• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Smash Corner: Lagless Ledge Get-Up in Smash 4

MySmashCorner's latest youtube video covers a technique he discovered early in the 3DS version of Smash 4, but could not reliably recreate until just recently--the ability to get up from the ledge without lag, letting the player act as soon as they are back on stage. In the video, he gives instructions on how to execute this new tech, and lists what known characters can take advantage of it, and on what stages.

This tech seems incredibly useful, and the number of characters that can use it is growing as more players test it on more characters. How will this new tech impact Smash 4? On what stages would this tech be most useful? Join the conversation below!

Comments

You may have edited this article Smashboards, but don't think you've bested me yet! I still have your dirty little secret:

Untitled.png

You guys are secret Undertale fans, as this accidental thumbnail for this article proved.

Welcome to the fandom.

As for the video itself, the tech seems pretty useful overall, so pro Smashers can find some mileage out of it to outperform others with it. Seems like it could help change the meta a little.

I'm fairly certain every character could do it and suffer soft landing lag (2 frames for every character) with unique timings. But it becomes questionably semantic whether the lag cancel is, in fact, "instant". His footage shows Little Mac several frames into his double jump animation, making his much less instant than Marth. I even tried with Bowser and got it, but his is just as slow, if not slower than Mac's.

Saw this earlier, seems pretty cool. I will try to do it with my mains when I get back into playing this game seriously, but I'm playing other games right now.

I wonder if this works for Sonic (My main) as well. I will definitely use this technique once I master it.

Also, Greninja and C. Falcon are some of my best characters and I'm glad this works for them.

If your thumb isnt fast enough to perform perfect pivots, this probably wont be possible. Although my perfect pivots are flawless, something about this is wierd. I can perform this tech like 25% of the time. So im assuming its the timing of my jump. (Im using Marth on Battlefield)

Last edited:
Another vital advanced technique I can't perform

Wonderful.
Not super vital. Since as of now the only legal stages it can be performed on are Lylat, BF & T&C. And since you lose invincibility, falcon mains with just sit on edge and hold the a button

Last edited:
I find it amusing that Dark Pit is among the few characters he pointed out that can do this technique but Pit isn't.

Although Pit was shown in the video seconds later, so maybe that was a mistake, or maybe he didn't perform it right as Pit. I couldn't tell, honestly.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but this is precisely the kind of AT I just hate to see come out. It's so fiddly, and weird, and will be all but required to master to compete. God, I hope it gets patched.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but this is precisely the kind of AT I just hate to see come out. It's so fiddly, and weird, and will be all but required to master to compete. God, I hope it gets patched.
I don't believe that many players will actually incorporate it anytime soon. I mean, NOBODY perfect pivots, and that's been around forever, right?

seems like one of those techniques that are *so* difficult and so situational, that they're unlikely to be ever used all that much and will likely never prove to be terribly useful in the long run. the chance of performing it perfectly, on top of the perfect opportunity to use it even arriving, just seem really slim.

This works on the waiting screen for online private matches. Im pretty sure its omega miiverse. I just did it as marth

Yay another almost useless tech found in the game... joy.
I don't know how you draw the conclusion that this is useless. It clearly has practical applications.
seems like one of those techniques that are *so* difficult and so situational, that they're unlikely to be ever used all that much and will likely never prove to be terribly useful in the long run. the chance of performing it perfectly, on top of the perfect opportunity to use it even arriving, just seem really slim.
Maybe your experience is different but opponents stand by the ledge waiting for me all the time. This tech could certainly help my gameplay. Not so situational, imo.

Last edited:
I don't believe that many players will actually incorporate it anytime soon. I mean, NOBODY perfect pivots, and that's been around forever, right?
I think the only people that use it are like False and ZeRo. It's actually pretty funny how many techs False incorporates. From MySmashCorner and from Tech of the Week.

And given that Zero is one of the most dominant smash players ever, it stands to reason that anyone who wants to beat him had better be good at learning fidgety techs. Especially ones as useful as this.

Personally, I prefer the game be more a test of wits and reactions than freakish, rote repetition skills, but difficult, powerful techs make it much more so.

And this isn't a matter of me being unable to cimpete, because I couldn't for a number of other reasons I don't resent at all.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel like this kind of thing is more fitting for the melee world with its l-cancels and waveshines than it is for Smash 4, which I find way easier to follow as a spectator.

And given that Zero is one of the most dominant smash players ever, it stands to reason that anyone who wants to beat him had better be good at learning fidgety techs. Especially ones as useful as this.

Personally, I prefer the game be more a test of wits and reactions than freakish, rote repetition skills, but difficult, powerful techs make it much more so.

And this isn't a matter of me being unable to cimpete, because I couldn't for a number of other reasons I don't resent at all.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel like this kind of thing is more fitting for the melee world with its l-cancels and waveshines than it is for Smash 4, which I find way easier to follow as a spectator.

Well, Melee's most common tech took quite a bit of time to discover. Who's to say SSB4 won't be the same?

I feel that this tech will be really helpful. One thing that I noticed that ZeRo does is that many times he'll stand near the ledge shielding. When he shields, he'll react to whatever the opponent does. If his opponent jumps, he'll do a jump attack. If his opponent rolls, he'll drop the shield and immediately go for a grab. If the opponent does a normal get up or a get up attack, he's shielding so he can just press A and grab. This new option will allow for more options. Now the person can trick ZeRo and grab him themselves or they can spot dodge if they predict a grab. There are so many more possibilities now and I feel this will also help low tier characters by giving them more ways to come back on stage if they grab on to the ledge. That's just my opinion though and it does seem pretty difficult to do .

Sometimes, these videos with super hard techs make me wonder, "Who would be "better" at Smash? MySmashCorner or ZeRo?" ZeRo has been said to be the best Smash 4 player in the world, but MSC has ben the one using these techs in his gameplay.

Not super vital. Since as of now the only legal stages it can be performed on are Lylat, BF & T&C. And since you lose invincibility, falcon mains with just sit on edge and hold the a button
Well if it can't work on Falcon then we should just never use this at all.

Top Bottom