• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My setup is legit?

Kometa

Smash Rookie
Hello everybody !

I fell in love with the license thanks to Melee at the time. But later, I put the game in the cupboards to play the next opus.
I already knew Melee's "ruthless" (haha) universe, but in recent days I've been watching the documentary "The Smash Brothers", which made me want to confront Melee's specific world and see if I am able to learn the basics.

For this, I have an LCD screen with my Wii (my Gamecube is about to die), a NGC SSB4 controller Edition and important detail I think, the game Melee European version (yes, I'm French).

So that's my question : it's good configuration to start learning? I am a topic is available about it on the forum but I have the impression that it doesn't answer my question...

Thank you for your future answers ! :kirby:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
The only part of your set up which has some very real problems is the LCD. CRTs are really how melee should be played and by that I mean, that's how melee is played in tournaments because there's less lag. It really is noticeable and not the best to practice on. That said, if you currently can't get your hands on a CRT, it's okay to practice a little on the LCD in the mean time. But CRTs aren't hard to come by and you should 100% get one if you plan to play competitively. Or alternatively you could play on someone else's CRT.

Kometa

Smash Rookie
The only part of your set up which has some very real problems is the LCD. CRTs are really how melee should be played and by that I mean, that's how melee is played in tournaments because there's less lag. It really is noticeable and not the best to practice on. That said, if you currently can't get your hands on a CRT, it's okay to practice a little on the LCD in the mean time. But CRTs aren't hard to come by and you should 100% get one if you plan to play competitively. Or alternatively you could play on someone else's CRT.
Wow, I didn't think that the cathodic brought such a big difference in latency compared to the LCD...
I would see in this case ! Thank you very much :)

SpaceCowboy35

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
SPAC#649
Hello everybody !

For this, I have an LCD screen with my Wii (my Gamecube is about to die), a NGC SSB4 controller Edition and important detail I think, the game Melee European version (yes, I'm French).
QUOTE]

1. you need a CRT
2. I believe NTSC is the dominant version but Pal works too

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I think your current setup is fine for now to start learning. Try to gauge how bad your input lag is. Is it very noticeable? After playing a bunch of games you should be able to get a feel for how bad the lag is. If its bad, get a CRT, if its not really noticeable, you can practice on that until you can get a CRT.

SpaceCowboy35

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
SPAC#649
I practiced on my LCD to start too, I do recommend to get a crt if you do want to get competitive I also would recommend homebrewing your wii and 20xx training pack

Reidd Maxwell

Smash Rookie
Highly recommend CRT. They suck to carry but you know what sucks more? Going to a normal tourney with CRTs to find out your techskill is all off.

Top Bottom