• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My young link needs help

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
So I just recently switched my secondary to young link but I need help with approaches his recovery options defensive strats should i be short hop down air L canceling or short hop nair fast fall l cancel stuff like that I know his killing moves from recently maining link in smash 64 but what are his spiking moves and how should I be playing him

TriNewton

Smash Cadet
Young Link's forward air in Melee is not as much a kill move as Link's forward air in 64 is. Try down smash on fastfallers/down air on floaties. Do not approach with a shffl dair- the end lag will give your opponent an opportunity to punish you.

He has a spiking move that is extremely difficult to pull off. If you come below someone with the down air, it will spike them.
https://youtu.be/ePwt3qiSrcE?t=5m49s

Also, holy crap you play a lot of characters.

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
it depends on your playing style. if you wish to be more passive, then you want to chuck out a lot of bombs and boomerangs. then when an opening is presented throw out an arieal, nair is very good for this. he has 2 main recovery options, tether and up b. just change it up so it isnt easy to read you. and young link and 64 link are not the same characters. up b doesnt kill, fair isnt as good, bombs are multi-hit, nair is a better kill move, same with down smash

Diabolical PIe

Smash Apprentice
Fair is actually an awesome combo move and great spacing too. Fade away shffl fairs are great at walling people out. I like to do that and then f-tilt immediately if they don't respect my space.

Young Link is a character that requires a lot of adaptability between matchups. Against floaty characters, your best bet is to play slow and campy, watching and waiting for openings. Against fastfallers, you can't camp as easily, and have to play more of a midrange game. A strong neutral is key to a good Young Link.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
thanks for all the help being a Marth and Mewtwo main I don't really use projectiles which I need to get into the habbit of

Top Bottom