• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My friends all hate the penguin...

p3ngw1nKing

Smash Cadet
I apologize if this sounds a little ranty/whiny... I'm just tired of all the crap my friends give me for using DDD.
How can you be mad at this face? :dedede:

I have been a fan of the king since Kirby's Dream Land 2, when I was like 7. I settled on using DDD a little over a year ago when my friends and I started playing PM regularly.

I put in some work and got really good with him, to the point that I consistently beat all my friends (well, except for the one who switched to Ivysaur because of this... terrible matchup). They all say he's a "cheap character" and constantly tell me how much they "hate that stupid hammer." When I started using Lucas more seriously they said, "Oh, you're finally using a real character?" Pffft!

I find this really frustrating. It's not my fault they make stupid mistakes like recovering too high and missing grabs/smashes. I just have a better understanding of the game than they do.

Sure, he's got an amazing grab, great range, and can get some sweet gimps, but I mean he's really not that good, right? He's a big, slow target and is very easy to combo. Plus his recovery is predictable and not really very safe. I find him pretty easy to beat with most characters (especially the ones my friends use).

He's even worse in Sm4sh, and I play him very rarely in that game because he's so different. Yet those few times I do switch to him, I get the same remarks.

Maybe my friends are just a bunch of sore losers? Maybe it's because they don't like the fact that he's always happy?
Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice on how I convince them that he's not such a terrible opponent?

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Maybe my friends are just a bunch of sore losers? Maybe it's because they don't like the fact that he's always happy?
Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice on how I convince them that he's not such a terrible opponent?
May I ask what characters your friends use? Maybe Dedede has really good match-ups with those characters. Either way though they sound like sore losers, you were spot on when you said he is combo fodder. Most characters in the cast can combo Dedede like it aint anyone's business, this is also why I feel people underrate Dedede a little. But if your spacing your moves, punishing their recoveries, and getting tech chase reads then your playing Dedede the right way and they should have no reason to complain about it.

p3ngw1nKing

Smash Cadet
I have 4 friends that complain about this. Here's who they are using, mains listed first:

Link
Ness, Link, Marth
Lucario, Sonic, Fox, Link, G&W
Ivysaur, Mewtwo, Marth, Ike (switched to Ivy so he could beat me)

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
In my experience, DDD either gets people extremely salty or extremely impressed. If they're salty, make them saliter by swallowciding.

And I dig that profile pic :}

p3ngw1nKing

Smash Cadet
LOL!! Got it! More salty swallocides! :dedede:

I have been thinking about this a little and I bet part of the problem is their lack of tech skill compared to me. I don't think any of them intentionally l-cancel (though their mains don't need it nearly as much as mine). So when I start sliding around and throwing out a bunch of aerials, I think they just get overwhelmed because they don't think I should be able to hit them so many times in a row (giving the impression that Dedede is somehow too good or unfair).

And I dig that profile pic :}
Thanks! I always. ALWAYS. use pink. Even non-Dedede characters. And I am known for this crouch... (I admit this lovely pose may be another reason for their saltiness... not that I spam it or do it disrespectfully. It's just a habit I have from my Melee days before I had any tech skill and would repeatedly crouch instead of shffl/wavedash/dash-dance like you see a lot in competitive play).

By the way, I love the pic in your sig!

trusty

Smash Apprentice
DDD is just SO damn trolly. But he's very fun to use for such a huge penguin. I'm still new to PM but his gimps are legitimately increasing my quality of life. :dedede::disco:

Top Bottom