• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My M2

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
To help make the M2 board's more alive I finally traked down a vid of me. Just a friendly between me and my friend Black Meza. Definatly not my best but anyway who cares. Comments welcome, however these are the flaws I see, that don't need to be repeated
1. don't air doge of stage lolz
2.too many wiff grabs
3.Shooting a shadow ball at fox's reflector = death!:laugh:
4.Dreamland 64 sux for comboin :psycho:
anyway I hope you like it and thanks for watching!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?av=7k7mDkGEDEo

dguy6789

Smash Lord
It was a nice match. Some things you can improve on:

You use the down tilt far too much. Now don't get me wrong, the dtilt is one of the best combo starters, but if the enemy sees you using it that much, he is going to think that it is your only way of initiating an attack and will as a result predict that that is all you will be doing. When an enemy predicts your movements correctly, you will find that your movements are less effective.

Work on improving the number of approach techniques you have. An approach combined with shadow ball spam throws off a huge number of players. Also, baiting your enemy into attacking works extremely well. Improve your wave dash control to the point where you can be within an enemy's forward smash range, wave dash out as he activates it, then wave dash or dash forward and attack/grab him in the lag of the move.

Do not fear Fox's reflector. In fact, it can be a serious downfall for them depending on the player. Most Foxes that play against a Mewtwo will think that their shine will protect them perfectly from all of your projectiles. They will become so secure with this that they will be over eager to send your projectiles back to you. Use this to your advantage. A lot of times, when a Fox shines something back to you, they do not jump cancel the shine. The resulting lag is perfect for an attack. A technique I like to use that works moderately well is to fire a fully charged shadow ball at the Fox/Falco, then wait for them to reflect it. Once it clears the area right in front of them, do a short hop teleport right in front of them. If done properly, you will then be able to attack them before they can respond. The best form of attack at this point is usually a grab as you don't have much time before they recover from the lag.

I do like your upthrow to fair combos, I have not seen that before. Normally my fair combos involve dtilt or dthrow.

A lot of your movements seem jerky and a bit out of place. It seems as if you are a bit hesitant and rushed in some of your movements. The only fix for this is to just keep playing Mewtwo and continue improving on your feel for the way he moves.

Do you by chance not use the c stick? If not, I recommend immediately learning to use that. The up air move is a very good move. There were a ton of opportunities to use it in your match that went unused. I recommend to take some time and truly learn the feel of every one of your aerials. Once you have them mastered, you will be surprised with how many options open up.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
i see what you mean Dguy, i could use c-stick which at the moment i do not (exept for the occasional dair) however I will take your advice into consideration and apply it to my next practice. My up throw combos are nothin new. I even belive that Taj performs them in some of his matches against forward. I find them effective against the space animals and can only be attempted when there % is less than 30. Any higher and you would have to try for a lucky Uair. In that vid I never got the chance to slap them two or three times because of the platforms. Many times in the video I am chasing Meza but he tecks the platform and rolls away. However on FD m2 can easily get a 38+% combo off of one grab if you grab them at a low percent. Ok about the approches. i find that against space animals (and this is only my oppinion) there is an extreamly limited number of approaches. WD Dtilt is not too usefull because a SHHFL'd Nair can easily put you in place. SHFFL'd nair's can sometime work but, playing a good fox many can Bair you and stay away from the move while still intercepting you. I will have to try shadowball approach a little more but from my experience it seems that they can simply high jump to easily aviod. The only thing that works fairly well is the Ftilt with an up angle. While I know that many of my problems can be fixed with mind games.....It still is slightly frustrating. Thank you for the comments taj help is apreceated.

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
It was a nice match, but you look like you need to work on your control over Mewtwo. I'll break it into sections.

-Movement-
Your WD's are a bit short, makng it harder for you to close in from a far range. A perfect WD->D-Tilt takes you a long way, so work on getting that down. You seem to be a bit TOO jumpy too. If you're not attacking, you're WDing back and forth or dash dancing. Yes, it creates mindgames, BUT it does give away the idea that you're waiting to counter attack. Don't get me wrong, dash dancing and WDing back and forth can have its uses, but don't abuse it.

-Attacking-

Don't overuse the D-Tilt, that's one of the main problems. U-Air is nice to juggle and D-Air for those unexpected spikes(especially those easy to edgeguard). Mewtwo has a great U-Tilt, use it when you opponent is above you or on a platform. Maybe a quick U-Smash too.

-Defense-

Well, you seem to do well in this area, playing mostly defensive. Learn to WD out of your shield, it'll help out ALOT ~_^

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
ohh yes extending the WD i have noticed that the faster I short hop the farther I will go. am i incorrect? or should I be doing something else. I also have noticed that the more horizontal you hold the controller the farthere you will go. Am i on the right track?

~(Ganondorf)~

Smash Cadet
essen,germany,europe.but im a greek dude^^
uff thats very intressting because i can wavedash well but im looking always on that pro vids and after a while i am thinking my m2 is disabled or stuff because he cant WD so farther

i read that to with holding the controller more horizontal and he will go farther,but often im just doing an airdodge^^

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
awww..w.w. i wish i had first post

you all said lots of things i wanted to say.

but yes, good wavedashes ^__^ good good
your amount of wavedash i the amount mewtwo needs

relating to movement topics, mix in dash dance, shorthop tele, and wavedash together.
when you are pressured, dont be too afraid of using your roll.

edit: im curious.. your vid is uploaded by "james sparrow"
tonji = james sparrow? what?? *confused*

~(Ganondorf)~

Smash Cadet
essen,germany,europe.but im a greek dude^^
arrrgghhh i try to play mewtwo since 1 year and im going to be sick,because its so hard for me to bring something very good.it so hard to handle m2 i just dont understand the fighting style of this weird clone.but he is very intressting too!my friends are saying that he is the worst character but i dont want to believe it!!

its so **** hard to lern that crazy technical skillz!but i want to learn them all!

ohh god please help me...

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Airo!! I was waiting for you to finally look at my vid! about rolling- ahh i really don't like to do it becuase I feel that im too slow and exposed idk. Maybe it's just me. But the james sparrow thing he is a really good friend of mine and I was at a local tourny and he just so happened to record me. hope that answers your question.

quak

Smash Champion
your should use your roll, it's the longest one in the game i think, but mainly use it to get some space, maybe toss in a wd before for some extra distance.

quak

Smash Champion
there are some cases where you do want to get away, like when your getting your **** shoved in, and that happens alot when playing as mewtwo.

Airo

Smash Lord
in many cases, its a choice between getting

1) getting hit

or

2) rolling and having a good chance of not getting hit.

edit:

okidoki im going to try give you as best of an analysis to your vid as i can.

1) movement, wavedance is good, it DOES look choppy, but there is nothing really wrong with that. mixing in dashdances would be a plus.

2) recovery. i am seeing two means of recovery. more varieties would be nice. secondjump to nair/fairs are very good. but it is very punishable when your opponent expects it. all he has to do is charge a smash, or space a sexkick in order to punish you. ledgehop to teleport is also good, but again, with simple predictions, it is punishable. other options you could consider would be: ledgehop to waveland, ledgegrab to release and airdodge up, ledgegrab to ledgeattack, and ledgegrab to roll. teleported sweet spots are also very very useful.

3) combo, your dtilt is a great combo starter and you use it well. however, dtilt is not the best choice in term of racking up damage. the only time you should have 2 dtilts is if you know you can connect to a fair after wards. make sure you followup dtilts with fairs/nairs.=] full hit nairs do a good 15-20% damage and fairs do a good damage too. another note, fair out of shield is sometimes a better option than shieldgrab, since at low percentages, fair leads to good combos.

keep experimenting.. goodwork. =] i see lots of work in those wavedances =p

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the constructive critisim ario it is greatly appreceated. Also my wave dances look choppy because for some reason that video misses some frames. Well that's what sparrow told me at least. So perhaps that could be part of the choppyness problem idk. I don't really seem to notice it when I am playing. Also as a second note, I am going to in the next week or two try and get some better video of me. Because to be truly honest this isn't my best and I noticed that I was playing WAY more defence than I normally do. thaks everyone for taking the time to cretique me!

Thunderbolt

Smash Journeyman
Overall its a decent Mewtwo. You should learn to do Taj's Mewtwo combo vs Fox.

Just some things about your Mewtwo:

DownB is a good move. I use it lots and every should use it. Follow up with a grab or pretty much anything you want.

Another thing is that you had many chances to spike the enemy with your dair and you could of used the Flick for edgegaurding more often.

Don't overuse the Dtilt. You'll become predictable.

I was a little disappointed of the lack of shadowballs thrown. You should use shadowball more, even the small ones. They throw off your opponent to a point where its funny.

Eww no dtilt to double shadowclaw on Fox?

Good Mewtwo but you need to work on your tactics more.

Airo

Smash Lord
Taj's mewtwo combos on fox are hypothetical and are not applicable against a player that DIs.

the Dtilt spam is fine, it doesnt matter if they predict it. since there isnt really a way for them to punish it. with proper spacing, which you have ^^, there isnt much they could do about it.

DownB can only be used in addition to extreme mindgames. i recommend that you keep it last on your list of 'things to think about'. it only counters 'walk up and attack'' tactics that sometimes fox, falco, and other characters use.

shadowballs are good, but then again, their damage is only 2, shadowballs are not to be spammed on speedy aggressive opponents. SBCC is effective against them, and you use it well ^^

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
ok so let me get this straight......Pretty much everyone thinks that I use D-tilt to much. Well let me just say this I have NEVER seen a fox sit in shield and take Dtilts!! usaually they always try something. While perhaps spamming D-tilts against his shields wasn't the best course of action I would like to say that other than those two incedences I really don't spam it. In my oppion D-tilt is one of M2 cornostone moves. And like airo said, if you can WD fast enough you can usaually get away with D-tilt. Yesterday I tried taking everyones advice and practice it. All I have to say is yes little shadowballs can throwoff an opponent however I think that some peepz are placing too much emphisis on it. It's not really that too reliable. And lets not forget that shadow ball is quite laggy!! anyway I will try and get some actually good footage of me playin. Once again thanks for the comments all are apreciated. (now only if Taj would give his two cent's worth) lolz..

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
actually I wan't to say something on taj's behalf. He sent me a PM with a HUGE and super accurate critque. So I would like to publicly thank him and let everyone know that he definatly is in and around the forums! ;)

Top Bottom