• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My overall defensive problem....

Floatie

Smash Rookie
NNID
jigglypufflover1
Apparently. someone told me past weeklies ago that my overall offense is good, but my overall defense as a player, however is not. How can i improve on it? The character that i use everytime i go to my weeklies is Lucina, btw (hence my pfp)

DMan64

Smash Cadet
I think what can help is utilizing Lucina's speed and range. While her offense is pretty good, utilizing her Parallel Falchion's range and her overall mobility can help. Also just analyze how you play, it seems to me you may just be over-aggressive. If you notice yourself rushing in a lot, try to shield more or just mix-up your movement. In other words, identify your bad habits that make your defensive play weaker. Also, try to identify your opponents habits, that way you can figure out a solid way to go around their aggression or defense.

Floatie

Smash Rookie
NNID
jigglypufflover1
But that's the thing: I do rush in a lot, which is why i was trying to kill my opponent! But everytime i try, i end up being killed by them! So infuriating!

DMan64

Smash Cadet
In that case, try to not rush in. Part of what helps is knowing what your limit is. I know it will take a while for improvement to be seen but I think mindset plays a huge key in improvement. Think of it like this. Lucina's attacks deal a good amount of damage and she can rack up damage consistently. Therefore, you shouldn't worry about get KO's as soon as possible. Instead, take your time and think about what your actions will entail. Lucina can be aggressive, but in order to play offensive, you must have a defensive approach, something that isn't always easy. But remember, you'd shouldn't make it your goal to take out your opponent as fast as you can with Lucina, make it your goal to rack up damage while keeping them out of your space. It'll take time, but don't get frustrated, you'll get there. If you need anymore advice there are tons of people who can help. Also I recommend looking at Art of Marth from Izaw, he covers Lucina there as well, and the principals of Marth he explains in that video mostly translate to Lucina as well, so it should be able to help out a bit if you haven't seen it.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Use Marth instead.

On a serious note, do you use the same medicine for different illnesses? The way you use a character must be used differently for different opponents. I don't use Lucina, but I would suppose she's similar to Marth in that she performs best in the air. One way to imagine Lucina is that she's nothing more than the blade she wields. (I think the same about Marth.) The distance between the tip of Lucina's blade and hand is the safest distance for her. You can still rush if you want, but you'll need to keep in mind that if you perform an aerial attack, you don't have to continue moving forward.

DMan64

Smash Cadet
Use Marth instead.

On a serious note, do you use the same medicine for different illnesses? The way you use a character must be used differently for different opponents. I don't use Lucina, but I would suppose she's similar to Marth in that she performs best in the air. One way to imagine Lucina is that she's nothing more than the blade she wields. (I think the same about Marth.) The distance between the tip of Lucina's blade and hand is the safest distance for her. You can still rush if you want, but you'll need to keep in mind that if you perform an aerial attack, you don't have to continue moving forward.
I play Lucina and I can say that isn't far from the truth. The only real differences are that her spacing's a bit more lenient and she has different follow-ups. Part of what can make Lucina, and Marth to a higher extent, threatening is the ability to get into the opponents head. Like I said before, you shouldn't worry about getting a KO as early as possible with Lucina. She hits hard and can tack on a lot of damage easily, so playing patiently works really well for her. But for you to be aggressive, you must approach defensively.

Top Bottom