• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Life is Pain: A Toon Link Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
My Life is Pain: A New Toon Link Guide

I made this originally for AllisBrawl because our Toon Link guide there sucked. I figured it couldn't hurt to post it here. Also, this is my first thread here, but I will be on much more now. I have been the most active member of the Toon Link boards on AllisBrawl, but they are just too dead for me.

Specials:

Neutral Special: Hero’s Bow:
Does 4-12% based on charging
Very low knockback

This should be used as a long-range projectile. Two arrows may be fired in one short hop in an AT called SHDA. The best use for this move is another AT called Quickdraw. After most short-hopped aerials, if you press B at the correct time before landing, an arrow will be fired with significantly less starting lag than normal. This should be a staple move to incorporate into your game. Arrows can be used to make a distraction during an approach.

Side Special: Boomerang
Does 5, 8, or 11% depending on when it hit/ Does 3% coming back
Very low knockback

This should be used as a medium to long-range projectile. It has noticeable starting lag, making it not always a great idea when an opponent if very close. The usual best way to use this is to jump away from your opponent while throwing it. The boomerang serves as a great damage-racker, spacer, and a distraction to cover and approach.

Down Special: Bomb
Does 5% with light throw/ Does 6-8% with strong throw or drop
Very low knock back

This should be used as the main multi-purpose projectile. It has decent starting lag, so do not use it when an opponent is too close. Bombs provide the holder with near limitless possibilities. They can be plainly thrown to rack up damage. Bombs also make an amazing approach if a bomb is thrown at the opponent followed by you running up and attacking. A Z-Air can be used while holding a bomb by hitting R+A to continue having other attack options. Bombs are helpful if you are not willing to chase an opponent like Metaknight off the stage. They can make great bait, too. If an opponent is above you, you can throw a bomb at them, and if they dodge it, you can hit them with an aerial as they are coming out of the animation. Check the AT section for more information.

Up Special: Spin Attack
Does 3-15% uncharged depending on DI/ Does 5-22% charged depending on DI
Low knockback

This moves serves the purpose of punishing rolls and dodges. It should not be used too often due to its large starting and ending lag, as well as being able to be DIed out of. When in the air, this move serves as a far-reaching recovery. It can also be used to follow opponents of the top of the screen.

Standard Moves:

Standard A,A,A combo:
First Hit: Does 3% No knockback
Second Hit: Does 2% No knockback
Third Hit: Does 5% Low knockback
This is a good all-around basic attack. It can be used to stop approaches, punish rolls and dodges, rack up damage, or in between other attacks just a something the switch up attacks. The last attacked can be cancelled and followed up by a different attack to take its place. See the AT section for more on this.

Forward Tilt:
Does 9%
Medium knockback

It has taken me a while to figure out how to add this move into my game. It has decent knockback, so it can kill at higher percentages. It hits in the air and a little bit above him, but it’s a little slow. The main use I have found for this move is a follow up to a Zair. At higher percentages, a Z-Air seems to put the opponent in about the right place to finish for a forward tilt. This should be followed up with edge-guarding to get a kill.

Up Tilt:
Does 9%
High knockback

Good for juggling opponents at lower percentages. Works usually to about 25%. Also, at higher percentages, this makes an amazingly fast K.O. move. I recommend using it at low percentages and then saving it for higher percentages like around 160% for a kill.

Down Tilt:
Does 9%
Low knockback

Overall, this move seems to be pretty useless. The only time I recommend ever using it is when your opponent is against a wall. You can usually hit with at least ten of these before they can DI out.

Smashes:

Forward Smash:
First Hit: Does 10% uncharged/ Does 14% charged No knockback
Second Hit: Does 13% uncharged/ Does 18% charged Insanely high knockback

The usefulness of this move seems to vary greatly. Firstly, it does a great job of damage-racking. 23% is a lot of damage for one attack. Secondly, it makes for an insanely powerful K.O. move. Near the edge of Final Destination, this move can usually K.O. around 80% if not deteriorated. I recommend using it no more that once or twice at low percentages and than save it for the kill. This move does come equipped with many flaws, though. The ending lag after the second hit is very punishable. Also, the second hit of this attack can often be DIed out of. If it is not perfectly executed, a player can TDI and SDI out of the second hit by DIing up. Still, with how low this move can K.O., it makes a great kill move.

Up Smash:
Does 15% uncharged/ Does 21% charged
Very high knockback

This moves comes out very quickly and powerfully. At lower percentages, it can lead into combos. At higher percentages, it is one of Toon Link’s best and most efficient kill move. Also, if it does not kill, the opponent will be in a great place to finish off with and Up Aerial.

Down Smash:
Does 17% uncharged/ Does 23-24% charged
Very high knock back
At low percentages, strange, extremely far horizontal knockback

This is another of Toon Link’s amazing smashes. It is his least powerful in terms of killing, but it comes out very fast with good range, making it a great all-around punishing and KOing move. At low percentages, around the 25% and lower range, this attack sends characters flying of the side of the stage behind Toon Link. Followed up with a well-timed edge-hog, this is a guaranteed kill for certain character like Olimar or Ivysaur.

Aerials:

Neutral Aerial:
First Hit: Does 10% Medium knockback
Second Hit: Does 10% Medium knockback

This move should most likely be your most used move. It’s fast, does great damage (especially if both attacks hit), and has good knockback for how fast it is. It has good range and can easily be combined with proper DI to make it unpunishable. Also, this attack can be landed in a quickdraw, which should almost always be done as it helps with spacing, damage-racking, and just overall annoying your opponent. Great move to use a lot..

Forward Aerial:
Does 13%
High knockback

Like the Neutral Aerial, this move can also end in a quickdraw, and it should be. It is a little too slow to be a consistent approach, but it has a lot of power behind it, making another great kill move. Works well as a finisher if the opponent is off the stage.

Back Aerial: How did I forget this?...
Does 10%
Low Knockback

This move is widely considered Toon Link's best aerial. It is very quick and two Bairs can be done in one short hop.
At low percentages, this move can be combo'd into itself many times, and, if desperate, can be followed by a dair, but only as a last resort. This move is a great approach, especially if combined with a reverse aerial rush, and if it hits a shield, can instantly be DIed away to avoid punishment. Use this very often, especially at low percentages.

Up Aerial:
Does 12%
Insanely high knockback

This is easily one of the best Up Aerials in the game. This can kill at grossly low percentages, it beats out close to all other attacks that come in contact with it, and it lingers, making it very hard to avoid if you follow the opponents DI. I usually will throw up a bomb, and depending on if the bomb hits or is dodged, follow it up with this move. This move should always be saved for killing.

Down Aerial:
Does 13% on first time down/ Does 8% if after a bounce
Medium knockback if opponent is on the ground.
Insanely powerful downwards knockback if hit in the air at beginning of move.

This is Toon Link’s most unique aerial. It is extremely powerful and bounces off opponents and shields, resulting in it being able to hit twice at low percentages. At very high percentages, it can K.O., but I am talking about close to the 200% range. It should not be used too often due to its atrocious ending lag when it hits the ground, but it is a great move to have as it prevents opponents from chasing you off the top of the screen. It also prevents opponents from being able to wait below you while you are in the air to land as the use an upsmash.

This move also serves the purpose of a powerful, yet cripplingly risky spike. If hit by this move during the beginning of it, it will send an opponent plummeting to their death, but if it misses, your life is forfeit. I recommend only using it as a last-ditch effort. Also, if you stand at the edge of a stage and use it, you will hit the stage but your opponent hanging off of the ledge will be spiked.

Grabs and Z-Air:

Z-air:
Does 4%
Very low knockback

This is one of Toon Link’s most effective and useful moves. It comes out fast and is excellent for spacing. It is also TL’s best combo starter. At lower percentages, I like to use Zair, and then follow it up with a Nair to a quickdraw. It is not a guaranteed combo, but it usually works. Zairs can also be followed up with grabs and other things such as Forward Tilts. Use this move often!

Forward Throw:
Does 7%
Low knockback

Just your basic, standard throw. It’s very weak and doesn’t really set up for anything. Only good for throwing characters of the edge.

Back Throw:
Does 7%
Low knockback

Basically the same type of thing as Forward throw. Does not set up for anything great.

Down Throw:
Does 7%
Very low knockback

This is by far Toon Link’s best throw. At low percentages against characters like Spacies it works as a psuedo chain-grab. This throw is also amazing for setting up back aerial combos.

Up Throw:
Does 7%
Low knockback

This move can kill at very high percentages, but it isn’t practical. It’s best use is to set up of an Up Aerial.

Grab Release:
Does no damage
Set knockback

Toon Link does not have any special grab releases as of yet. I will do more testing.

Pummel:
Does 2% each hit
No knockback

Fast enough pummel to not have your grab broken if used. I recommend always using at least one.

Advanced Techniques:

Quick Draw: This is done by hitting B with correct timing right before hitting the ground. The result should be an arrow fired with
much shorter-than-normal start-up lag. This is an extremely important technique for Toon Link as most of his aerials can be
landed in a Quick Draw. Use this whenever you can.

Short Hop Double Arrow (SHDA): This is done by shorthopping and immediately hitting B as you start jumping. You must then
hit B one more time with good timing before hitting the ground. The result will be having two arrows fired in a short amount of
time, as part of the animation for the second shot should be canceled.

Forward Smash while Holding a Bomb: There are a few ways to do this. The way I recommend is as you are drawing a bomb, hold the A button. After the bomb is drawn, if you hit the C-Stick to the side and release S, the result will be performing a forward smash while holding a bomb.
Another way to do this is to perform a roll and hold A during the rolling animation. After this, do the same thing as
previously listed.

Bomb Drop:
This is done be pushing the Z button right before you touch the ground while holding a bomb. The result should be the bomb to be placed on the ground without exploding.

Bomb Slide: To do this, first preform a bomb drop. Next, preform a Dair close to the bomb on one side of it. The bomb will slide due to the push created by Toon Link's Dair.

Performing an Aerial while Holding a Bomb: To do this, first preform a jump. When at the peak of the jump, press Z to drop the bomb. After this, you can use any aerial to catch the bomb, resulting in you doing an aerial while having a bomb.

Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR): This can be done by running in one direction, slamming the control stick in the opposite direction and short-hopping. While traveling backwards, use your back Aerial. What should happen is your character turns backwards while maintaining forwards momentum, letting you approach with a Back Aerial. This is very important for Toon Link.

Zair Through the Stage: This can only be done on certain stages such as Battlefield and Smashville, with large flat ledges. To do this, grab the ledge, then drop down and do a Zair as you are jumping back to the stage. The result should be your chain goes through the stage as an attack.
Here's a video of this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwagLhU4kGw

Getting up from the ledge

This is meant to be a list of diffrent ways on getting off the ledge. I have always found Toon Link to have some trouble getting back onto the stage. If anyone else could help add anything to the list, it would be appreciated. KTHNX

Standing up onto Stage doing Nothing : Just standing up from the ledge by pressing the shield button.

Advantages: Can shield quickly, Unexpected, Lets you start attacking again without much lag

Disadvantages: Extremely Vulnerable, slow and easy to react to a punish

Rolling onto Stage: This is done by tilting the analog stick toward the stage.

Advantages: Put you in a decent position to attack again, difficult to punish, no noticable lag after roll.

Disadvantages: If predicted can cause being hit by an attack, roll will usually end very close to the opponent making you open to attacks.

Using Recovery Attack: Hitting A or B causing Toon Link to slash or stab while recovering.

Advantages: Does decent damages with enough knockback to not be punished, goes further with more knockback and damage when over 100% damage.

Disadvantages: Can be shield-grabbed easily, can be out-spaced resulting in getting thrown back off the edge, slow with large ending lag

Using Short-Hopped Nair to Get onto the Stage: Done by pressing down on the analog stick and quickly tapping jump while hitting the A button.

Advantages: Extremelly quick attack, does great damage with decent knockback, difficult to be shield-grabbed if you DI away, allows for landing on the stage with zero lag.

Disadvantages: Extremelly predictable, if opponent spaces with a longer ranged attack they can easily hit you, getting hit during it results in you being farther away from the with no jumps left. <br style="mso-special-character: line-break;" /><br style="mso-special-character: line-break;" />

Using Short-Hopped Fair: Press down on analog stick then quickly press jump while hitting foward and A.

Advatages: High damage and great knockback(can kill all the way from off the ledge to the other side at higher percantages), difficult to shield-grab, unexpected.

Disadvantages: Very slow, easy to space against, can leave you off the edge with no more jumps. <br style="mso-special-character: line-break;" />

Using Uair under the Stage: Dropping under the stage and hitting up and A, poking your sword through the stage. (Does not work on all stages. Some of the better ones to use this are Lylat, Battle Field, and Final Destination.

Advantages: Very hard to anticipate, hard to punish, can kill at low percentages if undeteriorated(around 110%), intimidates opponents from getting too close while trying to edgegaurd, really freaking funny if you kill with it.

Disadvantages: Easy to accidentally kill yourself, if anticipated can lead to being spiked, forces you to use up-B to recover.

Projectiles

Using Bombs to get Back: Dropping down, pushing down-B, returning to the ledge, throwing bomb towards opponent.

Advantages: Makes getting back on stage much easier, great if opponent is further away, good way to change up recovery, forces opponent to react to bomb, letting you get back on stage while your opponent is dealing with the bomb.

Disadvantages: Bomb can easily hit you also, opponent knows what you will do, can not use arials(without bomb-dropping), gives opponent an oppurtunity to spike you while pulling out a bomb, bombs can easily be caught.

Using Arrows to get Back: Pushing down on the analog stick, short-hopping, and pressing B.

Advantages: Have good range, forces opponent to shield, dodge, or get hit while you are returning, giving you a lot of help.

Disadvantages: Slow, little damage, vulnerable to attacks during start up and ending lag, oppurtunity to be spiked.

Using Boomerang to Recover: Dropping down or away from the stage, short-hopping, and pressing side-B.

Advantages: Decent knockback, good damage, forces opponent to deal with the boomerang while you recover.

Disadvantages: Slow, oppurtunity to be spiked, easily punished.

Tether Techniques

Tether Faking: Jumping away from the ledge and regrabbing it with Z.

Advantages: Tricks oppents into attacking which can be punished, makes recovering less predictable, gives invincibility frames when regrabbing the wall.

Disadvantages: Can only be used three times before touching the ground again.

Unsweet-spotted Zair: Done by dropping down to the flat part of a stages edge and hitting Z while jumping, causing the Zair to go through the stage.

Advantages: Long range, hard to predict, nearly impossible to punish if spaced properly, leads into many combos.

Disadvantages: Can only be done on certain stages with flattish edges (Battlefield, parts of Halberd, Smashville, and a few others), easy to do it wrong and grab edge, leaves you VERY open if you do it wrong.

Further In-depth guides written by others

Analyzing Proctile Properties: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208562

Bombing Like a Pro: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172216

Edde's Advanced Toon Link Techniques: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=166454

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Moar bomb stuff -_-
like...

Invincibomb :)
And stuff like dropping the bomb onto the stage when you jump from the edge (not edge hop but jump by pressing Y/X)
and other stuff...

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
There is so much that this guide is missing. I recomend you have a look through the other guides then update this. You've got the bare basics, but a good start all the same. I'll check up on this every now and then to see how its going. (how long did it take you to write this? Good effort.)

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
There is so much that this guide is missing.)
Oh... Alright... Link me to your guide so I can add things...

Oh wait...

I will continue editing this guide, but it is by no means a failure.
It was origanally on AllisBrawl, but it recieved little feedback, so I didn't feel like bothering to continue contributing. Hopefully here I will actually be able to let it grow.

Also, if someone would like the write something for me to put it the guide, I would be glad to add it and attribute it to you

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh... Alright... Link me to your guide so I can add things...

Oh wait...

I will continue editing this guide, but it is by no means a failure.
Hey I never said it was a failure. You've done some great work. All I was saying is I don't think this is finished. I appologise if you've taken me the wrong way and I look forward to seeing this when it's done.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Oh, sorry about taking that too hard. I made an entire guide on recovering with Toon Link on AllisBrawl.
Should I post it on this guide, post it on these forrums, or just link it on this guide?

Also, anyone got anything for Dtilt?

flareaga

Smash Cadet
I say all these TL guides need to be meshed together to save board space.

If you Creaters can get together and figure out whats out of date, that' d be great...maybe a n00b guide and a combo guide...

Anyway this is nice, I'm using this for practice sessions now. I'm new here and finding all these stickeys hard to navagate to find what I want.

Kiyokiyo

Smash Rookie
Hmm very nice guide. I think I may start trying to get better at Toon Link some moar and see where it takes me. :D

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Gigantic-*** section added on returning from the ledge.
Will add more later, and with sasukebowser's permision, link his vid of him
doing ledge tricks

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I still sorta want to know more about the Zair through the stage.

Its like... the one thing I can't do right consecutively. >____<
Idk what I'm doing wrong.

eddy49

Smash Rookie
Good guide I will definatly use this to help increase my game, its quite organized!

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Dude, this is 5 months old. Please don't bump it.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Since there are all ready sufficient TL stickied threads, this will remain closed until further notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom