• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My opinion on what happened with customs

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
So a Pikachu skull bash killing at 44% isnt broken? And having a stage with walkoffs,Ridiculous hazards and stages that promote camping are viable? Please explain to me how pyrosphere(without 8 player smash) 75mm or Guar plains are viable
No more broken than Diddy throwing a banana into your face for a hoo-hah at any percent, or turning his command grab into an attack at the press of a button. Or Sheik being able to camp most of the cast with needles. Or what Rosalina can do with Luma without even touching the B button. Or how Sonic is fast enough to make a joke out of the neutral game.

Last edited:

Moola

Smash Rookie
No more broken than Diddy throwing a banana into your face for a hoo-hah at any percent, or turning his command grab into an attack at the press of a button. Or Sheik being able to camp most of the cast with needles. Or what Rosalina can do with Luma without even touching the B button. Or how Sonic is fast enough to make a joke out of the neutral game.
Yea you can DI out of hoo hahs at different percentages,you can also powershield bananas,and needles. You can also pivot grab sonics are punish them with out of shield options those are all pretty manageable. Imagine making a read that you could kill somebody at 40% but the worse could happen is that you might be put off stage thats ridiculous. I'm not saying all customs are broken but allowing only some is gonna make a slippery slope

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
stages =/= custom moves and what default moves are broken? Last Time a checked there are no moves that have awkward winboxes (DK) ridiculously early kill options (MK,Pikachu) or broken stalling (Villager) The point is customs don't really Improve the meta it changes it but for the most part not for the best. Stages are banned for having, ridiculous hazards, walkoffs or transformations. We make bans of whats playable and Stages are universally agreed upon. Imagine somebody like dkwill using his tornado up b and windox punch to win something like CEO and then going to Evo where both moves are banned makes no sense
Link's Gale Boomerang and Mario's F.L.U.D.D. among other moves have wind boxes. Wario's Fart and Jigglypuff's Rest, again among other moves, give ridiculously early kill options. A lot of moves like Sonic's Spin Dash and Duck Hunt's Can allow for some pretty good stalling.

You clearly don't know what makes a stage banned, as it's not just for having hazards or transformations (See Halberd, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, ect.)

If DK Will wins CEO with customs (which isn't possible because he's not going to CEO nor is CEO using customs), then he won because he's the better player. Also DK Will doesn't use storm punch, he uses default punch because it can kill at like 30%. Neither of those moves are going to be banned at EVO anyways because neither are even close to broken.

Moola

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
Link's Gale Boomerang and Mario's F.L.U.D.D. among other moves have wind boxes. Wario's Fart and Jigglypuff's Rest, again among other moves, give ridiculously early kill options. A lot of moves like Sonic's Spin Dash and Duck Hunt's Can allow for some pretty good stalling.

You clearly don't know what makes a stage banned, as it's not just for having hazards or transformations (See Halberd, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, ect.)

If DK Will wins CEO with customs (which isn't possible because he's not going to CEO nor is CEO using customs), then he won because he's the better player. Also DK Will doesn't use storm punch, he uses default punch because it can kill at like 30%. Neither of those moves are going to be banned at EVO anyways because neither are even close to broken.
LOL Ok the DKwill thing was only hypothetical and i know CEO arent using customs it was just an example. But Yea I know why Halberd,Delfino and castle siege are legal(Temporary walk offs,Telegraphed/non threatening hazards) Jiggly puffs rest is hard to execute and is EASILY punishable, same with warios fart. Links Boomerang only has a returning winbox and albeit not very strong, Marios fludd isn't very strong either, Duck hunt LOL bad example and sonics spin dash isnt hard to deal with at all. Lol I dont know why people are getting so mad about something that honestly doesnt change much about the meta

And Just to clarify I personally don't think Dks customs are too op or anything I just think some customs are silly but if we start banning random customs its gonna set a bad precedent and create a slipper slope in general

Last edited by a moderator:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
LOL Ok the DKwill thing was only hypothetical and i know CEO arent using customs it was just an example. But Yea I know why Halberd,Delfino and castle siege are legal(Temporary walk offs,Telegraphed/non threatening hazards) Jiggly puffs rest is hard to execute and is EASILY punishable, same with warios fart. Links Boomerang only has a returning winbox and albeit not very strong, Marios fludd isn't very strong either, Duck hunt LOL bad example and sonics spin dash isnt hard to deal with at all. Lol I dont know why people are getting so mad about something that honestly doesnt change much about the meta
Yeah neither are most of the customs. For example, Pikachu Heavy Skull Bash has a lot of ending lag, gets weaker the farther it goes, nerfs Pikachu's recovery, and is only strong if pikachu is standing still.

The only custom I can possibly see being a problem is villagers, but we need to see it actually having a negative effect on the meta game rather than it being a one time trick. If we do ban villager's custom then it wouldn't be random or silly it'd be for a damn good reason. It wouldn't set a bad precedent because we would have an actual good reason for banning them. The slippery slope argument is also a bad one and we would only start banning a bunch of customs for no reason if we were an ignorant competitive community which we (hopefully) are not.

NNID
Budget_Player
So a Pikachu skull bash killing at 44% isnt broken? And having a stage with walkoffs,Ridiculous hazards and stages that promote camping are viable? Please explain to me how pyrosphere(without 8 player smash) 75mm or Guar plains are viable
A point-blank, very punishable move on a fragile speedster that you basically need a hard read to land is not inherently broken. Wait until we see it seriously shifting the metagame, then we can call it broken. And of course, I'm not advocating those. Mario Circuit (WiiU), on the other hand, you can find me advocating.

Jtails

Smash Lord
ADHD beat Jtails in Diddy Dittos at Collision XI. They are players who are around the same skill level with no noticeable gap.

We definitely can ban customs, but I think @ Jtails Jtails said it best here

We can't ban customs that just look OP, or beat people based off their initial impressions. We need to ban them specifically if they ruin or over centralize the game. Sure there are some good custom moves, but that's the point. If all the custom moves were worse than default there'd be no point in using them. The best part about customs is figuring out which moveset is going to be best in which matchups.

Also, if we need to make our ruleset back to 3 stock because kill are happening earlier, we should definitely do it. We can't change EVO's stock and time count, but we could change other tournaments rulesets.
Yeah I would say ADHD and I are around the same skill level, He beat me 2-0 at Collision, I beat him 2-0 at KTAR XI and KTAR XII

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Yea you can DI out of hoo hahs at different percentages,you can also powershield bananas,and needles. You can also pivot grab sonics are punish them with out of shield options those are all pretty manageable. Imagine making a read that you could kill somebody at 40% but the worse could happen is that you might be put off stage thats ridiculous. I'm not saying all customs are broken but allowing only some is gonna make a slippery slope
Yea you can powershield Heavy Skullbash, roll/airdodge the Storm Punch, jump over Timber Counter, Shield grab the Super Hoop, those are all pretty much manageable. Imagine making a read that you could kill somebody at 14% with a reverse warlock punch but the worst that could happen is that you break their shield anyway because apparently we're not considering the ability to dodge, thats ridiculous. I'm not saying all defaults are broken but only allowing some is gonna make a slippery slope.

Last edited:

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
roll/airdodge the Storm Punch
I'm fairly sure (and am having deja-vu in saying it for the billionth time), that wind boxes have zero effect while shielding. You don't move an inch. Gust bellows does nothing.

If DK spams any windbox, just calm down and shield at neutral. Attack after he lands.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
i was thinking for a while, why not just ban the broken custom moves and keep the more balanced customs un-banned?
I would prefer if the Smash community did not operate on Smogon-esque politics, please. Unless something is objectively broken, like having the Wii U freeze mid match, I do not agree with the notion of banning specific aspects of the game for the idealistic notion of balance.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I would prefer if the Smash community did not operate on Smogon-esque politics, please. Unless something is objectively broken, like having the Wii U freeze mid match, I do not agree with the notion of banning specific aspects of the game for the idealistic notion of balance.
We're already doing that with stage bans/unbans (depending how you look at it) and allowing customs. We're already banning and allowing things based on perceived balance and fun factor alone.

Ulevo

Smash Master
We're already doing that with stage bans/unbans (depending how you look at it) and allowing customs. We're already banning and allowing things based on perceived balance and fun factor alone.
With stages it is mandatory. There are a limited number of conceivably legal stages out of the ones available, so we need to pick and choose, leading to politics on rules. However, we base our decisions on more objective lines usually. We don't ban 75 M because it isn't fun or "desirable", to quote Smogon. That's just an added benefit to the policy making. We ban 75 M because it inevitably results in circle camping, and other imbalanced tactics that could otherwise ruin a tournament players chances for success in an unreasonable manner.

Regarding characters and customs, we have a choice. We don't have to play with customs, we're just choosing to because of the interest and perceived benefits. What I'm suggesting is that if it gets to a point where we are micromanaging customs by choosing which ones to turn on or leave off for individual characters, then in my opinion customs are not worth including.

I guess putting it another way, the community should not be in charge of balancing the game because it usually doesn't work well, and should only be done if the game would otherwise be unplayable in a competitive context without community policy intervention (see stage rules.)

Last edited:

Moola

Smash Rookie
With stages it is mandatory. There are a limited number of conceivably legal stages out of the ones available, so we need to pick and choose, leading to politics on rules. However, we base our decisions on more objective lines usually. We don't ban 75 M because it isn't fun or "desirable", to quote Smogon. That's just an added benefit to the policy making. We ban 75 M because it inevitably results in circle camping, and other imbalanced tactics that could otherwise ruin a tournament players chances for success in an unreasonable manner.

Regarding characters and customs, we have a choice. We don't have to play with customs, we're just choosing to because of the interest and perceived benefits. What I'm suggesting is that if it gets to a point where we are micromanaging customs by choosing which ones to turn on or leave off for individual characters, then in my opinion customs are not worth including.

I guess putting it another way, the community should not be in charge of balancing the game because it usually doesn't work well, and should only be done if the game would otherwise be unplayable in a competitive context without community policy intervention (see stage rules.)
At least someone gets what Im trying to say lol

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
To top it all off, ADHD did get 5th at this tournament. That's not bad placing at all, and the people he lost to were Puffster (aka nobody knows how to play against Brawler)
Not true. Dapuffster lost to Jtails and Dabuz at KTAR (both who knew what to do). Also at the World Online Tournament he lost to Zero who has not fought a Brawler before.

Last edited:

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
It's either you ban them all or ban none, because once someone starts banning individual moves we're going to end up just like smogon. If that happens all credibility when it comes to customs is going to be for nothing.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
It's a bit of an obnoxious tipping point: On one hand, yeah Pikachu getting a 40% kill option that he can trap into is nuts. Get combo'd or killed! Fun! Kong Cyclone seems like the definition of skill gate move (as in, it'll stop new players cold but higher level players will be able to handle it). And we're only in the first month of having mainstream customs (I know custom tournaments have been happening before that but this past week has been crazy). This stuff isn't broken, necessarily, but is it fun to fight against? Fun to play? Did ADHD enjoy throwing explosives and rocks at people for 6 minutes a game?

And yet it just feels like such a shame that characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Kirby, Ganondorf, and so many others should be denied their little custom upgrades just because a few of the other characters' are so polarizing. I'm not exactly lacking for a main in the non-custom meta, but I'm having fun exploring what options open up when some of those characters just get an extra push in the right direction from them (My other interests bar in my sig is essentially "will customs push me to maining any of these characters?" since Shulk and Ness have meh customs). And geez what do you tell Palutena and Mii players, who are pretty much designed for customs?

I dunno how to feel I guess. I think customs should have more time, but I just keep thinking about Evo's ruleset locking in 3 days. What do you do another month or two from now if most tournaments have degenerated into which character has the best B Button instead of which character has the best tools? I tend to overthink things a lot so maybe stuff will be turn out fine but with how much I love playing this game I can't help but be a little nervous.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Very interesting perspectives in this thread. I'm personally in the "wait and watch" camp, insofar as I think it's better to see how things develop and adjusting our criteria as needs be, rather than adopting a scattershot "prevention over cure" approach.

It's a slippery slope. Justify banning one move without precedent and it becomes so much easier to ban the next move.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Some characters really need their customs to be viable. I don't understand how having fewer viable characters makes the metagame any better.

If problems arise they will be dealt with, but until we see a parade of dks, villagers and pikas destroying all the top tiers, it really isn't a problem yet.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
1stDA | Jtails Diddy/Pikachu Jtails
2ndXFire iQHQ | Dabuz Rosalina/Olimar #HBC | Bunzy
3rdDapuffster Miifighter Jigglymaster
4th6WX Sonic-6WX-
5thADHD Villager/DiddyADHD
5thLoF False Shiek/LuigiFalse
7thTweek Bowser Jr.Tweek
7thNairo ZeroSuit/Robin
Nairo

Is it just the Villager that ticked people off? Because this seems pretty diverse and nothing was for sure broken from this. I expect people to not fully know things that are going on but still I don't see the claim of broken here being legit.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
For me it's not the Villager or customs in general.

But the fact that you start fighting against the move instead of against a character is a big problem that leads to degenerate play that is neither fun to watch nor skillful at all.

I'm not saying something along the lines of customs has been found... not yet, anyways. Pikachu's Heavy Skull bash right now looks to be brutal after I read Esam's post and tinkered with it. Move is damn good, you can frame trap so well with it, and Smashing the stick makes it charge about a half so you already do 20% instantly.

I guess only time will tell though. I'd rather spend more time in the lab with Heavy Skull Bash before comparing the move to the likes of, say, the Brawl Meta Knight tornado.

Honestly, if one is a problem, I'd rather not have things like bans. Look how Smogon OU is ending up. We need to tread carefully if this is how we want to handle future "jank:" banning something must have a very, very good reason.

(Yes, I hate Smogon. Bite me)

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Not true. Dapuffster lost to Jtails and Dabuz at KTAR (both who knew what to do). Also at the World Online Tournament he lost to Zero who has not fought a Brawler before.
0-3'd by all 3 of them none the less (Zero in GF)

Also, ADHD, I'm rather saddened by this, I was helping you out figuring out what custom moves you needed this whole time too, I was doing it so I could help supply the competitive community with more Custom Move knowledge and how everything works.

I still think that people aren't given custom moves nearly enough time to adapt and understand. Most of these "Broken" moves and strats aren't that hard to get around if you take the time to thinks about it. I have yet to fight anyone that when I lost I didn't think to myself "Yeah, they outplayed me." Everything has been do-able so far and if I play well enough, I can realistically win.

Raijinken

Smash Master
For me it's not the Villager or customs in general.

But the fact that you start fighting against the move instead of against a character is a big problem that leads to degenerate play that is neither fun to watch nor skillful at all.

I'm not saying something along the lines of customs has been found... not yet, anyways. Pikachu's Heavy Skull bash right now looks to be brutal after I read Esam's post and tinkered with it. Move is damn good, you can frame trap so well with it, and Smashing the stick makes it charge about a half so you already do 20% instantly.

Honestly, if one is a problem, I'd rather not have things like bans. Look how Smogon OU is ending up.

(Yes, I hate Smogon. Bite me)
Any player who overrelies on their one move will still probably lose to players of similar skill. Heck, even Diddy does things besides Hoohah.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I still think that people aren't given custom moves nearly enough time to adapt and understand. Most of these "Broken" moves and strats aren't that hard to get around if you take the time to thinks about it. I have yet to fight anyone that when I lost I didn't think to myself "Yeah, they outplayed me." Everything has been do-able so far and if I play well enough, I can realistically win.
Hey look, a perfect time to advertise!
Community Reference: Dealing with Jank (Currently: Diddy's Dthrow & Villager at the Ledge)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

We're already micromanaging the game by adding stages on top of FD, an extra minute to the timer, and ignoring Sudden Death. And we even have the CMP firmly deciding what customs we use at EVO. We're already there, mate.

Ulevo

Smash Master
We're already micromanaging the game by adding stages on top of FD, an extra minute to the timer, and ignoring Sudden Death. And we even have the CMP firmly deciding what customs we use at EVO. We're already there, mate.
If you can't read properly, I'm not going to repeat myself.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If you can't read properly, I'm not going to repeat myself.
Because we totally needed any other stage then FD. BF and SV may very well be further unbalancing the game, since they are the favored stages of Diddy and Shiek and the like. "We're not trying to balance the game ourselves blah blah blah..." But that's exactly what's happening with these stages and customs. Having customs on is just like turning on giant mode to artificially make stages smaller.

Not having Sudden Death changes things quite a bit. While the losing player could camp and hope for a SD win, it's basically 50/50. He may instead try to go on the offensive and attempt to win like that. In my experience, people mostly avoid SD because it's basically luck. So instead the way we have it makes us slow down once we get a lead and supports slower play, to the point where you need an extra minute to cut back on it. The difference between the two is just preference.

People already view us as Smash Smogon anyway. The only difference between us and them is that we're adding while they're subtracting.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Warning Received
Because we totally needed any other stage then FD. BF and SV may very well be further unbalancing the game, since they are the favored stages of Diddy and Shiek and the like. "We're not trying to balance the game ourselves blah blah blah..." But that's exactly what's happening with these stages and customs. Having customs on is just like turning on giant mode to artificially make stages smaller.

Not having Sudden Death changes things quite a bit. While the losing player could camp and hope for a SD win, it's basically 50/50. He may instead try to go on the offensive and attempt to win like that. In my experience, people mostly avoid SD because it's basically luck. So instead the way we have it makes us slow down once we get a lead and supports slower play, to the point where you need an extra minute to cut back on it. The difference between the two is just preference.

People already view us as Smash Smogon anyway. The only difference between us and them is that we're adding while they're subtracting.
You're honestly hilarious.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You're honestly hilarious.
You mean to say BF and SV weren't added because they were desirable? That stages like Skyloft aren't banned under the presumption that there's too many transforming stages?

"We don't have to play with customs, we're just choosing to because of the interest and perceived benefits." That's... Exactly what Smogon does. They ban stuff for perceived benefits. We're allowing something that clearly wasn't balanced for just because we think it'll help worse characters, and I really don't think that's how it'll turn out.

The community is artificially balancing the game with their external rules, if somewhat indirectly. Doubt we'd see as much Diddy or Shiek if it were only FD.

I don't think you're even trying anymore...

Ulevo

Smash Master
You mean to say BF and SV weren't added because they were desirable? That stages like Skyloft aren't banned under the presumption that there's too many transforming stages?

"We don't have to play with customs, we're just choosing to because of the interest and perceived benefits." That's... Exactly what Smogon does. They ban stuff for perceived benefits. We're allowing something that clearly wasn't balanced for just because we think it'll help worse characters, and I really don't think that's how it'll turn out.

The community is artificially balancing the game with their external rules, if somewhat indirectly. Doubt we'd see as much Diddy or Shiek if it were only FD.

I don't think you're even trying anymore...
You take things out of context and make **** up about why we do stuff as a means to retort arguments. You didn't even understand the main point I made. It's like arguing with a christian about God. Of course I'm not trying.

UnownLegend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UnownLegend
Christian here, can confirm arguing with us about God is pretty much pointless :p

This argument between you two is going in circles and not accomplishing anything, plus, like, is this really something worth arguing over, why we ban stuff?

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I just want to add that we should keep an open mind and look for further ways of dealing with the "broken" stuff, rather than complain about it. This is not just a Smashboards problem, but an internet problem in general: Every disagreement makes someone an enemy. Some of these replies are completely disgusting: are some of you so childish that you must insult each other at every turn on every disagreement?

I've been neutral with customs ever since people started experimenting with them. I don't think they necessarily add more to the game (imo), but I do think they give a new way of playing the game. This isn't necessary to continue the growth of Smash 4, but it is a nice to see everything the game has to offer.

The way I see it, this debate of "Customs On" vs "Customs Off" is either going to end well or split the community, and I certainly hope it's not the latter.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You take things out of context and make **** up about why we do stuff as a means to retort arguments. You didn't even understand the main point I made. It's like arguing with a christian about God. Of course I'm not trying.
Explain how a community reshaping a game for perceived benefit is different from a community reshaping a game for perceived benefit.

You're a hypocrite. One paragraph you're saying we change the rules out of necessity (about stages), the next we're doing it because it looks nice (customs). Smogon also does both.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@ DavemanCozy DavemanCozy summed it up nicely. The last thing we need is another schism in our community, especially when it seems to be a lack of communication, rather than direct malice, that's causing these issues.

elmike

Smash Apprentice
IMO, if even with customs diddy (not using customs) is the best character, then it means that the custom moves are not broken, unless you consider diddy to be VERY broken.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
So basically:

1. Diddy is the best character in Smash 4 in a no-customs meta.
2. Diddy is not broken.
3. Diddy prefers to use his default specials in a customs meta.
4. Diddy is still the best character in a customs meta.
5. Therefore, no character with customs is better than default Diddy.
6. Therefore, customs are not broken.

That sum it up?

Prawn

Smash Master
Warning Received
A fair point, but I still can't understand how anybody can reach the opinion that customs are bad when they haven't yet proven broken, every single one of those cases i mentioned specifically that people overreacted about, a counter was found for the strategy (maybe excluding heavy skullbash, just due to the newness of the strat, but plenty has been said about what can be done about it) I just cant fathom how you could find customs to be bad for the game after all the evidence we've seen to the contrary. If there has been time to form opinions about customs, there has been time to try them out enough to know if they are going to break the game and that just isn't happening
Small scale tournaments shouldn't be forming your opinions on customs. Just because the 20-30 people at your local tournament come to a conclusion that something is or isn't broken doesnt mean it's even close to correct.

At EVO every top player will be gunning for the prize. We will see all forms of abuse vs top level competition trying to adapt to it. ADHD is right, we should see how it goes.

Also personal pet peeve: everyone stop throwing around the phrase "the meta" because most of the time you aren't using it correctly. And that being said we shouldn't implement rules to promote "hype" gameplay. That's brawl plus ****.

Omg imagine bowsers fsmash

OMG imagine dthrow uairs on Delfino transitions

NNID
Budget_Player
Because we totally needed any other stage then FD.
Wait, when did we move from "removing things from the game" to "adding things to the game"? You're looking at this completely backwards, sort of like saying "Because we totally needed any other character than Diddy Kong". There are stages in this game, and ideally, we'd use all of them. We can't do that, because some of them are patently broken. Stages like Temple Hyrule and 75m lower the skill ceiling of the game to the point where the question of "who is the better player" (you know, the whole point of competitive play) is pointless and/or trivial. So we limit the stagelist by ditching stages that significantly come into conflict with that question. We never "added" BF or SV to the stagelist; we simply didn't remove them.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Wait, when did we move from "removing things from the game" to "adding things to the game"? You're looking at this completely backwards, sort of like saying "Because we totally needed any other character than Diddy Kong". There are stages in this game, and ideally, we'd use all of them. We can't do that, because some of them are patently broken. Stages like Temple Hyrule and 75m lower the skill ceiling of the game to the point where the question of "who is the better player" (you know, the whole point of competitive play) is pointless and/or trivial. So we limit the stagelist by ditching stages that significantly come into conflict with that question. We never "added" BF or SV to the stagelist; we simply didn't remove them.
At first the competitive Smash community was seen as taking things away, namely stage and item bans. Now people think they're adding a bunch of junk with Customs and non-Omega stages.

The game has it's own 1v1 ruleset. Had this been the first Smash ever, I doubt we would of even considered adding any other stages or customs. Only Miis are banned and not real characters. While the process may be whittling down the stagelist, compared to the official you're adding.

I don't disagree with TOs such as yourself having more stages then the ingame rules normally allow, but it's pretty clearly just because that's what we've been doing since the start. When I ask what intermediate players think of competitive players, they tend to think of them as hypocrites with adding in the rather lopsided customs and adding all these stages but only ever playing on two, and these two being highly beneficial to the top two characters and it destroys a lower-mid tier.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
At first the competitive Smash community was seen as taking things away, namely stage and item bans. Now people think they're adding a bunch of junk with Customs and non-Omega stages.

The game has it's own 1v1 ruleset. Had this been the first Smash ever, I doubt we would of even considered adding any other stages or customs. Only Miis are banned and not real characters. While the process may be whittling down the stagelist, compared to the official you're adding.

I don't disagree with TOs such as yourself having more stages then the ingame rules normally allow, but it's pretty clearly just because that's what we've been doing since the start. When I ask what intermediate players think of competitive players, they tend to think of them as hypocrites with adding in the rather lopsided customs and adding all these stages but only ever playing on two, and these two being highly beneficial to the top two characters and it destroys a lower-mid tier.
If by "official ruleset" you're referring to For Glory, then I hardly think that qualifies. It's a cheap and cheerful means of allowing players to engage in some semblance of a competitive environment without having to work out the complexities of an actual tournament setting. It's the budget competitive mode, and while I appreciate its existence, it's clear that it was included as a mode of secondary priority after the main game.

I can see why For Glory is so limited, of course. Sakurai's made it clear he doesn't have much time for competitive play, and arbitrating which stages are legal, which customs moves are applicable, and so forth, in an online setting would be more hassle than it's worth for he and his team. So he just offered us something approaching competitive play because it's better than nothing. But it's hardly an official ruleset.

I don't think it's fair to regard For Glory as being something in the same league as an official tournament setting. Tourneys put a lot of time and effort into drafting their rulesets, deciding what works and what doesn't, and gauging feedback from actual results. It's an ongoing process based on experiential principles. For Glory, on the other hand, is Sakurai's essentially altruistic, yet basically misinformed attempt to create something to appeal to competitive players. If Nintendo hosted an official Smash tourney and had their own particular ruleset that is to be abided by in such a scenario, then yes, I would concede your point. As it stands, I don't think you're being wholly fair to the people who actually organise and operate quasi-official tournaments.

Incidentally, can I get some citations of these "people" who think we're "adding a bunch of junk"? It's good practice to back up your statements with relevant data.

Top Bottom