• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

'My Music' and Unseen Stages: An Underlying Connection?

article1.jpg
'My Music' is a feature that allows the player to choose the frequency of a song’s likelihood to play on a stage. With it comes a vast array of treasured music pieces from Nintendo and other historic franchises.

But could it be the cause of uncertainty for Smash Bros.’ unseen stages?

article2.jpg

No stages have ever shared a song track, regardless of similarities they may have with one another. Big Battlefield is the exception, but that’s an unique case given that it's merely a larger version of Battlefield for 8-player Smash.

If you take a gander at the past stages yet to be revealed in Ultimate, you start seeing connections between them and confirmed stages. Here’s a look at some of these stages and their association with one other:

Unseen Stages | Stages Confirmed in Ultimate | Correlation
Peach's Castle, Rainbow Cruise | Princess Peach's Castle | Same source material, same setting as Peach's Castle
Kongo Jungle | Kongo Falls, Jungle Japes | Same source material, similar concept to Kongo Falls
Planet Zebes | Brinstar | Same source material, same setting
Sector Z | Venom, Corneria | Same source material, same setting as Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom 64, Mushroom Kingdom ( Melee ) | Mushroomy Kingdom, Mushroom Kingdom 2 | Same source material, same setting, same branch of games to MKII
Mute City | Big Blue | Same source material
Rainbow Road | Mario Circuit ( Mario Kart 8 ) | Same source material
Pirate Ship | Spirit Train | Same branch of games
Icicle Mountain | Summit | Same source material
Dream Land ( GB ) | Dream Land, Green Greens | Same source material, similar setting

It’s worth noting that while some of these stages once co-existed in previous installments, none of them were together with My Music as a feature.

Could musical diversity be an obstacle for Sakurai and his team when choosing the stage roster? The one counter argument could be Yoshi’s Story, with the stage of the same name and the original Yoshi’s Island originating from it both in the game. However, the Yoshi series is currently missing two of its past stages: Yoshi’s Island from Super Smash Bros. Melee and Woolly World from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. With no new Yoshi title to take from for musical inspiration, both could have seen their tracks moved elsewhere.

There remains hope that older games will get remixes, as evidenced by Super Mario Sunshine, Kirby Air Ride, and Donkey Kong Country having new tunes revealed on the official website.

It might seem like an easy issue to navigate, but with the amount of stages sharing an aesthetic and a similar origin, it could indeed prove difficult unless the team decide to re-use music on multiple stages for the first time.

Author’s Note: What do you think? Is it a simple coincidence, or is it truly an issue that the developers had to face? Let me know in the comment section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Evan "Connery" Côté

Comments

No stages have ever shared a song track, regardless of similarities they may have with one another. Big Battlefield is the exception, but that’s an unique case given that it's merely a larger version of Battlefield for 8-player Smash.​
Mario Maker and Pirate Ship are both exceptions as well; they both had songs that were also used on other stages. They were downloadable, though, so I guess that’s a fairly unique case as well.

Overall, I don’t think it’ll be a huge issue. If needed, some tracks might get shifted around to add to the Melee stages, and new remixes are always possible to fill in the gaps. Then you have the thousands of songs they could simply take from original games.

Last edited:
Nothing stopping them from just assigning some tracks to multiple stages. Sounds hard to avoid given we're on track to break a hundred stages in this game.

I'm willing to bet they will add more music later down the road. Possibly a free update type deal. Can't wait to hear some classics. It would be cool though if they make newer remakes as dlc.

I've got a good feeling we're going to see practically every stage from all previous games in Smash. I mean, right now there's over 80 returning stages with several universes having practically every stage to ever represent them confirmed to return like the Zelda and Pokemon series, some that haven't been playable since the 64 era like Saffron City, Melee era like Princess Peach's Castle, Mushroom Kingdom II, Yoshi's Story, Great Bay, Venom, & Fourside, & Brawl era like Spear Pillar, New Pork City, and Shadow Moses Island, and those that haven't been revealed yet like Delfino Plaza and Kongo Jungle 64 have been in every iteration of Smash since their debut! Even stages that are very similar like Pokemon Stadiums 1 & 2 and Smashville & Town & City are confirmed to return together! I'd be very happy to have every stage return to the game and being able to practically play every version of Smash in HD on the go with options to choose between the 64, Melee, Brawl, 3DS, & Wii U rosters and stages at will. It'd be especially nice if Battlefield & Final Destination had every version from the previous games available to select at will since they all have very different aesthetics and having the option to play on the Battlefields & Final Destinations from the 64 version for the first time at will would be absolutely incredible. Here's hoping they bring back all the stages just like they did all the characters along with new stages as well, especially for newcomers!

I've got a good feeling we're going to see practically every stage from all previous games in Smash. I mean, right now there's over 80 returning stages with several universes having practically every stage to ever represent them confirmed to return like the Zelda and Pokemon series, some that haven't been playable since the 64 era like Saffron City, Melee era like Princess Peach's Castle, Mushroom Kingdom II, Yoshi's Story, Great Bay, Venom, & Fourside, & Brawl era like Spear Pillar, New Pork City, and Shadow Moses Island, and those that haven't been revealed yet like Delfino Plaza and Kongo Jungle 64 have been in every iteration of Smash since their debut! Even stages that are very similar like Pokemon Stadiums 1 & 2 and Smashville & Town & City are confirmed to return together! I'd be very happy to have every stage return to the game and being able to practically play every version of Smash in HD on the go with options to choose between the 64, Melee, Brawl, 3DS, & Wii U rosters and stages at will. It'd be especially nice if Battlefield & Final Destination had every version from the previous games available to select at will since they all have very different aesthetics and having the option to play on the Battlefields & Final Destinations from the 64 version for the first time at will would be absolutely incredible. Here's hoping they bring back all the stages just like they did all the characters along with new stages as well, especially for newcomers!
Something tells me they will. Might take up some memory but it would be worth it!

Something tells me they will. Might take up some memory but it would be worth it!
I know someone at the Nintendo Treehouse said not all stages would return but that got be a mistranslation or a misleading thing to take away from an announcement for it. It'd just be silly to not have them all back when so many are already confirmed to return. I have faith a good chunk of them will be back. I'm very excited to revisit old stages I haven't played on in a LONG time, especially with brand new characters, items, and physics!

There is no way every single stage is returning and yeah, them being so similar that they don't even having their own music might be an issue.

The real question is if Meta Crystal will finally be available.
I'd like a playable Meta Crystal plus Duel Zone AKA Batlefield 64 and Final Destination 64. These stages have never been playable officially. Their music wasn't even brought back for My Music for the newer Battlefields or Final Destinations.

Is Meta Crystal the smallest stage? One on one is fine but is it big enough for four characters?

Top Bottom