• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Smash Corner Presents: Extended Dash Dancing!

In Super Smash Bros. Melee, dash dancing was one of the game's most useful techniques. It was an important part of the neutral game that allowed for spacing mindgames. However, it was changed in Brawl and random tripping hindered its usefulness. Dash dancing is back once again in Smash 4, and it can be combined with fox trotting to maximize its effectiveness. Join My Smash Corner as they teach Extended Dash Dancing/Dance Trotting!

To see more great videos from My Smash Corner, check out their DI Tutorial, Lucas Combos, Dealing with Projectiles Tutorial, or go to their Youtube channel.​
Pokemon64ism is excited to see how Extended Dash Dancing will affect the Smash 4 metagame. You can keep up ith

Comments

Inb4 that super saiyan guy comes in says this takes no tech skill even though this requires more inputs than normal dash dancing in Melee/PM

Tripping big deal, the game has many other amazing entities to fix that problem. Once again Brawl has this which is called a Pivot dash or something like that (need to find the correct name for this trick). Thanks.

Tripping big deal, the game has many other amazing entities to fix that problem. Once again Brawl has this which is called a Pivot dash or something like that (need to find the correct name for this trick). Thanks.
It really doesn't. The randomness in which tripping occurred prevented the issue from having a practical solution, there was simply no work around that problem; no, there were no "amazing" fixes either. You just hoped it wouldn't happen to you and if it did there was nothing you could do about it.

Once again Brawl has this which is called a Pivot dash or something like that
So...? The job of this video is to convey information to people who don't know about it, help others as a community, not keeping one's mouth shut about how one can improve their game. Or did you forget that this wasn't aimed specifically at you again? Oh silly.

Last edited:
This video is meant to inform others of the technique not to stroke your ego.
It's not a personal ego stroke, it's pointing out the constant rebranding and incorrect crediting of something that's existed for a long time. If the creator knows it already exists, then it's an ego stroke on their end. If they didn't know, then it's simply a lack of prior information.

I have no issue with teaching the masses things they missed out from previous iterations as a reintroduction to the game, but I get frustrated when I see new multiple labels for the same technique. That shows a lack of consistency in the community and makes things more confusing on a larger scale. This is like the third time I've seen a video with this technique, expecting something new, but instead got the same thing with a different name.

:093:

Last edited:
It's not a personal ego stroke, it's pointing out the constant rebranding and incorrect crediting of something that's existed for a long time. If the creator knows it already exists, then it's an ego stroke on their end. If they didn't know, then it's simply a lack of prior information.

I have no issue with teaching the masses things they missed out from previous iterations as a reintroduction to the game, but I get frustrated when I see new multiple labels for the same technique. That shows a lack of consistency in the community and makes things more confusing on a larger scale. This is like the third time I've seen a video with this technique, expecting something new, but instead got the same thing with a different name.

They did not say they founded the technique. The sole purpose of the channel is to inform the viewers of techniques and mechanics of Smash 4 not about discovering new tech . There tends to be multiple ways of saying many different techniques the Smash community has always been inconsistent.

Last edited:
They did not say the found it they are only showing its existance to those that do not know of it. There tends to be multiple was of saying many different techniques the Smash community has always been inconsistent.
Fair enough that this isn't the first example of this happening... It's sort of an issue I have in general but I suppose that's the nature of the game when Daddy Sakurai didn't intend for any of these things to happen outside of his instruction manual.

I know they aren't claiming it as discovering it themselves, which is why I said it's more likely a lack of prior information on their part.

Perhaps I just wish there was a better way to document this. A proper database which catalogues tech for each Smash game and what carried over between versions.

I apologize if I expressed disgruntlement toward this video in particular, but it was more of a window for me to express my qualms.

Imagine if Smash 4 had literally wave dashing and we called it something else...

Yeah... That's basically happening all the time with Brawl and Smash 4 tech.

Brawl's isn't as useful when the fact you could trip ultimately had risk to even imputing a dash input could cost you a lot.

Still I like it more when it is used to inform people who may not know this exists.

It really doesn't. The randomness in which tripping occurred prevented the issue from having a practical solution, there was simply no work around that problem; no, there were no "amazing" fixes either. You just hoped it wouldn't happen to you and if it did there was nothing you could do about it.

So...? The job of this video is to convey information to people who don't know about it, help others as a community, not keeping one's mouth shut about how one can improve their game. Or did you forget that this wasn't aimed specifically at you again? Oh silly.
I bet you haven't completed anything in Brawl (or achieved what you wanted). This is where I wont take your assumptions seriously anymore "there are no amazing fixes either".

Have you even played Brawl competitively? Or are you just a new Smash-4 player trying to get "street game cred" by joining everyone else to believe Brawl has nothing useful. You have no idea how wrong and pitiful your comment is.

My point? My point is Brawl had what Smash-4 already had and no many players like Mr.R used the Pivot dash dance effectively. You just assume which will never take you or anything you do far. Thanks.

Tripping still makes it worse though and affects the game in a negative way.

You can't ignore that it makes dash dancing worse in Brawl just because that random mechanic exists.

Inb4 that super saiyan guy comes in says this takes no tech skill even though this requires more inputs than normal dash dancing in Melee/PM
Melee players say there is no tech skill in smash4, but then when there is something that requires a lot of inputs and timing they say: "well thats just dumb that you have to do all those inputs to do that" -_-

I bet you haven't completed anything in Brawl (or achieved what you wanted). This is where I wont take your assumptions seriously anymore "there are no amazing fixes either".

Have you even played Brawl competitively? Or are you just a new Smash-4 player trying to get "street game cred" by joining everyone else to believe Brawl has nothing useful. You have no idea how wrong and pitiful your comment is.

My point? My point is Brawl had what Smash-4 already had and no many players like Mr.R used the Pivot dash dance effectively. You just assume which will never take you or anything you do far. Thanks.
I agree with what you are saying but it really isn't that big a deal. And randomly bashing Smash 4 players doesn't solve anything.

Oh hey a video on this. Nice one! It's funny because I was actually practicing this for a few days too I hope this is used a lot in tourneys.

I was hoping to see nice comments about how people apply this technique in their matches but instead I see the typical Brawl vs Melee vs Sm4sh war... . Seriously, most of the Brawl veterans know for a fact that like 80% of the smash 4 tech skill was in Brawl but posting such statement here will bring nothing good. @ Camalange Camalange , I know it can sometimes be frustrating to see people claiming to discover new "techs" that were in previous games (trust me I also get a bit mad) but you will rarely achieve anything positive by saying it since most people are stubborn and almost never listen (plus it's kinda irrelevant don't you think?).

I was hoping to see nice comments about how people apply this technique in their matches but instead I see the typical Brawl vs Melee vs Sm4sh war... . Seriously, most of the Brawl veterans know for a fact that like 80% of the smash 4 tech skill was in Brawl but posting such statement here will bring nothing good. @ Camalange Camalange , I know it can sometimes be frustrating to see people claiming to discover new "techs" that were in previous games (trust me I also get a bit mad) but you will rarely achieve anything positive by saying it since most people are stubborn and almost never listen (plus it's kinda irrelevant don't you think?).
Then I'm supposed to feign ignorance and promote misinformation simply because it's easier?

Oh well. I'm done stressing the point. Probably was unnecessary but I'm over it (for the time being).

Then I'm supposed to feign ignorance and promote misinformation simply because it's easier?

Oh well. I'm done stressing the point. Probably was unnecessary but I'm over it (for the time being).

Not because it's easier but because you are not winning anything by telling stubborn people irrelevant details. Continue to "tell the truth" for every single detail if you want to but trust me, what happened in this thread will repeat itself several times.

You are making lots of assumptions here, sweetheart. But to answer your question, yes, I played Brawl competitively and yes, I completed it's achievements. Did you actually read what I said? I don't think Brawl doesn't have anything useful, in fact I like Brawl more than Melee, merely that it doesn't have a workaround for tripping. So if you trip, you trip, there is nothing you can do to alleviate that since it's chance is random, no "amazing" fix either. If I'm wrong at least you could point out how but predictably you wasted your time dancing around the point, again, not bothering with providing a straight answer and rambling instead, again, and resorting to petty attacks rather than to address the argument, yet again. It doesn't surprise me though.
So if I'm wrong at least you could respond with a coherent sentence. I know I'm not though. *cue desperate rebuttals trying to insult my intelligence and failing to address the point of the argument*

Last edited:
I confess I am a bit crestfallen how this trick is a bit tougher to pull off consistently without some very twitchy thumbs... the controller I use at the moment has very sensitive analog sticks, in that I don't need to hit the left one all the way to get the full input.

controller johns aside, I do hope I can get this down as a Little Mac main...

Nice video...
*gif snipped*
Unrelated, but something about that gif's art style looks familiar, but I can't quite place it...

Last edited:
Why are people always coming up for a new name for something that is already established.
This has been called a dash dance pivot for a while,
A WHILE. Where did extended dash dance come from? The dude who made this video obviously seen the dance trotting video since the only time I have heard that name was for a smash 4 tutorial. So why did he proceed to try to create a new name for old tech? All this does is cause confusion in discussions with newer to older players and makes people think something is new when it isn't(Click bait) please stop.

Dang! I was playing against somebody who was using these techniques but at the time, I couldn't figure out why I was having such a hard time! I saw them dash-dancing and I was not amused, and rather I didn't see it as much a useful tactic, just tech skill spam. But now I see!--dash dancing combined with fox trotting and mixing those two things together in odd combinations is great for mindgames. Gosh! This should be a fun development in the meta as we all grow with it. This also seems to sort of help avoid those silly situations where a somebody with little game/meta knowledge is getting lucky hard reads on you and using rolls a lot. By utilizing the mobility this gives you, and also by possibly tricking the opponent to throw out moves, you can set up more opportunities to tell your opponent YOU'RE OPEN! :)

You are making lots of assumptions here, sweetheart. But to answer your question, yes, I played Brawl competitively and yes, I completed it's achievements. Did you actually read what I said? I don't think Brawl doesn't have anything useful, in fact I like Brawl more than Melee, merely that it doesn't have a workaround for tripping. So if you trip, you trip, there is nothing you can do to alleviate that since it's chance is random, no "amazing" fix either. If I'm wrong at least you could point out how but predictably you wasted your time dancing around the point, again, not bothering with providing a straight answer and rambling instead, again, and resorting to petty attacks rather than to address the argument, yet again. It doesn't surprise me though.
So if I'm wrong at least you could respond with a coherent sentence. I know I'm not though. *cue desperate rebuttals trying to insult my intelligence and failing to address the point of the argument*
Your comment was kind of difficult to read. Perhaps a simple space every three or four sentences would suffice quite, nicely?Tripping? Okay then Smash-4 major flaw is nerf-ed towards certain options, and does that keep players from playing the game?

The answer is no that problem doesn't keep them away (yet the situation is a huge problem that many players face to try to play Smash-4 in general). Same goes for Melee ("game is too fast and too dumb for me").

Some person wrote that sentence, but does that, problem? Make others not want to play Melee? No it doesn't, Melee's incredible technical game-play and Meta-game evolution fixes that problem (though Melee is perfect or almost flawless in my opinion).

Brawl is no exception and frankly shouldn't nor be taken seriously with Smash-4. Smash-4 has no techniques or has some techniques that Brawl already carried. Next Brawl wasn't nerf-ed nor customized by Nintendo themselves (even though Brawl was fine without them and didn't nor will Brawl ever need a company like that).

So basically Brawl has everything Smash-4 has towards mechanics. Now for Brawl's flaws and, Major? Hit stun pretty low (though some unique setups can make them inescapable), tripping (pretty sure in real life someone would trip anyways). So Nintendo kind of made the game, real life-like? Finally very strong and advantage characters like Snake, Ice Climbers, Falco, Diddy and Metaknight.

Okay now to Smash-4, Diddy, Sheik, Luigi, Rosalina, and other characters I'm not aware of nor do I care to analyze. So Smash-4 has "OP" characters as well.

Alright, so is tripping the only problem Brawl has then as in mechanics, seems so? Well for me personally it's fine I can live with a realistic game, right Nintendo trying to develop that concept, or? Thanks.

Dang! I was playing against somebody who was using these techniques but at the time, I couldn't figure out why I was having such a hard time! I saw them dash-dancing and I was not amused, and rather I didn't see it as much a useful tactic, just tech skill spam. But now I see!--dash dancing combined with fox trotting and mixing those two things together in odd combinations is great for mindgames. Gosh! This should be a fun development in the meta as we all grow with it. This also seems to sort of help avoid those silly situations where a somebody with little game/meta knowledge is getting lucky hard reads on you and using rolls a lot. By utilizing the mobility this gives you, and also by possibly tricking the opponent to throw out moves, you can set up more opportunities to tell your opponent YOU'RE OPEN! :)
Who was it and was it a Marth that switched to Falcon and back to Marth? Was the Marth and Falcon Gold? If so that was me, but if not meh. Anyway Marth, Little Mac, and Falcon have the easiest dashes to do this with. In fact I just tap left or right as fast as I can... Yes this shouldn't be spammed. This should be used in along side with the normal shield stopping and short hopping.

Top Bottom