in smash as a fighter.)

Here is the games list shrunk to game seriers

88​
Bomberman
70​
Metal Gear
40​
Castlevania
37​
Goemon
34​
Frogger
32​
Silent Hill
21​
Twinbee
21​
Contra
19​
Gradius
17​
Parodius
16​
Bonk
12​
Suikoden
12​

Look here. We have the Sports series being the top. and Goemon being in the top 5 of how many games they made. That is significant. Granted it is not much from frogger. But it is also pretty close to Castlevania's number also.

Why do all this. It is a very large series that Konami has that has thrived in japan up to 34 games. It was never localized because it is very japanese, but it is definitely in the Konami staple of characters. Anyone that wants to argue Goemon is to niche needs to realize that Konami made more goemon games then Silent Hill and Contra.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I will read and reply to your posts later, and thank you so much for those but this.. this needs to be shown now..
GAAAAAAUUUUUUUYYYYYYSSS... BEHOLD
Was that so hard, Nintendo.. konami??
It almost looks like he is in the game.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
2. He is one of the many konami mascots as seen in all Konami's crossovers. Being waiwai world, bomberman r and konami cart racers.
3. While he is only relevant in japan , terry was only really big in latin america, hero in japan and steve minecraft with younger demographics.
4. When looking at konami art, he is always present usually near the front or in clear view.
Great points, I'll give my thoughts..
1- Actually, Goemon's last official game is 2017. The Yukihime/SNES port in SFC Mini
2- He IS Konami's mascot ever since he was brought up to a certain point, roughly more than half Konami's life in gaming.
3- He is relative in many other parts of the world, including Latin America.. Europe, Far East, Middle East too
4- Fun fact, he's still one of the most beloved Konami characters, and rumors say, he's the owner's most favorite. (doesn't show that way though)
5- Ah, nothing came out of that though

So, I'd say points 1 and 3 are solid, thanks. If you have more please throw'em at me :)
1. He's been around since the NES days which practically makes him a NES icon.

2. The Ganbare Goemon series is one of Konami's oldest franchises being as old as Castlevania and Metal Gear practically making him as iconic as Simon and Snake in my opinion.

3. The Ganbare Goemon franchise has over 30 games in the series which are all really good games except for a couple of titles.

4. The Ganbare Goemon franchise would bring amazing music to Smash.

5. Goemon or all of the Goemon Gang would all be fun characters to play as in Smash as they not only have interesting tools and weapons that normal ninjas don't have, but also would have amazing Final Smash with Impact.

6. Ganbare Goemon has such a wide variety of colorful and unique characters to choose from to put in Goemon's Spirit board and to make as Mii costumes.

7. Goemon's inclusion would make more interested in checking out and playing the Ganbare Goemon series.

8. The Ganbare Goemon franchise has a wide variety of colorful and unique locations to choose from for a stage for Goemon.

9. We would have our first legit ninja in Smash.

10. He's my most wanted character.
Also great points, here're my thoughts..
1- That's a solid one.
2- Actually the Ganbare Goemon series is older than both Castlevania and Metal gear. If we're talking characters then 3 precede Goemon. Frogger, Penta and then Moai Head. Goemon however beats all in games count.
3- great point and actually 35+. If we count ports it's over 50.
4- I mean who could argue with that.. solid.
5- We wouldn't bring a character for its Final Smash, but no arguing that they would be the most fun.
6- Another great one that didn't occur to me.. (honestly, as I don't play much of that board. But I'd definitely would love to collect every last one of the series).
7- That one is for us fans, and why we want him in. This is his survival line.
8- I wouldn't say this is an advantage as all characters share that.
9- I'd love to say that but he's actually a thief. He was never referred to as ninja in Japan, just the localization. The only real ninja in the group is Yae.
10- Well, that's definitely not arguable, haha.

Well, 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 are solid and great, thanks. If you have more please throw'em at me..
Here is a list of all Konami own franchises I found through the Wiki. I went though each and counted the released games. This includes updated version of games as well as notable ports.

DDR
140​
Beatmania IIDX
112​
88​
Bomberman
70​
Pro Evolution Soccer
69​
Tokimeki Memorial
56​
Yu0gi0oh
56​
Pop'n Music
50​
Momotaro Dentetsu
43​
Metal Gear
40​
Castlevania
37​
Goemon
34​
Frogger
32​
GuitarFreaks and DrumMania
32​
Puzzle Series
25​
Taisen Puzzle-Dama
22​
Silent Hill
21​
Twinbee
21​
Contra
19​
International Superstar Soccer
19​
Tengai Makyo
18​
Gradius
17​
MLP Power Pros
17​
Karaokie Revolution
16​
Parodius
16​
power pro kun
16​
Track and Field
16​
Shaman King
15​
Bashi Bashi
14​
Jubeat
14​
Bonk
12​
Suikoden
12​
Nectaris
11​
Time Pilot
10​
Anartic Adventure
9​
Refkec Beat
8​
WaiWaiWorld
7​
Momotaro Densetsu
7​
Bloody Roar
6​
Deca Soirts
6​
Rave Master
6​
Scramble
6​
Dungeon Explorer
5​
Road Fighter
5​
Silent Scope
5​
Adventure Island
4​
Airforce Delta
4​
Double Dribble
4​
F-1 Spirit
4​
Gameboy Wars
4​
GTI Club
4​
In the Groove
4​
Jigsawpuzzle
4​
Love Plus
4​
MAR
4​
NBA in the zone
4​
Otomedius
4​
Robopon
4​
Rocket Knight Adventures
4​
Zone of the Enders
4​
Cybotf Kuro-chan
3​
Death Jr
3​
Elebits
3​
Keyboard Mania
3​
Leathal Enforcers
3​
Vandal Hearts
3​
Boktai
2​
Coded Arms
2​
Dungeon Collection
2​
Kings Valley
2​
Kororinpa
2​
Milons Secret Castle
2​
Police 911
2​
Rumble Roses
2​
Salamander
2​
Sound Vortex
2​
Wii Puzzle
2​
Yie Ar Kung-Fu
2​
Cave Noire
1​
Crime Fighters
1​
Knightmare
1​
Meine Liebe
1​
Motocros Maniacs
1​
Neutopia
1​
Para Para paradise
1​
Poy Roy
1​
Thunder Cross
1​

This list shows the franchises owned by Konami as found on the Wiki page. These are franchises. so individual games may not be present. But the point is this. A company that has some value in a franchise will make more games in said series. If they find the property to be underperforming or useless, less games. I bring this up for two reasons. 1. To figure out which series Konami prioritizes and to see what can be considered "Konami" brand characters.

Break down. In the top 10, the number of gamers per series, 3 are dancing games. 1 is a dating sim, 1is Yu-gi-oh (which is a card game series), 2 are sports, 1 is a board game and then we have 2 actual "game" franchises. I am going to say for this top 10 that Jikkyō Powerful Pro Yakyū is very important to this discussion. The last two series are Metal Gear and Bomberman. (I do not count the dating sim. It will never happen in smash as a fighter.)

Here is the games list shrunk to game seriers

88​
Bomberman
70​
Metal Gear
40​
Castlevania
37​
Goemon
34​
Frogger
32​
Silent Hill
21​
Twinbee
21​
Contra
19​
Gradius
17​
Parodius
16​
Bonk
12​
Suikoden
12​

Look here. We have the Sports series being the top. and Goemon being in the top 5 of how many games they made. That is significant. Granted it is not much from Frogger. But it is also pretty close to Castlevania's number also.

Why do all this. It is a very large series that Konami has that has thrived in japan up to 34 games. It was never localized because it is very japanese, but it is definitely in the Konami staple of characters. Anyone that wants to argue Goemon is to niche needs to realize that Konami made more Goemon games then Silent Hill and Contra.
The first list had an unrelated mistake. Knightmare has 2 games.. but moving on.
I thank your 2nd list, and you'll like to know that Castlevania only went above the Goemon series in 2014, while the Goemon series been on hiatus since 2005, almost a decade (9yrs) difference and it barely caught up with it. Also, on further investigation the Goemon series have mobile game that we don't know of. I think.. maybe.. it's put the series in a 39 spot.. albeit, they might be ports. Still, the series is above Castlevania to me.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
As an actual Latin American, I want to say that Terry not only is known here, but also in Europe and Asia. I really dislike it that people only associate him with us, Sakurai has stated why he is in. Not saying it is racism but sort of. And yes, Goemon also has fans in Mexico and Latin America. And we are not "Latinos" we are Latin Americans and Hispanics. French, Spaniards, Romanians and Italians are Latin Europeans.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
As an actual Latin American, I want to say that Terry not only is known here, but also in Europe and Asia. I really dislike it that people only associate him with us, Sakurai has stated why he is in. Not saying it is racism but sort of. And yes, Goemon also has fans in Mexico and Latin America. And we are not "Latinos" we are Latin Americans and Hispanics. French, Spaniards, Romanians and Italians are Latin Europeans.
Been saying that for a long time.
Well, do you have more points I could add in favor of Goemon?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Very fair. I will agree that Terry is rather large mostly everywhere. I was trying to make a point, but I am certain I could articulate it better. I dont think I said "Latinos" mainly because of what you said. There is a large diverse group of individuals in that region.

As for Terry, I knew he was. I have the King of Fighters releases on the PS2. I was a huge fan of Mark of the Wolves. Terry was everywhere. I agree, let me think of a better way to phrase that post. I do think though that the intent is correct. With Hero, Terry and Banjo, all three have world wide recognition, but tend to be more popular in certain regions. But yes, they are not region specific choices.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Very fair. I will agree that Terry is rather large mostly everywhere. I was trying to make a point, but I am certain I could articulate it better. I dont think I said "Latinos" mainly because of what you said. There is a large diverse group of individuals in that region.

As for Terry, I knew he was. I have the King of Fighters releases on the PS2. I was a huge fan of Mark of the Wolves. Terry was everywhere. I agree, let me think of a better way to phrase that post. I do think though that the intent is correct. With Hero, Terry and Banjo, all three have world wide recognition, but tend to be more popular in certain regions. But yes, they are not region specific choices.
I don't think he meant it that way, nor you did either.
I think he's simply trying to say there's a bigger audience than thought in Latin American, as diverse as those in Europe.
At least that's what I got.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I agree with you. I never understood why French, Italian, and Romanian Americans are never called Latinos as well since the word Latino refers to people who speak a Latin based language. I don't understand why we are not just called Mestizos instead as that's a more accurate term for us Hispanics since most of us have a mix of European, Native American, and African ancestry.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I agree with you. I never understood why French, Italian, and Romanian Americans are never called Latinos as well since the word Latino refers to people who speak a Latin based language. I don't understand why we are not just called Mestizos instead as that's a more accurate term for us Hispanics since most of us have a mix of European, Native American, and African ancestry.
I think it's because some people can't tell the difference, and they also don't bother checking beyond it. Unfortunately that's what you call generalizing. Sure it doesn't give each his own deserved recognition, but it's fine if it's based on good intent. That's people for you.. you can try to make sure you don't do the same to others.. though you'll end up understanding why they do it, it's not as easy as you think, especially if you're not in your own region.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So what you guys think about a Ganbare Goemon Spirit event? I think it would be cool. I think it's usually 4 or 5 characters in one so we could have:

Goemon
Ebismaru
Sasuke
Yae
Impact

In it. I would add Wise Man, Omitsu, Plasma Man as well, but that might be too much for a non Challenger Pack Spirit event.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
So what you guys think about a Ganbare Goemon Spirit event? I think it would be cool. I think it's usually 4 or 5 characters in one so we could have:

Goemon
Ebismaru
Sasuke
Yae
Impact

In it. I would add Wise Man, Omitsu, Plasma Man as well, but that might be too much for a non Challenger Pack Spirit event.
1602644742187.png

Why not Lin, Hadzuki or Nana?

GoeGoe

Smash Lord

Goemon
Ebismaru
Sasuke
Yae
Impact

Anything Goemon would be cool :)
View attachment 289225

Why not Lin, Hadzuki or Nana?
Wow! nice work drag0nscythe drag0nscythe , really nice :)
Where's Hitoe and Suzu?.. err.. and who's that last one? it totally escapes me.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I don't know if you already know this, but if you had any hopes for characters from Level-5 joining Smash then don't hold on to it. Unfortunately this beloved studio is leaving the whole west side region with no plans of localizing anything outside of Japan currently (Yokai Watch, Enazuma-11, Ni No Kuni, Snack World, Professor Layton.. etc.). This is such an unfortunate event, just like someone we are all fighting for.
Another I think you shouldn't hold hopes for (albeit I don't think any is), is someone from Monster Hunter. Sony just announced a movie based on it, and it's used to promote the PlayStaion 5

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know if you already know this, but if you had any hopes for characters from Level-5 joining Smash then don't hold on to it. Unfortunately this beloved studio is leaving the whole west side region with no plans of localizing anything outside of Japan currently (Yokai Watch, Enazuma-11, Ni No Kuni, Snack World, Professor Layton.. etc.). This is such an unfortunate event, just like someone we are all fighting for.
Another I think you shouldn't hold hopes for (albeit I don't think any is), is someone from Monster Hunter. Sony just announced a movie based on it, and it's used to promote the PlayStaion 5
I already heard about Level 5 not having future plans to bring anything over to the west anymore. I didn't know about the Monster Hunter movie though. Not really interested in any Level 5 characters or Monster Hunter getting into Smash. I do feel sorry for supporters for those characters though.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I've seen a surprising number of people expect Monster Hunter next for some reason. It seems to have more evidence against it than for.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've seen a surprising number of people expect Monster Hunter next for some reason. It seems to have more evidence against it than for.
Yep. Rathalos is in the game as a boss so I think that's a soft deconfirmation for Monster Hunter. I think with Rathalos being in the game and Resident Evil getting Spirits, if we are getting another Capcom rep I think it's going to be Dante or Phoenix Wright.

Top Bottom