• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Kirby advice videos: New video 11/13!

Mr.CreamCakes

Smash Cadet
Alright guys, if you can think of any uses for the following customs please lemme know. Think outside the box if you have to. I'm basically thinking these customs are crap.

-Wave Cutter. A strong projectile, but it's still telegraphed and slow as far as projectiles go. Also gimps your recovery, not worth it.

-Hammer Bash. Lets you stall in the air when combined with jumps, otherwise it's pretty useless. Slightly faster than the default hammer, but in that case you might as well use a smash.

-Giant Hammer. Can KO even earlier than Hammer Flip when you break someone's shield. Good in doubles for that reason. The slow speed takes away all its viability in the air. Does it actually have super armor during the regular swing, and can anyone provide video evidence of this? Or video evidence of fully charged Hammer Flip's super armor?

-Grounding Stone. Only good on stage, which means it's ridiculously punishable. Takes longer to transform too. You have no way to speed it up. If you manage to bury someone, then you can hammer them or whatever, but buried opponents take less knockback. Not worth it.

-Meteor Stone. Obviously it's a very nice meteor if you can land it offstage, but "it takes longer to transform back" so it's even riskier. I would just stick with regular Stone and Dair to cover meteor options, but I can see this being viable if you're extremely careful.
Hammer bash is actually stronger than an uncharged smash attack, so it's great for reads and great if u can incorperate it in a combos. All so if u get the first hit in the air, then the second is guaranteed. imo it's the best one

Also the recovery that goes vertically straight and puts him in free fall is the best because it sweet spots the ledge, has a hitbox, and sometimes and out of shield option. Since it sweet spots the ledge it's more safe and harder to gimp. The fact that it goes higher also helps

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Alright, I've tested and seen firsthand how Giant Hammer gets super armor while charging (not at the very beginning, and not while swinging, so that's super unfortunate) and the super armor for Hammer Flip's fully charged swing. No need to get video evidence!

Yes, Upper Cutter is amazing, and I'll go into that a bit in my video.

And I tested Hammer Bash a bit, it is pretty strong, kills mario at about 100 on FD with no DI. It seems like a viable option to switch to if you want. Hammer Flip comes out at the same/about the same speed, and the option to charge it helps against counters/spotdodges.

The Specials section of my video is finished, I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to go over EVERY move Kirby has ._.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Right! I guess I should have clarify when your super armor occurs and ends for both moves. I'm glad you know I am not full of it.

While it is unfortunate, it will be too broken if Giant Hammer kept its Super Armor during the Swing. It is move is much easier to abuse than Hammer Flip since you can tank the hit and release the swing while your opponent is recovering. Where as Hammer Flip you need to time it.

So is Hammer Bash "stronger" than Hammer Flip Uncharged Swing? Since it kills sooner than HF?

Excellent! I look follow to see how to improve my Kirby. Hmm... it is up to you. I believe your first video cover most of it. The rest you can experiment or read through the threads.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm still working on it slowly. My first video(s) went up quickly because they were just like, first week advice, I want this one to be a little more thorough... but if I do that I'll probably end up making it TOO long/thorough ._.
I won't go over every single move, but I guess I'll try to talk more about the important ones and try to go into what things NOT to do and stuff

this is hard

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I'm still working on it slowly. My first video(s) went up quickly because they were just like, first week advice, I want this one to be a little more thorough... but if I do that I'll probably end up making it TOO long/thorough ._.
I won't go over every single move, but I guess I'll try to talk more about the important ones and try to go into what things NOT to do and stuff

this is hard
Oh, I see. It is fine. Take your time. I was just wondering.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Wave cutter can KO and does like 15% damage. I like upper cutter but wave does have edgeguard benefits.

Hammer bash kills off the top before Usmash does.
Technically with jump makes your vertical recovery stronger in raw distance.
Great punish on laggy moves as its KO values are solid.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I knew all of what was included in that video, except for a few (which I have questions on!)

- I've barely ever used it for edgeguarding, so I'd like some insight - how can I use D-Smash for edgeguarding? Won't the ledge snap function usually whiff the move?

- What ledge options does Stone beat if used on the slopes of Yoshi's Island? It beat Diddy's Ledge Attack, which is great, but what else?

---

Other than that, I actually didn't know that Final Cutter goes higher on the ground, haha. I also never knew that Ice Breath was that good. After playing a bit with Wasoodle, though, B-Reversed Ice Breath is pretty darn good.

---

A few tips going off of your video:

Meteor Stone actually is pretty nice, especially against characters such as DHD and Villager who have recoveries that are very pronounced and slow. It's also great to catch ledge-campers, and if you trump an opponent, you can ledge jump into a Meteor Stone, as their ledge invincibility is removed. When used off-stage, you want to get out of it as fast as possible, as you seem to fall faster than regular Stone, and can end up SDing if you're not careful. The fact that Kirby can cancel Stone on-hit now makes it a lot less riskier from SDs if you land it.

Upper Cutter is a great bait move, and helps with combos. Set-ups for kills include Copy > Reversed Upper Cutter, D-Air > U-Tilt > Upper Cutter, and after an U-Air. If you're trying to chase opponents and kill them off the top with Upper Cutter, bait out their airdodge then punish them. Also, don't use it too much, or it'll become incredibly predictable. It's great to finish off combos, such as U-Tilt > U-Air strings, as it's disjointed hitbox gives it superior reach. Try to bait characters that like to edgeguard, such as Villager and Jigglypuff to come off of the stage, and you can Upper Cutter them for a stage spike.

Kirby has one of the best ledge games, if not THE BEST ledge game in Sm4sh. Trumping to B-Air or U-Air can keep your opponent off the stage for a while, and if you use a custom that allows you to get back to the ledge faster, such as Upper Cutter, you can keep at it for a while. When they eventually start coming to recover from below, D-Air, B-Air Stage Spike, or Upper Cutter Stage Spike will be useful. Abuse Kirby's ledge game, as it's incredibly incredible (lol).

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
- I've barely ever used it for edgeguarding, so I'd like some insight - how can I use D-Smash for edgeguarding? Won't the ledge snap function usually whiff the move?
If they don't auto ledgesnap (think Pit's recovery if he's too close) or if they just regrabbed the ledge, they won't have ledge invulnerability, so Dsmash is easy to hit them with.

- What ledge options does Stone beat if used on the slopes of Yoshi's Island? It beat Diddy's Ledge Attack, which is great, but what else?
I have no idea, it's mostly useful if they're coming from directly below you to recover, along the wall. It might work on big characters if they do regular ledge standup, idk. It's just an option to keep in mind, not an end-all.

The fact that Kirby can cancel Stone on-hit now makes it a lot less riskier from SDs if you land it.
We should figure out how stone canceling works, I still don't fully understand. When you hit someone, can you immediately transform out by hitting B, no matter what? Because sometimes I feel like you can't. Although today I hit a Shy Guy on Yoshi's Island and was able to transform back right away, that was hilarious.

Upper Cutter is a great bait move, and helps with combos. Set-ups for kills include Copy > Reversed Upper Cutter, D-Air > U-Tilt > Upper Cutter, and after an U-Air. If you're trying to chase opponents and kill them off the top with Upper Cutter, bait out their airdodge then punish them. Also, don't use it too much, or it'll become incredibly predictable. It's great to finish off combos, such as U-Tilt > U-Air strings, as it's disjointed hitbox gives it superior reach. Try to bait characters that like to edgeguard, such as Villager and Jigglypuff to come off of the stage, and you can Upper Cutter them for a stage spike.
Agreed. I used it in the tournament today, it really makes Kirby a much better character. I'll upload those videos sometime.

Kirby has one of the best ledge games, if not THE BEST ledge game in Sm4sh. Trumping to B-Air or U-Air can keep your opponent off the stage for a while, and if you use a custom that allows you to get back to the ledge faster, such as Upper Cutter, you can keep at it for a while. When they eventually start coming to recover from below, D-Air, B-Air Stage Spike, or Upper Cutter Stage Spike will be useful. Abuse Kirby's ledge game, as it's incredibly incredible (lol).
Yep

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Lol, I used Meteor Stone on the slope of Yoshi's Island against Fox while he was getting up. It meteor'd him into the slope, and he bounced off of it into his death. Not sure what percent he was at, but it wasn't that high. It was hilarious to watch, though.

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
thanks for the vid asdioh. I'm excited for kirby's potential on wii u and I hope to add some input to make kirby stronger. Can't say I'm much of a fan for using custom moves, but if they are tourney viable then its something I will look into.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Upper cutter is wonderful. As for meteor stone.. eh. I prefer normal stone still, but meteor stone did lead to a funny moment when reserved and I were playing "for fun free for alls- I used meteor stone and killed two of the other fighters at once, (as well as myself by mistake) It was great, especially since one of them was playing villager.

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
Giant Hammer is amazing it can kill at percentages as low as 15. It has a lot of heavy armor on it and can punish any attack Kirby gets hit but for a K.O. You don't take damage after 100 so you can essentially camp if your opponent is too scared to approach. This move has heavy armor during the charge and super during the swing meaning you have a very high chance of not receiving any KB if you were to get countered.

I get a lot of surprise kills with the meteor stone upper cutter combo. If they catch on then I just dair for the kill.

Ice breath crushes anyone who has a bad copy ability. Just space and give them that minty fresh.

Jumping inhale should be used if your opponent has a decent power. Mix it up between inhaling and copying.

Grounding stone has me at a loss.

MaximTomato

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0313-9599
I wasn't a fan of custom moves at first but after trying them out, they are actually amazing. It's like tweeting the character to your style of play. Upper cutter is amazing both used defensively when off stage to kill or when used on stage to kill at high percents (~150%) Jumping inhale is a great help when recovering and allows you to surprise edge guarders when you jump at them lol. I feel meteor stone can be useful too as another kill option we have. It feels like it takes forever to cancel out of it when your falling like a brick.

2Mixer

Smash Apprentice
Good Stuff there man
we need to play more, i want to kick europes ass with kirby!

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
Great video, I learned quite a bit, but is it possible to lengthen the time the text stays up in your future videos? I couldn't finish reading them by the time they transitioned, especially parts with a lot of text.

Top Bottom