• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

my goal: be a different smasher

Dark Pie 1001

Smash Rookie
hello smashers! as you can see by the title i want to different by not using top tirers why? because i can and yes the ones you see in the sig below are ones i wanna main. i have learned how they play on my own as you all know i like low-mid tiers. oh yes call me DP Dark or Pie. i know ppl have there own opention ( cant spell!:rolleyes:) on things im very open minded so share your thoghts (eh..:ohwell:) with me! :awesome:

Watofu

Smash Rookie
Low tier heroes are cool but just don't turn into one of those people that always johns about their character. No one likes the players that only pick a low tier just so they can always have an excuse when they lose

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I thought Doc was mid tier. Either way, I hope those characters work out for you.
By the way, I see you play GnW and I'm thinking of dropping Young Link for him. I just remember my friend being amazed that I knew 'how to use' GnW playing Melee when we were younger.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
hello smashers! as you can see by the title i want to different by not using top tirers why? because i can and yes the ones you see in the sig below are ones i wanna main.
The low tiers always need more people to play them! Personally I really like Yoshi and think he has the tools to take out the high tiers with relative ease but he's underdeveloped compared to like Fox/Falco.

i have learned how they play on my own as you all know i like low-mid tiers. oh yes call me DP Dark or Pie. i know ppl have there own opention ( cant spell!:rolleyes:) on things im very open minded so share your thoghts (eh..:ohwell:) with me! :awesome:
If you use a newer web browser like Firefox misspelled words will have a a red underline telling you it's wrong. There's a lot of words I don't know how to spell but a quick Google search or right clicking something I got wrong only takes a few seconds. Plus it makes things you say easier to read and understand! :D /grammarnazi

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
I'm okay with people going low tier, but it makes you seem hungry for attention when you declare it to the world. Good luck with your characters though.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Let me give you a piece of advice, this is coming for someone who started out by playing Link and Roy competitively. Whatever you do, make sure you are enjoying playing the game to the fullest. Losing is not fun, and if you choose to main a character like GW you will lose a LOT and it's going to frustrate you. People gain positive enjoyable experiences trough this game mainly on successes, not on failures. No matter how determined you are to stick with a certain character, if you find yourself enjoying the game more because you win more by playing a better character, don't beat yourself up if you feel like switching. There are so many characters in this game that are utter **** and waste of space on the game disk from the competitive standpoint. Basically, whatever you do, make sure you have fun.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
^ that guy knows what's up.

Thing is, in smash the top tiers aren't good because they have that one overpowered options that they can/need to spam all day long in order to win. They are good because they have a vast list of options, that allows them to handle most, if not all situations fairly well. If of course you enjoy the challenge of spotting situations coming up that your character can't handle, and avoid them happening at all... then lower tier characters are obviously great for you.
E.g. GaW is a fairly nice character in a lot of areas (good hitboxes, okay combos and some quite powerful killing moves), but he has his weak points. For example his shield is complete garbage. An Issue that is further compounded by the joke that he refers to as "shield roll", so if you ever get in a situation where you can't evade by moving out of the way but rather have to shield, you're not going to be enjoying it.

Oh and Dr. Mario isn't really a low tier... he is super solid all around :)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
good luck. I mained pichu for like two years.
It's gonna be hard and frustrating, but if you put the time in you can do some pretty cool stuff.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I mained roy for like a year and a half, had a few tournament wins, and some losses when I felt like I should have won.

make sure you practice the game in general, play a bunch of characters on the side so you understand the game more overall.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I mained roy for like a year and a half, had a few tournament wins, and some losses when I felt like I should have won.

make sure you practice the game in general, play a bunch of characters on the side so you understand the game more overall.
I main Falco and have had the same experience. I really don't think maining a low tier affects all that much until you reach mid-level where gimmicks stop working. I actually think low tiers are much easier to win with at the actual beginner level (like when you're going 2 and out at tournaments) because your opponent's never played your character before and you can get some gimmicky kills. The problem seems to set in once your opponents are at the level where your gimmicks no longer work, and then the next level above that the opponents are good enough to capitalize on the free punishes (e.g. a low level Falcon missing the guaranteed KO on G&W is a Grand Canyon of a difference away from the kinda decent Falcon who knows to grab you at 50% and can hit the knee every time).

Overall, I think most people who quit on their low tier are using it as a scapegoat (probably unintentionally). They feel like they can't win anymore and everyone tells them it's because of their character so they change. Then they keep losing with the top tier they take a few months to get used to, and they become convinced it's because they wasted all their time maining a low tier. What they don't (and frankly, can't) realize is that people who have mained a top tier from day 1 go through the same exact thoughts. Plenty of people even feel like they have to change from one top tier to another so it's not like I think low tier players are johning more than top tier players. It's just more socially acceptable because people realize that low tiers DO limit you somewhat, even if it's not enough to justify any one loss in particular.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I main Falco and have had the same experience. I really don't think maining a low tier affects all that much until you reach mid-level where gimmicks stop working. I actually think low tiers are much easier to win with at the actual beginner level (like when you're going 2 and out at tournaments) because your opponent's never played your character before and you can get some gimmicky kills. The problem seems to set in once your opponents are at the level where your gimmicks no longer work, and then the next level above that the opponents are good enough to capitalize on the free punishes (e.g. a low level Falcon missing the guaranteed KO on G&W is a Grand Canyon of a difference away from the kinda decent Falcon who knows to grab you at 50% and can hit the knee every time).

Overall, I think most people who quit on their low tier are using it as a scapegoat (probably unintentionally). They feel like they can't win anymore and everyone tells them it's because of their character so they change. Then they keep losing with the top tier they take a few months to get used to, and they become convinced it's because they wasted all their time maining a low tier. What they don't (and frankly, can't) realize is that people who have mained a top tier from day 1 go through the same exact thoughts. Plenty of people even feel like they have to change from one top tier to another so it's not like I think low tier players are johning more than top tier players. It's just more socially acceptable because people realize that low tiers DO limit you somewhat, even if it's not enough to justify any one loss in particular.

never said I don't blow huge **** at this game dog.

But I get what you mean about the whole scapegoat mentality.

Top Bottom