• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My R.O.B. in action!

chimpxstyle

Smash Cadet
Here are videos of my R.O.B. in action. I really have to start making better use of tilts and Fairs. My air dodging also needs work, lol. Videos courtesy of Keitaro. Fighting Falco is frustrating.

"Chimp" R.O.B. vs "Edd" Diddy
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nQ7t-2DY_x0

And of course a video where I get stomped by Keit's Falco. Stage spike city.
"Keitaro" Falco vs "Chimp" R.O.B.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=F1uy4917-3U

Feel free to Q and A, critique, ect...

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
LOL @ ROB slipping on the banana peel, classic. A lot of projectile spamming.

The ending was nice on your part.

chimpxstyle

Smash Cadet
Thanks, yeah man those bananas are really killer. Edd does a good job of abusing the hell out of them haha.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
haha that was great when you tripped on the banana 3 times.
that was a sweet match.

man i wish we had brawl right now. gah.

edit: in the falco video you could've definitely been more aggressive and got him while he was off the stage.

chimpxstyle

Smash Cadet
The laser beam takes a couple seconds to recharge. You can aim it up or down and it reflects off platforms and the stage. Randomly a very powerful laser will come out with higher knockback.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So it IS very much like Kirby's LASER ability...

Hmm...Interesting...

If there are multiple surfaces, will it keep on reflecting?

and yes...R.O.B. slipping on Banana's 3 times in a row was hilarious...

chimpxstyle

Smash Cadet
I think the most surfaces I have reflected it off was 3 or 4. I am unsure if there is a limit or not.

Stupid bananas... lol.

Classic Yayo

Smash Cadet
Wow those were great matches. ROB seems hard to kill especially with that up b. Seems like you can hover for a long time. Have you experimented with how long you have fly?

And whats the pin like thing you charge up then throw out?

chimpxstyle

Smash Cadet
Yeah I can probably go completely under a few stages hovering. The pin like thing is ROB's disc. It is his Down B. You can charge it up and when you launch it it spins on the ground for a while doing damage to people who touch it. If you hit someone with it fully charged its about 18 to 20 % damage. I usually use it for edge guarding depending on who I am facing.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
So I've never been a fan of ROB. But, jeez, he definitely looks top tier.

The Diddy and ROB match was epic. Two potential high tiers going at it. Projectile spam was a bit annoying, but not gamebreaking. lol & 3 banana slips. Diddy should have won lol. Sorry, I'm a Diddy fan ;)

Lots of air game in the second one. Falco's BAir was both ruthless and annoying. Another good match though.

Man, I want this game...

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
It seems that ROB's aerial attacks are a little bit slow despite having range.

Hey, you've no doubt noticed that ROB's Bair pushes him forwards like a booster, right? Have you considered combining it with a RAR to create a little ROB Wall-of-pain technique?

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
His down A smash is by far his best move. It has good range on both sides and knocks people back far enough so they cant counter if even slightly hit by it. As for his aerials they suck in general aerial fights. You have to time them early or you get beat out almost every time. Theyre only really effective if you use them close to the ground because in that case you get like no recovery frames.

On the upside his nair hits in a 270 degree arc. His Bair also hits forward too if you catch an opponent on that side during the moves last few frames. His Dair is good for spiking opponents to death, but has small range and slow recovery.

You should also try using his dashing A more often. His quick dash makes it very effective. His standard A combo is also good.. His gyromite is also really good. It is acually his best finishing move, because it has incredible knockback, can be thrown in the air, and even picked up and thrown again. You can lazer, gyromite and lazer again. This is nasty, and the lazer actually hits multiple opponents, and it has good stun. This strategy is best employed on flat stages.

As for recoveries, dont even try to hit an opponent while coming back in. Use his up b and always go for the ledge. Or fly to a safe landing area. ROB is extremely vulnerable during his decent back to the stage. He especially gets owned here by fast characters. I think he is most effective on the ground. Avoid air fights and get to the ground ASAP. Thats my advice. Unfortunately he cant air dodge after executing his up b, so it makes it even harder for him to land safely.

Anyhow this is the problem I have with ROB. I cant follow up when I knock people in the air. Any suggestions.

chimpxstyle

Smash Cadet
You cannot hover forever and it does take time to recharge. I play Space a lot and we trade wins every so often. He is a better player then me though, no doubt. Once we get our video equipment up and running (these vids were by keitaro) I will definitely put more up. As for ROB's Up B, you can use it and hold B and do normal arial attacks. It is somewhat hard to do but will probably be worth it in the long run. The danger lies in getting knocked off stage and not having any hover power to recover. ROB's Bair is a little hard to WOP with because it has some lag after use. Currently when I go off the stage I mostly Nair and Fair depending on where the opponent is compared to myself.

TO:kashikomarima****a

I use his dash and tilts a lot more now. As for air fights, as long as your opponent isn't below you, you are in good shape. His Nair does hit a big area and his Fair comes out very fast. I try to stay away from his Dair because it is easy to get hit through. Bair is situational and recovery. If my opponent is in the air above me I usually Uair to build damage or Nair to knock them around. You are right about recovery, I go right for the ledge now and throw out some ledge hopped lasers.

G-X

Smash Apprentice
You should make an in-depth video of Famicom Robot's moveset. You know, go into Training Mode and do each of his moves one-by-one, with text appearing on-screen telling us what move that is.

That would be awesome.

Sharky

Smash Master
I've gotta say out of all the characters I've used so far, ROB's my favorite. =D Here's a summary of my experience with him, just to add to what everyone else has put up.

His b-up's uber useful, since you can use part of it, stop, and use it again. The only trouble with it is that even when you get back to the ledge, you haven't recharged it yet. You have to be completely on the ground before you can use it fully again.

His aerials are interesting, gotta say that. The fair is pretty standard, comes out fast, and has medium knockback. The uair is a damage dealer, and is his best bet for juggling as it doesn't give too much knock-up. The dair is a good spike, but generally not worth it because of the wind-up time and deceptively low range. The bair is hard to use right, but it's very rewarding if you connect. To get the best hit with it you actually have to be right in front of the opponent, because you move forward a decent amount while using it. The neutral air is very good if you have the wind-up time available. It has excellent knockback, and hits in a circle from below him to above him. Just remember that the wind-up takes a bit, like most of his aerials do.

His smashes are fun. The up-smash, while not hitting very far to the side of him, comes out very quick, and has great knock-up. It's got pretty decent vertical range, as well, so you've got a bit of security if someone's coming down on you. The downsmash will get everyone away from you, either by sucking them in and tossing them up, or just knocking them away if they get tipped by the outside. Very good move for someone who likes to roll around. The f-smash is ok, not one of his better moves, but it still gets the job done.

R.O.B.'s projectiles are awesome. He's got two of them, the LASER, and the gyrodisk. The laser takes time to charge, which is done by not using it, which is simple enough. When fully charged, it's got a decent amount of knockback for such an attack, and is goes through people. You can angle it up or down, and bounce it off the stage, so you should have a relatively easy time of hitting someone with it. It also makes a limited short range attack, as you can sweet-spot anyone that's right in front of you with it, resulting in some nice knockback. His other projectile is the down-b, the gyrodisk. It takes a couple seconds to fully charge, but it's worth it. It has awesome knockback, awesome damage, and you can pick it up again to throw as a regular item. If someone else goes up to it to pick it up, they'll get hit. They can still knock it around with attacks though. Use it to the max, but remember that it'll disappear after a couple throws, so you'll have to make another one.

His throws are alright, no chainthrowing or super KO throws, but they get the job done easy enough. the downthrow can sometimes be used to combo on the less floaty characters, and the side throws are good for getting people off the ledge for edge-guarding purposes.

I don't have too much experience with the tilts, as I only use the d-tilt, really. It's an ok edge-guard, and you can use it pretty fast, so I'd reccomend adding it to your arsenal.

His final smash is fun to use, lasers come out of his eyes and you can chase people and catch them with it, either snaring them in and doing lots of damage or knocking them way back, but both for the most part. It's fun to chase people around with, cause it's a crazy looking robot gone crazier. =D

my one reccomendation for chimp that hasn't been stated is to perhaps be a bit more patient with the gyrodisk, you had a bunch of misses cause you threw it first chance you got, from what I saw.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
You cannot hover forever and it does take time to recharge. I play Space a lot and we trade wins every so often. He is a better player then me though, no doubt. Once we get our video equipment up and running (these vids were by keitaro) I will definitely put more up. As for ROB's Up B, you can use it and hold B and do normal arial attacks. It is somewhat hard to do but will probably be worth it in the long run. The danger lies in getting knocked off stage and not having any hover power to recover. ROB's Bair is a little hard to WOP with because it has some lag after use. Currently when I go off the stage I mostly Nair and Fair depending on where the opponent is compared to myself.

TO:kashikomarima****a

I use his dash and tilts a lot more now. As for air fights, as long as your opponent isn't below you, you are in good shape. His Nair does hit a big area and his Fair comes out very fast. I try to stay away from his Dair because it is easy to get hit through. Bair is situational and recovery. If my opponent is in the air above me I usually Uair to build damage or Nair to knock them around. You are right about recovery, I go right for the ledge now and throw out some ledge hopped lasers.
Yeah, I should get in the habit of using his Uair more often. It is deceptively strong. And it comes out very quickly. But even so his other moves come out too slowly and he can be easily knocked around in the air because of his slow drop speed, and big size. Oh yeah his Nair is an awsome edge guard. if the opponent is coming up from below. Do it right off the edge, time it right and it will send anything that comes close to oblivion.

chimpxstyle

Smash Cadet
Just found out today that ROB's Side B can reflect projectiles... Just throwin that out there.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Its really harad to deflect with his side b. At least for most projectile.

This is something great about ROB. A lot of the time with his standard A attack he cancels it against a another persons attack, but this brings you in close to your opponent and you can smash down and beat them around. Plus his Uair is a good follow up for his up throw and down smash. D a short hop and strike quickly. Plus you can arc his movement while doing it to increase the range. And if your opponent dodges through it you can catch them on the ground with another down smash a or throw. Im really learning to dominate with this guy.

Plus his Fair is great. It doesnt have good damage or knockback, but extremely good priority. You can use to knock an opponent around and get them to where you want them for the Nair finish. The Nair is tricky but its nasty when it hits. its best used when the opponent is coming at you from underneath diagonally. In that case its almost unavoidable, but some moves do take priority over it.

chimpxstyle

Smash Cadet
Once I get my own Japanese Wii in a few days (I have been playing with dmbrandon) I am going to start practicing moving horizontally with ROB's Up B Thrusters and continually doing aerial moves. If I can get it down, it will dramatically bolster ROB's already good game.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Any downsides to ROB?

He is extremely slow coming down, even with his fast fall. His lower hitbox is also big, so he is easy to hit from below. If you use his up b during your recovery you cant air dodge afterwards, making it even more difficult to get to the ground. Also regarding his up b you have to be on the ground for about 3 seconds to have it fully recharge. So if you land and are knocked off immediately afterwards you may not have enough boost to get back.

His throws are below average too Id say. And he has no powerful move that strikes upwards in the air. You have to hit your opponents laterally or down. His up a smash is a killer though. You can dash forward and execute it.

on Recoveries always go for the edge and hang there first if possible. His edge recovery is the best. You can Nair in after jumping in from the the edge and it comes out instantaneously. And if the opponent blocks it, it still has good knocback so they cant follow up with a throw.

Im already sn ace with the Nair. Its a lot like Jiggs sleep move in the air, only with better range and less knockback. The key is to time it perfectly and send your opponent flying.

Hmmm. So...

-Slow falling speed
-Large lower hitbox
-No air dodging after UpB
-Slow recharge time for UpB
-Below average throws
-No powerful aerial upwards-striking move

Plus the obvious one that he's pretty slow on the ground.

EDIT: Can he chain throw, and does he have a good grab range?

chimpxstyle

Smash Cadet
Hmmm. So...

-Slow falling speed
-Large lower hitbox
-No air dodging after UpB
-Slow recharge time for UpB
-Below average throws
-No powerful aerial upwards-striking move

Plus the obvious one that he's pretty slow on the ground.

EDIT: Can he chain throw, and does he have a good grab range?
For the most part, though his Uair doesn't do much knock back it is quite good for building damage up. Sadly it is easy to out prioritize.

Top Bottom