• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Kirby advice videos: New video 11/13!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
For Glorious Kirby - Advice on winning For Glory from the first week: http://youtu.be/BQcJmfMWk8Q

Just a small tips/tricks/advice video to help those that are either new to Kirby, or just need some general advice on how to do better in matches. Some of it may be obvious, some of it maybe not so much. I might do more videos in the future, hitting on specific aspects of play, if I see something that can be addressed.

F-air on heavies is strong: http://youtu.be/o1hViNf-T5w

Uptilt combos and more: http://youtu.be/TeA8j-E1Rm4

In-depth tricks and advice: http://youtu.be/yquMqKNNuS4

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Asdioh, thank you for this. You're truly helping develop Kirby as a character, and it's amazing. I really hope you know just how much you and @t!MmY are doing for Kirby as a character.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
Very, very well done video. I've been trying to get good at Kirby for a while now and it never really worked.

A few things definitely clicked for me after watching this though. Thanks a bunch!

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
let's be honest it's mostly good because 100% Orange Juice music is hype

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
quick video: F-air on heavies is strong: http://youtu.be/o1hViNf-T5w

I have a video on the works about making the most of uptilt combos, will take more effort than this quick video so it could be a while.

Sugawolf

Smash Rookie
I'm assuming Bowser had no means of escaping those F-airs? If that's the case then this is beautiful. So damn beautiful.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
He might have been able to airdodge? It's hard to tell though. You can see him getting the beginnings of some actions out, but it's not enough... basically it's a very bad spot for him. I imagine it would work best on Bowser/DK as they're big, heavy, and have gimpable recoveries. Also would probably work pretty well on Bowser Jr, Charizard, Ganondorf, Ike, Dedede, ROB, maybe Samus.

Side note: turns out Bowser's upsmash "-Has shellguard on the active frames of the rising potion of the attack, shellguard nullifies any hitboxes it touches."
I just went to the Bowser boards to check, because I saw a Bowser charging Upsmash yesterday, so I was like "Hey free Stone on him!" and then he just shredded right through the Stone, took no damage, then I got sent flying (and I think I took damage too, not quite sure how Stone works in this game yet)

Sugawolf

Smash Rookie
Yeah now that I look at it again, it seems that if he tried to air dodge instead of jump or attack on some of those earlier fairs, he might have been able to escape.

Regardless, that is a conscious effort. Also, once you started racking up damage and took him offstage, it seemed like he was still in the hitlag by the time you nailed him with another one.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I love doing that to people, destroyed a few players that way.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
He might have been able to airdodge? It's hard to tell though. You can see him getting the beginnings of some actions out, but it's not enough... basically it's a very bad spot for him. I imagine it would work best on Bowser/DK as they're big, heavy, and have gimpable recoveries. Also would probably work pretty well on Bowser Jr, Charizard, Ganondorf, Ike, Dedede, ROB, maybe Samus.

Side note: turns out Bowser's upsmash "-Has shellguard on the active frames of the rising potion of the attack, shellguard nullifies any hitboxes it touches."
I just went to the Bowser boards to check, because I saw a Bowser charging Upsmash yesterday, so I was like "Hey free Stone on him!" and then he just shredded right through the Stone, took no damage, then I got sent flying (and I think I took damage too, not quite sure how Stone works in this game yet)
Yeah, I got a 0 to Death on Samus, and killed Mario at 16% using F-Air strings.

The Samus player was really bad, though. He could have recovered by using a tether or something.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I wish you could send replays in this game. It would make it easier to record some things.
I also wish you could MOVE THE TIME IN REPLAYS thanks a lot nintendo jeeeeeez

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
For Glorious Kirby - Advice on winning For Glory from the first week: http://youtu.be/BQcJmfMWk8Q

Just a small tips/tricks/advice video to help those that are either new to Kirby, or just need some general advice on how to do better in matches. Some of it may be obvious, some of it maybe not so much. I might do more videos in the future, hitting on specific aspects of play, if I see something that can be addressed.

OMG this is what I'm searching for! I want to improve my use with Kirby 10 fold! Thanks for doing this!

Sugawolf

Smash Rookie
U-tilt is pretty damn amazing :p

I find that racking up damage is the easiest thing with Kirby. It's the kills that are giving me trouble. There have been so many games where I've gotten a big early lead but I could not for the life of me finish them off until they caught up.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Personally I've missed tons of kos because I find smashing ridiculously hard on 3ds, especially after landing dairs. I'm excited for wiiu version.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Personally I've missed tons of kos because I find smashing ridiculously hard on 3ds, especially after landing dairs. I'm excited for wiiu version.
I have terrible troubles with Smash Attacks after a D-Air, and usually miss a kill by tilting instead of smashing. My other biggest problem is SHing is really difficult for me on the 3DS.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I switched my controls to emulate the gamecube controller: I made R grab and L shield... you know, like has been the game's standard (right index finger for grab, left index finger for shield) for 15 years, ever since N64. I made AX jump, B is standard attacks, and Y is specials. Hitting A->B definitely made short hopping aerials easier than X->A. Nothing can help smashes though, yes I almost always do an Ftilt after Dair when I'm trying to do any kind of smash.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I have terrible troubles with Smash Attacks after a D-Air, and usually miss a kill by tilting instead of smashing. My other biggest problem is SHing is really difficult for me on the 3DS.
So glad it isn't just me having these problems.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman

Uptilt combos and more: http://youtu.be/TeA8j-E1Rm4

Holy crap. You're a monster. I'm adding kirby to the mains when I can replicate that 1st video. Keep up the great work.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm thinking of making a video showcasing every one of Kirby's moves and the various possibilities with it.
For example, did you know grounded Final Cutter goes higher than aerial? So it's just like Brawl, where if you do a grounded FC on the bottom of battlefield, you'll land on the top platform, but if you jump and instantly do the aerial one, you'll stay below the platform and land back on the main stage. I'd also be trying to go into more advanced things and techniques etc.
So if anyone has some suggestions I may not have thought of I'm all ears.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Yeah that will be nice. Will you go over Custom Moves as well? I really what I know the point to Wave Cutter.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm gonna mention Upper Cutter and Jumping Inhale, and a bit of Ice Breath (this move has some use I guess, it's not as bad as I thought) but the other customs really just don't seem good. Wave Cutter, you get a better (but still bad) projectile, at the cost of having a horrible recovery. It's just not worth it. The stones are both bad due to their lag, and giant hammer is SUPER slow, you can use that if you want I guess? The rising hammer thing is ok but eh.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Ah, I see. Well, it will be great seeing what hidden techniques you discover about Upper Cutter and Jumping Inhale. Ice Breath? Really? Hmm... I have to see what utilities it has because we all know Freeze Status sucks in Smash (minus the Freeze Item). Wave Cutter is stronger and quicker but I believe Final Cutter is overall better (at least the blade can cancel out projectiles). I agree with Stone Custom. Meteor Stone pops you up in the air when you activate it on the ground. Hammer Bash is sort of a downgrade once you get used to Hammer Flip. Giant Hammer is great against someone that is aggressive or spamming projectile due to super armor during Charge Up. Also, the Full Charge Swing occurs at the same speed as Normal one.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
I'm growing to love Upper cutter, though I'm still learning to use Jump Inhale. It's already saved me from the edge numerous times, though it does throw me off when I forget about having it equipped and go for a copy ability. I'm starting to prefer Hammer Flip to Hammer Bash. Simply because of the pressure it puts on people. In teams I've used hammer flip to psyche the enemy out while my team mate ran up and killed them. I do wish we could break shields with the fully charged hit instead of just severely eating through them, especially with how quickly shields recharge. Usually the enemy just rolls away or runs, and we're too slow to pursue/follow up.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Jump inhale seems REALLY good. I've had more success eating opponents with it than regular inhale and the recover is awesome too. You do it below a ledge and it'll still get you above the ledge and back on the platform, lol.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Jump inhale seems REALLY good. I've had more success eating opponents with it than regular inhale and the recover is awesome too. You do it below a ledge and it'll still get you above the ledge and back on the platform, lol.

I love jump inhale, my only gripe about it is we can't cancel out of it.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
What are good ways to use Hammer Flip?
Hmm... with mind games, bro. Most opponents don't know that Hammer Flip doesn't have super armor while charging so they let you fully charged it. When you perform a fully charged swing, you have super armor (only on the ground). So it good for reversal tactics. Next, you have an opponent that like to Air Dodge lot? Punish the air dodge recovery with an Aerial Hammer Flip - The slow/delay swing will catch the opponent.

Got an opponent that like to side Dodge and he at kill percentage? Hammer that sucker.
How about he/she loves planking or catching the ledge. Charge the Hammer see what he/she will do. If the opponent attacks, release the hammer (super armor got you). Tries to jump, Release the hammer! Rolls? Turn around and Release. Stay on the ledge? Move closer then Release.

Remember you can Jump while charging the hammer. It is better to Jump behind the opponent than to turn around (because turning is slow).

Perform a Hammer Dance (by turning or Jumping) to charge the hammer faster (placebo effect) and screw with your opponent's minds (not a placebo effect).

Also, Counter Users seem to love a Flaming Hot Mallet in their mouth for some reasons.

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
Hmm... with mind games, bro. Most opponents don't know that Hammer Flip doesn't have super armor while charging so they let you fully charged it. When you perform a fully charged swing, you have super armor (only on the ground). So it good for reversal tactics. Next, you have an opponent that like to Air Dodge lot? Punish the air dodge recovery with an Aerial Hammer Flip - The slow/delay swing will catch the opponent.

Got an opponent that like to side Dodge and he at kill percentage? Hammer that sucker.
How about he/she loves planking or catching the ledge. Charge the Hammer see what he/she will do. If the opponent attacks, release the hammer (super armor got you). Tries to jump, Release the hammer! Rolls? Turn around and Release. Stay on the ledge? Move closer then Release.

Remember you can Jump while charging the hammer. It is better to Jump behind the opponent than to turn around (because turning is slow).

Perform a Hammer Dance (by turning or Jumping) to charge the hammer faster (placebo effect) and screw with your opponent's minds (not a placebo effect).

Also, Counter Users seem to love a Flaming Hot Mallet in their mouth for some reasons.
Perfect.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Alright guys, if you can think of any uses for the following customs please lemme know. Think outside the box if you have to. I'm basically thinking these customs are crap.

-Wave Cutter. A strong projectile, but it's still telegraphed and slow as far as projectiles go. Also gimps your recovery, not worth it.

-Hammer Bash. Lets you stall in the air when combined with jumps, otherwise it's pretty useless. Slightly faster than the default hammer, but in that case you might as well use a smash.

-Giant Hammer. Can KO even earlier than Hammer Flip when you break someone's shield. Good in doubles for that reason. The slow speed takes away all its viability in the air. Does it actually have super armor during the regular swing, and can anyone provide video evidence of this? Or video evidence of fully charged Hammer Flip's super armor?

-Grounding Stone. Only good on stage, which means it's ridiculously punishable. Takes longer to transform too. You have no way to speed it up. If you manage to bury someone, then you can hammer them or whatever, but buried opponents take less knockback. Not worth it.

-Meteor Stone. Obviously it's a very nice meteor if you can land it offstage, but "it takes longer to transform back" so it's even riskier. I would just stick with regular Stone and Dair to cover meteor options, but I can see this being viable if you're extremely careful.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Alright guys, if you can think of any uses for the following customs please lemme know. Think outside the box if you have to. I'm basically thinking these customs are crap.

-Wave Cutter. A strong projectile, but it's still telegraphed and slow as far as projectiles go. Also gimps your recovery, not worth it.
This move is larger and travels slightly further than Final Cutter and you can spam this move faster. However, you cannot cancel other projectiles. So it is useless unless you like Spamming Up B or Building damage at a distance. Might be good against someone who has a good Horizontal Recovery like Fox/Falco, Villager, Ike, etc. Not only is the knockback decent but it force them to come below the stage.

-Hammer Bash. Lets you stall in the air when combined with jumps, otherwise it's pretty useless. Slightly faster than the default hammer, but in that case you might as well use a smash.
Faster but the range is shorter than the Brawl Version. Both Aerial Hits will always connect. You know those character with good Vertical Recovery. You might want to test this on them for stage spike or a strong aerial move. It might have more tech but right now it is not as fun as Hammer Flip.

-Giant Hammer. Can KO even earlier than Hammer Flip when you break someone's shield. Good in doubles for that reason. The slow speed takes away all its viability in the air. Does it actually have super armor during the regular swing, and can anyone provide video evidence of this? Or video evidence of fully charged Hammer Flip's super armor?
No, it doesn't. Giant Hammer only have super armor during the charge. Once you swing, you lose the super armor - both in regular and charged swings. Hmm... sure! Once I return home I will post a video about it since no one seems to believe me >.>.

No comment on Stones except for you cannot Rock Slide with Meteor Stone or Burial Lock someone with Grounded Stone.
I respond within the quote.

Last edited:
Top Bottom